PDA

View Full Version : Modrak out as head of Scouting

methos4ever
05-04-2011, 10:39 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/65801895553417216

@JasonLaCanfora
Jason La Canfora
The Buffalo Bills today announced that Tom Modrak has been relieved of his duties as Vice President of College Scouting.

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Just got the VText too

The King
05-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Adam Schefter also reports....

elltrain22
05-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Its about fricken time!! Can anyone explained how this happens after the draft though??

zone
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Its about fricken time!! Can anyone explained how this happens after the draft though??
Nix was like "you want to take who?" "After we get out of here your fired!"

tcb5033
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
It's weird that they would do this days after the draft. Not to mention the first decent draft in years.

Philagape
05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm enjoying this period of taking out the trash.

The King
I bet Nix probably disagreed with most of his assessments. And that was that.

BillsWin

Yes.

homeslice5484
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Probably cause he already started scouting this draft class before Nix took over...they are always a year ahead of the current class Nix has said before. They started scouting next years draft class during last season.

methos4ever
This is when you'd do it, as he wouldn't be involved in the next year's scouting. To fire him before the draft, you'd give a team a free shot at your intel from the previous year.

The King
Who in this room like Aaron Maybin...

bosshogg21
I love nix.

superbills
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It was the WWJD (What Would Jauron Do) bracelet he refused to stop wearing.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
It's only logical that he leaves after the draft. No NFL team, I mean no one, will ever release your head of scouting before NFL draft. If you don't understand the implication of that, then you should not even comment on NFL draft at all.

Slim
05-04-2011, 10:47 AM
I wonder who will take over his job. Probably somebody already in the orginization.

Ebenezer
05-04-2011, 10:47 AM
'bout time...when many wanted TD fired there were those of us who claimed Modrak was more of the problem...

madness
05-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Ok, so who's left and when does Nix fire Ralph?

mysticsoto
05-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I wonder will take over his job. Probably somebody already in the orginization.

Draftboy, X-Era, get your resume in...QUICK!!!

wmoz11
05-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, this was definitely in the works before the draft. Probably months ago, in fact. The scouting process for this draft started over a year ago.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Wow, Then I may have to take back my thoughts about Modrak. Will have to wait til I find out why though.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 10:54 AM
I wonder who will take over his job. Probably somebody already in the orginization.

WHaley?

ghz in pittsburgh
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
This smells a good story behind it and I wonder who will get it out first.

From what I understand, Modrak reached out and got Nix back into One Bills Drive. But the announcement today have all the marking of a not happy divorce.

Don't under-estimate the impact of this move. Remember virtually all the acouts are hired by Modrak during his 10 years with the Bills. This is like changing your head coach of the team.

PTI
05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
I bet Modrak wanted Gabbert!!! hahaha

ghz in pittsburgh
05-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Haley?
Who's Haley?

If you mean Whaley, it's a possibility but he might be a little young yet. He's well known for scouting defensive players in Pittsburgh. Lamar Woodley, Polamalu are the most notables.

methos4ever
05-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Don't forget Buddy may poach now-Charger, formerly ex-Bill scouts who have been ingrained in the scouting style he wants here:

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/mike-biehl/d610304c-fd7d-44f3-8d3d-ee45b804ac79

Mike Biehl was promoted to assistant director of college scouting in April 2008 after serving as a college scout from ’01. He scouts the Midwest region of the country and handles other key player assignments. Biehl spent the 1998-00 seasons working in the personnel department for the Buffalo Bills.

Biehl was born in Champaign, Illinois. He attended Paxton (Ill.) HS, where he played baseball and basketball, and he graduated from Illinois State University with a bachelor’s degree in finance and a master’s in sports management.

Mike and wife, Kim, have a son, Nathan, and a daughter, Kendall, and they make their home in Tolono, Illinois.

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/tom-gibbons/3e2e5a78-5ba6-4be7-b0a3-78f75c491ba5

Gibbons evaluates college players in the Northeast region of the country. He was hired by the Buffalo Bills in 1992 as an administrative assistant in scouting and spent 12 years (1995-03) as a college and pro scout. Prior, he spent 1990-91 as a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh.

Gibbons is a graduate of Indiana (Pa.) University where was a four-year letterwinner as both a linebacker and tight end. In 1989, he joined the Indians’ staff as tight ends coach.

Gibbons was born in Dunkirk, N.Y. He and his wife, Kristin, have two sons, E.J. and Thomas, and reside in Hamburg, N.Y.

Mr. Miyagi
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Ding Dong the witch is dead!!!

methos4ever
05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
I would seriously suggest y'all do it. I believe Hand is the one scout on the staff that hounded them and they eventually gave a job!

k-oneputt
05-04-2011, 11:15 AM
LOL, but, but, but, I thought he wasn't responsible for all these crappy drafts. About time.

TacklingDummy
05-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Why? X-Era would have drafted Gabbert.

And DB would have drafted a reach so that if xxx player worked out he could have one of those I'm smarter than everybody moments.

k-oneputt
05-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Modrak probably wanted to draft one of his stupid ass overrated players in the second round that take five years to develop if ever. Were still waiting on most of his gems.

mrbojanglezs
05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
who takes over for him now? Whaley?

stuckincincy
05-04-2011, 11:29 AM

His employment contract expired after the draft, not before? Dunno...

mysticsoto
05-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm really starting to like Nix more and more!!!

madness
05-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Modrak relieved of duties

By Chris Brown, Lead Journalist
Posted 53 minutes ago

The Buffalo Bills announced that Tom Modrak has been relieved of his duties as Vice President of College Scouting Wednesday.
“This is the time of year when we evaluate every element of our football operation and with the Draft now completed, we have decided to reorganize our personnel department,” said Bills GM Buddy Nix. “We have begun that process and made a decision to head in a different direction. We thank Tom for his 10 years of dedication to our organization and wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
Modrak helped the organization prepare for the NFL draft for the past decade serving most recently as Vice President of College Scouting.
The personnel executive had been with the club since June of 2001 when he was named Director of Football Operations. He served as Assistant General Manager from 2002-2006 before his title was changed to Director of College Scouting in 2007.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Modrak-relieved-of-duties/9935f36a-600c-4420-81ed-fb037bdf6070

OpIv37
who takes over for him now? Whaley?

it could be a 12 year old who buys a couple of draft guides- the results would still be better.

madness
Modrak always took ownership (http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2011/05/04/modrak-always-took-ownership/)

<small>Posted by Chris Brown on <abbr title="2011-05-04T11:10:57+0000"> May 4, 2011 – 11:10 am </abbr> </small>

With the Bills announcing that Tom Modrak has been relieved of his duties (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Modrak-relieved-of-duties/9935f36a-600c-4420-81ed-fb037bdf6070) with the club it seemed appropriate to note that the now former Vice President of College Scouting always took ownership of the draft classes that were assembled during his time in Buffalo.
Though he never did have final say in his time with the Bills, during the Draft Luncheon held nine days before the 2011 NFL draft, Modrak and Bills GM Buddy Nix were answering questions together and when one question asked about the past decade of drafting and how it’s affected the team’s success rate, Modrak was the first to answer.
“That would be for me because I’ve been here for that time, and Buddy hasn’t,” said Modrak. ”How much? I don’t know if I can quantify that and say that number because without trying to escape that, I think there are a lot of things that go into putting a team together. Certainly we’ve had our misses up at the top. We’ve done pretty well in the middle and at the end, the non-glamour kind of picks. We’ve missed some that are regrettable, but we’ve tried to make up for it in some of our other areas.
“But there are a bunch of things that go into making a team what it is. In this draft, you’re going to try to solve some of those problems. I don’t think that you can solve them all, but you’re going to try to solve some of them. If you can do that and keep making progress, that’s a good thing.”
Nix then followed up a short time later knowing that the success of college prospects at the NFL level goes beyond just how they’re evaluated by a scouting department.
“I’ve been doing this stuff all my life,” said Nix. ”I believe very strongly that there’s three phases to a draft and to a guy being successful. One of them falls on personnel. You’ve got to pick the right guy. He’s got to have enough athletic ability and enough intelligence, production, to do the job which is what you spend the year doing. We’re scouts and personnel guys.
“The second phase now, and don’t make light of it, because it’s just as important is coaching, strength coaches, and trainers. That’s the second phase, and both of those things have to be in place. If not, the development of the guy is ******ed. I’m not going to name teams, but the media name teams every year that get top guys, and they don’t get any better. They actually may go the other way, and it’s the developmental part.
“The third thing, and it doesn’t matter if you’ve got both of them: you picked exactly the right guy, you took him at the right time, everybody busted it to try to get it better, but if that guy is not willing to be a professional and do everything it takes … you can go back and look at the so-called “busts” and it’s one of these three phases. You’ve got to have it all for them to be really good. So, even though we put it all on one thing: “that was a terrible draft… that was a bust… those (guys) don’t know…” … that’s just the way you look at it. But that’s (only) about a third of it.”

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 11:35 AM

And DB would have drafted a reach so that if xxx player worked out he could have one of those I'm smarter than everybody moments.

Yes I would have and given my track record, better than 60% chance I would of been right.

Don't forget I beat both Kiper and McShay this year in Mock Draft contests, Ive had more than my fair share of hits in the drafts (and some bad misses).

Ill happily apply for a position with the Bills just as soon as they let me know where to send my resume to.

better days
05-04-2011, 11:36 AM

Please no. The Bills would have taken either Peterson or Gabbert instead of Dareus if they had a say.

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Please no. The Bills would have taken either Peterson or Gabbert instead of Dareus if they had a say.

Not if I was in the room. Where do you come up with this?

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 11:42 AM
in db's defense, he wanted Mallet all along.... er I mean Dareus even before Fairley lit it up in the championship game.

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 11:44 AM
in db's defense, he wanted Mallet all along.... er I mean Dareus even before Fairley lit it up in the championship game.

If I could still ban you...now would be the 1764th time I would of done it.

mysticsoto

Draftboy and I usually agree alot on picks, so I SERIOUSLY wish he would consider it (though they probably'd want someone with experience - I would imagine you have to start as a scout and work your way up). A couple of years ago DB and I did a 7 rd mock draft and it was surprising how often we agreed. There were only a few times that we disagreed and flipped a coin on those. And every year, either I or he posts a mock draft, I can see alot of similarities in our picks.

I would much rather have DB there over Modrak!!!

bf1
This firing was long overdue.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 11:46 AM
bumbling nix

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM

Maybe this can clear things up for you:

"Hi, New England Patriots? Bill Belichick, please. Tell him it's Tom Modrak from the Bills. Let him know I just got fired a week before the draft. Oh, he'll take my call immediately? Great!"

PTR

bf1
05-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Buddy got this one right. Modrak is much to blame for the last 11 years. I don't want to hear it.

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
blumbling nix

"Blumbling????" :lol:

PTR

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Draftboy and I usually agree alot on picks, so I SERIOUSLY wish he would consider it (though they probably'd want someone with experience - I would imagine you have to start as a scout and work your way up). A couple of years ago DB and I did a 7 rd mock draft and it was surprising how often we agreed. There were only a few times that we disagreed and flipped a coin on those. And every year, either I or he posts a mock draft, I can see alot of similarities in our picks.

I would much rather have DB there over Modrak!!!

You all start a grassroots effort, Ill be happy to submit my resume and we'll see if they call.

I just need to know who to send it to other than just Buddy Nix at One Bills Drive. I doubt he'd ever get it. So any ideas?

Pat, Doc, Coach Sal, Blame Canada? Anybody know someone I can put a resume in front of for a scouting position?

bf1
05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I still don't believe Dick Jauron hand-picked Aaron Maybin.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 11:54 AM
You all start a grassroots effort, Ill be happy to submit my resume and we'll see if they call.

I just need to know who to send it to other than just Buddy Nix at One Bills Drive. I doubt he'd ever get it. So any ideas?

Pat, Doc, Coach Sal, Blame Canada? Anybody know someone I can put a resume in front of for a scouting position?

you'd make a perfect scout to look for talent in alaska

FlyingDutchman
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
He was probably the moron who had Gabbert and Newton so high on our board. Peace out mother ******!

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
you'd make a perfect scout to look for talent in alaska

I hear Juneau is beautiful one week a year.

trapezeus
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Another nail in the maybin coffin is squarely put in place. this guy literally has to come busting out in TC and preseason to have a spot.

TacklingDummy
05-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Don't forget I beat both Kiper and McShay this year in Mock Draft contests, Ive had more than my fair share of hits in the drafts (and some bad misses).

Going by your final Mock Draft you had 6 right. I thought I read somewhere Kiper had 9 and McShay had 8 right. Not sure how you beat them.

Round 1:
1. Carolina Panthers – QB Cam Newton, Auburn
Not the most popular pick in the world but maybe the highest impact pick. He will still have to beat out Clausen, and Pike but given what they showed last season

2. Denver Broncos – LB Von Miller, Texas A&M
John Fox has a history of taking athletic playmakers and while Dareus may be the safer pick that is not the direction that the Broncos appear to be headed in.

3. Buffalo Bills – DE Marcel Dareus, Alabama
Apparently Buddy Nix has a direct phone line to Jesus because just a few days ago there was no way Dareus was going to fall to them. As it is with everything in the NFL draft it all changed and Buffalo has the best 5 tech DE in the draft.

4. Cincinnati Bengals – WR AJ Green, Georgia
Whether or not Carson Palmer stays in Cincinnati next year is still up in the air what is even less likely is that either (or both) Terrell Owens and Chad Johnson stick around. AJ Green offers a similar potential skill set to TOcho without the headaches they can cause.

5. Arizona Cardinals – LB Robert Quinn, UNC
Arizona is likely hoping that Von Miller falls to this spot but with him sticking at 2, they will take the next best thing in the athletic Robert Quinn. He doesn’t have as impressive an athletic skill set at Miller, but he’s no slouch either. He comes off the edge like a freight train and has just as much potential.

6. Cleveland Browns – CB Patrick Peterson, LSU
How does arguably the best player in this draft fall all the way to 6? Simple teams are afraid to take DB’s high in the draft. A player who should have been a lock to be top 3, falls out of the top 5 and it doesn’t take the Browns long to capitalize.

7. San Francisco 49ers – CB Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
San Francisco has said to be interested in replacing Alex Smith at QB but the value they get from taking Amukamara here is too much to pass on. With Nate Clements nearing the end Amukamara provides a very good replacement.

8. Tennessee Titans – QB Blaine Gabbert, Missouri
Vince Young is still on Tennessee (for now) but it’s clear that most in the organization don't see him as the future. Gabbert is a guy who many don't think will drop this far and with a new regime I think they take a marquee guy.

9. Dallas Cowboys – OT Tyron Smith, USC
One of the worst kept secrets of this draft is how enamored Jerry Jones and his team are with the junior from So Cal. An athletic product if he can perform the same way at over 300 lbs that he did under, then they might have found a franchise bookend.

10. Washington Redskins – DE Cameron Jordan, Cal
One of my favorite prospects in this draft, Jordan is underrated in terms of his versatility and athleticism. Many want to pigeon hole him as a stud run defender in the 3-4 but he has plenty of pass rush ability that could flourish in Washington.

11. Houston Texans - Julio Jones, WR
Andre Johnson meet Julio Jones...The AFC South is going to have nightmares for years. WR may not be a need for Houston but again with most of the elite DL gone, Houston will look for the most value.

12. Minnesota Vikings – DT Nick Fairley, Auburn
Fairley's attitude and previous record have a cross hair on his back already and that's why you see him fall. Playing next to Kevin Williams allows Minnesota to have a dynamic DT duo that should make an immediate impact.

13. Detroit Lions – CB Jimmy Smith, Colorado
Detroit would love to see Prince fall to here but instead they get an equally talented on the field, but troubled off the field CB. If he can hone his skills and keep control off the field the Lions may have gotten a steal.

14. St. Louis Rams - Aldon Smith, DE/OLB
Last year the Jason Hall exploded for a career year with 14 sacks but at 34 that trend will not continue. Aldon Smith is an explosive edge rusher who will take some time to develop but gives Spags some serious options once he finally does.

15. Miami Dolphins –OG Mike Pouncey, Florida
Maybe little early for an interior lineman but Pouncey's stock is helped by the play of his brother at Pittsburgh. Dominant run blocker who knows how to move people will be a welcome addition in south Florida.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars – QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas
Jacksonville is a perfect situation for Ryan Mallett, he can come in and sit for a season, and learn the offense while adjusting to the NFL's speed. We all saw what happened last time Mallett had a year to sit and learn at Arkansas.

17. New England Patriots (From Oakland) – DE JJ Watt, Wisconsin
This pick almost makes too much sense for the Patriots. Watt is an ideal Patriots player in how hard he works and how hard his motor runs. Shouldn’t take him long to become a fan favorite.

18. San Diego Chargers – DE Corey Liuget, Illinois
I think San Diego truly craves JJ Watt here but will happily take Corey Liuget. The powerful and athletic DT has been one of the hottest names this draft season and expect him to kick outside to DE in San Diego.

19. New York Giants - OT Anthony Castonzo, Boston College
The Giants need to get a little younger on the outside of OL. Many have high hopes for William Beatty still and adding Castonzo as another bookend could shore up the position for the next decade.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – DE Da'Quan Bowers, Clemson
Bowers free fall ends here as the Bucs try and find a linemate to team with last years top pick in Gerald McCoy. If Bowers is right and his knee injury is being over blown, Tampa has gotten the steal of the draft.

21. Kansas City Chiefs – DE Muhammad Wilkerson, Temple
Lots of people like a NT here for the Chiefs but I think Pioli would rather sit and wait to see who falls to round 2 instead of over drafting one here. Instead he opts for another fast rising DT to DE convert in Wilkerson from Temple.

22. Indianapolis Colts – OT Derek Sherrod, Mississippi State
Any hit on Peyton Manning is too much for Colts fans so they take my top OT here. A better run blocker than pass blocker for now Sherrod has the potential to develop into a franchise LT in a year or two.

23. Philadelphia Eagles – DE Ryan Kerrigan, Purdue
Lacks the pass rush repertoire and athleticism of some of the other DE's taken above him have, but will outwork just about any player in this class. Very strong and uses very good fundamentals to beat his man.

24. New Orleans Saints - DE Adrian Clayborn, Iowa
New Orleans need to find a way to get more pressure on the QB from the DE spot and Alex Brown did not fit the bill last season. Clayborn had a down year in 2010 and the Saints will be hoping he returns to his 2009 form.

25. Seattle Seahawks – QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
Surprised? Me too, however based on what I’m hearing the Seahawks are prepared to make a trade for Carson Palmer and then let Kaepernick come in and learn behind him for a couple of years like Rodgers did in Green Bay.

26. Baltimore Ravens – OT Gabe Carimi, Wisconsin
No secret Baltimore would prefer a CB here but with the top guys all gone, I think they'll look to fill another need at OT. Carimi has the ability to come in and start from Day 1 at RT.

27. Atlanta Falcons – TE Kyle Rudolph, Notre Dame
Luxury pick? Maybe, but with many of the top OT's and DE's gone Atlanta needs to look at value and Rudolph makes too much sense. He gives Matt Ryan another big target and learning behind Tony Gonzalez for a year can only mean good things.

28. New England Patriots – RB Mark Ingram, Albama
New England's second pick of the first round is another hard working blue collar kid who loves to just run the football. He'll add an element to this offense that New England hasn't had consistently in years.

29. Chicago Bears – OT Nate Solder, Colorado
Chris Williams has not quite worked out as Chicago had hoped so they land the final of the top tier OT's in Nate Solder. Solder a converted TE is still learning how to play LT but he his strength and athleticism are off the charts.

30. New York Jets -OG Danny Watkins, Baylor
Like the Chiefs I feel like the Jets would ideally like to go NT here but neither Phil Taylor or Kenrick Ellis represent the right value on my board. Watkins however is a versatile player who should start inside at OG but has potential to slide outside to RT in a year or two. Slight concern since he's already 26 but a well developed prospect.

31. Pittsburgh Steelers – CB Brandon Harris, Miami
In the Super Bowl, Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay were able to throw all over the Steelers defense. To try and combat this, the Steelers take a late blooming Brandon Harris who has tons of potential and has just begun to tap into it.

32. Green Bay Packers – LB Martez Wilson, Illinois
Some see Tez as an ILB in the NFL but he has the athleticism and ability to play outside. Green Bay has the luxury to take a chance here on Tez who at worst is going to be a productive LB and at best will become dominant.Round 2:

mysticsoto
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM

You gotta show initiative. Grab the phone and start making some calls...be persistent. Remember when Gailey read and actually answered an apology from a fan in TC when they were making fun of Trent Edwards and Gailey lashed out at them?

He'll take your call and/or read your resume. But you gotta make yourself stand out - so use creativity.

mysticsoto
05-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Going by your final Mock Draft you had 6 right. I thought I read somewhere Kiper had 9 and McShay had 8 right. Not sure how you beat them.

Did you look at the whole draft or just the 1st rd?

TacklingDummy
05-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Did you look at the whole draft or just the 1st rd?
1st round.

psubills62
05-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Very interesting. I'm very keen on seeing 1) who they replace him with, and 2) how this affects future drafts.

Have to wonder why they didn't do this right after last year's draft. Maybe they gave him one chance and if he and Nix didn't see eye to eye on the issues they identified, then he was gone.

Well, it's nice to see a cleaned house. Will they keep filling it with junk is the question.

PromoTheRobot
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
You gotta show initiative. Grab the phone and start making some calls...be persistent. Remember when Gailey read and actually answered an apology from a fan in TC when they were making fun of Trent Edwards and Gailey lashed out at them?

He'll take your call and/or read your resume. But you gotta make yourself stand out - so use creativity.

What might make a better resume is to actually go out and find a prospect and work them out on a DVD. NFL teams must get hundreds of resumes from people who want to be scouts who's only "experience" is making mock drafts on fan message boards. A better resume is showing Chan you have the eye.

PTR

ferg2butler
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Don't under-estimate the impact of this move. Remember virtually all the acouts are hired by Modrak during his 10 years with the Bills. This is like changing your head coach of the team.

That is the key, my friend. That is the key

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 12:07 PM

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml

24 Matthew Elder - Optimum Scouting 40 7 26
Sayre Bedinger - NFLMocks.com 40 7 26
26 Brad Clark - NFL's Future 40 6 28
Brian Fitgerald - Draft Daddy 40 6 28
Chad Thompson - NFL Draft Line 40 6 28
Drew Boylhart - The Huddle Report 40 6 28
Keet Bailey - NFL Soup 40 6 28
Ken Zalis - Fans' Fantasy Football 40 6 28
Ricky Dimon - FFToolbox 40 6 28
Ryan Lownes - Draft Breakdown 40 6 28
Todd McShay - ESPN 40 6 28
Mel Kiper jr - ESPN 40 6 28

psubills62
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
“The second phase now, and don’t make light of it, because it’s just as important is coaching, strength coaches, and trainers. That’s the second phase, and both of those things have to be in place. If not, the development of the guy is ******ed. I’m not going to name teams, but the media name teams every year that get top guys, and they don’t get any better. They actually may go the other way, and it’s the developmental part.
I've always thought that fans in particular underrate this aspect of the draft. Do people really think it's such a coincidence that the same teams "happen" to draft really good players? And what about the players that do very well in one place, but leave in FA and stink elsewhere (which seems to happen more often than not).

Coaching is a huge part of a prospect's development. I don't have a ton of confidence in Gailey up to this point, but he certainly deserves some more time.

ferg2butler
05-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Don't forget Buddy may poach now-Charger, formerly ex-Bill scouts who have been ingrained in the scouting style he wants here:

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/mike-biehl/d610304c-fd7d-44f3-8d3d-ee45b804ac79

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/tom-gibbons/3e2e5a78-5ba6-4be7-b0a3-78f75c491ba5

That would be magical

mysticsoto
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
What might make a better resume is to actually go out and find a prospect and work them out on a DVD. NFL teams must get hundreds of resumes from people who want to be scouts who's only "experience" is making mock drafts on fan message boards. A better resume is showing Chan you have the eye.

PTR

Not a bad idea. I don't know how much DB has done in terms of visiting local colleges in his area and interviewing prospects, etc...But a video doing some scout work might make him stand out from others...

TacklingDummy
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/mockdraftscoring.shtml
And going by the 1st round they crushed you.

stuckincincy
05-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Heh.

I'm a big Peterson fan - but with Dareus on the board - no contest.

I was pleased to see idiot DEN pass on him. DEN is the only pro team that I honestly hate, with their years and years of actively trying to injure other players. And also, the years and years of Elway not getting flagged with passes after crossing the LOS...

A day with a DEN defeat is a happy day for me.

trapezeus
05-04-2011, 12:38 PM
bin laden dead on monday, Modrak out on Wednesday....Who is feeling really good about friday?

Tatonka
05-04-2011, 01:16 PM
I hear Juneau is beautiful one week a year.

i was there last august.. its about a 3 week window.

mikemac2001
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
bin laden dead on monday, Modrak out on Wednesday....Who is feeling really good about friday?

Tom Brady :blowup:

k-oneputt
05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Db, just don't tell them about your infatuations with the small school "where smarter then you picks". That's over now. No Sunbelt guys in the first day anymore.

Michael82
05-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Excellent news and it explains why the draft was so good this year. I bet that Modrak had no say. :up:

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 02:10 PM
And going by the 1st round they crushed you.

No they didn't I beat them. The contest is not hard to figure out. It was only the first round.

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Db, just don't tell them about your infatuations with the small school "where smarter then you picks". That's over now. No Sunbelt guys in the first day anymore.

One year does not make for a trend. Plus I was raised in the south! With Nix and Gailey that's a good thing!

DraftBoy
05-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Not a bad idea. I don't know how much DB has done in terms of visiting local colleges in his area and interviewing prospects, etc...But a video doing some scout work might make him stand out from others...

He does a lot from what I hear, I heard he has interviewed something around 100 prospects over the last two draft classes. Video are overrated for the most part because you edit them to show anything you want and not show what you don't want. I have some friends in the scouting community I need to reach out to on this.

bf1
05-04-2011, 02:14 PM
I read somewhere that they kept Modrak around for this final draft to ask for his advice, then do the opposite of what he advised.

k-oneputt
05-04-2011, 02:21 PM
One year does not make for a trend. Plus I was raised in the south! With Nix and Gailey that's a good thing!

Let's hope it does make a trend. Eleven years of ridiculous picking is enough.

Stewie
05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Yes I would have and given my track record, better than 60% chance I would of been right.

Ill happily apply for a position with the Bills just as soon as they let me know where to send my resume to.
You know how I know you're not serious?

Because in 5 minutes, you can find out the e-mail addresses to the top decision makers in almost every organization on the planet.

Then you can e-mail them and convince them to hire you.

1. find an e-mail address for someone who works for the bills (a marketing person should be available easily)
2. Compile a list of names of key decision makers. Starting with the owner, find the name of everyone you can.
3. Use your cognitive powers to derive their e-mail addresses
4. Profit

You have no more excuses.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
As much as I'd like to believe you, the thought of Friday conjures up echoes of that hideous Rebecca Black tune.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 02:55 PM

And DB would have drafted a reach so that if xxx player worked out he could have one of those I'm smarter than everybody moments.I thanked this because I laughed... even as much of a ***** that this post was.

Love ya TD... keep that sig the same until we get it done.

EDS
05-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Maybe this can clear things up for you:

"Hi, New England Patriots? Bill Belichick, please. Tell him it's Tom Modrak from the Bills. Let him know I just got fired a week before the draft. Oh, he'll take my call immediately? Great!"

PTR

What useable information would he get? So he finds out the Bills like someone. Does that change BB's draft approach? I doubt it. If Green Bay had a copy of the Bills entire draft board I doubt it would impact them in any way.

X-Era
05-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Not if I was in the room. Where do you come up with this?Just an ingrateful group of sum *****es... we do all this work and provide as much info as we can to them for free... and this is the thanks we get. :D

SabreEleven
05-04-2011, 03:01 PM

I think Nix owes them an apology back since they were right in the first place.

Demon
05-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Excellent news and it explains why the draft was so good this year. I bet that Modrak had no say. :up:

I hate Modrak like anyone else, and i thought this was long overdue, even if he had zero to no say this time around, but, our drafts have been bad for many reasons, including Modrak. It wasn't a one-man disaster show.

don137
05-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Modrak probably wanted to draft Ingram in the first round and got upset when Nix took Dareus.

cgbm
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
i think the bills should hire X or DB.

then when they take horrible picks or dont do what we think is the best move we can find them on here and tell some people who can change things or at least be able to ***** to people who matter instead of eachother.

although i think the bills organization would want to hire someone for a vp of college scouting spot with a little better credentials than a B.S.er on a fan message board.

but i am still rooting for them both. although i know x cant back himself away from the computer long enough to actually do something with this.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 04:58 PM
What useable information would he get? So he finds out the Bills like someone. Does that change BB's draft approach? I doubt it. If Green Bay had a copy of the Bills entire draft board I doubt it would impact them in any way.
BB cheats. He'll find find a way to screw a rival team from getting better.

EDS
05-04-2011, 05:04 PM
BB cheats. He'll find find a way to screw a rival team from getting better.

The Bills have been able to accomplish this on their own for a decade - why would he mess with such an imperfect system?

better days
05-04-2011, 05:17 PM

I seem to remember you telling me that Peterson was the best player in the draft & worthy of the 3rd pick in the draft while I argued that was too high to pick a DB. We all know how X loved Gabbert.

Hey I'm just joking around. If you or X- Era could get hired as an entry level scout I would be very happy for you.

Demon
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Now that Modrak is gone, when do we fire Jim Overdorf? I won't celebrate until he's gone. Isn't he one of the main problems.... ?

Cleve
05-04-2011, 05:25 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/JasonLaCanfora/status/65801895553417216

Wow, you even scooped WGR. I got the text from WGR announcing Modrak's dismissal at 11:45 AM. Good work!

Cleve
05-04-2011, 05:26 PM
It's weird that they would do this days after the draft. Not to mention the first decent draft in years.

Well, I would guess that Modrak wasn't much of a factor in this most recent draft, judging by his dismissal today.

justasportsfan
05-04-2011, 05:39 PM
The Bills have been able to accomplish this on their own for a decade - why would he mess with such an imperfect system?

the bills sucked for a decade prior to the 4 sb's as did the patriots did prior to drew bledsoe era. it has to end at some point.

JPFBillsFan
05-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Anyway he can take the trash (Maybin) with him on the way out

I <3 Nix

jpdex12
05-04-2011, 08:47 PM

Will they let you keep working from your mother's basement though?:lol:

Danny Duberstein
05-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't understand why anybody is questioning the timing of this.

Right after the draft is basically the start of the year for scouts.

Right after the draft = the perfect time to fire/hire a scout.

Thief
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
You know how I know you're not serious?

Because in 5 minutes, you can find out the e-mail addresses to the top decision makers in almost every organization on the planet.

Then you can e-mail them and convince them to hire you.

1. find an e-mail address for someone who works for the bills (a marketing person should be available easily)
2. Compile a list of names of key decision makers. Starting with the owner, find the name of everyone you can.
3. Use your cognitive powers to derive their e-mail addresses
4. Profit

You have no more excuses.No offense, but for the head of scouting, is it even a serious consideration?

ublinkwescore
05-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Who in this room like Aaron Maybin...

By me thanking you, I am not endorsing Aaron Maybin.

Stewie
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
No offense, but for the head of scouting, is it even a serious consideration?

Of course not, but it is for janitor/I'll do anything and you won't be sorry

ServoBillieves
05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
I was near the promised land (was in Olean/Watertown the past couple of days) and had no internet access, but BOOYAH! Huge win for the fans.

Demon
05-04-2011, 11:32 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article412832.ece

Interesting article.

1. Modrak got us Buddy Nix.
2. Modrak did NOT want Maybin.
3. Maybin was Jauron's pick
4. Jauron didn't think Ngata fit our system, one could assume Buffalo News suggested Modrak pushed for Ngata, but got rejected.
5. Donahoe wanted JP Losman, also not a Modrak pick.

mikemac2001
05-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Then why did they fire him?

Idk I always felt he got a bad rap bc it never seemed like it was his call

Interesting article.

3. Maybin was Jauron's pick,
4. Jauron didn't think Ngata fit our system.

PromoTheRobot
05-05-2011, 12:27 AM

Duh. You think when you pick #33 it's nice to know who #34 wanted? :doh:

PTR

Mike
05-05-2011, 12:46 AM
This is when you'd do it, as he wouldn't be involved in the next year's scouting. To fire him before the draft, you'd give a team a free shot at your intel from the previous year.

I dont think any team would really value our intel. Usually when teams start over, like we did, everyone get fired especially guys like Modrak. I remember when they fired TD, many suitors could have had him and his "intel" -and recall that he had many successful seasons before the Bills as Pittsburg's GM-. Anyway, if a far more successful guy like TD does not get scooped up for his intel, I dont think that Modrak would. I think they found him helpful but not insightful, and it was the right decision in the end. He had no business being here to begin with.

bosshogg21
05-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Nothing against draftboy but I believe you wanted Patrick Peterson with the 3 pick. That I'm not ok with. No corner should go that high. Now I understand that was when dareus was supposed to go to the broncos. It was Von miller or nothing with that pick if dareus is off the board.

X-Era
05-05-2011, 06:06 AM

Interesting article.

3. Maybin was Jauron's pick
4. Jauron didn't think Ngata fit our system, one could assume Buffalo News suggested Modrak pushed for Ngata, but got rejected.

1. Buddy Nix would have jumped at the chance to be our GM regardless, I don't credit Modrak with any real score there.
2. I wanted Orakpo
3. I would have punched skeletor in the face, knocked him out, and then called in the Orakpo pick
4. I would not have taken Whitner, and I might have made the argument to take Ngata even if he didn't fit our Tampa 2.
5. I wanted us to move up to get Roeth.

BTW, I'm running for Bills Scout... :D

alohabillsfan
05-05-2011, 06:55 AM
The Bills tried to jump Pitt. to draft Rothlisberger, but the Jags said no.

DraftBoy
05-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Nothing against draftboy but I believe you wanted Patrick Peterson with the 3 pick. That I'm not ok with. No corner should go that high. Now I understand that was when dareus was supposed to go to the broncos. It was Von miller or nothing with that pick if dareus is off the board.

I disagree, that is a correct representation of what I said. So thank you for that.

DraftBoy
05-05-2011, 07:34 AM
I seem to remember you telling me that Peterson was the best player in the draft & worthy of the 3rd pick in the draft while I argued that was too high to pick a DB. We all know how X loved Gabbert.

Hey I'm just joking around. If you or X- Era could get hired as an entry level scout I would be very happy for you.

Yea operating under the assumption that Dareus was gone.

People need to keep in while my Big Board may have said one thing, my Bills Big Board looked quite a bit different.

DynaPaul
05-05-2011, 08:02 AM
There is a God.

EDS
05-05-2011, 08:22 AM
Duh. You think when you pick #33 it's nice to know who #34 wanted? :doh:

PTR

Do you think the Pats care who the Bills want? They might care if Green Bay or another successful organization wants, but not a bottom feeder like the Bills.

CleveSteve
05-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Then why did they fire him?

Idk I always felt he got a bad rap bc it never seemed like it was his call

Hate to rain on the parade, but it's possible that he blew up during the draft itself regarding one (or more) of the selections...

Maybe he didn't think taking overrated corner Aaron Williams was a good idea with Reed and Sheard still on the board at #34 and the Bills having no pass rush?

Maybe he was furious that Buffalo let all the good tackles fall of the board, then drafted Hairston at 122?

I'm just saying... only a few people know the real story. And nobody on here.

justasportsfan
05-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Do you think the Pats care who the Bills want? They might care if Green Bay or another successful organization wants, but not a bottom feeder like the Bills.

they care. If they didn't care they wouldn't have cheated.

BB is not stupid. He knows that teams can eventually turn it around especially if teams start getting good players. He himself did it. Anyone who overlooks any team is an idiot and BB isn't one of them . He wouldn't have won sb if he overlooked teams. BB has proven to be a coach who steps on your neck even when you're already down.

PromoTheRobot
05-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Does Belichick lose sleep over it? No. Is it good to know? Absolutely. This "bottom-feeder" just got a lot better in this draft.

PTR

Northern Stampede
05-05-2011, 06:21 PM

I completely agree!!!

X-Era
05-05-2011, 07:05 PM
Just watched my DVR of day two of the draft... they show the Bills War Room on TV as were making the 2nd round pick, Modrak's chair has his big binders of players sitting on it, and it's very obvious he hasn't been there and is nowhere to be found as we make the pick.

Michael82
05-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Just watched my DVR of day two of the draft... they show the Bills War Room on TV as were making the 2nd round pick, Modrak's chair has his big binders of players sitting on it, and it's very obvious he hasn't been there and is nowhere to be found as we make the pick.
I saw him there in his chair on Day 1.