PDA

View Full Version : is troup moving to DE?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-13-2011, 03:59 PM
can anyone confirm?

dareus
williams
edwards

troup
jasper
carrington / johnson

NOT THE DUDE...
05-13-2011, 04:06 PM
“Troup played a lot (last year), Carrington played late in year and got better every time he played. Troup he’s big enough to play in there, anchor the 3-4 and at defensive end.” - nix

tampabay25690
05-13-2011, 04:09 PM
can anyone confirm?

dareus
williams
edwards

troup
jasper
carrington / johnson

How can anyone confirm anything???
We don't even know what defense we will run...
Im sure it's a 3-4 4-3 hybrid type...
We need to practice 1st before we know anything.........

acehole
05-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I would like to see....

Williams DE Troup NT Darius DE

That is a whole lot of run stopping and bull pass rush...

Williams need to lose a few lbs to be more effective as a pass rusher....but that would be sick..

How can anyone confirm anything???
We don't even know what defense we will run...
Im sure it's a 3-4 4-3 hybrid type...
We need to practice 1st before we know anything.........

Extremebillsfan247
05-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Personally, I think Dareus would be a much more effective DE than Troup would be. Troup will undoubtedly be forced into a depth position. He may also end up playing in specified defensive packages and wont be a 3 down player. A lot of people don't want to say it, but the drafting of Dareus with Kyle Williams already penciled in as a starter, just made Troup's job of finding a starting role on this defense a lot harder. JMO

BuffaloBlitz83
05-13-2011, 06:02 PM
I wish we went back to a 4-3

YardRat
05-13-2011, 06:07 PM
I would really love to see Troup flourish at NT and Jasper be capable of spelling him for a few series per game.

Dareus/Williams/Edwards/Carrington book-ending Troup/Jasper would be sweet.

split71
05-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Don't worry, we'll be playing plenty of 4-3 defense...

Buddo
05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Troup will not be 'switched' to being a DE.
They may well see how he can adapt to the position, as it will give them further options in what they are trying to do, on specific downs and distances, but he will largely still be a Nose, imho.
If he progresses, I can see him as the NT on all obvious running situations, with Williams in on obvious passing ones, and either one or the other, when there are options.
Again, if Troup progresses, I can also see situations where either he or Williams, actually plays the majority of a game, with just the odd 'spell' taking place. This would be on a 'horses for courses' basis, where whoever the interior O-Line we are up against, has more trouble dealing with one than the other. Basically, get a favourable match up, and exploit it. Some O-Lines will deal better with Troup's power, than Williams quickness, and vice-versa.

TigerJ
05-13-2011, 09:34 PM
I don't see Troup as a DE. I think he is more of a classic "tie up blockers" two gap nose tackle, where Williams is a disruptive one gap type player. I think Troup and Jasper would be more similar in their role, though I'm skeptical about Jasper being ready to step in and play in the NFL next fall. I think Buddo is pretty close to hitting the nail on the head as far as the roles Troup and Williams will fill.

Extremebillsfan247
05-14-2011, 08:30 AM
I would really love to see Troup flourish at NT and Jasper be capable of spelling him for a few series per game.

Dareus/Williams/Edwards/Carrington book-ending Troup/Jasper would be sweet.
I think Jasper will eventually end up as an offensive lineman.

DraftBoy
05-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Why would you want that?

We have little to no 4-3 DE's, all of our starting 34 DL would be 43 DT and could not see the field at the same time. Makes no sense.

Plus our LB corp which is horrible is even further exposed in a 43 scheme.

riddell51
05-15-2011, 12:48 PM
can anyone confirm?

dareus
williams
edwards

troup
jasper
carrington / johnson
LOL LOL LOL.... confirm... HAHAH!!!! oh man thats funny.... confirm HA!

DesertFox24
05-16-2011, 07:20 AM
Why would you want that?

We have little to no 4-3 DE's, all of our starting 34 DL would be 43 DT and could not see the field at the same time. Makes no sense.

Plus our LB corp which is horrible is even further exposed in a 43 scheme.

I think our LB corps is going to be better than last year. I like the potential of Sheppard to start or be very good depth. I think White is probably better than Ayodel at this point in their careers so that is a step up.

However, as a whole the front 7 still needs to get better and play more to learn this 34 thing.

DraftBoy
05-16-2011, 07:22 AM
I think our LB corps is going to be better than last year. I like the potential of Sheppard to start or be very good depth. I think White is probably better than Ayodel at this point in their careers so that is a step up.

However, as a whole the front 7 still needs to get better and play more to learn this 34 thing.

Neither Sheppard or White should be the MLB in the 43 though, they lack ideal range (White more than Sheppard). Against speedy backs who can turn the corner, we could be in very big trouble if we show alot of 43 looks. Especially since we've shown we have zero ability to have our OLB's get off blocks.

mysticsoto
05-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Don't worry, we'll be playing plenty of 4-3 defense...

I'm not convinced of this. When Nix was asked about why he didn't take Bowers, he basically said that Bowers was a great DE that didn't fit the scheme he wants here. Bowers is a 4-3 DE.

We had a hybrid defense last yr b'cse of all the holes we had, but I think they will move to a more pure 3-4 def now. Especially if Merriman works out. Hopefully Kyle and Kelsay can handle the switch to purely one style only.

DraftBoy
05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
I'm not convinced of this. When Nix was asked about why he didn't take Bowers, he basically said that Bowers was a great DE that didn't fit the scheme he wants here. Bowers is a 4-3 DE.

We had a hybrid defense last yr b'cse of all the holes we had, but I think they will move to a more pure 3-4 def now. Especially if Merriman works out. Hopefully Kyle and Kelsay can handle the switch to purely one style only.
Then why hire Wanny? He's a pure 43 coach. These are the kinds of things that drive me nuts about this team.

OpIv37
05-16-2011, 08:41 AM
I hope they don't move him.

This is part of this team's problem: they draft guys and immediately have them switch positions: DT to DE, ILB to OLB, S to CB or CB to S, etc. Or, like Troup, they have him play 1 year at a position then immediately move him. Or, with the coaching carousel, these guys get 1, maybe 2 years in a system then have to learn a whole new system.

There is no consistency and we're constantly starting over. Kyle Williams has been around long enough that he could probably make the transition. Troup was barely starting to get the hang of NFL NT at the end of last season. If we move him out, it's going to set back his development.

Mahdi
05-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Then why hire Wanny? He's a pure 43 coach. These are the kinds of things that drive me nuts about this team.
Because Wanny is here to coach the ILBs he's not here to coach up the scheme that is George's job.

Our ILBs were not good at all last year and that is what he is here to fix. They respect his ability to coach football which is why they brought him in.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-16-2011, 09:13 AM

dude its not that hard. either 2 gap the center, or 2 gap the tackle.... duh...:wtf:

DraftBoy
05-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Because Wanny is here to coach the ILBs he's not here to coach up the scheme that is George's job.

Our ILBs were not good at all last year and that is what he is here to fix. They respect his ability to coach football which is why they brought him in.

He's never coached ILB's in a 34 scheme though. That's not to say he can or can't do it, but the move makes me scratch my head.

I asked why we make the hire back when it came up and I was told because we are going to see more 43 next season, we are not hearing that. The move is making less sense, though I hope he will at least provide us some help as a Asst. HC.

DraftBoy
05-16-2011, 10:46 AM
dude its not that hard. either 2 gap the center, or 2 gap the tackle.... duh...:wtf:

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about right now.

Mahdi
05-16-2011, 12:00 PM
He's never coached ILB's in a 34 scheme though. That's not to say he can or can't do it, but the move makes me scratch my head.

I asked why we make the hire back when it came up and I was told because we are going to see more 43 next season, we are not hearing that. The move is making less sense, though I hope he will at least provide us some help as a Asst. HC.
He may not have direct experience coaching ILBs but I think they like him as a teacher and the Bills are serious about getting proper coaching at every position. They realize their ILB was weak and wanted to get a guy to work only with them in order to improve there.

Most 3-4 teams have an ILB coach and to me this is even more proof the Bills are more of a pure 3-4 team (or at least trying to be) than they lead you to believe. Its not that they are trying to lie, but they want to be vague so they don't commit fully to one system just yet and then fail and then go crawling back to 4-3. Saying they are multiple is more of a cover.