When we finally have free agency, what do we still need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

When we finally have free agency, what do we still need?

Here's my take:

OLB- The depth is pretty bad behind Moats and Merriman. Maybin hasn't done anything and Torbor is just a journeyman. Batten hasn't played an NFL down. Add a second tier vet and an undrafted.

QB- We know we need another 2 guys. My guess is that we get a backup to Fitz who could start in a pinch. Tyler Thigpen is someone like that. Probably will also add an undrafted here as well.

TE- This could be a spot that we bolster from free agency. I wouldn't be shocked to see a significant addition here. Owen Daniels, maybe Kevin Boss. I'd love Zach Miller, but that's not happening.

Others? Thoughts?

• tampabay25690
    • Feb 2004

Re: When we finally have free agency, what do we still need?

I think you are pretty much on target....
    GO Gators!!!!!!
    GO GATORS!!

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by X-Era
      Here's my take:

OLB- The depth is pretty bad behind Moats and Merriman. Maybin hasn't done anything and Torbor is just a journeyman. Batten hasn't played an NFL down. Add a second tier vet and an undrafted.

QB- We know we need another 2 guys. My guess is that we get a backup to Fitz who could start in a pinch. Tyler Thigpen is someone like that. Probably will also add an undrafted here as well.

TE- This could be a spot that we bolster from free agency. I wouldn't be shocked to see a significant addition here. Owen Daniels, maybe Kevin Boss. I'd love Zach Miller, but that's not happening.

Others? Thoughts?
      I am not sure they have a legit starting OLB. Their best OLB might be Kelsay as scary as that is.

They need a RT as well.
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

OT, OC, WR, QB, TE, NT, OLB

The only reason I dont say CB or FS/SS is because we took so many picks there you have to at least see what you got first.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• mayotm
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy

The only reason I dont say CB or FS/SS is because we took so many picks there you have to at least see what you got first.
          OC, WR and NT are not huge needs.

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

A right side of the OL if Wood moves to center, which he probably will.

Guard, tackle,

...and another 18 defensive backs. But then, we can always draft them in the top half of the draft.

Comment

• Stewie
              Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
              • Aug 2002

We need OLB, TE, QB, and OT
              Originally posted by Topdog
              Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              I love Weiner.
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              also cheese

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy

We have 3 potential NTs (KW, Dareus, Troup), we have 2 C (Wood and Hang) we have a stacked WR position (Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, Easley)

I doubt we go after anyone in those areas.

ILB we need more experience at and Poz is still unsigned. So that might be our top need along with backup QB.

OLB can use another body with experience. OT also.

Comment

• Prov401
                  President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                  • Aug 2008

Wth is an OC? Do you mean Center? I thought you meant we needed an offensive coordinator lol.

Comment

• Mahdi
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by cookie G
                    A right side of the OL if Wood moves to center, which he probably will.

Guard, tackle,

...and another 18 defensive backs. But then, we can always draft them in the top half of the draft.
                    Every team drafts DBs high every year because this is a passing league that now likes to use 3 and 4 WR sets. If you have only 2 good CBs then you will have mismatches every time they spread you out. DBs are a MUST every year.

Look at the Pats --> McCourty, Chung, Dowling, Merriweather, Butler all those guys drafted in the first 2 rounds the last 3 years.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
                      Here's my take:

Others? Thoughts?
                      This is probably a good list. Clearly the FO is putting all their eggs in one basket with hoping Merriman pans out - but I wouldn't mind getting good depth...

Per Rotoworld:

GM Buddy Nix insists that Shawne Merriman is the answer to the Bills' pass-rushing woes this year.

"I know he's the answer," said Nix. "If his Achilles is well, and he's ahead of where he should be. Listen, we can't go draft one or find one like him ... We've got an outside backer if he can get back to where he was." We don't share Nix's optimism on a player with just four sacks and 18-of-48 games played over the past three years.

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

What do we need? The same things we've needed for the last 10+ years.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• methos4ever
                          • Apr 2004

Sounds like TE may not be one of their critical need areas...

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

One position in particular has long been neglected, without a star player since the days of Pete Metzelaars. But the general manager quickly dismissed the notion that they should have drafted a tight end.

"I'll put this is as simple as I know how. There wasn't one there that we wanted."

Nix did admit that they liked Lance Kendricks, the tight end from Wisconsin, but not enough to select him as high as he went in the draft. He also pointed out that head coach Chan Gailey utilizes tight ends less than most in the league.
                          Given that article I'd think 2 QBs, at least one C/G that can rotate for the qbs in camp and compete as a floater, swing OT and an OLB like a Matt Roth or Travis LaBoy to be the strongside comp/backup for Kelsay.
                          Last edited by methos4ever; 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mayotm
                            OC, WR and NT are not huge needs.
                            I never said they were, but they are areas Id quickly look to improve on if the talent is there at the right price. We are defficient at all those positions, just because we aren't as deifcient as we are at others does not make them no longer areas that need improvement. I refuse to accept mediocrity.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mahdi
                              We have 3 potential NTs (KW, Dareus, Troup), we have 2 C (Wood and Hang) we have a stacked WR position (Evans, Johnson, Parrish, Nelson, Jones, Easley)

I doubt we go after anyone in those areas.

ILB we need more experience at and Poz is still unsigned. So that might be our top need along with backup QB.

OLB can use another body with experience. OT also.
                              Dareus is going to see little to no time at the NT in the 34, so Im not sure I buy we have 3 and even still we have 1 proven guy and 1 guy we pray can get better in Troup. No depth, could use a Vet to sure it up.

Wood and Hang both struggled last season more than there fair share, both are combo OG/OC's who really havent shown the ability to be dominant at either. Again adding a veteran C for stability could be a big help if yet again both struggle to handle the 34 NT's they'll see week after week.

The WR corp is unproven, inconsistent and has no #2. Its a much bigger need that people want to talk about, because they will cling to the idea that either Stevie Johnson hands will get better, or that Marcus Easley is the second coming despite never having played an NFL down, having only one good year of college ball, and coming off a major knee injury. Again if we can get a big target Vet, then we should jump on it.

Nothing wrong with competition folks.
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X