• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Locker and Ponder

Check out my article, then weigh on on what side you are on.

Locker and Ponder
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Re: Locker and Ponder

When it comes to drafting quarterbacks there are obviously more factors that go into the decision than for drafting other positions. Because your starting QB handles the ball on virtually ever offensive snap (the "Wildcat" not withstanding) NFL teams feel like they have to have one that is reasonably reliable, and if you have a great one he can elevate the play of the whole team. Consequently, if a team doesn't have one, they are going to go to considerable length to try and get one, and there aren't enough to go around.

When drafting a QB, it's all about risk and reward balanced agains need. Both Ponder and Locker have some upside, but they also carry risks. You think maybe you can fix Locker's accuracy issues, but you can't really tell for sure until you try. Chan Gailey thought he could fix Trent Edwards' deep pass phobia and paralysis for fear of making the wrong decision. He couldn't. It cost him a few wins last season perhaps. Moreover, it may have cost him an opportunity in the 2010 draft to address the QB position in a more meaningful way (than drafting Levi Brown). Ponder is perhaps less of a risk than Locker, but he's also got a more ordinary arm and athleticism. And he's not risk free. Minnesota can't be certain that his shoulder won't give him some trouble down the road, and there will be occasional whispers of "injury prone" until he proves otherwise.

As your article points out, both Tennessee and Minnesota were pretty desperate for a serviceable starting QB. They had nothing in the cupboard.

When you look at drafting a QB, you want to weigh risk and reward, but a team's level of need will change the weighting. Had Tennesse and Minnesota not felt the level of desperation they did, I doubt they would have picked Locker and Ponder where they did. Are they right, or are they wrong? Well, they have someone to stick under center this season, and they didn't a few weeks ago. Long term, their decisions will be measured by the success or lack thereof these guys have. It's easy for arm chair QBs and media pundits to pass judgment before we really know everything. It's a lot tougher on a GM, but that's why they pay these guys the big bbucks.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      • May 2009

both very bad reaches.....

Comment

• Ingtar33
        Dances With Buffaloes
        • Sep 2002

locker was a 3rd rounder at best last year... he never would have gone number 1... especially after Bradford came back in such tremendous shape.

I still want to know where the locker hype comes from... the kid just is a slightly less accurate and slightly faster version of JP Losman. Hell, Losman had a better college career (by far) then Locker did, playing for a far worst team.

Both were horrendous picks in round 1... though Ponder probably has the better chance of transitioning to the pro game than Locker.
        Last edited by Ingtar33; 05-06-2011, 01:05 AM.
        My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• T-Long
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33
          locker was a 3rd rounder at best last year.
          I respect your opinion, but there is no way that Locker was a 3rd rounder last year. He had a much better Junior season than he did in his Senior campaign, but yet he went 8th overall in this draft. If Sam Bradford was in this draft, Locker STILL would have went in the first round. You may believe he is a 3rd round "talent", but he still would have gone in round 1...there is no doubt about that.

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
            • Feb 2009

Reaches

Comment

• don137
              • Jul 2002

Taken at #8 and 12 overall they better pan out and should produce. However, since their are no guarantees and factoring in the success rate of QBs
              they are reaches.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                • Apr 2011

Can you post your article in this thread? The website you post on is blocked at my job. Thanks.

Comment

• tampabay25690
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                  locker was a 3rd rounder at best last year... he never would have gone number 1... especially after Bradford came back in such tremendous shape.

I still want to know where the locker hype comes from... the kid just is a slightly less accurate and slightly faster version of JP Losman. Hell, Losman had a better college career (by far) then Locker did, playing for a far worst team.

Both were horrendous picks in round 1... though Ponder probably has the better chance of transitioning to the pro game than Locker.
                  I disagree with you here..........
                  He was far from a 3rd draft pick Locker that is..
                  He would have gone in the 1st round and probably top 10.

Problem is to me Ponder came out of knowhere. He was a fair QB at best in College. Locker was a baller IMO.....
                  GO Gators!!!!!!
                  GO GATORS!!

Comment

• tampabay25690
                    • Feb 2004

So what I ask if Locker is a reach what about Blaine Gabbert???
                    GO Gators!!!!!!
                    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

i'm not sure they are reaches for the teams that wanted them. they probably weren't going to be around in the second round. if ponder wasn't taken there, he would have been a bill. i think we all think that.

locker, might not, but he probably would have gone to cinci.

so the teams that wanted them, probably would not have had a shot at them again without trading out.

Minny, i think got the better deal. ponder is ready for the pro game, and if he stays healthy from handing the ball off to AP, he could roethlisberger his way into the playoffs.

Locker is coming into a worse team that has a couple issue, including new coaching.

Comment

• CleveSteve
                        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by tampabay25690
                        I disagree with you here..........
                        He was far from a 3rd draft pick Locker that is..
                        He would have gone in the 1st round and probably top 10.

Problem is to me Ponder came out of knowhere. He was a fair QB at best in College. Locker was a baller IMO.....
                        Locker, Ponder, and Mallett were the three guys being talked about as first rounders going into last season.

Comment

• BuffaloBlitz83
                          We play to win the game!
                          • Oct 2009

Gabbert will have the best career of the class so he's no reach. A steal

Comment

• elltrain22
                            • Sep 2003

Both were big, big, big time reaches.
                            If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• T-Long
                              • Sep 2003

Great insight everybody...looks like the majority of you believe they were reaches. As the article says, I understand the reach sentiment, but I applaud both teams for rolling the dice and getting their guy. You can't kill them for trying, especially for how desperate they were to land a QB

Comment

Working...
                              X