PDA

View Full Version : Watch the UFL Draft

DraftBoy
05-01-2011, 06:53 PM
For those that are already making up their ideal UDFA roster pickups, need to wait till after tomorrow night. All those players are still eligible to be drafted by the UFL and I dont know if more than a few of those teams are going to take some shots.

Goobylal
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
You can jump from the UFL to the NFL mid-season, right?

Night Train
05-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Only if they have lesbian wrestling in between breaks. No other reason to watch.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-01-2011, 08:22 PM
You can jump from the UFL to the NFL mid-season, right?
Sort of. The UFL has structured themselves this year so that their season ends in October, giving players the opportunity to jump to the NFL once the season is over. The problem with just jumping is that last year they started putting in non-compete clauses and not releasing them until after the NFL season ended in the hopes of extracting a $25,000 payment (i.e. half the player's standard $50,000 full season salary) in exchange for releasing their rights to the NFL. It's arguably illegal (at least in California) and it went over like a lead balloon last year, so I'm not sure they'll try it again this year.

YardRat
05-01-2011, 09:04 PM
If any of them are smart, they'll take fliers on Newton, Gabbert, Mallett etc for the future.

Crisis
05-02-2011, 12:30 AM
this thread made me look up jp losman, he's 30 already.... can't believe how long ago that was.

DraftBoy
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
If any of them are smart, they'll take fliers on Newton, Gabbert, Mallett etc for the future.

Players that were drafted are the property of NFL teams and are not eligible for the UFL draft. At least that is my understanding.

alohabillsfan
05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I dont see it on espn?

Raptor
05-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Players that were drafted are the property of NFL teams and are not eligible for the UFL draft. At least that is my understanding.

Correct

and any player that signs a deal will have a NFL release clause in their deal

The ultimate goal for the UFL unlike other leagues who wanted to be the NFL's competition is to eventually become the minor league for the NFL. So I wouldn't look for them to really rock the boat with drafted players or any big name UDFA

Johnny Bugmenot
05-02-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't know if that's technically enforceable, since the UFL is outside the NFL's jurisdiction and unless a player signs a contract, the team that drafted him can prevent other NFL teams from tampering, but not other leagues. After all, the AFL and NFL poached each other frequently leading up to the merger, and the WFL did poaching in the 70s, too. The UFL is not nearly as aggressive as those leagues, so they won't go after existing NFL contracts, but legally, there really isn't anything that can stop them from going after players who haven't signed a contract... at least without raising the ire of antitrust lawyers, anyway.

DraftBoy
05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
I don't know if that's technically enforceable, since the UFL is outside the NFL's jurisdiction and unless a player signs a contract, the team that drafted him can prevent other NFL teams from tampering, but not other leagues. After all, the AFL and NFL poached each other frequently leading up to the merger, and the WFL did poaching in the 70s, too. The UFL is not nearly as aggressive as those leagues, so they won't go after existing NFL contracts, but legally, there really isn't anything that can stop them from going after players who haven't signed a contract... at least without raising the ire of antitrust lawyers, anyway.

Technically I think there is. Since the draft falls under the old CBA which states that once teams draft a player they retain all rights. That doesnt change this year because of a lockout. Plus as Raptor pointed out above the UFL has no interest in competing with the NFL, it would prefer to be their minor league system. Which is why this year is so important to them. If they can snatch up Pat Devlin, Terrance Tolliver, Mario Harvey, and a 5-7 more per team why wouldnt you watch?

Especially if you knew these guys were going to be available as soon as October for a late season playoff push?

DraftBoy
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Correct

and any player that signs a deal will have a NFL release clause in their deal

The ultimate goal for the UFL unlike other leagues who wanted to be the NFL's competition is to eventually become the minor league for the NFL. So I wouldn't look for them to really rock the boat with drafted players or any big name UDFA

Yes and per the official UFL Twitter feed this morning in response to my question the specific UFL contracts requirements this year (including the amount for a release) is still being negotiated.

I will disagree with your final point. I expect them to go after the bigger name UDFA's. I think its the perfect storm for them, if they want to ever become a true minor league system this is the time to do it. Grab 30-40 of the best guys you can get from this years undrafted class and you're going to generate a lot of buzz and attention. Keep in mind there are only 5 UFL teams, so that's roughly 6-8 players per roster.

Just saying Id much rather watch Pat Devlin toss the ball around than JP Losman.

DraftBoy
05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I dont see it on espn?

Not on TV, only on Twitter.

Follow @theUFL for the official feed and all five teams for their picks.

alohabillsfan
05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Not on TV, only on Twitter.

Follow @theUFL for the official feed and all five teams for their picks.

LOL, I was only kidding.:usflag:

DraftBoy
05-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Those interested, 8pm tonight.

Follow the following;
@theUFL
@OmahaNighthawks
@LasVegasLocos
@VADestroyers
@theColonials
@SacMtnLions

Raptor
05-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes and per the official UFL Twitter feed this morning in response to my question the specific UFL contracts requirements this year (including the amount for a release) is still being negotiated.

I will disagree with your final point. I expect them to go after the bigger name UDFA's. I think its the perfect storm for them, if they want to ever become a true minor league system this is the time to do it. Grab 30-40 of the best guys you can get from this years undrafted class and you're going to generate a lot of buzz and attention. Keep in mind there are only 5 UFL teams, so that's roughly 6-8 players per roster.

Just saying Id much rather watch Pat Devlin toss the ball around than JP Losman.

I meant that in more relation to the NFL release clause.

DraftBoy
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
I meant that in more relation to the NFL release clause.

No I know, and with the chance that their might not even be a training camp for these kid to get into this year it wouldnt surprise if a top guy like a Pat Devlin took a shot at the UFL. Used it a training camp and pre-season till October. If he does well (which he should) he's an easy pick for a NFL contract.

Just my 2 cents though.

stuckincincy
05-02-2011, 04:49 PM

Tell that to the judges that are struggling with the player's right to ply their trade. : -)

:horror:

TedMock
05-02-2011, 05:03 PM

I agree that this could be the perfect storm for the UFL. The original thought was that it could potentially end up a minor league system of sorts, but that is not even close to being in the works right now. The UFL had early limited success and they did a few things to piss the wrong people off. Somebody already mentioned the buyout clause they required last year which upset the NFL and the UFL players who got NFL looks. The UFL has also lost money at a rapid rate. Some players still haven't been paid game checks from last season. The UFL also lied about attendance numbers in several venues in order to attract TV and radio. One particular outfit was burned good. The league also almost had a nasty hiccup just before last season because teams were promised their own GM's. The year before, one person drafted for every team. They did finally relent and hire GM's though. The potential is there. They just need to cut the arrogance and mend some relationships first.

mrbojanglezs
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
if I was a player on the margin I would almost want to withdraw from the UFL draft and try to be picked up as a UDFA by an NFL club

Johnny Bugmenot
05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm watching this draft on Twitter (http://twitter.com/theUFL) and it's quite entertaining.

The Virginia Destroyers just drafted Adrian Peterson. (No, not THAT Adrian Peterson-- the former Bears backup, Adrian Peterson.)

And if you thought the Bills were myopic in their draft, check out the Hartford Colonials. Jerry Glanville has used all five of his first-round picks on offensive linemen.

mysticsoto
05-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Alot of people liked Herzlich in the draft...looks like he's going to the UFL.

Per Rotoworld:

Boston College LB Mark Herzlich was selected with the 51st overall pick in Monday's United Football League draft.

He went to the Omaha Nighthawks. The UFL has proposed that undrafted rookies like Herzlich prepare themselves for the NFL by playing in their league until roughly October. By that time, they will have gained some pro-style football experience and would be theoretically more prepared. Players like Herzlich's best bet, if possible, is still to get into an NFL summer camp.

DraftBoy
05-03-2011, 07:30 AM
That draft was a lot of fun!

Some good UDFA talent went as well;
Jeremiah Masoli
Jerrod Johnson
Mario Fanning
Jamel Hamler
Derrick Locke
Mark Herzlich
Ugo Chinasa
Josh Gaitlin