X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Some info behind the Modrak firing and Bills draft board

I talked about some of this on my show last night. So, for Demon who asked, and anyone else who didn't listen, here is some "newer" info that hadn't been reported about the situation.

I'm pissed at myself, by the way. I knew their might be a change with Modrak, because I got this info BEFORE the draft. But I didn't run with it because I wasn't totally sure of where it would lead. And as I've always said, I'd rather miss being the guy breaking a story than the guy who breaks one that doesn't actually happen.

I was NOT told that Modrak was going to be fired. So, if I had speculated that it was going to happen, it would have put me in a very dangerous spot. But, as it turned out, it would have been right. So, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Bottom line is, this is MORE info I got from the same sources regarding the situation. And now that we know what happened to Modrak, I know the rest of the info is very solid, too.

Here it is:

On Modrak:
    --His role had been diminished since the Nix/Gailey regime started. He was feeling very defeated the last year or so and feeling "like an outsider" mainly because he was being used more as an "information gatherer" and nothing more. He had basically no say in what direction the team would go in the draft -- unlike previous years where he had an influential voice, but not the final say. Modrak was feeling "defeated" and although I'm sure he didn't WANT to be fired, my personal feeling is that he was probably not shocked by it and may have even felt relieved by it in some ways. He can move on.

--Wanted the Bills to focus more on interior defensive help and help against the run from the edges, as opposed to focusing as much on DBs and/or front 7 guys who are more more pass rushers than run defenders. This didn't mean Nix and Co. didn't want these kinds of guys, it's just the statement of what Modrak wanted in the draft. But judging by the fact that 2 DBs were drafted within the first 4 picks (Williams and Searcy), it appears as though Nix definitely had a different plan.

--Modrak was hoping for and trying to get Wannstedt to buy into his thinking about all of this (above). He wasn't successful. Wanny didn't speak up to support these ideas. This doesn't mean he didn't agree. He may have, he may not have. But Wanny wasn't being as vocal as Modrak wanted him to be in this philosophy. The was the info is relayed to me I actually think Wanny may have agreed with Modrak, but just doesn't want to make waves his first year in the organization trying to work with a new regime. He probably just wants to sit back and do his job and coach who he has, even though he may have wanted to personally draft in the same direction as Modrak.

Bills draft board/draft thoughts:
    Obviously this info is late, but I'm just putting it out there to give some insight into how/what they were thinking leading up to the draft:

--Lots of differences in the organization regarding 2 things:
    1. Whether or not to draft a QB early (first 2 rounds). If Newton was there, he would have been seriously considered, but not a lock. If Dareus had not been there, Gabbert would have been seriously considered, but not a lock. There was a lot of thoughts that the gap between those guys, compared to the next 5-6 QBs on the list, was not that great. Collectively, most felt most of those QBs COULD be 8-10 year NFL starters, but there was no "sure thing" among any of them, which is where the difference comes in over whether or not to grab one early or pass altogether (which is obviously what they did).

2. Shawn Merriman's potential to return to form. Some feel he will be very good again, some feel he isn't going to contribute as much as hoped and will not regain form.

--Team felt as good about Von Miller's ability to play the run as they did about his pass rushing abilities. Had he been the pick, they were very confident in what he could do in both areas.

--Surprisingly to me, Nick Fairly was very well thought of by almost anyone with a say in the organization. They loved him. He was high on their overall board. BUT he was most likely never a real option to draft because they already have Kyle Williams. Someone in the organization loved him so much they even joked about still drafting him and moving him to ILB.

--Also very surprising to me, the team had a lot of internal discussion about moving back into the 1st round to grab an OT if certain OTs were there (not sure who those would be), or using #34 on an OT. Now that the draft is over, I'd like to know if they actually tried to make a deal to do this. Maybe they wanted Solder or Costanzo?! I'm not sure, but someone, or more than one OT, was very high on their board and their wish list. This should be a bit alarming to us as fans that they may have some serious concerns about the OT spot.

That's what I got. Hope it helps fill in some blanks. Certainly a lot to discuss here.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Re: Some info behind the Modrak firing and Bills draft board

Remember what I reported last year after Nix took over.

He went to every person in the organization (scouts, FO personnel, etc.) and basically told them to not concern themselves with "football decisions." That is his and Gailey's department now. He even told them they were welcome to, but didn't need to come to practice. Because watching practice really had nothing to do with most of their job functions.

From the beginning, this has clearly and decisively been the Buddy and Chan Show. And Nix is not afraid to let everyone know that. The Modrak firing and above info just underscores this.
    Click to listen:

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Comment

• psubills62
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2008

Thanks for the info, Sal.

I find this tidbit a little confusing, however:
      Originally posted by Coach Sal
      Wanted the Bills to focus more on interior defensive help and help against the run from the edges, as opposed to focusing as much on DBs and/or front 7 guys who are more more pass rushers than run defenders.
      How much input did Modrak have in previous years before Nix and Gailey? Because those opinions are pretty much the exact opposite of our M.O. the last 10 years or so.

And am I not mistaken...but it seems to me that we've actually followed that philosophy the last two drafts. From the scouting reports and everything, all (or at least, nearly all) of the front 7 guys that we've drafted seem to be stout against the run with upside against the pass (Dareus, Carrington, Troup, Batten, etc.).

Granted, I'm as sick of drafting DB's as anyone else. But the fact is that we need them this year. We've got Corner, McKelvin and McGee. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
      "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
      - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Ed
        Dude
        • Sep 2002

I'm not sure what Modrak would have done differently, but I feel they did a pretty good job of addressing the run defense using early picks on Dareus and Sheppard.

I bet they were high on OT Carimi since they brought him in for a visit and seems like a Nix guy that would be a good fit in Buffalo.

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
          • Dec 2002

Good info.

I actually prefer the Buddy and Chan Show option. When Good 'ol Marv rolled into town he adopted the draft by committee concept. A concept that appears to have failed miserably.

Live and die by the sword.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

Sal, our world is a better place with you in it.
            Don't feel bad about the missed scoop, you did the right thing.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

I talked about some of this on my show last night. So, for Demon who asked, and anyone else who didn't listen, here is some "newer" info that hadn't been reported about the situation.

I'm pissed at myself, by the way. I knew their might be a change with Modrak, because I got this info BEFORE the draft. But I didn't run with it because I wasn't totally sure of where it would lead. And as I've always said, I'd rather miss being the guy breaking a story than the guy who breaks one that doesn't actually happen.

I was NOT told that Modrak was going to be fired. So, if I had speculated that it was going to happen, it would have put me in a very dangerous spot. But, as it turned out, it would have been right. So, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Bottom line is, this is MORE info I got from the same sources regarding the situation. And now that we know what happened to Modrak, I know the rest of the info is very solid, too.

Here it is:

On Modrak:
              --His role had been diminished since the Nix/Gailey regime started. He was feeling very defeated the last year or so and feeling "like an outsider" mainly because he was being used more as an "information gatherer" and nothing more. He had basically no say in what direction the team would go in the draft -- unlike previous years where he had an influential voice, but not the final say. Modrak was feeling "defeated" and although I'm sure he didn't WANT to be fired, my personal feeling is that he was probably not shocked by it and may have even felt relieved by it in some ways. He can move on.

--Wanted the Bills to focus more on interior defensive help and help against the run from the edges, as opposed to focusing as much on DBs and/or front 7 guys who are more more pass rushers than run defenders. This didn't mean Nix and Co. didn't want these kinds of guys, it's just the statement of what Modrak wanted in the draft. But judging by the fact that 2 DBs were drafted within the first 4 picks (Williams and Searcy), it appears as though Nix definitely had a different plan.--Modrak was hoping for and trying to get Wannstedt to buy into his thinking about all of this (above). He wasn't successful. Wanny didn't speak up to support these ideas. This doesn't mean he didn't agree. He may have, he may not have. But Wanny wasn't being as vocal as Modrak wanted him to be in this philosophy. The was the info is relayed to me I actually think Wanny may have agreed with Modrak, but just doesn't want to make waves his first year in the organization trying to work with a new regime. He probably just wants to sit back and do his job and coach who he has, even though he may have wanted to personally draft in the same direction as Modrak.

Bills draft board/draft thoughts:
              Obviously this info is late, but I'm just putting it out there to give some insight into how/what they were thinking leading up to the draft:

--Lots of differences in the organization regarding 2 things:
              1. Whether or not to draft a QB early (first 2 rounds). If Newton was there, he would have been seriously considered, but not a lock. If Dareus had not been there, Gabbert would have been seriously considered, but not a lock. There was a lot of thoughts that the gap between those guys, compared to the next 5-6 QBs on the list, was not that great. Collectively, most felt most of those QBs COULD be 8-10 year NFL starters, but there was no "sure thing" among any of them, which is where the difference comes in over whether or not to grab one early or pass altogether (which is obviously what they did).

2. Shawn Merriman's potential to return to form. Some feel he will be very good again, some feel he isn't going to contribute as much as hoped and will not regain form.

--Team felt as good about Von Miller's ability to play the run as they did about his pass rushing abilities. Had he been the pick, they were very confident in what he could do in both areas.

--Surprisingly to me, Nick Fairly was very well thought of by almost anyone with a say in the organization. They loved him. He was high on their overall board. BUT he was most likely never a real option to draft because they already have Kyle Williams. Someone in the organization loved him so much they even joked about still drafting him and moving him to ILB.

--Also very surprising to me, the team had a lot of internal discussion about moving back into the 1st round to grab an OT if certain OTs were there (not sure who those would be), or using #34 on an OT. Now that the draft is over, I'd like to know if they actually tried to make a deal to do this. Maybe they wanted Solder or Costanzo?! I'm not sure, but someone, or more than one OT, was very high on their board and their wish list. This should be a bit alarming to us as fans that they may have some serious concerns about the OT spot.

That's what I got. Hope it helps fill in some blanks. Certainly a lot to discuss here.
              I find the bolded part to be very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Demon
                  • Mar 2003

Great stuff, thanks for posting!
                  Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• WeAreArthurMoates
                    • Feb 2009

Drafting more interior guys is interesting, especially with the draft last year. After we took Dareus, in my mind, we were set. I find it interesting also the Modrak wasn't looking at pass rushers in the front 7. Really wish one of those OT's fell to us, I do like the Harriston pick though.

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

I never really thought Modrak was the problem. The people above him were. The real problem with Modrak which I think may have rubbed Nix the wrong way was not the their philosophical differences but Modrak always seemed to be a part-timer, never really wanting to step up to the plate to help run the FO but still wanted his words to carry heavier weight.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Remember what I reported last year after Nix took over.

He went to every person in the organization (scouts, FO personnel, etc.) and basically told them to not concern themselves with "football decisions." That is his and Gailey's department now. He even told them they were welcome to, but didn't need to come to practice. Because watching practice really had nothing to do with most of their job functions.

From the beginning, this has clearly and decisively been the Buddy and Chan Show. And Nix is not afraid to let everyone know that. The Modrak firing and above info just underscores this.
                        If this is true what does Whaley do?

Comment

• cookie G
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ChristopherWalken
                          Good info.

I actually prefer the Buddy and Chan Show option. When Good 'ol Marv rolled into town he adopted the draft by committee concept. A concept that appears to have failed miserably.

Live and die by the sword.
                          Well, it helps in the accountability department.

Comment

• Coach Sal
                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by EDS
                            If this is true what does Whaley do?
                            Well. I'm assuming Nix brought him in to be one of his guys and be a part of those decisions. Nix told everyone this stuff last year, when he was trying to get the organization on (his) track and change the way things were being done.

He probably feels comfortable enough now to bring a guy into the "football decision circle" who understands his role and can help.
                            Click to listen:

Comment

• EDS
                              • Jan 2003

Well. I'm assuming Nix brought him in to be one of his guys and be a part of those decisions. Nix told everyone this stuff last year, when he was trying to get the organization on (his) track and change the way things were being done.

He probably feels comfortable enough now to bring a guy into the "football decision circle" who understands his role and can help.
                              How come they only scout/draft players from the south?

Comment

Working...
                              X