PDA

View Full Version : Heads up: Bills to officially promote Whaley

BillsWin
05-06-2011, 02:11 PM
To assistant GM.

Ed
05-06-2011, 02:13 PM
aka Future GM once Nix decides to retire. Congrats to Whaley. I hope he starts bringing some of that Pittsburgh success to Buffalo.

mrbojanglezs
05-06-2011, 02:22 PM
he was already assistant GM only thing that changed was they dropped the pro from personnel so now he is director of all personnel pro and college

so basically before he was doing John Guy's job and helping Nix

now he is doing John Guy's and Tom Modrak's Job and also helping Nix

Luisito23
05-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I like Whaley.

tampabay25690
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Congrats to him

justasportsfan
05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article415502.ece

trapezeus
05-06-2011, 02:55 PM
i'd like to see him bring in a solid free agency team when the lockout ends. they don't have to be studly names. they just have to be good depth at places and maybe a starter here or there to allow rookies to learn up.

no more kawika mitchells.

Buddo
05-06-2011, 03:54 PM
While I don't think it's exactly unexpected, confirmation of his 'advancement' gradually, is a good thing. There's now even more obviously a decent guy in place, to take over whenever Nix decides to step down - which I hope is no time soon.

Michael82
05-06-2011, 04:12 PM
This is good news. The Bills got a young up and comer for the future in their administration, other than Russ Brandon. Buddy Nix has someone that he can groom to take over for him when he's ready to retire. :up:

Extremebillsfan247
05-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Whaley basically just got Modrak's work added to his current job. He will now be in charge of scouting the top prospects at the college level as well as scouting Bills opponents on the teams schedule. This dude just got himself a full plate. I just hope he can handle it all.

Night Train
05-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Stability is key and he obviously sees eye to eye with Nix & the scouts.

Buffalogic
05-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Good ****! We got kingpins from some actual winning franchises and we are doing what it takes to keep them here. Me likey.

Extremebillsfan247
05-06-2011, 05:37 PM
It's the Nix, Whaley, and Gailey Show coming this fall to Fox with your new host Gus Johnson. lol

baalworship
05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Excellent. We all know Ralph won't hire people he doesn't know so this gives Ralph time to be familiar with Whaley when Nix is ready to leave.

YardRat
05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Typical in-house promotion from a cheap owner...Whaley's been here a full season, so he no longer is the new guy on the block but rather part of the old guard. Same old, same old.

/Op

Yasgur's Farm
05-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Whaley climbing the ladder is a GREAT move... A move that should have been predicted a year ago when he was hired. Embrace it, it's how we got Polian.

Demon
05-06-2011, 11:39 PM
aka Future GM once Nix decides to retire. Congrats to Whaley. I hope he starts bringing some of that Pittsburgh success to Buffalo.

No doubt about this.

Whaley is known to be the one who landed Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and Troy Palamalu to Pittsburgh via the draft as he was high on those guys. One has to wonder what kind of role Whaley had in their scouting department and what kind of role he played in drafting Dennis Dixon in the 5th round. If Whaley was big on Dixon when they drafted him, i'd think he may be a favorite to join Buffalo, as he also fits the mold of a QB that Gailey would want.... good arm, accurate and mobile.

BertSquirtgum
05-07-2011, 12:06 AM
I like Whaley a lot. I think this franchise has finally turned the corner. I just hope the fans get to watch some football this year.

X-Era
05-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Not to be a downer but what has he done for us so far? Dwan Edwards? I mean moves like Cornell Green? I understand he may be hampered by Nix and our method for building the team but...

GreedoII
05-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Not to be a downer but what has he done for us so far? Dwan Edwards? I mean moves like Cornell Green? I understand he may be hampered by Nix and our method for building the team but...

who said he had anything to do with Cornel Green? Edwards is a decent pickup. Man this is a stupid post

Buddo
05-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Look at the in-season work he did, as regards picking up guys to compete on the O-Line.
Urbik, Rinehart, Pears, Wrotto.
Also managed to grab the odd additional LB when ours got crocked.
FWIW, Edwards was a great pick up, although tbh I'm not too sure how much involvement he might have had in that or the Green signings - he may not have had that much time on the job then.
Here's a question for you - when was the last time John Guy actually improved a position group, while a season was going on?
Do you seriously think that that is easy?
How many teams can you say have done something like that recently?
Whaley might prove to be worth his weight in gold, if he keeps up that sort of record.

psubills62
05-07-2011, 11:13 AM
who said he had anything to do with Cornel Green? Edwards is a decent pickup. Man this is a stupid post
He was in charge of the pro scouting last year - basically free agents.

PromoTheRobot
05-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Please provide a list of free agents pick ups that he should have signed. Jonathan Scott perhaps?

PTR

X-Era
05-07-2011, 12:02 PM
I love how everyone jumps to conclusions. I like that we promoted him, I like that we have him. I am only saying that right here on this team, it's not like he has done much outside of Edwards. If any of last years mid-season signings pan out like Pears or Urbik, I will be sold. I guess I just haven't seen enough to feel like it's a major change or that we should expect really any change in who we are able to land.

Good move, I just don't have a good sense for how much it matters.

Buddo
05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I love how everyone jumps to conclusions. I like that we promoted him, I like that we have him. I am only saying that right here on this team, it's not like he has done much outside of Edwards. If any of last years mid-season signings pan out like Pears or Urbik, I will be sold. I guess I just haven't seen enough to feel like it's a major change or that we should expect really any change in who we are able to land.

Good move, I just don't have a good sense for how much it matters.

Fair enough. I think what I outlined above, is a distinct point in his favour.
It isn't as though he only has been responsible for FAs either. He also does a lot of scouting work on upcoming opponents, which is something he also used to do for the Steelers.
I dread to think about the amount of tape he actually watches.
While it's easy to rip on the Green signing last year, it does have to be said that Butler retiring, put an undue emphasis on getting something done quickly. Whoever was responsible, didn't exactly cover themselves in glory with that one, but I'm prepared to put that down to circumstances, as much as anything else.
Over time, I think Whaley will become an important part of the puzzle that gets this whole thing turned around.

Demon
05-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Yeah, seriously. What did that guy expect? Him to come to Buffalo in a minimal role and start bringing in pro bowlers? It's gonna take YEARS to rebuild this team. YEARS of decent pickups, some misses, and some stars over the long period to lead up to a good team.

Extremebillsfan247
05-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Typical in-house promotion from a cheap owner...Whaley's been here a full season, so he no longer is the new guy on the block but rather part of the old guard. Same old, same old.

/OpI see it as Nix's genius at work. He knows Ralph will only hire in house. So you bring a guy in and put him to work for a year in a non critical to the organization position for a season until Ralph gains a comfort level with said employee, and Nix can elevate that employee's status over time. In this case, it's Whaley. He will eventually replace Nix as our GM. I think that is what Nix has in mind moving forward. He is attempting to build a stable foundation at the top of the organization. JMO