PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys view Bobby Orr?

The King
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
I was just curious as to what you guys thought of Bobby Orr. Up here he's widely viewed as the best to ever play mostly because of how much better he was than anyone else who played in his era. And typically I hear his name come up as the only one worthy of competition with Gretzky.

I was just curious as to how he's viewed in other areas of the country. How much homerism is involved.

I do think that "The Goal" is probably the most iconic photo in the NHL's history, but feel free to comment on that as well.

chernobylwraiths
05-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I was just curious as to what you guys thought of Bobby Orr. Up here he's widely viewed as the best to ever play mostly because of how much better he was than anyone else who played in his era. And typically I hear his name come up as the only one worthy of competition with Gretzky.

I was just curious as to how he's viewed in other areas of the country. How much homerism is involved.

I do think that "The Goal" is probably the most iconic photo in the NHL's history, but feel free to comment on that as well.

Pretty tough to say. Even as old as I am, I don't remember Orr too well. But, given the stats and such, yeah, he is definitely one of the greatest of all time. Mike Robitaille who has been helping with Sabres games for about 20 years says that Orr is the best ever. If he had the type of surgery that today's athletes had, he probably WOULD be considered the greatest. Guy played on two horrible knees. He was the ultimate gamer who would score, assist and fight if he had to. I wish he played for the Sabres.

THATHURMANATOR
05-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Gretsky is the greatest. No question about it.

G Wolly
05-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Gretsky is the greatest. No question about it.

Then you should spell his name right.

In terms of my hobby of collecting sports cards, Bobby Orr's signature is one of the most valuable to collect and I currently have about 4 or 5 of them.

Playing for Boston, I hate Boston. The Goal is as you said one of, if not the most recognizable sports photo and I appreciate history and past greats such as Mr. Orr and his contributions to the game.

However, it was a different game back then. Does it take away from his accomplishments? Of course not. But in the era of the way the game was played, he was the best. As well as Gretzky during the 80s, and Crosby today.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-11-2011, 05:26 AM
I have only seen him play in replays. Always love the old highlights of him. Someone game me a 1969 Bobby Orr all star jersey once, it is awesome:

It looks like this:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/spyboy1/TSG%20Blog/1969NHLAll-StarGamejersey.jpg

The King
05-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Then you should spell his name right.

In terms of my hobby of collecting sports cards, Bobby Orr's signature is one of the most valuable to collect and I currently have about 4 or 5 of them.

Playing for Boston, I hate Boston. The Goal is as you said one of, if not the most recognizable sports photo and I appreciate history and past greats such as Mr. Orr and his contributions to the game.

However, it was a different game back then. Does it take away from his accomplishments? Of course not. But in the era of the way the game was played, he was the best. As well as Gretzky during the 80s, and Crosby today.

That surprises me since he pretty much signs everything.

Agreed it was a different game back then, however his style of play is what ushered in the new era.

SabreEleven
05-11-2011, 07:51 AM
He wasn't a Buffalo Sabre so I really don't give a crap about him plus I never seen him play.

The King
05-11-2011, 07:52 AM
That's a unique outlook.

ddaryl
05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Bobby Orr was one of the best to ever play the game... No argument here....

trapezeus
05-11-2011, 03:10 PM
from the limited pics i've seen of him play, seems like he has a tough time staying on his skates. :-)

Jan Reimers
05-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I saw him play his entire career. Greatest defenseman ever.

G Wolly
05-11-2011, 10:55 PM
He wasn't a Buffalo Sabre so I really don't give a crap about him plus I never seen him play.

You live a very sheltered sports life and I feel sorry for you.

Dozerdog
05-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Bobby Orr and Gayle Sayers are the two best athletes ever who never got to fully show the world how dominant they could have been.

Both are HoFers who had amazing (but shortened) runs

SabreEleven
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Don't you lose sleep about me, I'll be just fine.

OpIv37
05-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm too young to have seen him play. He looked great in the highlights I've seen, and statistically he's one of the greatest ever.

But he played for Boston so he's a punk thug.

SabreEleven
05-12-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm too young to have seen him play. He looked great in the highlights I've seen, and statistically he's one of the greatest ever.

But he played for Boston so he's a punk thug.

G Wolly
05-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Your post doesn't have anything at all to do with the Sabres so I can't read it.

mightysimi
05-13-2011, 09:24 PM
+128 is pretty much all that needs to be said. Different era or not, that's ridiculous.

YardRat
05-13-2011, 09:37 PM
One of the best ever and most recognizable players from his era. He revolutionized what a defensemen could do offensively, but it would be kind of tough to toss his name above Gretzky or Howe. Personally, I hated playing against Lefleur more than Orr and Esposito.

chernobylwraiths
05-13-2011, 10:03 PM
One of the best ever and most recognizable players from his era. He revolutionized what a defensemen could do offensively, but it would be kind of tough to toss his name above Gretzky or Howe. Personally, I hated playing against Lefleur more than Orr and Esposito.

Lefleur had a few more teammates than Orr and Espo.

YardRat
05-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Lefleur had a few more teammates than Orr and Espo.

Maybe, but certainly not without debate. The Bruins had a pretty decent roster in the early '70's...