• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Aaron Williams on Moving the Chains

Kirwin and Ryan had him on today at about 5:30. I was really impressed... kid has a swagger and an intellect. Asked about how he'd defend Welker and Marshall and answered really well. Sees himself as a corner. Watches tons of tape... said he stays up late watching youtube clips of guys in the pros. Sleeps til 10 though... that'll change. Kirwin loved him and couldn't stop with the accolades, even after he was off the phone.
  • Saratoga Slim
    • Jul 2005

Re: Aaron Williams on Moving the Chains

Originally posted by Don't Panic
    Kirwin and Ryan had him on today at about 5:30. I was really impressed... kid has a swagger and an intellect. Asked about how he'd defend Welker and Marshall and answered really well. Sees himself as a corner. Watches tons of tape... said he stays up late watching youtube clips of guys in the pros. Sleeps til 10 though... that'll change. Kirwin loved him and couldn't stop with the accolades, even after he was off the phone.
    What I didn't like was that he said he's only been in touch with CJ Spiller and David Nelson, who he met through twitter. Says that no vet has reached out to him to talk about the system or what he can do to get up to speed. Moreover, he has also made no real effort to do so himself. Pat strongly encouraged him to do whatever he can to get some phone numbers and start calling them.

Disappointing, when you see teams like the Saints working out as a group. While I suppose it's not that surprising that the CBs aren't going out of their way to give a head start to the guy who's going to be fighting for their jobs, seems like someone on defense should be taking a leadership role and at least giving him a welcome call.
    Last edited by Saratoga Slim; 05-12-2011, 08:18 PM.
    Wake up, brush your teeth, and get ready for a day of hating the Dolphins. Or the Pats? How to choose?

Comment

• seanbillsfan
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim
      What I didn't like was that he said he's only been in touch with CJ Spiller and David Nelson, who he met through twitter. Says that no vet has reached out to him to talk about the system or what he can do to get up to speed. Moreover, he has also made no real effort to do so himself. Pat strongly encouraged him to do whatever he can to get some phone numbers and start calling them.

Disappointing, when you see teams like the Saints working out as a group. While I suppose it's not that surprising that the CBs aren't going out of their way to give a head start to the guy who's going to be fighting for their jobs, seems like someone on defense should be taking a leadership role and at least giving him a welcome call.
      I agree but I think it's a little different for the vets who have contracts. The rookies can't even negotiate a contract right now and their agents are prob telling them to not do anything to get hurt and jeoperdize getting a contract

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

this is definately the most ****ed up draft situation because of this bull**** lockout.. its going to hurt a ton of people this year for sure.. especially on a young team like ours.
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Did he mention where he was working out?
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Stewie
            Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
            • Aug 2002

There used to be rules about these guys participating with the team until after their schools finals were over, right now I think this is overblown.

If we're still discussing this in July, then we've got problems.
            Originally posted by Topdog
            Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
            Originally posted by mercyrule
            I love Weiner.
            Originally posted by mercyrule
            also cheese

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Stewie
              There used to be rules about these guys participating with the team until after their schools finals were over, right now I think this is overblown.

If we're still discussing this in July, then we've got problems.
              Not entirely true. Every player I think gets to at least take part in a teams schedule rookie mini-camp, get their playbook, and go over some stuff with coaches before they go back to school. Then they are stuck till finals are over.

The issue I see is that in Atlanta you have stories running about how Matt Ryan is talking to Julio Jones every day going over terminology changes, what kind of routes he runs stuff like that. Ryan even got Julio out to Atlanta for some toss this week (Julio still cant run routes for now). That's what we need.

Where the hell are guys like KW, and Dwan Edwards calling Dareus? McGee/Byrd calling Williams/Rogers? Its just missed opportunities.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• wmoz11
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Not entirely true. Every player I think gets to at least take part in a teams schedule rookie mini-camp, get their playbook, and go over some stuff with coaches before they go back to school. Then they are stuck till finals are over.

The issue I see is that in Atlanta you have stories running about how Matt Ryan is talking to Julio Jones every day going over terminology changes, what kind of routes he runs stuff like that. Ryan even got Julio out to Atlanta for some toss this week (Julio still cant run routes for now). That's what we need.

Where the hell are guys like KW, and Dwan Edwards calling Dareus? McGee/Byrd calling Williams/Rogers? Its just missed opportunities.
                Julio Jones is not Matt Ryan's competition. That would be a weak excuse, but I can see players not going out of their way to help someone trying to take their job.

And besides - it's defense. "Hey, work on your back-pedal.. and, uh... catching the ball. Oh, and you'll probably have to tackle someone at some point."

Our defense, in the secondary, is about as bland as it gets.

Comment

• Buddo
                  • Mar 2007

Other than being nice and welcoming, I'm not too sure what our guys can do to help most of our draft picks, as they were all pretty much on D.
                  One OT, and a RB. How much can they learn before our coaches get to grips with them?
                  On D, it's pretty much 'see man with football, hit him' (preferably backwards, and hard).
                  If we'd drafted a WR and/or TE, I can see some value in getting the QB to work with them, getting used to how the QB throws, some timing, and having your QB get familiar with the receivers body language, but aside from that, I'm not sure that much of great value can come of anything.
                  The only other thing I can see of value to the rooks, would be to have a playbook, and a guy they can talk to, to be sure they understand the terminology.
                  I think there's also a case to be made, for the Rooks to have minimal contact with the vets atm, because I believe they will be better served by being taught by the coaches on their fundamentals, than trying to get tips from the vets. Walk before you run.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Saratoga Slim

Yeah, that has me a bit concerned too. Some of our offensive guys have already gotten together to workout and probably will again once summer comes around. Not one word of our defense doing anything even remotely like that anywhere. If there were any group on this team that needs some extra time together, its our defense. But, that's my opinion.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      Sab and TD are insignificant
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Don't Panic
                      I thanked you for your signature as much as your post.
                      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Don't Panic
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                        Did he mention where he was working out?
                        If he did I didn't catch it. I entered the interview a couple minutes in though.

Comment

Working...
                        X