PDA

View Full Version : Tom Gibbons Director of Pro Personnel

zone
05-11-2011, 03:07 PM
and Chuck Cook Director of College Scouting. per vtext

trapezeus
05-11-2011, 03:13 PM
hmmm. i know nothing of these guys? is this good news , bad news or nothing to blink an eye at?

methos4ever
05-11-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=3458848&postcount=26

Don't forget Buddy may poach now-Charger, formerly ex-Bill scouts who have been ingrained in the scouting style he wants here:

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/m...d-ee45b804ac79

Quote:
Mike Biehl was promoted to assistant director of college scouting in April 2008 after serving as a college scout from ’01. He scouts the Midwest region of the country and handles other key player assignments. Biehl spent the 1998-00 seasons working in the personnel department for the Buffalo Bills.

Biehl was born in Champaign, Illinois. He attended Paxton (Ill.) HS, where he played baseball and basketball, and he graduated from Illinois State University with a bachelor’s degree in finance and a master’s in sports management.

Mike and wife, Kim, have a son, Nathan, and a daughter, Kendall, and they make their home in Tolono, Illinois.

http://www.chargers.com/team/staff/t...3-78f75c491ba5

Quote:
Gibbons evaluates college players in the Northeast region of the country. He was hired by the Buffalo Bills in 1992 as an administrative assistant in scouting and spent 12 years (1995-03) as a college and pro scout. Prior, he spent 1990-91 as a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh.

Gibbons is a graduate of Indiana (Pa.) University where was a four-year letterwinner as both a linebacker and tight end. In 1989, he joined the Indians’ staff as tight ends coach.

Gibbons was born in Dunkirk, N.Y. He and his wife, Kristin, have two sons, E.J. and Thomas, and reside in Hamburg, N.Y.

methos4ever
05-11-2011, 03:17 PM
hmmm. i know nothing of these guys? is this good news , bad news or nothing to blink an eye at?
I posted about one of em before Whaley's promotion - ex-Bills scouts who left in the migration West. Good stuff.

DraftBoy
05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Sad...

Jan Reimers
05-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Could they be any worse than Modrak and Guy (who was fired when Whaley came in)?

Nix-Gailey-Whaley-Gibbons-Cook sounds a lot better to me than Brandon-Jauron-Modrak-Guy, who were our top football people just a few years ago.

methos4ever
05-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Sad...
These are exec positions DB. You can still get a job as an area/regional scout! :rockout:

methos4ever
05-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Chuck Cook is entering his second season as a member of the Dolphins’ scouting staff after spending the past 12 seasons as the Director of College Scouting for the Kansas City Chiefs. The 2009 season will mark the 26th season Cook has spent elevating talent at the NFL level. He is responsible for scouting the Southwest in the Dolphins’ system.

While in Kansas City, Cook was most recently in charge of coordinating the Chiefs’ college scouting and preparation for the annual NFL Draft after being promoted to the position in May of 1997. Prior to his elevation, he spent 13 years as a regional scout for the Chiefs focusing primarily on the Southeast region of the United States. Cook joined the NFL ranks in 1984 when he was originally hired by Kansas City after serving as an offensive assistant with the USFL’s Arizona Wranglers (1982-83). He began his coaching career at the University of Wyoming during the 1980-81 seasons.

Cook starred as a wide receiver, running back and defensive back at Southern Miss and was inducted into the school’s Hall of Fame in 1993. Following his collegiate career, he was a member of training camps with the New York Giants and New York Jets prior to embarking on his off-field career. Cook followed the path of his father, Hamp, who served as a scout for the New Orleans Saints for many years.

A native of Andalusia, Alabama, Cook earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Southern Mississippi. He and his wife, Carla, have twin daughters, Carley and Cori, and a son Colby.

Seems like Buddy's boys are getting re-united in Buffalo...

Michael82
05-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I like that Buddy Nix is bringing some old boys back to Buffalo. He needs guys that he feels comfortable with.

BertSquirtgum
05-11-2011, 04:23 PM
i don't care about any of this bull****. i want to hear about the lock out ending and teams getting ready for some mother ****ing football.

EDS
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
The Bills front office is like a pension plan for Buddy's fishing buddies.

Bangarang
05-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Has anybody called Ralph cheap yet? If not.......Ralph is cheap.

DraftBoy
05-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Alright Gibbons time to fire your southeast area scout!

ferg2butler
05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
I posted about one of em before Whaley's promotion - ex-Bills scouts who left in the migration West. Good stuff.

I remember , great call. I wonder if he tried to get Biehl too

Extremebillsfan247
05-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Interesting, Bills are just gutting out their scouting department. They just let 2 more guys go, Regional scout Rashaan Curry and college scouting administrator Michael LaFlamme according to Tim Graham of ESPN.

methos4ever
05-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Interesting, Bills are just gutting out their scouting department. They just let 2 more guys go, Regional scout Rashaan Curry and college scouting administrator Michael LaFlamme according to Tim Graham of ESPN.
And at the Press Conference, Buddy said they'd look to fill one scout position - so, again, DB, get that resume out there!

Extremebillsfan247
05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
And at the Press Conference, Buddy said they'd look to fill one scout position - so, again, DB, get that resume out there!
Yeah, I have to say I like what Nix is doing. Instead of sitting around, and waiting for the lockout to go away, he is using this time to retool, and fine tune his staff. That's brilliant in my opinion.

theanswer74
05-11-2011, 07:13 PM
Bill Polian Hired Gibbons back in 1992. He is from Western New York. he comes from a winning organization.

I like it.

bigbub2352
05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
im just glad they got fresh eyes in here...cant do worse than what was here

TigerJ
05-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Alright Gibbons time to fire your southeast area scout!Gibbons is director of pro personnel, not college.

Cook's area of expertise is a good fit for Nix and the Bills. He's spent a lot of time in the southeast scouting the SEC.

ferg2butler
05-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Hmm Curry worked in the West I think because he talked about Kaep. Fits with no picks coming from there.

T-Long
05-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Boy, I tell ya. First Tom Donahue (IUP grad) and then Tom Modrak (IUP Grad) and NOW Tom Gibbons (IUP grad). My alum is really represented in this organization!

paladin warrior
05-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Has anybody called Ralph cheap yet? If not.......Ralph is cheap. YES!!! He's so cheap.

Bangarang
05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Is Chuck Cook known for scouting/drafting any good talent from his days at Kansas City?

Demon
05-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Is Chuck Cook known for scouting/drafting any good talent from his days at Kansas City?

Doubtful.

Night Train
05-12-2011, 04:56 AM
and Chuck Cook Director of College Scouting. per vtext
I'm getting his jersey.

dasaybz
05-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Does anybody else get the feeling that we actually have good football people here that know what they are doing? I don't know who any of these guys are, but just the fact that Buddy is actually re-tooling, and changing all this up has to be good. I haven't heard of changes like these in a long time.

DesertFox24
05-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Does anybody else get the feeling that we actually have good football people here that know what they are doing? I don't know who any of these guys are, but just the fact that Buddy is actually re-tooling, and changing all this up has to be good. I haven't heard of changes like these in a long time.

I like the fact that most of these guys played college football.

As an ex college basketball player, I can watch high school and college basketball and get a sense of who can play at the next level and who can't.

Granted basketball is much easier to scout in my opinion than football, but still I am untrained in terms of college coaching and scouting and still do well in determining if a high school kid can play and what level.

Hopefully this will help us in the future as these guys played the game and know what to look for.

However, I think the thing that is going to help us the most is that we are drafting safe players and players with multiply years of productivity not just one.