• Show
Clear All
  • Mad Max
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
    • Mar 2003

Nix and company don't really think Fitzy is the long term answer either

Originally posted by Clark Judge and Nix

First round
    At the third spot, the Bills were ideally situated to take a quarterback or one of the top three defensive players -- linebacker Von Miller, defensive tackle Marcell Dareus or cornerback Patrick Peterson. When Carolina opened by taking Cam Newton, and Denver followed by picking Miller, Buffalo's decision was a snap. It took Dareus, the wise and necessary choice for a club that ranked 32nd against the run.
    Nix: "We had opportunities to trade out here, with many calls -- eight or 10 -- from people wanting to move up. But we're getting to the point [where we don't do that]. It's been two years now, and if it keeps going this way people are going to quit calling because our answer is, 'No.' My experience has always been if you have a guy in mind and say, 'Oh, yeah, we can get him at this pick so we'll move back,' inevitably he is gone. It happened more times than one. So we're inclined not to do it. Now, did we consider a quarterback here? Yes, we did. But we did our work as well as we could on every quarterback, and we passed.
    You don't "consider" drafting a QB at #3 unless you feel you need a significant upgrade over the guy that's there.

Originally posted by Clark Judge and Nix
    Second round Again, the temptation was there to jump for a quarterback. Most observers figured Cincinnati would take one with the 35th pick, so, at 34, Buffalo was perfectly set up to beat the Bengals to the next quarterback on the board or to trade the choice to someone who would. Only it didn't, passing on both options. Instead, it chose Texas cornerback Aaron Williams, and with cornerbacks Ashton Youboty and Drayton Florence scheduled to become free agents, Leodis McKelvin underwhelming and Terrence McGee coming off two injury-plagued seasons, it's easy to see why.

Nix: "Again, we fielded trade offers, but, as I said earlier, we're just not inclined to do that. The situation with the quarterback was the same as it was in the first round. Just to take a guy ... and not that these are just 'guys' because we had them at the Senior Bowl, so our staff was around them all week and really got to know them ... but had we thought there was one who could come in and be our quarterback we might have done it. Instead, we felt like we had greater needs and that we could get more of an immediate impact rather than looking down the road for a quarterback .......
    This tells me two things: 1.) That they most certainly want to upgrade Fitzy 2.) They felt much like myself (and at least a few others here) that this crop of QBs was mediocre and there was no reason to grab one just to say we did...why get another Edwards? Losman? Hold your water and wait until 2012..we will certainly draft a QB there.

I feel as good about what Nix and the organization didn't do in this draft as what they did do.
    Last edited by Mad Max; 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Nix and company don't really think Fitzy is the long term answer either

I don't like that he's not inclined to trade down. I would not have moved out of 3 once
    MD fell to us but why not move out of 34? Depending on how far we moved down we still could have gotten Williams and if not there were a lot of good players available.

Comment

• Mad Max
      Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Novacane
      I don't like that he's not inclined to trade down. I would not have moved out of 3 once
      MD fell to us but why not move out of 34? Depending on how far we moved down we still could have gotten Williams and if not there were a lot of good players available.
      Ya that is a bit of a rigid philosophy. It appears as if they're locked in on guys...if that guy is available they're not risking not getting him.

Comment

• cgbm
        • Jan 2011

i like nix, hes got good ideas and is moving the right way.

i agree that we were smart to not take a qb at 3 THIS year. we got the best player on the board at that point.

nix says that he doesnt think we will be picking this high again for a wile. if thats the case then we wont be in position to get the qb we want next year either. and you guys will be saying the same thing "dont reach"

so that leaves us one option. F.A...... right?

with that said.....

who?
        a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• Beebe's Kid
          • Nov 2009

I am having trouble seeing how Nix saying that they considered a QB, but felt the Bills had bigger areas of need is evidence the team doesn't like Fitz.

We thought about a QB in the first...but didn't. We thought about it in the 2nd...but didn't... Oh, I get it now.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

:

Comment

• mysticsoto
              Too sober for this...
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Novacane
              If he knows what he wants, let him go after it. It's not like we have great players on our roster now. We had 9 picks in this year's draft. We don't need 20 picks. We need the right players that will work for the system and he got some players that he coached and got to know. I think he is happy and I think we should be too.

Comment

• cgbm
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                If he knows what he wants, let him go after it. It's not like we have great players on our roster now. We had 9 picks in this year's draft. We don't need 20 picks. We need the right players that will work for the system and he got some players that he coached and got to know. I think he is happy and I think we should be too.
                your right.
                a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• TrEd FTW
                  • Sep 2008

This isn't anything new. No one with a brain thinks Fitz is anything more than a stopgap.

Comment

• DrGraves
                    • Mar 2008

i dont think anyone thinks he is the long term answer? what was he going to say no we didnt consider a QB at all?

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      Sab and TD are insignificant
                      • Sep 2002

I would like to see what fitz can do with a D that can get off the field though and against a D that is tired across from him.
                      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• PTI
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2011

I hate giving a season away. Especially since it has been so long since the Bills have had some success. Basically they said the Bills will suck on offense, but that's OK.

Comment

• tcb5033
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by PTI
                          I hate giving a season away. Especially since it has been so long since the Bills have had some success. Basically they said the Bills will suck on offense, but that's OK.
                          Hey, you win some you lose some. Unless you're the Bills in which case you perennially lose most and eek out a couple wins.

In reality, our solution to QB was not in this draft so we bulked up where we needed to most help - and that's it. We're not winning the superbowl next season but we are building a foundation to get there later IMO.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Jul 2007

Amish Rifle + Fred Jackson + CJ Spiller + Lee Evans + Stevie Johnson + Roscoe Parrish + Nelson + ... meh, I think he has plenty of options to lead this offense in the right direction.
                            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

I am beginning to wonder if certain people on this board feel that if this team drafted a quarterback this team is going to the Super Bowl. Now that they didn't draft a quarterback, Fitz is going to be the quarterback for the next 10 years and they are doomed.

Comment

Working...
                              X