• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed
    Dude
    • Sep 2002

Kyle Williams: 3rd Best Player in NFL!

Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus believes that Kyle Williams was the 3rd best player in the NFL last season. He rated the top 101 players from last year and I guess it's gained a lot of scrutiny because he listed Tom Brady at #33. Here is a link to the article. I'm not sure how he came up with the rankings, but I guess he does have some kind of system.

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

I learned about this from Tim Graham's blog where he talks about it as it relates to the AFC East.

While I stepped away from the AFC East blog for a week, Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus released a series of articles in which he rated the 101 best players from last season.

Kyle Williams was the only Bill to make the list.
  • Extremebillsfan247
    • Sep 2008

Re: Kyle Williams: 3rd Best Player in NFL!

Originally posted by Ed
    Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus believes that Kyle Williams was the 3rd best player in the NFL last season. He rated the top 101 players from last year and I guess it's gained a lot of scrutiny because he listed Tom Brady at #33. Here is a link to the article. I'm not sure how he came up with the rankings, but I guess he does have some kind of system.

The latest football news, analysis, and rankings from PFF. Featuring data-driven rankings and stats for NFL, fantasy football, and the NFL Draft.

I learned about this from Tim Graham's blog where he talks about it as it relates to the AFC East.

While I stepped away from the AFC East blog for a week, Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus released a series of articles in which he rated the 101 best players from last season.

Kyle Williams was the only Bill to make the list.
    I think Kyle Williams is a good football player who looked a lot bigger on a bad defense than he would have had he played for one of last years top defenses ala Pittsburgh, Chicago etc.

Comment

• CleveSteve
      • Apr 2011

I find it odd that Kyle Williams is the 3rd-best player in the NFL when he anchors the league's worst run defense by almost 250 yards. That's two-and-a-half games worse than the next-worse running team.

ESPN is the place for NFL stats! Find a list of the Offense Total team stat leaders for the 2023 NFL Regular Season.

Athyba Rubin had the most tackles by a DL (as the Browns' NT) in the NFL and he didn't even make the list.

Comment

• acehole
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
        I think Kyle Williams is a good football player who looked a lot bigger on a bad defense than he would have had he played for one of last years top defenses ala Pittsburgh, Chicago etc.

wELL YEA...BUT THE opposite is true...he looked good despite bad players around him and being double teamed is actually an endorsement to how good he is.
        Hated by the stupid..
        Loved by their moms.

Comment

• JCBills
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by CleveSteve
          I find it odd that Kyle Williams is the 3rd-best player in the NFL when he anchors the league's worst run defense by almost 250 yards. That's two-and-a-half games worse than the next-worse running team.

ESPN is the place for NFL stats! Find a list of the Offense Total team stat leaders for the 2023 NFL Regular Season.

Athyba Rubin had the most tackles by a DL (as the Browns' NT) in the NFL and he didn't even make the list.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...false/count/81
          Takes 11 to make the unit work. One player can still dominate every play and the collective group can suck.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Khaled Elsayed needs a pee test.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Ickybaluky
              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by CleveSteve
              No Darrelle Revis either.

I think this guy must be Kyle Williams agent or something. Or Justin Smith's, who is the best defensive player in the NFL according to this analysis.

I don't know how this guy can even do this sort of analysis without the All-22 film. He basically came up with his metrics doing TV scouting. The TV cameras follow the ball, so you can't judge most of the players on every play, which they claim to do. Let alone what schemes and responsibilities the players are executing. He might as well have done it by reading the play-by-play.

I guess he is getting his attention, though.
              Last edited by Ickybaluky; 05-09-2011, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                No Darrelle Revis either.

I think this guy must be Kyle Williams agent or something. Or Justin Smith's, who is the best defensive player in the NFL according to this analysis.

I don't know how this guy can even do this sort of analysis without the All-22 film. He basically came up with his metrics doing TV scouting. The TV cameras follow the ball, so you can't judge most of the players on every play, which they claim to do. Let alone what schemes and responsibilities the players are executing. He might as well have done it by reading the play-by-play.

I guess he is getting his attention, though.

I wouldn't call Justin Smith the best defensive player, either. But I watched him play for 7 seasons with CIN. He was a complete DE for them - pocket pressure, sacks, but was notable against the run - messing up OL blocking, bouncing out to seal the edge etc.

Durable, too - he's missed only 1 game and 4 starts over a now ten-year career. And those were in his 2001 rookie season.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DrGraves
                  • Mar 2008

i like kyle williams and im excited to see how he plays next to marcel but.... this guy is out of his ****ing mind

Comment

• Ingtar33
                    Dances With Buffaloes
                    • Sep 2002

that website listed kyle williams the best defensive player of last season from what i'm reading.

Apparently he had more "stops" (plays for 0 or no gain) and qb "disruptions" (pressure causing a sack/fumble/incomplete pass) than every other DL in the league last year... and apparently there were only a few linebackers with more of either then him. (at least according to that website)

So maybe they're on to something. I do remember him destroying some teams last year (the game against Pittsburgh might have been the greatest game i've seen a Dlineman play for this team since we had Ted Washington or Bruce Smith)... in the middle of the season he was simply unblockable no matter how the bills lined up defensively.
                    Last edited by Ingtar33; 05-10-2011, 08:22 AM.
                    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Ingtar33
                      that website listed kyle williams the best defensive player of last season from what i'm reading.

Apparently he had more "stops" (plays for 0 or no gain) and qb "disruptions" (pressure causing a sack/fumble/incomplete pass) than every other DL in the league last year... and apparently there were only a few linebackers with more of either then him. (at least according to that website)

So maybe they're on to something. I do remember him destroying some teams last year (the game against Pittsburgh might have been the greatest game i've seen a Dlineman play for this team since we had Ted Washington or Bruce Smith)... in the middle of the season he was si
                      mply unblockable no matter how the bills lined up defensively.
                      He needs a 4-3 look to be at his best as a 1 gap. Get the big DT next to him.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
                        Don’t hate…
                        • Jun 2003

No offense to any Islamic fundamentalists out there, but.. nevermind....

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

I'm liking the option of our "Jumbo" DL package this year... Dareus, Troup and Williams. Put 4 quick LBs behind those 3 and we should be in pretty good shape. Too bad they'll only probably be able to have enough gas for half our snaps (as a unit) next year. Better than nothing... put them in on 1st and 2nd and force the O to pick its poison.

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
                            • Dec 2002

All of this type of publicity just means Kyle Williams will no longer be in Buffalo in 1 to 2 years.

Comment

• Raptor
                              • Jan 2009

As much as I like Williams, he's no where near the 3rd best player in the league last year. For the most part im skeptical of PFF and there stat analysis

Comment

Working...
                              X