PDA

View Full Version : Bills Article on Jasper

methos4ever
05-03-2011, 08:12 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/NT-Jasper-brings-gigantic-intrigue/1441bfd2-c3b5-4aae-a893-c2872093c105

Giving him an attainable goal was the key and kudos to the scouts and Buddy for being true to their word!

mysticsoto
05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I'm pulling for him. If he can lose 70 lbs that quickly and now says it's pretty easy if you just eat right, drink water and exercise (which is true), I think he's learned alot and it sounds like he has the motivation to succeed. You can't lose 70 lbs without being self motivated. He would be a great addition at NT if he can learn the mental part now...

I'm just worried that someone will grab him if we put him on the PS...

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Maybe he can donate some weight to Maybin.

Stewie
05-03-2011, 09:00 AM
“This year I think most everybody forgot about him and I went back through there this fall to check him out and he told me a couple scouts had come through to see him and they all told him he had to lose 100 pounds to have a shot,” said Hand. “I think that overwhelmed him a little bit to lose 100 pounds. So his coach brought him in when I visited and we sat down and talked a while and I asked to get a weight on him. He said, ‘Yeah sure there’s only one problem, the scale here at the school can’t weigh me, I’m too big.’”
Jasper however, had a solution to that problem if Hand was willing to take a ride.
“I asked him, ‘What can we do?’ And he said, ‘We’ll go down to the feed store. That’s where you can weigh me,’” said Hand.

Stewie
05-03-2011, 09:02 AM
“I did what they asked me to do,” said Jasper. “I weighed in at 448 pounds in January and it’s just been a lot of dedication and hard work. To be honest, just watch what you eat, drink water and treat your body right and it’s not that hard.”

Stewie
05-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I am truly excited to see this kid line up. If he learns some technique, he will at worst be an immoveable object.

THATHURMANATOR
05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
It is funny that we all are loving this 7th round pick more than Dareus. I do wish this kid well though!!!

mysticsoto
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
It is funny that we all are loving this 7th round pick more than Dareus. I do wish this kid well though!!!

Only b'cse he's a surprise find that we hope can develop...

madness
05-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe he can donate some weight to Maybin.

No!!! If you take away Maybin's quickness, I don't think that even makes him a football player anymore.

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 10:12 AM
No!!! If you take away Maybin's quickness, I don't think that even makes him a football player anymore.

he's a football player now?

Half the time he's on the sidelines in civilian clothes. The other half the time, he dresses, goes in for 5 plays a game, and gets stoned at the line of scrimmage.

I could do that, and I'd be willing to do it for a lot less money than Maybin. Hell, I'd do it for free just to be on the sideline.

justasportsfan
05-03-2011, 10:15 AM

Dont think we're loving this kid more than Dareus. No one is going to give us an A for drafting this guy unlike Dareus, he's just more intriguing.

madness
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Half the time he's on the sidelines in civilian clothes. The other half the time, he dresses, goes in for 5 plays a game, and gets stoned at the line of scrimmage.

I could do that, and I'd be willing to do it for a lot less money than Maybin. Hell, I'd do it for free just to be on the sideline.
I'd suggest start writing your own rap song then. Oh, post a few workout videos to youtube and start running your mouth on Twitter too.

psubills62
05-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Jasper's going to need to put in a lot of hard work. Losing that initial weight isn't the end, it's the very beginning and I'm sure he realizes that. If he truly has a "first in, last out" work ethic, then he might be able to contribute down the road. But that's a long ways away, and it's hard for me to believe that he'll actually matter in a year or so.

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I think this guy may end up being this year's Constantin Ritzman or Drew Hadaad or (insert name of guy that nobody remembers anymore here).

We are intrigued with him on draft day, he may show a few flashes in pre-season, but he ends up not making the team. We can have fun speculating about it now, because it would be great to have a 370 lb defensive tackle. But the reality is that it's probably not going anywhere.

It happens every year and it's it's one of the few fun parts of the long, boring off-season, even if it is a combination of wishful thinking and off-season boredom.

elltrain22
05-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I think this guy may end up being this year's Constantin Ritzman or Drew Hadaad or (insert name of guy that nobody remembers anymore here).

We are intrigued with him on draft day, he may show a few flashes in pre-season, but he ends up not making the team. We can have fun speculating about it now, because it would be great to have a 370 lb defensive tackle. But the reality is that it's probably not going anywhere.

It happens every year and it's it's one of the few fun parts of the long, boring off-season, even if it is a combination of wishful thinking and off-season boredom.

As unfortunate as it is, but you're probably right. The guy is more intriguing than these other guys, but still he is a longshot. I just hope we make a heck of an effort to coach this guy up, b/c w/ that size and athleticism, he could be a heck of a find. Let us not forget that Jason Peters.

Mr. Miyagi
05-03-2011, 10:36 AM

I would even get a Maybin mohawk just to look the part.

justasportsfan
05-03-2011, 10:37 AM
Hope he's the next big Pat Williams who went undrafted.

cgbm
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
i agree with opiv.

this guy is a huge man. and shows alot of dedication in that he shaved like 70 lbs of his body.

he is exceptionaly athletic. just look at his workout videos on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyWFh3Lp5u8

but the truth is that he probubly will never end up being in the game. making a difference.

i would love to se his huge butt out there just plugging holes (litteraly) and see rb's run into him and fall over but it just isnt likely.

but again if he does have that first in last out mentality and takes all feedback from the coaches in stride and doesnt let his ego get in the way, just doing what he has to do 100% to get where they want him. if he does this then he can become a behemoth of an asset to us.

i will be pulling for jasper

DraftBoy
05-03-2011, 10:41 AM

No you couldn't.

psubills62
05-03-2011, 10:46 AM
What intrigues me is that everything the Bills are doing indicates they want SIZE at NT - trying out guys like Harvey, Heard and Jasper. Troup wasn't huge or anything at 315 when they drafted him, but they were probably counting on him increasing his weight, which he has.

But at the same time, what do you do with Kyle Williams? They've given no indications of wanting to trade him, but he and Spencer Johnson are really the only guys left who don't fit our D. It's hard to imagine Johnson sticking around longer than one more year.

Stewie
05-03-2011, 10:50 AM
And as for the opportunity, Jasper could not have been more excited to be the latest addition to the Bills.

“This is a blessing,” he said. “I didn’t think it was going to happen. (The Bills) had the most interest, but for them to actually put it into action, it’s a big deal. It’s a dream come true and this is where I want to be, so I’m ecstatic man.”
For Hand the feeling is mutual. There’s very little for a scout to hang his hat on at the end of the year. Hand, like the rest of the Bills scouting department, kept grinding on a guy that he thought had a real chance to be find and was rewarded for it.
“It’s a scout’s dream come true to be honest with you,” he said. “You’re always trying to find that diamond in the rough or that sleeper and these days with Twitter and Facebook and e-mail and cell phones there’s no hiding guys anymore. It’s almost impossible. Credit Mr. Modrak and Buddy Nix who gave me a few ideas as to how to not let the cat out of the bag. Their veteran experience really helped me out.”

mysticsoto
05-03-2011, 11:00 AM
What intrigues me is that everything the Bills are doing indicates they want SIZE at NT - trying out guys like Harvey, Heard and Jasper. Troup wasn't huge or anything at 315 when they drafted him, but they were probably counting on him increasing his weight, which he has.

But at the same time, what do you do with Kyle Williams? They've given no indications of wanting to trade him, but he and Spencer Johnson are really the only guys left who don't fit our D. It's hard to imagine Johnson sticking around longer than one more year.

Johnson is a backup and if Jasper showed any signs of adapting and coming along, we'd probably need to cut Johnson to make space for him (not literally, or it would take several people). :D

Kyle is an oddball that may have to play DE. He's got the size for it, and I bet could do it. He is a hard worker and the FO seems to really like him. He seems to be a never quit, blue collar kind of guy that Buffalo needs and wants and so far, he's defied the odds so I wouldn't put it pass him to make a smooth transition.

Ickybaluky
05-03-2011, 11:15 AM

If Williams doesn't fit the scheme, then alter the scheme. I underestimated Williams as much as anyone, but he has proven he is good at what he does. He may be a little unconventional, but he was the one guy up front that scared offenses last year for the Bills. On top of that, he has a very reasonable contract.

With some guys you stop looking at what they aren't and start looking at what they are. Williams is a very good inside player in any scheme, so I doubt they plan to get rid of him just because he isn't big enough.

As for Jasper, if it works out for the Bills then great. It is rare to find a guy that big who is athletic. That said, ultimately it will come down to how well he plays football. Just because a guy is big or athletic, it doesn't mean he will be any good on a football field. Certainly the Bills are willing to see if he can play, and if he can they have found a player with rare size. However, all the YouTube videos in the world aren't going to show if he can or can't play.

Dr. Lecter
05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

I tend to agree, but he also could be Stevie Johnson, Pat Williams, Fred Jackson, James Harrison or some other guy that makes.

It is much more likely he does not, but as Bills fans all we have is hope.

ChristopherWalken
05-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Awesome.

I remember reading a similar article a few short years ago about a TE the Bills selected in the 7th round.

Jason Peters went on to the Pro Bowl and is still a starting LT in the league.

You just never know. Wishing the guy well.

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 11:32 AM
No you couldn't.

really? You don't think I could stand on the sidelines then go into the game and get knocked on my ass 5 times?

I'm sure I could do that. It would hurt, but I could do it.

Thief
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Awesome.

I remember reading a similar article a few short years ago about a TE the Bills selected in the 7th round.

Jason Peters went on to the Pro Bowl and is still a starting LT in the league.

You just never know. Wishing the guy well.Jason Peters was undrafted.

Saratoga Slim
05-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Jason Peters was undrafted.

but the point remains.

the odds are long, but hey, there's a chance.

Mr. Miyagi
05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
No you couldn't.
How hard is it to line up on the field, get blocked out of my jockstrap, and look like a fool for three plays a game? Maybe I could even jump on a player already tackled down and celebrate like I won the SuperBowl.

djjimkelly
05-03-2011, 12:24 PM
good for this guy i love hearing stories like this.

will and determination goes a long way.

4 years ago after my divorce i was 5'11 270 out of shape badly

now i am getting ready for aruba in 4 days im tipping the scale at 215 but its not 270 to 215 its more like 270 to 190 + 25

however ill add in ive put on 25 pounds of muscle and looking rather jacked ill post a pic around july 1st when my 4 pack has been fully transformed into a 6 pack

fitness and nutrition is real easy u just have to want it.

i also only like bombshells so very easy motivation for me :)

im proud of this guy and hope it works out for the bills

and if any of you guys want to change your life and physique just let me know i know alot of tricks and more then willing to help give tips

DraftBoy
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
really? You don't think I could stand on the sidelines then go into the game and get knocked on my ass 5 times?

I'm sure I could do that. It would hurt, but I could do it.

That's not what you said at first. You said get stone walled. You would get anhilated out there, just as I would.

DraftBoy
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
How hard is it to line up on the field, get blocked out of my jockstrap, and look like a fool for three plays a game? Maybe I could even jump on a player already tackled down and celebrate like I won the SuperBowl.

Again being stone walled it different from being blocked out of ones jockstrap. Stone walled is essentially a stalemate in terms of ground gained. You think you could go out there for one play and do that?

psubills62
05-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Are people seriously even talking about playing football? Nobody would get annihilated because none of us would even get on the stinking field. If you weren't in the hospital after 3 practices, I'd consider that a success.

Last I checked, this article was about Jasper.

djjimkelly
05-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Are people seriously even talking about playing football? Nobody would get annihilated because none of us would even get on the stinking field. If you weren't in the hospital after 3 practices, I'd consider that a success.

Last I checked, this article was about Jasper.

sometimes life is more important then football and honestly if i can help just one person on this board change their life my post in this thread is worth it

Dr. Lecter
05-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Again being stone walled it different from being blocked out of ones jockstrap. Stone walled is essentially a stalemate in terms of ground gained. You think you could go out there for one play and do that?

If I was blocking Maybin or being "blocked" by Cornell Green or Stupar - perhaps.

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
That's not what you said at first. You said get stone walled. You would get anhilated out there, just as I would.

I'm sure, but that would basically make us just as effective as Maybin. The guy is useless out there- no less so than you or I would be.

DraftBoy
05-03-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm sure, but that would basically make us just as effective as Maybin. The guy is useless out there- no less so than you or I would be.

Again a horrible mischaracterization, though your general point is true. You like to operate in extremes as if the average joe could go out there and do this. That's not the case.

Thief
05-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Again a horrible mischaracterization, though your general point is true. You like to operate in extremes as if the average joe could go out there and do this. That's not the case.Are you a robot? Point is, Maybin sucks.

:dancers:

Thief
05-03-2011, 05:22 PM
but the point remains.

the odds are long, but hey, there's a chance.Well.... yeah. There's always a chance. I actually happen to think this guy has a serious chance.

I hope they make a movie about this someday.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Awesome article:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/NT-Jasper-brings-gigantic-intrigue/1441bfd2-c3b5-4aae-a893-c2872093c105

Can't wait to see what this guy can do.

justasportsfan
05-03-2011, 05:52 PM
If I was blocking Maybin or being "blocked" by Cornell Green or Stupar - perhaps.
puhlease. You couldn't handle the smallest jill, tinkerbell.

DraftBoy
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Are you a robot? Point is, Maybin sucks.

:dancers:

Yes. :db:

OpIv37
05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Again a horrible mischaracterization, though your general point is true. You like to operate in extremes as if the average joe could go out there and do this. That's not the case.

My point is that Maybin is no better than the average Joe. The average Joe cannot play NFL football, but the average Joe could go on the field and have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the play, like Maybin.

Goobylal
05-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Jasper will make the 53-man roster. Given that the Bills almost lost Peters when they cut him (the Giants brought him in for a look-see but didn't sign him), they won't make the same mistake with Jasper. He's one of those "planet guys" that Parcells used to talk about, i.e. there are only so many guys on the planet like him.

And unlike the other big guys, Jasper has rare combination of enormous size, incredible athleticism for a man that size, intelligence, and work ethic. I'd say he has a real chance to succeed.

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 12:02 AM
Can you imagine the impact of just having a D-line like Dareus-Jasper-K. Williams? Throw in Merriman if he can get healthy and you have Sanchez and Brady fudging their drawers.

PTR

Turf
05-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Hate to be a bubble burster, but at 448 LBS, he was closer to a a heart attack than running up and down the field. I just don't see it happening.

methos4ever
05-04-2011, 04:29 AM
Hate to be a bubble burster, but at 448 LBS, he was closer to a a heart attack than running up and down the field. I just don't see it happening.
He's currently at 373 and dropping. In fact, in one of the post draft interviews he's shooting for 350-360 by training camp.

And his coaches praise the fact that he never left the field.

Bangarang
05-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Can we just induct this guy into the Hall of Fame already? Why waste everyone's time by making him actually play football first?

X-Era
05-04-2011, 05:54 AM
Jasper will make the 53-man roster. Given that the Bills almost lost Peters when they cut him (the Giants brought him in for a look-see but didn't sign him), they won't make the same mistake with Jasper. He's one of those "planet guys" that Parcells used to talk about, i.e. there are only so many guys on the planet like him.

And unlike the other big guys, Jasper has rare combination of enormous size, incredible athleticism for a man that size, intelligence, and work ethic. I'd say he has a real chance to succeed.I could see Spencer Johnson getting released along with Heard and us keeping Jasper. But he has to show he can hang at this level.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Can we just induct this guy into the Hall of Fame already? Why waste everyone's time by making him actually play football first?Then he wouldn't be a sleeper, he would have been the #1 overall pick.

Some of you guys are killing me. The draft is over, theres no FA, and the NFL is locked out.

You're on a Buffalo Bills fan board, what would you like to talk about?

TMu11
05-04-2011, 06:04 AM

I admire the fact he lost the weight.
Hopefully its a sign of his work ethic and determination to become a force in the NFL.

I'm feeling optomistic about this guy in 3 or so years

Thief
05-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Can we just induct this guy into the Hall of Fame already? Why waste everyone's time by making him actually play football first?OMG, lets not get ahead of ourselves. We have to win a couple Super Bowls with him first. LOL

Goobylal
05-04-2011, 07:12 AM
I could see Spencer Johnson getting released along with Heard and us keeping Jasper. But he has to show he can hang at this level.
Spencer Johnson, John McCargo, take your pick. Both of these guys have been on the roster the past couple years and done next to nothing. Jasper is easily worth investing the time to develop given his rare attributes.

mysticsoto
05-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Spencer Johnson, John McCargo, take your pick. Both of these guys have been on the roster the past couple years and done next to nothing. Jasper is easily worth investing the time to develop given his rare attributes.

I thought McCargo had been dumped already...is he really still on the roster??? Jasper can replace him then from day one...

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 07:27 AM
My point is that Maybin is no better than the average Joe. The average Joe cannot play NFL football, but the average Joe could go on the field and have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the play, like Maybin.

And your point is invalid. Maybin has better than the average Joe since he simply plays football, because as you yourself point out, the average Joe can't even do that.

Does Maybin suck? Yes, but your attempts to draw some sort of coorelation between your own or Joe Schmoe's ability to do the same job to the same effectiveness suck just as bad.