PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think about Paul Posluszny?

NOSaints213
05-07-2011, 12:13 PM
I heard that he has everything you want in a LB, but he is too soft (not aggressive enough) and injury prone.... Also, is he at a 1st round tender?

The main reason I ask is because of this:
http://whodatdish.com/2011/05/07/new-orleans-saints-quietly-eyeing-rfa-ilb-paul-posluszny/#more-10287

It's written by a guy who may or may not have insider sources, so I'm not going to say this is legit, but it definitely got me thinking...

Thief
05-07-2011, 12:22 PM
I heard the writer of that article has a small penis. That is all.

wmoz11
05-07-2011, 12:24 PM
"Injury-prone" gets thrown around a lot. He only missed 6 games the last 3 years. I'm going to try to stay away from this topic since I've been a giant Poz homer since his college years.

Just want to mention that in 2009, before the scheme change, he had 110 tackles, 3 ints, 1 sack, and 3 FFs. There were very, very few ILBs that caused that many turnovers and had that many tackles. And that was only in 12 games.

NOSaints213
05-07-2011, 12:29 PM
"Injury-prone" gets thrown around a lot. He only missed 6 games the last 3 years. I'm going to try to stay away from this topic since I've been a giant Poz homer since his college years.

Just want to mention that in 2009, before the scheme change, he had 110 tackles, 3 ints, 1 sack, and 3 FFs. There were very, very few ILBs that caused that many turnovers and had that many tackles. And that was only in 12 games.
Yeah, he's a pretty exciting player. He would play SAM for us in a 4-3 (if you guys were to let him go). And you are right... 6 missed games in 3 years isn't bad at all.

Question: What did you guys tender him at?

Ginger Vitis
05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
He is a above average linebacker but he is no where near the "franchise changing" Player that the author claims

tcb5033
05-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Poz is easily our best linebacker and we would be fools to let him get away. I'll admit that he needs to improve shedding the initial block, but he can recover and make plays as well as anyone.

Jeff1220
05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I hope he remains a Bill. Like many of the Bills player of the past decade, he hasn't turned out quite as well as most had hoped, but I think he would light it up with an improved D line - which I think is due to happen in 2012, with the addition of Dareus, the consistent motor of K.Williams, added experience of Carrington and Troup, and a healthy Dwan Edwards.

Mr. Pink
05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Slow, doesn't shed blocks well, can't cover backs out of the backfield, can't blitz, has shed the injury prone status he had earlier in his Bills career.

Sadly, he is the teams best linebacker.

ZacGriffi~82
05-07-2011, 02:10 PM
i concur with FTY, but think Moats is our best LB despite being extremely raw.

Buffalo Thriller
05-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Poz is one of my favorite players.

acehole
05-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Easy to confirm...ask sabs mom.

acehole
05-07-2011, 02:17 PM
What is the tender?

What round pick if another teams signs him?

I heard that he has everything you want in a LB, but he is too soft (not aggressive enough) and injury prone.... Also, is he at a 1st round tender?

http://whodatdish.com/2011/05/07/new-orleans-saints-quietly-eyeing-rfa-ilb-paul-posluszny/#more-10287

It's written by a guy who may or may not have insider sources, so I'm not going to say this is legit, but it definitely got me thinking...

NOSaints213
05-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Question:

I know you guys are still looking for a QB. Chase Daniel was a highly touted QB in college, but the knock is that he is short (reminds me a lot of Brees). Naturally, we grabbed him and have been letting him train behind Drew for the last few years. Would you guys consider a trade of Daniel + a 2nd round pick for Poz?

wmoz11
05-07-2011, 02:21 PM
The tender stuff only applies if we don't get a new CBA and we revert back to the 2010 league rules.

YardRat
05-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Poz is one of the better linebackers in this league, and is a great leader in the locker room, making him a perfect fit . He attacks ball carriers and is solid in pass coverage and deserves to have a chance to play for a contending team.

In comes the New Orleans Saints, who happento be in need of a high-character, play-making linebacker to play along side of pro bowler Jonathan Vilma. I’ll tell you this — every team needs a man of this caliber — he is a franchise-changing player.

The Saints have been looking for a play-maker at linebacker that has pass coverage skills. Posluszny has the ability to lock up with tight-ends and running backs out of the back field in coverage.

OMG...Whoever wrote that article really has no clue about the POS, and apparently has never even seen him play.

Granted, he could be a solid contributor when surrounded with better talent, but unless your LB corps absolutely sucks balls (and ours does, BTW) he will always be the weaker link in the front seven.

JCBills
05-07-2011, 07:11 PM

Actually only one other LB, and it was P. Willis.

Poz is legit, nuff sed.

Mr. Miyagi
05-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Question:

I know you guys are still looking for a QB. Chase Daniel was a highly touted QB in college, but the knock is that he is short (reminds me a lot of Brees). Naturally, we grabbed him and have been letting him train behind Drew for the last few years. Would you guys consider a trade of Daniel + a 2nd round pick for Poz?
:rofl:

Chase WHO??

Well, ok, if you throw in a bucket of chicken.

NOT.

I heart Poz.

Demon
05-07-2011, 07:37 PM

He's New Orleans version of Pat Moran.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
For anyone here that questions why I dislike internet hack sports writers, this is a prime example of the reason why. This entire thing is some bonehead that writes some trash and words it so it looks like it might be true, the rumors start, and then vuala, rumor. He claims that the Saints are eyeing Poz, yet in his article it is clear that it is his opinion. This is such a pile of poo.

Extremebillsfan247
05-07-2011, 08:55 PM

He wont ooh and ahh you with bone jarring hits or anything, but he gets the job done. I think though that he is better suited for the 4-3 than the 3-4. On a great defense he would be a good depth guy. On an average Defense he could easily compete for a starting role. This is all my opinion though.

bf1
05-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Poz is terrible. Slow. Stinks in coverage. If he does get to the ball, he usually is dragged 5 or so yards.

we are
05-08-2011, 12:26 AM
its funny when people have to make stuff up to discredit a player

"dragged 5 yards"....im sure

BertSquirtgum
05-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Poz is terrible. Slow. Stinks in coverage. If he does get to the ball, he usually is dragged 5 or so yards.

bumbling bf1 strikes again. another gem of a post.

bf1
05-08-2011, 06:47 AM
its funny when people have to make stuff up to discredit a player

"dragged 5 yards"....im sure

You are right. It's usually 7 or 8 yards.

we are??? Penn State fan? Thanks for the busts.

John Doe
05-08-2011, 07:51 AM

Statistically, he "does get to the ball" abut 10 times a game for tackles.

YardRat
05-08-2011, 08:57 AM
There's a reason why tackles aren't an official statistic for the league.

John Doe
05-08-2011, 10:10 AM
There's a reason why tackles aren't an official statistic for the league.

Maybe you should inform the NFL of that.

Their official records have Poz at #3 for the year - in only 14 games.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=TACKLES&season=2010&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

thesquirrelking
05-08-2011, 10:34 AM
For some reason he's made a habit of grabbing Maurice Jones-Drew's facemask and nearly decapitating him. I've seen this happen twice. So if you hate MJD, Poz is is your guy.

YardRat
05-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Maybe you should inform the NFL of that.

Their official records have Poz at #3 for the year - in only 14 games.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=TACKLES&season=2010&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/history/pdfs/Records/All_Time_Individual_Records.pdf

As of 2010...If you can find tackles anywhere in there, I'd be obliged if you would point it out.

John Doe
05-08-2011, 11:35 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/history/pdfs/Records/All_Time_Individual_Records.pdf

As of 2010...If you can find tackles anywhere in there, I'd be obliged if you would point it out.

Your link is to the Elias Sports site for all-time official records.

My link is to the official NFL site and their official statistics for 2010.

If you don't recognize the NFL as the official record keeper for 2010 NFL stats then I guess you win.

Night Train
05-08-2011, 11:41 AM
He is nowhere near the player that writer sells him as. A drag down tackler after the RB gets good yardage, just like Fletcher. Won't attack the hole.

I wouldn't care if he left. We need to get stronger against the run and this draft shows 2 candidates added there with good reason.

YardRat
05-08-2011, 11:57 AM

If you don't recognize the NFL as the official record keeper for 2010 NFL stats then I guess you win.

My link is directly from 'the official NFL site', ( http://www.nfl.com/history ) and the Elias Sports Bureau is the official statistician for the NFL.

Yes...I win.

John Doe
05-08-2011, 12:14 PM
My link is directly from 'the official NFL site', ( http://www.nfl.com/history ) and the Elias Sports Bureau is the official statistician for the NFL.

Yes...I win.

Why didn't you post this link in the first place? It appears that we are getting our stats from the same site.

Click the link that you have just provided.

Then click the link that says "Stats"

Then scroll down near the bottom of the page that is titled "Sortable Stats by League"

Locate the dropdown menu that is titled "View by Category"

Drop down to "Tackles" and click.

The default page that you will be led to is for post-season. Use the drop down menu to "Regular Season" and click the "go" buttton.

Now you know how access the Official 2010 NFL stats for Tackles.

YardRat
05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Why didn't you post this link in the first place? It appears that we are getting our stats from the same site.

Click the link that you have just provided.

Then click the link that says "Stats"

Then scroll down near the bottom of the page that is titled "Sortable Stats by League"

Locate the dropdown menu that is titled "View by Category"

Drop down to "Tackles" and click.

The default page that you will be led to is for post-season. Use the drop down menu to "Regular Season" and click the "go" buttton.

Now you know how access the Official 2010 NFL stats for Tackles.

I understand it's on the web site. If it were an 'official' stat, it would be in the record book...and it isn't. Just like sacks weren't an official stat until 1982.

Here's another link, via the NFL, for yearly statistical leaders...

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/history/pdfs/Records/Yearly_Stat_Leaders.pdf

Again...No tackles.

It's not an official stat, plain and simple.

stuckincincy
05-08-2011, 12:38 PM

IIRC, it is the teams that assign tackles to their players. They then hand them over and the NFL accepts them as fact.

So if a team wants to inflate them, they are free to do so.

EDIT: I've read here and there that SF is notorious for ginning up the numbers - Willis being an example. I do not personally know if tackles are an "official" NFL stat...

JCBills
05-08-2011, 01:05 PM

I love when people have no foundation to their argument. Yeah, having near the league's best AYAT (yds allowed when making a tackle) and creating turnovers means nothing.

trapezeus
05-08-2011, 01:49 PM
if NO wants him and wants to send us a first round pick....i'll take it.

to lose poz for no reason, i wont.

He's an average LB that we wish were elite. i would like poz paired up with a game changer. in fact, i think if dareus is eating two linemen a game poz's strength of blitzing and getting to the qb is better. and if we have a safety who can actually cover TE, we don't need to have poz do much in coverage.

bbut like i said, poz isn't non expendable. for a first round pick i'd do it in a heart beat.

Novacane
05-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I'd like to see us keep him but the writer of that article is a moron. Poz is not one of the best linebackers in the league.

stuckincincy
05-08-2011, 02:40 PM
if NO wants him and wants to send us a first round pick....i'll take it.

to lose poz for no reason, i wont.

He's an average LB that we wish were elite. i would like poz paired up with a game changer. in fact, i think if dareus is eating two linemen a game poz's strength of blitzing and getting to the qb is better. and if we have a safety who can actually cover TE, we don't need to have poz do much in coverage.

bbut like i said, poz isn't non expendable. for a first round pick i'd do it in a heart beat.

Any team that would give up a first round pick for a 2007 2nd round LB with pedestrian accomplishment doesn't have a heartbeat...they are already dead.

Philagape
05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Where are his metrics for Play-Action Bites and Overpursuits and Got Beat By A Tight End?

Mahdi
05-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Poz is just not tough enough IMO. He is also weak in coverage against RBs and TEs. What he is good at is being resilient and chasing down ball carriers.

He will rarely make a play behind the LoS though. IMO Poz is a better than average ILB that can and should be upgraded on a team that needs players who are tougher and stronger at the PoA.

trapezeus
05-09-2011, 08:32 AM
i think if you put poz in the middle with a stout line that dareus and k.williams may give you, you might have a fighting chance to see him blitz all day and force runs to the outside.

but like i said, if we are getting compensated highly for losing him, then lose him.

GreedoII
05-09-2011, 08:50 AM
What's with all the Poz homers? I mean he's average at best. You wouldn't miss him if he was gone. that's for sure.

bf1
05-09-2011, 09:13 AM
What's with all the Poz homers? I mean he's average at best. You wouldn't miss him if he was gone. that's for sure.

Agreed. I think I know why some like him.

He's a "blue collar" guy with a "high motor." I hope you "get what I mean."

CleveSteve
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM
I think you guys would do well to get a 2nd-rounder for Pozlusny now. Anything else would be gravy. He really is more of a 4-3 LBer IMO. With White at SILB and Sheppard at WILB, you guys should be set inside for starters. Pozlusny probably won't have as good of a year working out of a 3-4... he'll have a lot more blockers on him. I think his value will go down, he may not be a long-term starter for you, so I'd sell high.

CleveSteve
05-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Oooohhh..... that's racist.

Philagape
05-09-2011, 10:09 AM

Like Marcell Dareus :up:

Mr. Miyagi
05-09-2011, 10:11 AM
but like i said, if we are getting compensated highly for losing him, then lose him.
"Highly" does not mean Chase who-dat Daniels and a 2nd.

The Saints fan who started this thread is a total joker.

CleveSteve
05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Chase Daniel had much better numbers at Missouri than Blaine Gabbert, which is more of an indictment of Gabbert than it is justification for Daniel.

TBS, a 2nd rounder is not bad compensation for an ILB who may not be a scheme fit. There are very few ILBs drafted before the second round.

justasportsfan
05-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Poz is not a player who can take over and make players around him better. Whether he can play better with better players around him is another question that hasn't been answered yet.

He's been average at best but his character and work ethic is something I think the bills like and will be the reason he will be resigned here in buffalo like they did with Kelsay.