• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Draft day winners and losers

Granted, it's hard to predict the future. But as of today, these are my winners and losers of draft day. Sure, there were more winners and more losers, but these are the most obvious ones in my opinion. What do you think?

Winners and Losers
  • Lone Stranger
    • Sep 2002

Re: Draft day winners and losers

You seem to be on target here.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
      • Jul 2003

Not for nothing, but Marcus Cannon doesn't have a "skin-condition". He has Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, which is a form of blood cancer.

Also, the reason the Pats took 2 RB is because they only have 2 under contract, Danny Woodhead and Benjarvus Green-Ellis. I can understand if you criticize the picks, but it was undeniably a need.

Also, Seattle picked OT James Carpenter at #25, not a guard. Seattle had a huge need on the OL, it was a big problem for them last year, which is why they drafted Carpenter and Moffitt. They have neglected their OL for years.
      Last edited by Ickybaluky; 05-03-2011, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
        The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
        • Feb 2005

T- im digging the article but i almost feel a bit of homerism when you write about NE... maybe its my OWN homerism :)
        In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

I'd have included the Saints as having a great draft.

Comment

• T-Long
            Circling the Wagons since 1982.
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
            Not for nothing, but Marcus Cannon doesn't have a "skin-condition". He has Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, which is a form of blood cancer.

Also, the reason the Pats took 2 RB is because they only have 2 under contract, Danny Woodhead and Benjarvus Green-Ellis. I can understand if you criticize the picks, but it was undeniably a need.

Also, Seattle picked OT James Carpenter at #25, not a guard. Seattle had a huge need on the OL, it was a big problem for them last year, which is why they drafted Carpenter and Moffitt. They have neglected their OL for years.
            Good catch on the lymphoma. My uncle was just diagnosed with skin cancer, so must have had that on the brain and didn't catch it.

As for the RB need for the Pats, I have to disagree. You just said they have two under contract already. So, you need to draft two more? That makes absolutely no sense. One yes, but not two back to back. What are you going to do with 4 RB's? If a guy makes the practice squad after taking him early Day 3, then that is not a successful pick IMO.

Carpenter projects in the NFL as a right tackle or guard. If you are considered to be a guard, then you should not be taken in round 1. I even wrote that in article if you noticed. I said that they may see him as a guard or possibly a right tackle. If you are taking a tackle in the first round, then he best be your tackle and not possibly your starting guard.

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

The more I think about it, the more I would have included the Colts also as having a great draft. Without Manning, the Colts are a below avg team. The Patriots have exposed their weakness as forcing Peyton to move to make him less accurate and force errors or incompletions. He needed better protection and they got it for him with top Olinemen. I applaud their effort. He is the general of that team and he can pick another team apart with time - and that's exactly what they've tried to move toward. Polian knows what he's doing...

Comment

• Bangarang
                • Sep 2010

It was the players chosen and not necessarily the positions picked. The Seahawks picked Carpenter with Carimi and Sherrod still on the board. To me that's a head scratcher. Same thing with the 2 RBs the Pats picked. There had to have been better RBs available in the 2nd round.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by T-Long
                  As for the RB need for the Pats, I have to disagree. You just said they have two under contract already. So, you need to draft two more? That makes absolutely no sense. One yes, but not two back to back. What are you going to do with 4 RB's? If a guy makes the practice squad after taking him early Day 3, then that is not a successful pick IMO.
                  They only have 2 RB on the whole team, one under contract for one more year and one under contract for 2 more years. Most teams carry 4-5. That makes it a need, in fact a very large need. They still need more before camp, but they had a huge need at RB. I am not sure how you can't see that.

New Orleans took Mark Ingram despite already having Reggie Bush, Chris Ivory and recently re-signing Pierre Thomas. Does that make it a dumb pick? No.

Carpenter projects in the NFL as a right tackle or guard. If you are considered to be a guard, then you should not be taken in round 1. I even wrote that in article if you noticed. I said that they may see him as a guard or possibly a right tackle. If you are taking a tackle in the first round, then he best be your tackle and not possibly your starting guard.
                  Carpenter started the last 2 years for Alabama at LT. He was All-SEC. Pete Carroll has already said they will play him at RT.

I also don't buy that #25 can't be an OG. Was Eric Wood a bad pick? Buffalo took him at #28 and he played right away at OG. Baltimore took Ben Grubbs at #29 in 2007 and he has been a rock for them. The Pats took Logan Mankins at #31. Steve Hutchinson, was taken at #17.

I can understand not taking an OG in the top half of the first round, but #25 is not too late for an OG (even though Carpenter was taken to play RT).

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by Bangarang
                    It was the players chosen and not necessarily the positions picked. The Seahawks picked Carpenter with Carimi and Sherrod still on the board. To me that's a head scratcher. Same thing with the 2 RBs the Pats picked. There had to have been better RBs available in the 2nd round.
                    That isn't what he wrote, he wrote that he didn't understand them taking 2 RB. It is a huge need for them, though.

I can understand having opinions on players, but really they haven't played. Jacksonville was ripped for "reaching" to take Tyson Alualu, but it has proven to be a great pick. Other teams were high on Alualu, so they jumped up and got him and he proved worth it, that makes it a great pick IMO.

As for Carimi and Sherrod, it isn't like they were rated as elite OL. Some might prefer them, but Seattle preferred Anderson. Either way, you can't say they weren't addressing a need.

As for the Pats, Vereen is a great fit for their system. They value all-around players who can run, block and catch. He has decent size (5-10, 210#), good speed, can block and can catch the ball. The only reason people look at it strangely is because they passed on LeShoure (taken with the following pick). However, LeShoure doesn't fit as well. I actually really like the Verren pick, it was one of my favorites. I was less sold on Solder and Dowling, who seem to be very talented but have more risk. I hate risk on high picks. I see Vereen as a pretty easy projection to their offense, and think he will fit in well.

Then, in the 3rd they took Ridley, a big back to use in short yardage and big packages who excelled on ST in college. 3rd round isn't a premium pick, so I have no problem with picking a guy who will be a role player there.

I think the dumbest thing is to criticize them for taking Mallett. Is there risk? Sure, but it was only a 3rd round pick. The potential reward is very high. Even if it only has a 25% chance of paying off, it is worth it. I remember Ron Wolf saying he would take a QB every year if the right guy was there, because it is such an important position and if the guy turned out good it was a trade asset. Mallett seems worth that.
                    Last edited by Ickybaluky; 05-03-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                      I'd have included the Saints as having a great draft.

yep. saints and colts both had excellent drafts.
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• paladin warrior
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

N.E Losers
                        Last edited by paladin warrior; 05-04-2011, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• jcdavey
                          • Dec 2006

most of what i've seen had pats scoring an A on their draft

fanhub looks a bit like bleacherreport.....

Comment

• X-Era
                            What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                            • Feb 2005

Granted, it's hard to predict the future. But as of today, these are my winners and losers of draft day. Sure, there were more winners and more losers, but these are the most obvious ones in my opinion. What do you think?

Winners and Losers
                            Dude, your piece on New England was virtually plagiarism... if I had actually wrote down my thoughts. NE sucks.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

Shh, don't stop him, he is on a roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X