PDA

View Full Version : Yes, we have lost our minds

X-Era
05-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Did I miss something? Because as I see it, were a 4 and 12 team. This is a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 11 years and then was in for one game and immediately out. Yet somehow, on a 4 and 12 team, were supposed to believe that we have the answer at QB? Did I mention we won 4 games last year?

No, it's not all our quarterbacks fault. And yes, it's remotely possible that we can get to and win the SB with a top defense and Fitz. Notice I said remotely. But were still a long way off from that defense. Maybe we didn't lose because of him. But, we sure as hell didn't win enough because of him either. I mean let's review his performance. Last year he ranked 22nd in the league in passers rating, 22nd in passing yards, 13th in touchdowns, and 27th in completion percentage. That's barely average and in fact below average. But we can win with him? What data do we have to support that? He can beat the Pats? or Jets? because they are ahead of us in this division. What data do we have to support that? Did I mention we only won 4 games?

I have no problem with supporting Fitz as the answer for now. We have no other choice. There is no better option. I hoped that the Bills would find a prospect in this years draft that they felt would be the franchise quarterback we so desperately need. They clearly didn't feel that they found that guy. OP put's it best, Needing a franchise quaterback won't make one appear. I'm fine with that. As I said all along, if the Bills drafted a guy they thought would develop into the answer, I was fine with it. However, the flip side is also true, if the didn't they shouldn't try to force it. But, we better not dare end the search. We have no justification for doing that. If anything, you better roll up your sleeves and work harder. Because not having a franchise quarterback appear doesn't make the need disappear either.

And more importantly, even if they do believe in Fitz, even if they want no other option, any fan of the Bills who has watched us lose 4 Super Bowls and not return to the payoffs for 11 years would not be sold on anyone or anything at this point. NOR SHOULD THEY BE. Losing your mind is when you see things that aren't there. Could Fitz become the franchise quarterback that we need, anything can happen. But he isn't now. And to actually root against finding a franchise quarterback when he has not proven he is all we need is nuts. Some feel just fine at quarterback yet we, and he, won a total of 4 lousy games last year. The data speaks for itself. The search must continue.

If you choose to think positively on Fitz, so be it, I think you should. And yes, I will as well. But I won't root against trying to find the real solution while we give this guy a shot. But for a team that last went to the Super Bowl with a HOF QB and has missed the playoffs for 11 years and that has a quarterback with less than average numbers, I'm frankly floored that we would try to feel like we are all set. Since when is 4 and 12 "all set"? Since when is settling for mediocrity OK? Is that what we've come to? Because that's crazy. I won't do it.

Root for the guy, root for the Bills. But continue to look for something much better while we remain realistic about what we do and don't have. Not finding the answer right now is fine. We shouldn't force it. But don't settle forever, don't stop looking for something better. Be supportive while we wait. But don't try to convince yourself were all set until the the team proves it; until they win a SB or even just get to the damn playoffs. And until that happens, the reality is the search continues in earnest. The search is still on.

T-Long
05-02-2011, 08:11 PM
well said my friend...I've been on this boat for awhile now. We are not going to the playoffs with Fitz as our QB this year or three years down the road. We are going to be better than 4-12 this year, but not .500. What that does is gets the Bills out of play for Luck or Barkley. We start the cycle all over again. I like Aaron Williams, I really do, but I think they should have taken Andy Dalton at 34 and learned a year under Fitz, then taken the reigns. Who's to say how he is going to do? All I know is, the kid is a winner, and we may be regretting passing on him in Round 2.

kelly2reed4six
05-02-2011, 08:16 PM
my general perception is that most of the people on here have not been saying that we don't need to worry about finding a franchise QB. No one in their right mind thinks fitz is a franchise QB......of course anything can happen, but its doubtful.....I think the general consensus here is that we would rather stick it out another year with Fitz than reach for one of the QB's in this draft class and have them set us back yet AGAIN.....

say we drafted Gabbert and he busts, and in the mean time Dareus is eating o-lines for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on another team....then we still need an elite QB AND an elite tackle.....Dareus is nearly "bust proof"....the QB's in this years class are not.....

X-Era
05-02-2011, 08:20 PM
my general perception is that most of the people on here have not been saying that we don't need to worry about finding a franchise QB. No one in their right mind thinks fitz is a franchise QB......of course anything can happen, but its doubtful.....I think the general consensus here is that we would rather stick it out another year with Fitz than reach for one of the QB's in this draft class and have them set us back yet AGAIN.....

say we drafted Gabbert and he busts, and in the mean time Dareus is eating o-lines for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on another team....then we still need an elite QB AND an elite tackle.....Dareus is nearly "bust proof"....the QB's in this years class are not.....I'm fine with that. And as other needs get addressed, this need moves up. It never should have been down the list at all IMO. And if the front office can do the math and see that they aren't getting a shot at what they need from the draft, they should have already been looking elsewhere. A team with a huge need like this needs to be looking at least one year in advance at what they can get from next years draft. If it doesn't look like the answer will be available for us next year either, you better adjust to a new plan.

kelly2reed4six
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
well said my friend...I've been on this boat for awhile now. We are not going to the playoffs with Fitz as our QB this year or three years down the road. We are going to be better than 4-12 this year, but not .500. What that does is gets the Bills out of play for Luck or Barkley. We start the cycle all over again. I like Aaron Williams, I really do, but I think they should have taken Andy Dalton at 34 and learned a year under Fitz, then taken the reigns. Who's to say how he is going to do? All I know is, the kid is a winner, and we may be regretting passing on him in Round 2.

You are right that we could regret passing on Dalton....then again if he busts and Williams turns into a solid component on this defense than you can argue the same exact point for Williams. "could" is the name of the game.

The fact is, Andrew Luck is not the god of all QB's.....any QB can bust. And just because we are not picking in the top 5 doesn't mean we aren't getting a franchise QB.

Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, Schaub, Cutler, Flacco....and of course there are your unlikely guys like Brady, Romo, and Warner....

Some of you guys are acting like unless we are drafting top 5 we aren't getting a QB.....yeah, some great QB's have come out of those top few picks....but a lot great ones have come outside of the top 10 as well.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I support Nix's strategy 100%. That's just me though.

T-Long
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
You are right that we could regret passing on Dalton....then again if he busts and Williams turns into a solid component on this defense than you can argue the same exact point for Williams. "could" is the name of the game.

The fact is, Andrew Luck is not the god of all QB's.....any QB can bust. And just because we are not picking in the top 5 doesn't mean we aren't getting a franchise QB.

Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, Schaub, Cutler, Flacco....and of course there are your unlikely guys like Brady, Romo, and Warner....

Some of you guys are acting like unless we are drafting top 5 we aren't getting a QB.....yeah, some great QB's have come out of those top few picks....but a lot great ones have come outside of the top 10 as well.

Luck and Barkley could very well go 1 and 2 in 2012, which is why I feel like we need to be there to land one of them.

Of course, the draft is a crapshoot. But I don't think we need to necessarily land one there, I just got done saying Andy Dalton would have been a great addition at 34.

elltrain22
05-02-2011, 08:38 PM
You make very good points X and I will completely agree that Fitz is no where near a long term solution. He is a stop gap until we draft a "franchise" type qb. Here are some reasons that I am on board w/ us not drafting a qb THIS year.

1.) Jauron, Levy, and company ****ed this roster up so much, that Nix & Gailey have had to retool the whole roster. I think they've done a pretty nice job, but it takes time.

2.) Other than Gabbert, and if you consider Newton one, there weren't any "franchise" type qb's. IMHO, this years crop of qb's was below average, especially compared to previous years. There was really no need to draft guys like Dalton, Kaepernick, and/or Mallett b/c they were not long term solutions, and could possibly be even a worse option than Fitz (probably not, but its conceivable)

3.) Our offense wasn't great, but it was competitve last year. It was actually legit when we had Parrish,and a somewhat healthy off-line. That was only 1 year under Gailey's guidance, and the future can only become brighter. The need to draft offense, given the other needs, was minimal, b/c from there point of view, and most of ours, the offense is good enough to score points, and has the potential to be good (not great)

4.) Our defense was awful to watch. No pass rush, terrible run defense, terrible lb'ers, not very many turnovers, and a complete lack of depth, at all positions. The idea to draft defense mainly, was a no-brainer. Taking a DT over a qb was a great pick, and IMO one that will help this franchise out immediately. Maybe we shoulda rolled the dice in the 2nd or 3rd w/ Dalton, Kapp, and/or Mallett, but I don't disagree w/ us upgrading our defensive unit.

5.) This team is still not a playoff team, and I think at best (that is assuming we play football this year) we're an 8 win team. With that said, if we win 5-8 games this year, we will once again be in a top 7-15 draft slot, and if we want our qb then, there might be just as good, maybe even a better qb prospect. We all think Luck will go #1, but ya never know, b/c he may in fact nose dive just like Jake Locker did, especially since Harbaugh, and alot of talent have left Stanford. I'm willing to wait till next year.
========================================================

X-Era
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Luck and Barkley could very well go 1 and 2 in 2012, which is why I feel like we need to be there to land one of them.

Of course, the draft is a crapshoot. But I don't think we need to necessarily land one there, I just got done saying Andy Dalton would have been a great addition at 34.Very realistic possibility which puts us out of the running unless we make a trade up. The cost will be huge.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Fitz is the 2nd best qb in the afc east, hes way better than sanchez. all we need is a veteran backup. build the 2000 ravens defense and kill brady!

Raptor
05-02-2011, 09:37 PM
No matter what Fitz was going to be the starter and Im confused as to what you wanted the Bills to do?

Did you want them to trade up for Cam because I cant see that being worth it

Draft Gabbert? I'll never comment on a college QB again if he becomes a franchise QB, thats how confident I am that he will never amount to anything

Reach for Locker or Ponder at #3? I dont see either becoming anything more than above avg

Take Dalton in the second? Maybe, but honestly he went from being an underrated to overrated real fast in the draft process

and drafting one after the early second round history shows is pretty much throwing away a pick

Im with you that getting a franchise QB is the biggest need but taking one for the sake of taking one is a massive mistake. I didnt like any of the QB's in this draft to turn into a franchise guy and a lot of draft experts agreed. Even Buddy said if they thought a franchise guy was on the board when they picked they wouldnt hesitate to take him. They clearly didnt think one was there and I trust them. Nix was in the war room when the Chargers drafted both Brees and Rivers, Modrak drafted McNabb, Gailey has shown he knows a lil something about offense and that he can get a lot out of QB's. Those guys didnt see a franchise guy in this draft when they were on the board and I agree with them

BertSquirtgum
05-02-2011, 09:43 PM
i don't understand the point of this thread. i think everyone knows we still need a franchise qb. it's just that there was no one worth picking when the Bills were up at the podium.

YardRat
05-02-2011, 09:48 PM
We were 4-12 because we didn't have the answer at any position, not just QB.

Beebe's Kid
05-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Like I tell my buddies... We can, and will, win with Fitz. If loving Fitz is wrong, I don't want to he right.

I genuinely like the guy. The beard, the Harvard thing, the fact that he wears his wedding ring on the field, his big head, and bigger heart.

That helps with the the "we can't win with Fitz," or the people that don't have a hair in their ass to say he's good, because they might be wrong. Maybe they just can't believe in him, but to hear people say he can't do it makes me like him that much more.

I have to throw out there...people always say we can't win a SB wig Fitz... Well that is a pretty tall order isn't it? Considering we've never won, and that everybody wants the next Jim, even though he never won...

Fitzy will have the women of Buffalo growing beards this year. Pro-Bowl, and he bears Brady...twice.

better days
05-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Did I miss something? Because as I see it, were a 4 and 12 team. This is a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 11 years and then was in for one game and immediately out. Yet somehow, on a 4 and 12 team, were supposed to believe that we have the answer at QB? Did I mention we won 4 games last year?

No, it's not all our quarterbacks fault. And yes, it's remotely possible that we can get to and win the SB with a top defense and Fitz. Notice I said remotely. But were still a long way off from that defense. Maybe we didn't lose because of him. But, we sure as hell didn't win enough because of him either. I mean let's review his performance. Last year he ranked 22nd in the league in passers rating, 22nd in passing yards, 13th in touchdowns, and 27th in completion percentage. That's barely average and in fact below average. But we can win with him? What data do we have to support that? He can beat the Pats? or Jets? because they are ahead of us in this division. What data do we have to support that? Did I mention we only won 4 games?

I have no problem with supporting Fitz as the answer for now. We have no other choice. There is no better option. I hoped that the Bills would find a prospect in this years draft that they felt would be the franchise quarterback we so desperately need. They clearly didn't feel that they found that guy. OP put's it best, Needing a franchise quaterback won't make one appear. I'm fine with that. As I said all along, if the Bills drafted a guy they thought would develop into the answer, I was fine with it. However, the flip side is also true, if the didn't they shouldn't try to force it. But, we better not dare end the search. We have no justification for doing that. If anything, you better roll up your sleeves and work harder. Because not having a franchise quarterback appear doesn't make the need disappear either.

And more importantly, even if they do believe in Fitz, even if they want no other option, any fan of the Bills who has watched us lose 4 Super Bowls and not return to the payoffs for 11 years would not be sold on anyone or anything at this point. NOR SHOULD THEY BE. Losing your mind is when you see things that aren't there. Could Fitz become the franchise quarterback that we need, anything can happen. But he isn't now. And to actually root against finding a franchise quarterback when he has not proven he is all we need is nuts. Some feel just fine at quarterback yet we, and he, won a total of 4 lousy games last year. The data speaks for itself. The search must continue.

If you choose to think positively on Fitz, so be it, I think you should. And yes, I will as well. But I won't root against trying to find the real solution while we give this guy a shot. But for a team that last went to the Super Bowl with a HOF QB and has missed the playoffs for 11 years and that has a quarterback with less than average numbers, I'm frankly floored that we would try to feel like we are all set. Since when is 4 and 12 "all set"? Since when is settling for mediocrity OK? Is that what we've come to? Because that's crazy. I won't do it.

Root for the guy, root for the Bills. But continue to look for something much better while we remain realistic about what we do and don't have. Not finding the answer right now is fine. We shouldn't force it. But don't settle forever, don't stop looking for something better. Be supportive while we wait. But don't try to convince yourself were all set until the the team proves it; until they win a SB or even just get to the damn playoffs. And until that happens, the reality is the search continues in earnest. The search is still on.

Well, what do you suggest that Nix should have done in this draft or do now in free agency? I don't think there was a better QB than Fitz in the draft & I don't think a better QB will be available in free agency either.

Nix at least has the ship pointed in the right direction. A number of gaping holes were filled in the draft & I expect a few more to be filled in free agency. When a GREAT QB becomes available the Bills should be poised to make that leap to the level of playoff teams.

psubills62
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Dang it, I had a whole long response typed up and then accidentally hit refresh and lost it.

Well, I'll try to boil it down. We aren't taking a QB unless he's a franchise guy. There have been NONE available to us in the draft in the two years that Nix and Gailey have been here. Why reach on a guy whose upside is Trent Edwards? Why spend a first round pick on a guy who is more likely to end up like Kyle Boller than even Joe Flacco?

Fitz is not great, nobody's pretending he is. But I have not seen a single QB available to us in the draft that has made me say "Yes, that kid will be a significant upgrade on Fitz." If you can't improve your team with the pick don't make it.

I subscribe to the Baltimore/Green Bay/Pittsburgh mold of building a team: talent first, QB when available. Build a dominant defense and get talent on both sides of the ball. When you do that, you'll have the luxury of taking a QB who has upside and grooming him. Are we going to reach a SB with Fitz? No. But I do believe it's very possible for us to make the playoffs with Fitz if we put talent around him. We need talent, period, not just a QB.

Build the defense and OL first. Then get a QB and WR's to help him out. That's how you build a team, UNLESS you find a Peyton Manning kind of guy. Only one that I've seen lately has been Bradford, and we had no chance of getting him. To be honest, none of the guys I've seen available to us have been even close to significant upgrades on Fitz, so why bother taking them?

TacklingDummy
05-02-2011, 10:09 PM
I'm not sure what's so hard to understand that this QB draft class was poor. You don't draft a turd QB just because you think you need one. See JP Losman.

TacklingDummy
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Drafting Gabbert, Ponder, or Dalton would have set this franchise back another 5 years. That's not what I call improving.

kelly2reed4six
05-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Like I tell my buddies... We can, and will, win with Fitz. If loving Fitz is wrong, I don't want to he right.

I genuinely like the guy. The beard, the Harvard thing, the fact that he wears his wedding ring on the field, his big head, and bigger heart.

That helps with the the "we can't win with Fitz," or the people that don't have a hair in their ass to say he's good, because they might be wrong. Maybe they just can't believe in him, but to hear people say he can't do it makes me like him that much more.

I have to throw out there...people always say we can't win a SB wig Fitz... Well that is a pretty tall order isn't it? Considering we've never won, and that everybody wants the next Jim, even though he never won...

Fitzy will have the women of Buffalo growing beards this year. Pro-Bowl, and he bears Brady...twice.

I like your enthusiasm! Go Bills!!

THATHURMANATOR
05-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I feel like this was a waste of a lot of words. Unless you supported taking Gabbert over Dareus, which I feel would have been ******ed.....

I don't think there is one person on this board who wouldnt say we could upgrade at QB. Fitz is the man for now. We don't have a choice.

justasportsfan
05-02-2011, 11:17 PM
i don't understand the point of this thread. i think everyone knows we still need a franchise qb. it's just that there was no one worth picking when the Bills were up at the podium.

exactly. Its been said several times already need a franchise qb. Majority agrees. in the meantime since we didnt land one in this draft, i dont see whats wrong with fixing the D in the meantime.

Its getting redundant

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:48 AM
We were 4-12 because we didn't have the answer at any position, not just QB.Agreed. That's why I made sure to say that.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 06:07 AM
I feel like this was a waste of a lot of words. Unless you supported taking Gabbert over Dareus, which I feel would have been ******ed.....

I don't think there is one person on this board who wouldnt say we could upgrade at QB. Fitz is the man for now. We don't have a choice.We better be looking at every angle to get the long term answer. And yet some here will root against a QB in next years draft as well... long before we have the final ranks, and certainly no matter what the Bills think of the guy.

And I don't have a problem with a big trade to get the answer. How many years will we watch top prospects get drafted because were drafting too low and cannot find a solution from elsewhere? Sam Bradford, Cam Newton (no I didn't want us to trade up for him), but what about Luck next year? There will be a free for all for that guy and will we get involved? To get the only guy that's sure-fire in next years draft at this point? Not likely. Do you think the same fans that rooted against drafting a QB this year will root for giving up many pick to get to #1 to get Luck?

We need that answer. And so far it either has been that we had no shot at drafting the guy, or that the guys we could have drafted weren't it. Well, how long will that trend continue? We won't be drafting at 3 next year IMO. And if it goes the way I think it might, we will be looking at Luck #1 and Barkley #2 and then everyone else. We won't be able to draft either without a big move up.

My point is that the search should not only continue, but intensify as we fill in other needs. If we can't get the answer from the draft, we should be looking elsewhere.

alohabillsfan
05-03-2011, 06:27 AM
Anyone else care to kick this dead horse.

zone
05-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Great Defense wins games, there was not sure thing at QB but rest assured with Dareus on that line next year teams will not be rushing for 200 yards a game.

Fitz is serviceable and was able to score enough points to win games last year. This is his second year in the system with young developing weapons, if the Defense can stay of the field I see no reason we can not make the playoffs with Fitz at QB.

Of course we need a Franchise QB for the future, but that was not happening this year.

THATHURMANATOR
05-03-2011, 07:44 AM
We better be looking at every angle to get the long term answer. And yet some here will root against a QB in next years draft as well... long before we have the final ranks, and certainly no matter what the Bills think of the guy.

And I don't have a problem with a big trade to get the answer. How many years will we watch top prospects get drafted because were drafting too low and cannot find a solution from elsewhere? Sam Bradford, Cam Newton (no I didn't want us to trade up for him), but what about Luck next year? There will be a free for all for that guy and will we get involved? To get the only guy that's sure-fire in next years draft at this point? Not likely. Do you think the same fans that rooted against drafting a QB this year will root for giving up many pick to get to #1 to get Luck?

We need that answer. And so far it either has been that we had no shot at drafting the guy, or that the guys we could have drafted weren't it. Well, how long will that trend continue? We won't be drafting at 3 next year IMO. And if it goes the way I think it might, we will be looking at Luck #1 and Barkley #2 and then everyone else. We won't be able to draft either without a big move up.

My point is that the search should not only continue, but intensify as we fill in other needs. If we can't get the answer from the draft, we should be looking elsewhere.
Yeah we all know this. Who is not on board with this?

ddaryl
05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
If Fitz would have played all 16 games he would have been rated close to the 10th best QB in the league last year...

considering we had a very young OL and WR core that was gainng experience last year. numerous O injuries..... etc.... Fitz had a very solid season last year.

Which is why the Bills DID NOT HAVE TO reach for a QB and sacrifice a chance at a true immediate impact player at #3

PTI
05-03-2011, 09:03 AM
If Fitz would have played all 13 games he would have been rated close to the 10th best QB in the league last year...

considering we had a very young OL and WR core that was gainng experience last year. numerous O injuries..... etc.... Fitz had a very solid season last year.

Which is why the Bills DID NOT HAVE TO reach for a QB and sacrifice a chance at a true immediate impact player at #3

Complete lie. His numbers show otherwise.

THATHURMANATOR
05-03-2011, 09:09 AM
Again fine but what was the alternative to Fitz... Show me something and I might understand your rants of late.

better days
05-03-2011, 09:18 AM

OK post the numbers of the top 9 QB's & Fitz's numbers & show us the lie.

cgbm
05-03-2011, 10:57 AM

i like this post.

but if your going to try and prove that qb's out of the top five are good. dont use jay cutler as your example. haha

cgbm
05-03-2011, 11:06 AM

thats good because you wont.

i love fitz as a person. he is everything i want at qb..... except..... he doesnt have the talent.

his beard has been the topic of many conversations in my world. it is beyond great.

i agree with you in that jim never won a sb so how can we expect our qb too. fact is if we make it to the superbowl i will bragg about that for years. and count that as a hugely successfull season.

if the women of b-lo grow beards i will move back up there and find my next wife immediatly. but that is as likely as fitz making it to a SB

Bill Cody
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Dareus > Gabbert case closed

Dalton = Fitz case closed

The only thing I had a little twinge on was Kaepernick. Project but an athletic guy with size that we could groom for a couple years. I'd be interested to know where we had him on our board because he went soon after we picked. But I had no interest in passing on Dareus to reach for Gabbert, not many on this board did.

There is a danger of upgrading your talent without having a franchise QB- you get as far as mediocre and then stop. I don't have a solution really except hope we get lucky next year.

stuckincincy
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
thats good because you wont.

i love fitz as a person. he is everything i want at qb..... except..... he doesnt have the talent.

his beard has been the topic of many conversations in my world. it is beyond great.

i agree with you in that jim never won a sb so how can we expect our qb too. fact is if we make it to the superbowl i will bragg about that for years. and count that as a hugely successfull season.

if the women of b-lo grow beards i will move back up there and find my next wife immediatly. but that is as likely as fitz making it to a SB

Old joke:

"She's had so many face lifts, she's now sporting a beard..."

:laughing:

cgbm
05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Old joke:

"She's had so many face lifts, she's now sporting a beard..."

:laughing:

hahhahahah love it

Historian
05-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I like SI's take on this:

Essentially, they feel the team that has drafted the best over the last decade (more like 40 years, lol) is Pittsburgh.

Why?

Because they begin at the lines at draft out from there. Their trenches are superb, their skills positions just good enough to compete EVERY ****** YEAR.

That being said, Fitz reminds me of Ferguson:

Very intellegent
Decent arm, can throw long or touch passes.
Has that 'third eye' in the back of his head as far as the rush goes.
Throws the game losing INT whan the game is on the line.

I can live with that for now. Long term.....eh?

THATHURMANATOR
05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Dareus > Gabbert case closed

Dalton = Fitz case closed

The only thing I had a little twinge on was Kaepernick. Project but an athletic guy with size that we could groom for a couple years. I'd be interested to know where we had him on our board because he went soon after we picked. But I had no interest in passing on Dareus to reach for Gabbert, not many on this board did.

There is a danger of upgrading your talent without having a franchise QB- you get as far as mediocre and then stop. I don't have a solution really except hope we get lucky next year.
Exactly. I actually read a couple of the articles on Dalton that showed his NFL comparison to be Fitz. Do we really think Dalton would have been an upgrade? Especially next season?

X-Era
05-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Anyone else care to kick this dead horse.Don't worry, it will rear up soon enough.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Yeah we all know this. Who is not on board with this?I ain't pointing fingers... they are here.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 03:35 PM
If Fitz would have played all 13 games he would have been rated close to the 10th best QB in the league last year...

Which is why the Bills DID NOT HAVE TO reach for a QB and sacrifice a chance at a true immediate impact player at #33 more games helps his completion percentage?

X-Era
05-03-2011, 03:37 PM
if the women of b-lo grow beards i will move back up there and find my next wife immediatly. but that is as likely as fitz making it to a SBYou're not helping. Clearly you haven't been to Buffalo.

PromoTheRobot
05-03-2011, 03:39 PM
We don't have a Manning or a Brady but Fitz is not the worst QB in the NFL either. Let's fix the D this year and give Fitz another shot. There will be a boatload of QBs to draft next year.

PTR

X-Era
05-03-2011, 03:53 PM
We don't have a Manning or a Brady but Fitz is not the worst QB in the NFL either. Let's fix the D this year and give Fitz another shot. There will be a boatload of QBs to draft next year.

PTRSounds great... until Barkley doesn't declare, Landry regresses, Luck goes #1, Foles has only a so so year and we are out of any contention for Luck with a class that looks the same otherwise. That's just one version.

We go through this every year man. Ohh, I forgot one. Many of the folks that claim we can just draft one next year will be the same ones rooting against drafting any QB when we can't draft the next Peyton Manning at 9.

ddaryl
05-03-2011, 03:56 PM

although my original post meant to say 16, I edited it....

You should bring up the numbers of all QB's in the league for that season. Average in what Fitz put out per game add that into the totals he did have and then re-look at the numbers....

Now consider how young the OL is, and how many injuries and OL depth issue we encountered, then add in the youth of our WR core, and our lack of TE production and you can easily see that you just refuse to admit that Fitz was playing decent ball last year...

You can argue this till you blue in the face.... I personally don't care... but I'm glad we didn't reach for a QB in round #1 this year and really could care less about the QB pickins after round #1....

ddaryl
05-03-2011, 03:58 PM
3 more games helps his completion percentage?

and 57.8% bothers you on a team with a new HC, a young OL multiple injuries and depth issues on OL, and WR core that is pretty inexperienced ????

X-Era
05-03-2011, 04:18 PM
and 57.8% bothers you on a team with a new HC, a young OL multiple injuries and depth issues on OL, and WR core that is pretty inexperienced ????Yes. And add it in with all the other barely average stats and it's about impossible to state that this guy is all we need. We simply don't have the data to support that claim. We hope for more from him with no proof.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
although my original post meant to say 16, I edited it....

You should bring up the numbers of all QB's in the league for that season. Average in what Fitz put out per game add that into the totals he did have and then re-look at the numbers....

Now consider how young the OL is, and how many injuries and OL depth issue we encountered, then add in the youth of our WR core, and our lack of TE production and you can easily see that you just refuse to admit that Fitz was playing decent ball last year...

You can argue this till you blue in the face.... I personally don't care... but I'm glad we didn't reach for a QB in round #1 this year and really could care less about the QB pickins after round #1....
And if we follow that plan on a team hell bent on building exclusively through the draft, that leaves a team not picking #1 with nothing.

This is the version I have a problem with. It basically is stating that you are only interested in drafting a QB if they are sure-fire and somehow manage to drop to us which is likely to rarely be the case... And that means many more years of what we have until the stars align and we somehow get a guy like Luck or Bradford to drop to picks 8 or 9... And that's a long time for now.

And for a 4 and 12 team with mediocre output at QB, I'm not cool with that.

Night Train
05-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Don't blame anyone for wanting a QB.. but here's all the talented QB's available in the last 2 drafts.

1. Sam Bradford

You can't force the issue, so trade for 1 or wait for an actual good prospect to come along in 2012.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Don't blame anyone for wanting a QB.. but here's all the talented QB's available in the last 2 drafts.

1. Sam Bradford

You can't force the issue, so trade for 1 or wait for an actual good prospect to come along in 2012.And if we end up with no shot at an actual good prospect in 2012?

better days
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
And if we follow that plan on a team hell bent on building exclusively through the draft, that leaves a team not picking #1 with nothing.

This is the version I have a problem with. It basically is stating that you are only interested in drafting a QB if they are sure-fire and somehow manage to drop to us which is likely to rarely be the case... And that means many more years of what we have until the stars align and we somehow get a guy like Luck or Bradford to drop to picks 8 or 9... And that's a long time for now.

And for a 4 and 12 team with mediocre output at QB, I'm not cool with that.

I have asked you before, what would be your plan to get a QB when there is none to be had?

X-Era
05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I have asked you before, what would be your plan to get a QB when there is none to be had?You say there were none to be had. That's an opinion, not a fact. We will know in a few years. This is all about what the Bills thought.

And, to answer your question, I would be honest about where we are picking and what we're likely to get there. If that answer is someone not good enough, the very next move should be to formulate a plan to get what you need. Either by making the huge trade up to get the sure-fire guy, or by making the trade for a current player that you believe will be what you need.

But I am not content with just waitng year after year for the stars to align and a sure-fire guy to drop. If it doesn't look likely even as early as next year, you better be working on a whole new plan now.

The last thing I want is to have Fitz demand starting QB money and us to either pay him or be stuck desperately drafting and starting a rookie.

Nighthawk
05-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Fitz is not and never has been the answer at QB. Those that believe otherwise, either don't know **** about football or are in complete denial.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Why are you getting so worked up over the fact that the team didn't draft a quarterback. It just wasn't in the cards at their draft position. I am not sure what you expect to accomplish by crying over and over about it, the draft is over and done with, you can't go back. I don't think anyone is thanking their stars the team didn't get a top quarterback and nobody believes Fitz is some superstar quarterback. Nobody knows how these college quarterbacks are going to do, you just assume the worst case scenario for anyone who doesn't jump on your ship. Do you need a hug?

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Why are you getting so worked up over the fact that the team didn't draft a quarterback. It just wasn't in the cards at their draft position. I am not sure what you expect to accomplish by crying over and over about it, the draft is over and done with, you can't go back. I don't think anyone is thanking their stars the team didn't get a top quarterback and nobody believes Fitz is some superstar quarterback. Nobody knows how these college quarterbacks are going to do, you just assume the worst case scenario for anyone who doesn't jump on your ship. Do you need a hug?

a) Yes, I like hugs and puppies
b) Until we have what we need at QB we have a huge need and it's not filled.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-03-2011, 06:00 PM
a) Yes, I like hugs and puppies
b) Until we have what we need at QB we have a huge need and it's not filled.

1. Next time I see you I will give you a hug.
2. There are a lot of holes.

better days
05-03-2011, 08:09 PM
You say there were none to be had. That's an opinion, not a fact. We will know in a few years. This is all about what the Bills thought.

And, to answer your question, I would be honest about where we are picking and what we're likely to get there. If that answer is someone not good enough, the very next move should be to formulate a plan to get what you need. Either by making the huge trade up to get the sure-fire guy, or by making the trade for a current player that you believe will be what you need.

But I am not content with just waitng year after year for the stars to align and a sure-fire guy to drop. If it doesn't look likely even as early as next year, you better be working on a whole new plan now.

The last thing I want is to have Fitz demand starting QB money and us to either pay him or be stuck desperately drafting and starting a rookie.

OK then, in your opinion which QB in the draft is likely better than Fitz & when should the Bills have drafted him? Do you think they should have drafted Gabbert over Dareus for example?

If Fitz were able to command starting QB money & other teams were willing to pay him then he will be worth starting QB money & IMO the Bills should resign him unless they are sure to get a better QB.

cgbm
05-04-2011, 09:05 AM
You're not helping. Clearly you haven't been to Buffalo.

not recently but i will be there at the end of the month and i will check it out.

PTI
05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
OK post the numbers of the top 9 QB's & Fitz's numbers & show us the lie.

How in the world would his rating change? He was 22nd in 13 games and the games he did not play were against the Phins, Jets, and Packers, 3 good defenses, how can one say he would have done well against them? He was pretty average against the Jets and Phins in the games he did play even though the rating was high.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/bycategory?cat=Passing&sort=49

22nd, not too good, especially when you combine the rating with a team that had 4 wins.

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Sounds great... until Barkley doesn't declare, Landry regresses, Luck goes #1, Foles has only a so so year and we are out of any contention for Luck with a class that looks the same otherwise. That's just one version.

We go through this every year man. Ohh, I forgot one. Many of the folks that claim we can just draft one next year will be the same ones rooting against drafting any QB when we can't draft the next Peyton Manning at 9.

X, look at this year. QBs like Ponder, Kaepernick Dalton and Locker were still available mid-first to second round. That is the case every draft. You get one or two superstar hypes, then 3-4 second-tier players. It's not impossible to find someone mid-to-late first round.

PTR

X-Era
05-04-2011, 04:00 PM
X, look at this year. QBs like Ponder, Kaepernick Dalton and Locker were still available mid-first to second round. That is the case every draft. You get one or two superstar hypes, then 3-4 second-tier players. It's not impossible to find someone mid-to-late first round.

PTRAll of the guys you refer to as super-star hype went before mid 1. Newton, Gabbert, and Locker all went before pick 10.

Newton went #1 overall and the top guy would likely go #1 in any draft if they were viewed as a franchise guy. If we pick at 9, we would have gotten the 3rd guy out of this group, and if anyone after Newton was much more sure-fire, they would have gone before pick 5. The Bilsl appeared serious at pick 3 about Gabbert but didn't do it. If that guy was Luck we would have drafted him... we may have even drafted Netwon over Dareus but that's just speculation on my part. Denver, Clev, and Cinnci would have pounced on a guy with Luck's ability.

You pick at 9 and you have no shot at a guy as sure-fire as that, without a trade up. Nix is making it pretty clear that we won't do that.

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 04:10 PM
All of the guys you refer to as super-star hype went before mid 1. Newton, Gabbert, and Locker all went before pick 10.

Newton went #1 overall and the top guy would likely go #1 in any draft if they were viewed as a franchise guy. If we pick at 9, we would have gotten the 3rd guy out of this group, and if anyone after Newton was much more sure-fire, they would have gone before pick 5. The Bilsl appeared serious at pick 3 about Gabbert but didn't do it. If that guy was Luck we would have drafted him... we may have even drafted Netwon over Dareus but that's just speculation on my part. Denver, Clev, and Cinnci would have pounced on a guy with Luck's ability.

You pick at 9 and you have no shot at a guy as sure-fire as that, without a trade up. Nix is making it pretty clear that we won't do that.

Neither Newton or Gabbert are considered "sure-fire". Roethlisberger went at #11, Joe Flacco was picked at #18, Jay Cutler was #11, Drew Brees at #33, Aaron Rodgers at #24. It's not impossible to find a keeper late.

PTR

cgbm
05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Neither Newton or Gabbert are considered "sure-fire".

PTR

is any guy in any draft, ever?

thats why its a draft. or they would divy out the players as they are ranked.

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 04:18 PM
is any guy in any draft, ever?

thats why its a draft. or they would divy out the players as they are ranked.

Apparently Andrew Luck is. I hear they are already casting his bust for Canton.

PTR

stuckincincy
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
OK then, in your opinion which QB in the draft is likely better than Fitz & when should the Bills have drafted him? Do you think they should have drafted Gabbert over Dareus for example?

If Fitz were able to command starting QB money & other teams were willing to pay him then he will be worth starting QB money & IMO the Bills should resign him unless they are sure to get a better QB.

Exactly.

BUF isn't the only team out there wringing their hands for better quarterbacking.

CIN is one of those teams paying megabucks for a qb. They couldn't afford devoting $ to Fitz. They would have liked to retained him. But they only can afford minimum-rate back-up qbs.

I would like the bashers to whip our their Harry Potter wands and instruct the Bills about exactly what they should do...there's no lack of other teams who would like to get that golden path of guidance, either...

TigerJ
05-04-2011, 04:26 PM
I won't say we can't or never will make the playoffs with Fitzpatrick, but I don't think we could ever be as good as we could be wiith a more talented QB, and there are many more talented QBs than Fitz.

cgbm
05-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Apparently Andrew Luck is. I hear they are already casting his bust for Canton.

PTR

just like jake locker was last year?

jamze132
05-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Sounds great... until Barkley doesn't declare, Landry regresses, Luck goes #1, Foles has only a so so year and we are out of any contention for Luck with a class that looks the same otherwise. That's just one version.

You sure are sounding pretty negative about next years draft which is a year away.

Please give this "we need a QB" stuff a rest. We all understand that we need to find a franchise QB and we can't just go into any draft and pick one to be the man. There wasn't a franchise QB in this draft, surely no friggin' Gabbert who's nuts you have been all over since February. You are just coming across as sour now because we didn't draft your favorite.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 08:06 PM
You sure are sounding pretty negative about next years draft which is a year away.

Please give this "we need a QB" stuff a rest. We all understand that we need to find a franchise QB and we can't just go into any draft and pick one to be the man. There wasn't a franchise QB in this draft, surely no friggin' Gabbert who's nuts you have been all over since February. You are just coming across as sour now because we didn't draft your favorite.Easy man. This isn't about Gabbert. This is about winning a Super Bowl or just making the playoffs. And that negativity is about being stuck in this position if were so rigid in the way we plan to fix it. The version I laid out is is just one of about a dozen that could happen and leave us right were we have been.

mayotm
05-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Easy man. This isn't about Gabbert. This is about winning a Super Bowl or just making the playoffs. And that negativity is about being stuck in this position if were so rigid in the way we plan to fix it. The version I laid out is is just one of about a dozen that could happen and leave us right were we have been.I don't know dude. You gave the draft an 'A', yet have spent a good deal of time griping about the QB situation since the draft ended.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 08:13 PM
I don't know dude. You gave the draft an 'A', yet have spent a good deal of time griping about the QB situation since the draft ended.And? We have many needs on a 4 and 12 team. QB remains one IMO. We've got FA coming at some point and the ability to make trades.

mayotm
05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
And? We have many needs on a 4 and 12 team. QB remains one IMO. We've got FA coming at some point and the ability to make trades.There is no 'And' chief. That's it. Keep on griping.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 08:18 PM
There is no 'And' chief. That's it. Keep on griping.It's the off-season guys... Let's keep the tension low and be willing to talk about the Bills... needs and all... we have no idea how long it will be until transactions can get goin or until football can start to be played.

Mr. Pink
05-04-2011, 08:26 PM
How can you grade the draft an A when you think we overwhelming had a need to draft a QB? Shouldn't that automatically knock the grade down due to completely neglecting a glaring need, in your opinion?

BTW I'm not trying to say I disagree with the need to bring in a QB just wondering how you grade the draft as highly as you do while neglecting the most important position on the field and neglecting the teams biggest need.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 08:30 PM
How can you grade the draft an A when you think we overwhelming had a need to draft a QB? Shouldn't that automatically knock the grade down due to completely neglecting a glaring need, in your opinion?

BTW I'm not trying to say I disagree with the need to bring in a QB just wondering how you grade the draft as highly as you do while neglecting the most important position on the field and neglecting the teams biggest need.Because we can't solve all of our problems just from this draft. Which means the grade should reflect what we could solve, or more accurately, what we tried to solve in just this draft. That's just how I looked at it.

We got a lot of value and filled a lot of needs with the picks we had. And based on who we got, where, and how they can help I gave us an A.

Put it this way, if next year is an A too and everyone develops the way we hope, we just may have a playoff squad.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-04-2011, 08:53 PM
you guys dont get it.... you dont get nix's style. he wants to punish and overpower the other team. he wants a dominant 85 bears 2000 ravens defense. thats his style. hell if fitz was the qb of the 2000 ravens they would have gone 16-0, period. we are not going to have the number 1 pick. its not happening. we are going to pick up a solid veteran qb to backup fitz and build a great great powerful defense. thats how its going to have to be done. im fine with that. keep drafting defense next year too. KILL BRADY !

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 09:15 PM
How can you grade the draft an A when you think we overwhelming had a need to draft a QB? .
had we grabbed a qb X-era's A would turn into this