PDA

View Full Version : Nix says Bills will try to keep Florence, not Whitner

Danny Duberstein
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM
goodbye Donte... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/02/nix-says-bills-want-to-keep-florence-not-whitner/#comments)

Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2011, 11:52 PM EDT

AP
With three defensive backs picked by the Bills in the 2011 draft, the status of a couple of veteran free agents became tenuous, at best.

One of them, cornerback Drayton Florence, could return. The other, safety Donte Whitner, apparently won’t.

That conclusion arises from comments made Monday by G.M. Buddy Nix during The Shredd & Ragan Show on WEDG in Buffalo.

“We think Drayton wants to be here, and we want him here,” Nix said regarding Florence. “We’re gonna try to sign Drayton Florence.”

And what about Whitner, the eighth overall pick in the 2006 draft?

“Donte Whitner I don’t think wants to be here, and he probably won’t,” Nix said.

It’s refreshing to hear that kind of candor. And, when it comes to the NFL, it’s rare.

NOSaints213
05-02-2011, 11:58 PM
A few questions:

1) Is Whitner a true problem child, or does he just not want to play in Buffalo anymore?

2) Is Whitner as good as his stats suggest he is? Does he have good instincts for the position?

3) Is Whitner a known hard worker? Does he do a lot of film study?

4) How is Whitner in coverage? Is he lost?

Danny Duberstein
05-03-2011, 12:07 AM
A few questions:

1) Is Whitner a true problem child, or does he just not want to play in Buffalo anymore?

2) Is Whitner as good as his stats suggest he is? Does he have good instincts for the position?

1) I wouldn't call him a "problem child". He's an emotional diva, but he doesn't back it up on the field. And I'm sure he doesn't want to be here anymore either.

2) No, he isn't good, and has terrible instincts.

3) I think he is a hard worker, but yes, he is lost out there. I'll give him this...it doesn't seem like he sucks due to lack of trying. But he is just awful, and he thinks he great.

4) He is awful in coverage. A total liability. He is good in run-support though.

NOSaints213
05-03-2011, 12:20 AM
1) I wouldn't call him a "problem child". He's an emotional diva, but he doesn't back it up on the field. And I'm sure he doesn't want to be here anymore either.

2) No, he isn't good, and has terrible instincts.

3) I think he is a hard worker, but yes, he is lost out there. I'll give him this...it doesn't seem like he sucks due to lack of trying. But he is just awful, and he thinks he great.

4) He is awful in coverage. A total liability. He is good in run-support though.
Thanks man.

Sounds like you guys should just hope that someone grossly overpays, and you end up with a high comp pick as a result. I could see a 4th round pick for him if someone overbids.

Ingtar33
05-03-2011, 02:06 AM
A few questions:

ignore the fellow after this post. He's a hater... and haters gonna hate. in answer to your questions.

1) Whitner IS a diva. He's not a bad guy, he's just... emotional. His problem in buffalo is he's a big talker and doesn't much back it up on the field.

2) He does get a lot of tackles... but that's mostly because he's always a step late in coverage, or our dl/lbers are so bad he gets a lot of opportunity to tackle a RB deep in the secondary. He's a mediocre blitzer, and has mediocre hands. As a tackler he's alright, he does hit hard, he doesn't always wrap up, and he will whiff badly from time to time while trying to hit someone.

3) he's a hard worker. Again, his heart seems to be in the right place. he's not a cancer in the locker room or anything like that. He's just never going to be better then a slightly above average SS

4) his coverage skills are mediocre. The fans on this board will tell you he's atrocious in coverage... that isn't really true. He's just average. about middle of the league for coverage ability. His problem is he has bad instincts for the football. as a result he's never in the right place to make a play on it.

Whitner is a slightly above average SS who thinks he's elite, and talks like it. He's a hard hitter who's respected in the league for the damage he can inflict, but that's about the only thing he really excels at, and frankly... there are better guys out there at the same position who hit as hard. He's solid in run support, mediocre in coverage and terrible in blitzing. He's also a hard worker and solid teammate/person.

He'll never be a pro bowler. he'll never be a star. But he can patch a hole in a lineup if you lack a good SS; surround him with a good defense and he might even be an asset... but on a mediocre defense he'll stand out like a sour thumb; and rarely in a good way.

AndreReed83
05-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Whitner's biggest problem (besides his own inflated mouth/ego) is the fact he was drafted 8th overall. If drafted where he was supposed to go, he'd be a pretty successful pick. But a safety at 8th overall needs to be game changing elite. Whitner too often just doesn't make an impact on the field.

Michael82
05-03-2011, 02:45 AM
I'm glad to hear that Nix isn't planning on bringing him back. It's so obvious that Whitner doesn't want to be here anymore. He's an ass and fights with fans left and right on twitter. He was even mocking the Bills out during the draft. I say good riddance. It's too bad, because when he first came here, fans loved him and chatted with him a lot online and he was very popular at camp. Then something changed a couple years ago and he became an *******.

Buddo
05-03-2011, 04:32 AM
With Whitner, his talent doesn't match his desire.
He's a solid enough player, who has been hamstrung by being picked 8th overall.
I believe he works hard, and tries to do all the right things.
I don't think he has the instinctual ability to locate the football, however. I know he's been a SS, and also asked to do an awful lot of other things along the way, especially under Jauron, but look at how many, and how often, he gets interceptions. His 'average' is 1 a year. That should tell you something. In 5 years.
Work ethic - no problem, and neither is he in the locker room. He's probably a decent team mate, being known to try and help rookie DBs out.
I believe the Bills made him a new offer, but it wasn't as good as his rookie deal in all likelihood. 'Market value' has reared it's ugly head. Whitner thinks he's going to be paid like a top something or other safety, and he's not - because he's not.
He won't be unemployed, unless by choice, as he's a decent enough player, but he's going to have to scalp someone to get the sort of money he thinks he's worth. ;)

YardRat
05-03-2011, 05:37 AM
He'll end up somewhere, starting, and probably help that team win a ring.

TacklingDummy
05-03-2011, 05:45 AM
My lasting memories of Donte will be when he tackled that Raider 5 yards in the end zone and the numerous times he jumped on to piles.

Night Train
05-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Thank You Whitner...and goodbye.

That was all Marv/Jauron making a major blunder by not picking Ngata.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 06:12 AM
goodbye Donte... (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/02/nix-says-bills-want-to-keep-florence-not-whitner/#comments)

AP
With three defensive backs picked by the Bills in the 2011 draft, the status of a couple of veteran free agents became tenuous, at best.

One of them, cornerback Drayton Florence, could return. The other, safety Donte Whitner, apparently won’t.

That conclusion arises from comments made Monday by G.M. Buddy Nix during The Shredd & Ragan Show on WEDG in Buffalo.

“We think Drayton wants to be here, and we want him here,” Nix said regarding Florence. “We’re gonna try to sign Drayton Florence.”

“Donte Whitner I don’t think wants to be here, and he probably won’t,” Nix said.

It’s refreshing to hear that kind of candor. And, when it comes to the NFL, it’s rare.And he doesn't act like AJ Smith...he left a little room for the possibility to bring Whitner back.

k-oneputt
05-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Whitner was done as soon as they drafted Searcy.

psubills62
05-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Glad to see they're moving on from Whitner. Now if only they could have done the same with Kelsay.

As for Florence, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he came back. Without tendering Youboty, we've got Florence, McGee, McKelvin, and Corner coming back, and Williams and Rogers coming in. That's 6 total, and if we lose Florence, that's 5. Barely enough to hold on a roster, much less take into TC.

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
My lasting memories of Donte will be when he tackled that Raider 5 yards in the end zone and the numerous times he jumped on to piles.

I'll miss the infamous Donte Whitner 4th-man-on-the-pile back tackle.

Oh wait, no I won't.

Good riddance.

Historian
05-03-2011, 08:20 AM
I never cared for him, but if the Bills wanted him back, I would be okay with that.

I think consistancy is important, but its obvious the org wants to put this mistake behind them and move on.

So be it.

ct bills fan
05-03-2011, 08:26 AM
The telling sign to me, about Whitner, is when another player (Scott/Wilson) was pressed into service at safety they seemed to make a lot of bigger plays than him - Wilson barely plays and seems to get interceptions all the time while Scott seems to be around the QB all the time. Of course, Byrd's rookie season can be brought up too.

trapezeus
05-03-2011, 08:28 AM
whitner doesn't strike me as a guy who would take less because he played under his original contract perimeters. So as a result, it doesn't matter what nix says. Truth, is they offered him a contract at where he was valued, he scoffed at it, and the bills moved on.

yeah, we are short in the secondary rightnow, but once the league starts up again, we'll sign some fodder.

Philagape
05-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Another of Dick's wads cleaned off the floor :bigwave:

Patti120
05-03-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm really gonna miss his patented hit with the shoulder after the guy is already down and the play is dead.

better days
05-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I never cared for him, but if the Bills wanted him back, I would be okay with that.

I think consistancy is important, but its obvious the org wants to put this mistake behind them and move on.

So be it.

The Bills made him an offer & Whitner turned it down. I think Donte thinks of himself as an elite player because he was picked so high in the draft. He is deluding himself & I think he will regret he did not take the Bills offer.

trapezeus
05-03-2011, 09:48 AM
The Bills made him an offer & Whitner turned it down. I think Donte thinks of himself as an elite player because he was picked so high in the draft. He is deluding himself & I think he will regret he did not take the Bills offer.

i don't think he'll regret making the choice. it frees up more time on twitter.

elltrain22
05-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Johnnie Lee Higgins. Thats my lasting memory as well.

Mr. Miyagi
05-03-2011, 10:33 AM
We'll see Whitner with the Patriots next season.

cgbm
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM
With Whitner, his talent doesn't match his desire.
He's a solid enough player, who has been hamstrung by being picked 8th overall.
I believe he works hard, and tries to do all the right things.
I don't think he has the instinctual ability to locate the football, however. I know he's been a SS, and also asked to do an awful lot of other things along the way, especially under Jauron, but look at how many, and how often, he gets interceptions. His 'average' is 1 a year. That should tell you something. In 5 years.
Work ethic - no problem, and neither is he in the locker room. He's probably a decent team mate, being known to try and help rookie DBs out.
I believe the Bills made him a new offer, but it wasn't as good as his rookie deal in all likelihood. 'Market value' has reared it's ugly head. Whitner thinks he's going to be paid like a top something or other safety, and he's not - because he's not.
He won't be unemployed, unless by choice, as he's a decent enough player, but he's going to have to scalp someone to get the sort of money he thinks he's worth. ;)

hahah market value is 0 these days.

will they offer him that?

i hope so.

smell you later whitner

justasportsfan
05-03-2011, 10:47 AM

If that happens Stuppar or any of our TE's may have a career day in TD's.

jimbohastle51
05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
if florence resigns then mcgee is gone. will mckelvin and williams and corner here no way they pay mcgee and florence. florence is the ideal corner for our defense though because of the amount of man to man that has to be played

SABURZFAN
05-03-2011, 02:48 PM

AP

It’s refreshing to hear that kind of candor. And, when it comes to the NFL, it’s rare.

Whitner doesn't want to be here because patmoran will open up a can of whoop ass on him. :box:

acehole
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Whitner doesn't want to be here because patmoran will open up a can of whoop ass on him. :box:

:crazy: :limp: :db:

Mr. Miyagi
05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Well we're gonna need someone else to tackle people already on the ground now.

SABURZFAN
05-03-2011, 04:55 PM
:monkeyp:
:crazy: :limp: :db:

time for your shower, little boy.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:05 PM
With our draft, I'm OK with letting Whitner walk.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign a SS in FA if we do let Whitner walk.

IMO, Whitner will be restricted when the league imposes 2010 rules.

John Doe
05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
ignore the fellow after this post. He's a hater... and haters gonna hate. in answer to your questions.

1) Whitner IS a diva. He's not a bad guy, he's just... emotional. His problem in buffalo is he's a big talker and doesn't much back it up on the field.

2) He does get a lot of tackles... but that's mostly because he's always a step late in coverage, or our dl/lbers are so bad he gets a lot of opportunity to tackle a RB deep in the secondary. He's a mediocre blitzer, and has mediocre hands. As a tackler he's alright, he does hit hard, he doesn't always wrap up, and he will whiff badly from time to time while trying to hit someone.

3) he's a hard worker. Again, his heart seems to be in the right place. he's not a cancer in the locker room or anything like that. He's just never going to be better then a slightly above average SS

4) his coverage skills are mediocre. The fans on this board will tell you he's atrocious in coverage... that isn't really true. He's just average. about middle of the league for coverage ability. His problem is he has bad instincts for the football. as a result he's never in the right place to make a play on it.

Whitner is a slightly above average SS who thinks he's elite, and talks like it. He's a hard hitter who's respected in the league for the damage he can inflict, but that's about the only thing he really excels at, and frankly... there are better guys out there at the same position who hit as hard. He's solid in run support, mediocre in coverage and terrible in blitzing. He's also a hard worker and solid teammate/person.

He'll never be a pro bowler. he'll never be a star. But he can patch a hole in a lineup if you lack a good SS; surround him with a good defense and he might even be an asset... but on a mediocre defense he'll stand out like a sour thumb; and rarely in a good way.

Best analysis of Whitner's skills that I have read.

acehole
05-03-2011, 05:59 PM
:wail: :yap: :woeisme: :blahblah: :cher: :tired: :blowup: :lol: :crazy: :baby: :stick: :limp:
:monkeyp:

time for your shower, little boy.

Demon
05-06-2011, 04:30 PM

So? How many people mocked us and said how Josh Reed was gonna be tearing it up with Brady in New England.... how'd that end up?

If anything, i bet Whitner goes to Cleveland.