PDA

View Full Version : BZ pulse; Now that the draft is over, what's your solution at QB?

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm interested in hearing what your personal version is for the answer at QB.

Please vote!

ZAZusmc03
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm not a fan of the choices in the poll, so ill go with what I would like to see. First I think we should grab an undrafted free agent QB like devlin as soon as its possible. Then I wouldn't mind seeing us grab a free agent with upside &that didn't work out with another team. 4 QBs in camp and keep the best 3 forbthis season, next years draft we should do whatever it I'd in our power to get 1 of the top 2 qbs in the draft. Hopefully a reasonable contract extension can be had with Fitz to develope a young qb. Although it may delay the success of the team, it also allows our young d to keep us in games if they pan out.

SquishDaFish
05-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I voted wait for one to drop to us next draft but if we are close to the top and can trade up for Luck and it wouldnt cost too much I rather do that

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm not a fan of the choices in the poll, so ill go with what I would like to see. First I think we should grab an undrafted free agent QB like devlin as soon as its possible. Then I wouldn't mind seeing us grab a free agent with upside &that didn't work out with another team. 4 QBs in camp and keep the best 3 forbthis season, next years draft we should do whatever it I'd in our power to get 1 of the top 2 qbs in the draft. Hopefully a reasonable contract extension can be had with Fitz to develope a young qb. Although it may delay the success of the team, it also allows our young d to keep us in games if they pan out.Wait and I'll add a poll choice or two.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Added two more options, please re-vote if you already voted.

Night Train
05-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Look at FA... or maybe we're the team that offered Philly our 2012 #1 for Kolb.

:D

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Look at FA... or maybe we're the team that offered Philly our 2012 #1 for Kolb.

:DTheres a vote option for that.

SquishDaFish
05-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Wont allow to revote but I would of kept it the same anyway

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Wont allow to revote but I would of kept it the same anywayI added to the end, does it still fit your vote:

Take whoever drops to our spot in the 2012 draft, even if not a sure-fire guy

Really it must or your waiting however many years it take until a sure-fire guy drops... that could be next year or 20 years from now.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Wont allow to revote but I would of kept it the same anywayThat's weird... it lets me set the votes to zero... must still keep who's voted.

sdbillsfan2
05-03-2011, 05:51 PM
We are still going to go to camp with probably four quarterbacks," Nix said. "So that's not to say we won't take one in the draft, but it's also not to say we wouldn't go after a veteran to be a backup for us and then take another arm to camp. It might be a college free agent."

I didn't see this under the options in the poll .. so I didn't vote either.

Chan and Nix said this team wasn't going to turn around over night. I'm glad they didn't reach for any of the qbs this draft.
We are going to be a stronger more balanced team in the long run. No need to reach for this years version of Captain check down or trade down for the next Losman. Before the season starts we'll have a better option . Big trade ? no likely!

X-Era
05-03-2011, 05:53 PM
We are still going to go to camp with probably four quarterbacks," Nix said. "So that's not to say we won't take one in the draft, but it's also not to say we wouldn't go after a veteran to be a backup for us and then take another arm to camp. It might be a college free agent."

I didn't see this under the options in the poll .. so I didn't vote either.

Chan and Nix said this team wasn't going to turn around over night. I'm glad they didn't reach for any of the qbs this draft.
We are going to be a stronger more balanced team in the long run. No need to reach for this years version of Captain check down or trade down for the next Losman. Before the season starts we'll have a better option . Big trade ? no likely!

"Take a FA and/or Undrafted and hope someone becomes the guy"

sdbillsfan2
05-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Build through the draft ! The Bills liked Newton and Gabbert to a lesser extent. Both were gone by the second round. Now what? Realistically which of the later round Qbs wasn't a project ? Is Fitz the long term answer ? no.. But who was left that had more to offer ? MORE projects ?

'better the devil you know than the devil you don't', ( it is often better to deal with someone or something you are familiar with and know, even if they are not ideal, than take a risk with an unknown person or thing.)

Next year there will still be Qbs in the draft and a few FA too.

X-Era
05-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Build through the draft ! The Bills liked Newton and Gabbert to a lesser extent. Both were gone by the second round. Now what? Realistically which of the later round Qbs wasn't a project ? Is Fitz the long term answer ? no.. But who was left that had more to offer ? MORE projects ?

'better the devil you know than the devil you don't', ( it is often better to deal with someone or something you are familiar with and know, even if they are not ideal, than take a risk with an unknown person or thing.)

Next year there will still be Qbs in the draft and a few FA too.So vote.

PTI
05-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Kevin Kolb.

alohabillsfan
05-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Problem solved!!!!
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php
http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2012/round1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/674377-2012-nfl-mock-draft-your-first-look-at-next-years-draft#/articles/674377-2012-nfl-mock-draft-your-first-look-at-next-years-draft/page/3

X-Era
05-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Problem solved!!!!
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php
http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/mock-draft/2012/round1
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/674377-2012-nfl-mock-draft-your-first-look-at-next-years-draft#/articles/674377-2012-nfl-mock-draft-your-first-look-at-next-years-draft/page/3
Even a non Bills fan nailed it.

From Walterfootball:

"If the Bills actually draft a quarterback in the top five, hell will freeze over"

And with this comment I rest my case:

"Matt Barkley could end up being the favorite to be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft."

Guys, just because there is or may be a franchise QB in this next draft doesn't mean we will be able to get one.

Joe Fo Sho
05-03-2011, 08:14 PM
Why is there no 'let Fitz start this year and see where he takes us' choice?

There is no quick fix. Did you want the Bills to take a QB in the draft? Where would you have taken one? Just curious.

alohabillsfan
05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
Hey atleast there is 1 franchise QB to be had next year, thats one more then this years.

YardRat
05-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Patience.

The King
05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Let's see what Fitz does this year before we tie ourselves to anything.

psubills62
05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Gee whiz, X, you're sure taking this not drafting Gabbert thing hard.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Peyton Manning has joined the lawsuit against the NFL because he wants out of Indianapolis and doesn't want the franchise tag slapped on him.

I know he's getting toward the end of his career... but then again, so was Joe Montana before he went to the Chiefs, and all he did was lead them to the playoffs both years he was there, including all the way to the AFC Championship Game one of those years even with Marty Schottenheimer (the king of shrinking violets) coaching. (And yes, I know, Jim Kelly's Bills defeated the Chiefs that year.) This isn't like Favre to the Jets/Vikings, where he's too old, starting to have injury issues, and unpredictable. Manning is still fairly close to the top of his game. If Manning manages to get the franchise tag rules overturned, Buffalo ought to make every effort to sign him.

Yes, it's a long shot, but it's the best shot at getting a franchise QB. It's an opportunity that almost never comes along.

If they can't get him... stick with Fitzpatrick until they can find someone who has the potential to be better. And make it quick. Good teams find good quarterbacks. I can't stand people who say there aren't any. That's a "can't-do" attitude that I despise. You take risks, you get a guy with potential, and if you're any good at your job as a coach, you mold him into a superstar. There are plenty of prospects with potential out there, all of the time.

TigerJ
05-03-2011, 11:20 PM
We can say what we want to do, but when it comes down to it, our particular solution may not even be available. Some predict Washington with have the top overall choice in next year's draft. I really don't thing anything is going to make Mike Shanahan, or whoever the coach/GM combo is, trade away the rights to Andrew Luck. Where is Buffalo going to be picking in the draft, and how many first round QBs will there be, and will they as most expect now, be better than this year's crop of first rounders? Moreover how much better is Luck than #2 and #2 than #3? There are so many unanswered questions at this point that any solution proposed now is a one-handed, blindfolded, shot in the dark. I voted "trade up for #2," but nobody knows.

methos4ever
05-04-2011, 04:34 AM
X,
Looking at the quarterbacks passed this year or Clausen last year isn't an indicator, to me, that they would pass up a 10 year guy next year if they could get him.

And using walter "I hate everything the Bills do even if I poo poo the qbs taken after them" football is beneath you. Do you really want them just to take a qb to take one? Or take the right guy?

I mean for all this talk about a franchise qb, we lost four superbowls with one. Personally, I want a "Franchise" caliber franchise where we can transform a guy that fits our system into what they need to win one. Like how the Packers groomed and developed Rodgers AND the team around him.

But we need somebody in Buffalo who has a swagger about him; someone who is not intimidated by anybody. This guy thinks he's the best, and he thinks he'll be the best. We needed that. There's high character, he's a great kid and we're looking forward to what he'll do for our city.

Dareus told them during the pre-draft visit that if he was there and they didn't draft him to help turn this thing around he'd take it out on them the rest of his career (Buddy Nix, Sirius Radio 5/2). In addition to his talent, that swagger is what they wanted and what they got.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15025300/bills-passed-on-a-quarterback-and-still-aced-the-draft

X-Era
05-04-2011, 05:40 AM
The votes are literally all over the board. There isn't one solution that everyone agrees on and we also don't unanimously support Fitz as the answer either.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Gee whiz, X, you're sure taking this not drafting Gabbert thing hard.No, I'm not. He, to me, represented the chance for what I viewed we needed; a franchise QB. The Bills either didn't agree or agreed but took a higher ranked Dareus anyways.

This thread is about what's next.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 05:51 AM
X,
Looking at the quarterbacks passed this year or Clausen last year isn't an indicator, to me, that they would pass up a 10 year guy next year if they could get him.

And using walter "I hate everything the Bills do even if I poo poo the qbs taken after them" football is beneath you. Do you really want them just to take a qb to take one? Or take the right guy?

I mean for all this talk about a franchise qb, we lost four superbowls with one. Personally, I want a "Franchise" caliber franchise where we can transform a guy that fits our system into what they need to win one. Like how the Packers groomed and developed Rodgers AND the team around him.

Dareus told them during the pre-draft visit that if he was there and they didn't draft him to help turn this thing around he'd take it out on them the rest of his career (Buddy Nix, Sirius Radio 5/2). In addition to his talent, that swagger is what they wanted and what they got.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15025300/bills-passed-on-a-quarterback-and-still-aced-the-draftWhere do we disagree? I think I had been clear throughout that I didn't see getting a QB and building the defense as mutually exclusive.

The draft is over, you still need a franchise QB, what now. That's where I'm at. You still have free agency and the capability to make trades. Or you wait until next years draft, potentially have a hole at starting QB, and are desperate to fill it.

Personally I'm against waiting until hell freezes over and a sure-fire guy drops to us... we won't pick in the top 3 again IMO.

Buddo
05-04-2011, 06:12 AM
Where do we disagree? I think I had been clear throughout that I didn't see getting a QB and building the defense as mutually exclusive.

The draft is over, you still need a franchise QB, what now. That's where I'm at. You still have free agency and the capability to make trades. Or you wait until next years draft, potentially have a hole at starting QB, and are desperate to fill it.

Personally I'm against waiting until hell freezes over and a sure-fire guy drops to us... we won't pick in the top 3 again IMO.

The reality was, that it ended up being mutually exclusive, due to the FO preferences in QBs. I've said this elsewhere, but I doubt that there was a QB taken in the 1st two rounds, who wasn't overvalued - and quite possibly by a distance.
I genuinely think the Bills did a great job of not going remotely near, the QB handicap, when it started, and continuing to keep away from it, all the way through.
A bit like the last draft, all of the 'options' aren't there. Where is 'trade up for the guy you want', wherever he may be.
Where is 'wait and see' how good Fitz does, to decide how hard we need to go at the next crop of QBs.
How about the 'we don't need no QBs to run over yo' face' option?'

While admittedly there ain't much else to talk about, all of the obsessing about QBs being done, is close on boring me to tears.
Fitz is our QB going into 2011. We will pick up a FA to back him up, and Levi will be holding the clipboard this year (at a better angle, 'cos he has a bit more experience now).
Hopefully, we get to play some games, and see how things shake out.

Jeff1220
05-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Adam Schein said something about Ponder being the guy the Bills wanted, but not in the first. If he was there at 34, he'd probably be a Bill. (This could be the QB that Nix was alluding to when he said that the qb they wanted wasn't there - speaking of #34, not #3). Just a thought.

tampabay25690
05-04-2011, 06:40 AM
WOW...
This is actually a hard choice.
I actually talked about this on Sirius yesterday with Rich Gannon.
He thought the Bills had a fantastic draft and he was happy to see they didn't reach for a QB like many other teams....
I think the FA route is the way to go along with a UDFA....
LUCK is going to be very difficult to get next year and I don't think the Bills will be the worst team in the NFL.

To be honest I think Carolina may have a shot for the #1 pick again.......Then what do they do?????

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 07:28 AM
UDFA's

Id like to see us take the same stance this year with the QB position as we did last year with OL men. Sign plenty, let em play if they cant hack it, see-ya.

ddaryl
05-04-2011, 07:44 AM
keep building the team around the QB position and wait for the right pick/player to come into play.... IMO No need to pass up on sure impact 1st rd players to reach for a QB that doesn't give you a warm fuzzy.

I also think we should be taking a chance on later rd QB's for grooming every 2-3 years and see if any of these QB's can be developed as while we wait and hope we get our top rd guy.

methos4ever
05-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Where do we disagree? I think I had been clear throughout that I didn't see getting a QB and building the defense as mutually exclusive.

I think where we disagree (and you can correct me if I'm wrong) is in the fact that because of us picking 3rd, we had to take a qb. If there was a guy they loved definitely, but to force it on a guy they liked would have to me been a bad move.

And you're right, we don't have a franchise guy. I'm just saying the fact they picked one at three wouldn't have necessarily filled that hole.

better days
05-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Peyton Manning has joined the lawsuit against the NFL because he wants out of Indianapolis and doesn't want the franchise tag slapped on him.

I know he's getting toward the end of his career... but then again, so was Joe Montana before he went to the Chiefs, and all he did was lead them to the playoffs both years he was there, including all the way to the AFC Championship Game one of those years even with Marty Schottenheimer (the king of shrinking violets) coaching. (And yes, I know, Jim Kelly's Bills defeated the Chiefs that year.) This isn't like Favre to the Jets/Vikings, where he's too old, starting to have injury issues, and unpredictable. Manning is still fairly close to the top of his game. If Manning manages to get the franchise tag rules overturned, Buffalo ought to make every effort to sign him.

Yes, it's a long shot, but it's the best shot at getting a franchise QB. It's an opportunity that almost never comes along.

If they can't get him... stick with Fitzpatrick until they can find someone who has the potential to be better. And make it quick. Good teams find good quarterbacks. I can't stand people who say there aren't any. That's a "can't-do" attitude that I despise. You take risks, you get a guy with potential, and if you're any good at your job as a coach, you mold him into a superstar. There are plenty of prospects with potential out there, all of the time.

Well, maybe Chan will mold Fitz into a Superstar. What prospects are available with more potential than Fitz? I don't see any myself.

better days
05-04-2011, 08:30 AM
WOW...
This is actually a hard choice.
I actually talked about this on Sirius yesterday with Rich Gannon.
He thought the Bills had a fantastic draft and he was happy to see they didn't reach for a QB like many other teams....
I think the FA route is the way to go along with a UDFA....
LUCK is going to be very difficult to get next year and I don't think the Bills will be the worst team in the NFL.

To be honest I think Carolina may have a shot for the #1 pick again.......Then what do they do?????

Gannon was a guy that got better as he got older. Who knows, maybe Fitz will do the same.

psubills62
05-04-2011, 08:53 AM
No, I'm not. He, to me, represented the chance for what I viewed we needed; a franchise QB. The Bills either didn't agree or agreed but took a higher ranked Dareus anyways.

This thread is about what's next.
Well, the poll options and the bitter responses seem to indicate you're simply pissed about Gabbert...or, I guess, passing on every QB.

It seems to me the Bills are looking to improve the team. They didn't feel they could get significant improvement with any of the available QB's, so they didn't draft one. Simple as that.

The thing is, nobody knows what's going to happen in the next draft. How often are there "sure-fire" guys, maybe once every two years at best?

In the end, I think we follow the Baltimore method of building a team - keep a savvy veteran at QB, build the defense and team around that QB, then when the time is right, take a young guy in the draft to lead the team. Does it have to be a "sure-fire" guy, or a "franchise" player? No. The guy could be from a small school with weaker competition (a la Roethlisberger). The guy might not be just the right height, he could be 6'3" or 6'2". He could have gotten injured at times in college. Who knows what will happen, but there are good QB's who fall to the middle to later portion of the first round because of concerns. When the Bills like a guy enough who does fall, they'll take him. And until then, what's wrong with building with good pieces around Fitz? As much as I'm unsure whether or not I trust their judgment, I'd rather have them take guys they're more certain about rather than reach big time to draft a QB that they really aren't sure about. If we didn't have Fitz, and had Brohm as our QB, I have little doubt they'd have selected a QB, most likely in the first or second round, because we'd need the improvement. But they're confident that Fitz can lead us for now.

If you listen to the blatant rumors going around after the drafts, it's not like they haven't had their eyes on certain guys. Tebow last year, Ponder this year. Things just haven't worked out to let them get those guys. It's hard for me to believe things won't work out every year. They'll get a guy that they like. Might not be a guy you or any of us agree with, but they'll get a guy.

YardRat said it best: Patience.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Let's see what Fitz does this year before we tie ourselves to anything.

I agree. Hard to assess Fitz in what was a merry-go-round of a lineup last year plus a new system. Can't wait to see what his offseason workouts with his weapons will bare.

While I doubt he will ever be a franchise qb, it's not impossible to think that Fitz can improve on his game last year. In the meantime, we grabbed ourselves a franchise DL in Dareus.

THATHURMANATOR
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't necessarily like any of these options.

I advise they roll with Fitz and keep an eye out for a long term upgrade in any manner possible.

I love how we are talking now about Luck like we were talking about Locker last year. What if Luck completely tanks????

cgbm
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
it seems that every thread these days ends in the same argument.

why we dint take a qb or why we should have

heres a thread dedicated to figuring out WHAT NOW

we have two sides -

1) we should have taken a qb in this draft.

2) we needed to beef the d instead of taking a qb in THIS draft.

i dont think anyone thinks that fitz is our franchize qb or our future qb that will take us to the holy land for many years.

i want to hear what both sides think should be our stance or plan to obtain the franchize, future qb.

NO TALKING ABOUT THIS PAST DRAFT OR ANY THINK WE SHOULD HAVE OR DIDNT DO.

it doesnt help and i think we need to move forward instead of complaining about what could have been.

cgbm
05-04-2011, 09:20 AM
i didnt see that x started a poll kinda about this. but i still would love to see a discussion about it

PTI
05-04-2011, 09:23 AM
It was dumb to not address QB this season. Fitz is a free agent. he could in reality have a nice season and progress (which I don't think, he is awful), and just flat out leave and sign with someone else. Bills were stupid to not get a QB right now. I sure hope they are in the Kevin Kolb discussion. Heck, I would want McNabb 100 times more than Fitz if he would come to the Bills.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
just merge this thread with X-era's

Bills Juggernaut
05-04-2011, 09:31 AM
UDFA's

Id like to see us take the same stance this year with the QB position as we did last year with OL men. Sign plenty, let em play if they cant hack it, see-ya.

Who is the number rated UDFA QB out there? Devlin?

The King
05-04-2011, 09:44 AM
If Fitz throws for 3,000 yards 20TD's and 10 INT's next season I am more than happy with that.

People forget this kid had an 81 passing rating. We need a lot of help on this team. If we can coast with Fitzy while finally building a solid foundation for this football team I am 100% for it.

We already tried handing a shaky team off to an unproven QB this decade. Let's try building something before throwing it in the hands of a young guy.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Fix the running game and you'll see a better QB.

PTI
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
If Fitz throws for 3,000 yards 20TD's and 10 INT's next season I am more than happy with that.

People forget this kid had an 81 passing rating. We need a lot of help on this team. If we can coast with Fitzy while finally building a solid foundation for this football team I am 100% for it.

We already tried handing a shaky team off to an unproven QB this decade. Let's try building something before throwing it in the hands of a young guy.
Hilarious, 10 INTs, Fitz is good for a minimum of 20 INTs if he plays all the games. Everyone projects him to 28 TD last year, well, his INTs projected out to almost 20. People forget he had 81 QB rating? They should forget, that was good for 22nd in the NFL, that is pretty bad and will not get you playoffs unless you play in the NFC West.

PTI
05-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Fix the running game and you'll see a better QB.

You can't without respect given to the QB. Crap QB is just as big of a reason our running game is mediocre as anything.

PTI
05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
By the way to anyone comparing Fitz numbers to Jim kelly, please stop it, this is now a passing league, there is no touch on receivers, the game is now completely setup for QBs to be successful. The numbers are inflated because of that.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 09:53 AM
You can't without respect given to the QB. Crap QB is just as big of a reason our running game is mediocre as anything.

it goes both ways. Run opens up the pass, pass opens up the run. Football 101.

PTI
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
it goes both ways. Run opens up the pass, pass opens up the run. Football 101.

Don't make it seem like you are that smart. You fail Football 101, at least Buffalo Bills football 101. No team respects the Bills passing game, so without a decent QB the pass will never open up the run, at least as long as Fitz is the QB.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Don't make it seem like you are that smart. You fail Football 101, at least Buffalo Bills football 101. No team respects the Bills passing game, so without a decent QB the pass will never open up the run, at least as long as Fitz is the QB.

Never said I was smart. But I am stupid enough to know that what I said was true.

stuckincincy
05-04-2011, 10:09 AM
It's my understanding that Stanford went through coaching changes, so we'll have to see if last year's Luck is this year's Luck (somebody slap me please!).

The Pac-10 (soon to be 12) just signed a fat tv contract, so I think that they will pressure their teams to play more and more spread offense to ramp up the viewership for more cash. It's all about improving higher education for the students, after all... :bighug:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6471380

PTI
05-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Never said I was smart. But I am stupid enough to know that what I said was true.\

What you said is true in theory but in no way, shape, or form resembles what the Bills are showing on the field and to say otherwise is a lie. There is no respect given for the Bills passing game, the opposing defense is always bunched up and daring the Bills to pass. Even when the Bills can run the ball, they have outsmarted themselves. Bills in the 2ng game against Patriots is case in point. The run DID NOT set up the pass at all, even though the Bills were successful early running the ball. Bills start the game out rushing, they rush the first 6 plays for 57 yards and storm down the field and then think it is a bright idea to pass the ball and get no where passing the ball and kick a 26 yard FG. They passed the rest of the game after that and Fitz sucked ass. There is no respect given to the Bills offense, this does not apply here. Why the heck the Bills didn't keep running the ball is a mystery to me, especially with the early success and the liability at QB.

Your theory applies to good teams, with good players, who are wll coached, you obviously fail in what you are watching. Stop stuffing the Cheetos and Doritos in your mouth and watch the games. Sadly you really don't understand what is happening.

PTI
05-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Even a bad team like the Lions have options at QB. They are not sitting there doing nothing at all like the Bills. They took a QB #1 overall 2 year after they took Drew Stanton in round 2. They signed a good backup, actually a better player than Fitz, in Shaun Hill to play there. They were still looking for a developmental type of QB and signed Zac Robinson, who was drafted by the Patriots and let go.

What did the Bills do? Absolutely nothing. They will never get better until QB is addressed and it should have been the #1 priority.

OpIv37
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Even a bad team like the Lions have options at QB. They are not sitting there doing nothing at all like the Bills. They took a QB #1 overall 2 year after they took Drew Stanton in round 2. They signed a good backup, actually a better player than Fitz, in Shaun Hill to play there. They were still looking for a developmental type of QB and signed Zac Robinson, who was drafted by the Patriots and let go.

What did the Bills do? Absolutely nothing. They will never get better until QB is addressed and it should have been the #1 priority.

what you fail to realize is that taking a QB with the Bills #1 doesn't necessarily make that QB worthy of a first round pick. Just because the Bills need a QB doesn't mean there is one available.

And when we have the 32nd ranked run D, it's not reasonable to conclude that QB should be the team's #1 priority.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
\

What you said is true in theory but in no way, shape, or form resembles what the Bills are showing on the field and to say otherwise is a lie. There is no respect given for the Bills passing game, the opposing defense is always bunched up and daring the Bills to pass. Even when the Bills can run the ball, they have outsmarted themselves. Bills in the 2ng game against Patriots is case in point. The run DID NOT set up the pass at all, even though the Bills were successful early running the ball. Bills start the game out rushing, they rush the first 6 plays for 57 yards and storm down the field and then think it is a bright idea to pass the ball and get no where passing the ball and kick a 26 yard FG. They passed the rest of the game after that and Fitz sucked ass. There is no respect given to the Bills offense, this does not apply here. Why the heck the Bills didn't keep running the ball is a mystery to me, especially with the early success and the liability at QB.

Your theory applies to good teams, with good players, who are wll coached, you obviously fail in what you are watching. Stop stuffing the Cheetos and Doritos in your mouth and watch the games. Sadly you really don't understand what is happening.

Duh! Why do you think I said fix the run and you'll see a better Fitz? I saw what happened. A qb who threw for 3000 yards in 9 games despite being in a new system with a revolving OL with late to undrafted wr's .

Again, he's not a franchise qb but he didn't suck either despite the circumstances. Anyone who says he blows under the circumstances is blind or doesn't know football.

Cheetos and Doritos taste good.

better days
05-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Duh! Why do you think I said fix the run and you'll see a better Fitz? I saw what happened. A qb who threw for 3000 yards in 9 games despite being in a new system with a revolving OL with late to undrafted wr's .

Again, he's not a franchise qb but he didn't suck either despite the circumstances. Anyone who says he blows under the circumstances is blind or doesn't know football.

Well said, but I prefer Fritos myself.

PTI
05-04-2011, 10:36 AM

If he had 3000 yards in 9 games, I might think about keeping him. Your OL and revolving WRs sounds eerily similar to what happened in Indianapolis. Actually, that is exactly what happened in Indy. With no running game either, but a clutch as hell QB. Indy's defense wasn't much better than Buffalo's too. Stop with the excuses for Fitz, I have an example to shoot it down every time.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 10:41 AM
If he had 3000 yards in 9 games, I might think about keeping him. Your OL and revolving WRs sounds eerily similar to what happened in Indianapolis. Actually, that is exactly what happened in Indy. With no running game either, but a clutch as hell QB. Indy's defense wasn't much better than Buffalo's too. Stop with the excuses for Fitz, I have an example to shoot it down every time.

My bad. Was thinking of something else. 3000 yards 3 games short still does not make him suck under the circumstances.

You tell people that we shouldn't compare him to Kelly and yet you're trying to compare him to Peyton because it makes him look bad? NO ONE is saying he's Peyton Manning. No one said he's a franchise QB. People (including myself ) have already said he's not a franchise qb. Simply saying he does not blow as you make him out to be.

Whats next? Are you gonna tell us that we said he's a HOF'mer?

PTI
05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I said the numbers, don't do that justaspostsfan. Kelly to Fitz is an apples to oranges comparison for numbers, they played in a different era with different rules in place, it is completely fair to compare Manning and Fitz and what they do, they play in the same era, both had OL revolving door, WRs hurt, no running game, and crap defense. One just happens to be a good QB and one is not.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
I said the numbers, don't do that justaspostsfan. Kelly to Fitz is an apples to oranges comparison for numbers, they played in a different era with different rules in place, it is completely fair to compare Manning and Fitz and what they do, they play in the same era, both had OL revolving door, WRs hurt, no running game, and crap defense. One just happens to be a good QB and one is not.

But Indy's problems are still overcomed by a franchise qb that we have admitted Fitz isn't.

Peyton is good?Looks like you're then one stuffing you face with Cheetos and Doritos. No he isn't, he's great.

Mahdi
05-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I think we need to see how good Fitz can be with another year under Gailey.

In the offseason though I would add another vet QB to act as an insurance policy and keep the fire under Fitz as competition.

There are some intriguing mobile QBs in FA that we can add such as:

Tarvaris Jackson

Alex Smith

Tyler Thigpen

Bruce Gradkowski

Any one of those guys could come in and compete for a starting job and be a very solid backup.

Next year, if we are anywhere near Barkley or Luck I think you trade whatever it takes to get one of them because we shouldn't have too many more needs at that point.

EDS
05-04-2011, 02:43 PM

In the offseason though I would add another vet QB to act as an insurance policy and keep the fire under Fitz as competition.

There are some intriguing mobile QBs in FA that we can add such as:

Tarvaris Jackson

Alex Smith

Tyler Thigpen

Bruce Gradkowski

Any one of those guys could come in and compete for a starting job and be a very solid backup.

Next year, if we are anywhere near Barkley or Luck I think you trade whatever it takes to get one of them because we shouldn't have too many more needs at that point.

I agree. At this point, this is the only logical approach.

stuckincincy
05-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Bruce Gradkowski

I'm all for taking a look at Gradkoski - but last I heard, he injured...no?

But, of course, he's small - 6'1", 210. Like Brees (6'0', 209), or the rookie Dalton ( 6'2", 215).
:hand:

Mr. Pink
05-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Bring back JP Losman!

X-Era
05-04-2011, 06:03 PM
So far the majority wants to get our QB in next years draft with our 1st rounder, whether it's whoever drops to our picks, or by trading up for Luck or the #2 QB.

X-Era
05-05-2011, 06:28 AM
Now the two options that have received the most votes are a trade up next year for either Luck or the #2 guy.

alohabillsfan
05-05-2011, 06:50 AM

X-Era
05-05-2011, 07:11 AM
15184Hang in there, it's a long off-season.