PDA

View Full Version : The Bills Sticking to their plan

ghz in pittsburgh
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
The most tell-tale sign is how they passed QBs. Once Newton is gone, they pretty much focused on the defense which, by all indication before and after the draft, is their main plan.

I remember vividly the Losman draft conducted by Donahoe (who is a pretty good dealer btw). They liked Roethlisberger but was not willing to pay enough to jump over the Steelers. Then they looked down to the next best thing and trade up for Losman.

I just don't know for 1st round QBs, you can go by the next best thing.

We'll wait and see what they do next year. If a QB is within striking distance like Rothlisberger was, I hope they go all in to go up and get him, instead of settling for lesser quality.

justasportsfan
05-02-2011, 12:31 PM
I just don't know for 1st round QBs, you can go by the next best thing.

rogers was the next best thing. You can say the same about Marino.

madness
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
I liked our draft but I'm still disgusted Newton was supposedly on top of our draft board.

DrGraves
05-02-2011, 12:42 PM
AMERICA! **** YEA!

Ginger Vitis
05-02-2011, 01:20 PM
They liked Roethlisberger but was not willing to pay enough to jump over the Steelers. Then they looked down to the next best thing and trade up for Losman.

So Donahoe was willing to give up a 1st Round pick in 2005 to trade up and get Losman..but wasn't willing to give up a 1st round pick in 2005 to trade up ahead of the Steelers to get the guy he most wanted Roethlisberger.. Donahoe butchered that so bad

ct bills fan
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
So Donahoe was willing to give up a 1st Round pick in 2005 to trade up and get Losman..but wasn't willing to give up a 1st round pick in 2005 to trade up ahead of the Steelers to get the guy he most wanted Roethlisberger.. Donahoe butchered that so bad

From what I've read, Donohoe had a deal in place with Jackonsviille to move ahead of Pittsburgh and draft Rothlisberger. Jax backed out because they really wanted this receiver (Williams?) and took him, even though he'd very likely be available a couple of picks later with the Buffalo pick. Buffalo stayed put and took Evans and Jax got their received who turned out to be a big bust; so lose/lose in this case.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-02-2011, 01:49 PM
rogers was the next best thing. You can say the same about Marino.

Rogers in year 1 and 2 was widely considered a bust. In other words, he's the kind of guy that when evaluated out of college, very difficult to see the good side. Had he been thrown to real actions like most other 1st round QBs, he might not be where he is today or at minimum, be delayed in his progress.

There are a lot going on to QB development. The ideal scenario being like Steve Young in San Fran and Rogers in Green Bay where they get to watch a HOF in front of them every day from practice to field while they themselves has the physical abilities.

In most other cases, the highly touted QBs must go through this by themselves, which would be much harder. So I think Rogers is not your typical QB example.

Night Train
05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
I liked our draft but I'm still disgusted Newton was supposedly on top of our draft board.

I'm not buying it.

Sully is saving face after 2 weeks of calling for a QB. Plus his boy Gabbert got passed over for Locker.

Welcome, Dareus.

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
That's what they say. We'll never know if it's true now will we?

Glad it worked out this way though.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
From what I've read, Donohoe had a deal in place with Jackonsviille to move ahead of Pittsburgh and draft Rothlisberger. Jax backed out because they really wanted this receiver (Williams?) and took him, even though he'd very likely be available a couple of picks later with the Buffalo pick. Buffalo stayed put and took Evans and Jax got their received who turned out to be a big bust; so lose/lose in this case.

What I remembered was actually with Houston where Capers at the time really wanted Dunta Robinson. Maybe Donahoe had a deal with Jacksonville as well.

My point is that if he could not make a deal to get big Ben, then forget about it instead of reaching for the next QB just for the sake of it "getting a QB", much like the Bills were set out to do this time around.

The botton line is that Donahoe was never a football talent evaluator. I always hold that belief. He came from administrative side of the operation, though he is very good at wheeling and dealing and well connected to know what's going on everywhere. I remember reports later came out that Modrak believed guys with Roethlisberger's ability usually succeed in NFL, and Donahoe got inside info from the Steelers that they were going to take big Ben as well. But he himself does not have great conviction one way or the other, which led to the decision of "let's get the next guy".

Mr. Miyagi
05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not buying it.

Sully is saving face after 2 weeks of calling for a QB. Plus his boy Gabbert got passed over for Locker.

Welcome, Dareus.
Nix in his press conference implied to something similar though. He said something along the line of "we wanted a franchise (QB) guy but he wasn't there when we picked so we went with defense".

ghz in pittsburgh
05-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Nix in his press conference implied to something similar though. He said something along the line of "we wanted a franchise (QB) guy but he wasn't there when we picked so we went with defense".

Nix actually said something like "that ended very quickly" which most people, including me, interpreted that he meant Newton who came off the board on the very 1st pick.

I do, however, suspect that had Ponder and Locker available at 34, things might be different.