X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Wondering about Shawn Nelson

Yeah, his last season was quintessentially forgettable as it started with a four game suspension, continued with another extended bout with migraine headaches, and ended with a groin pull. I'm not entertaining high hopes that he can get untracked this season, but I wonder if anyone has heard anything about him. The migraines are the biggest thing that makes me doubt that he has a future with the Bills. Has anyone heard if he has found any kind of long term solution to the problem?

Yeah, I know with the lockout information about players is hard to come by since there supposed to be no communication between teams and their players. I just wondered. If he could get his act together, he could be a real offensive weapon.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: Wondering about Shawn Nelson

It would be awesome if he did manage to pan out, but I'm really not holding my breath.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      Legendary Zoner
      • May 2009

he sucks. time to move on.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Reportedly working out with Fitz. The Bills spoke volumes by not picking a TE in the Draft. He does have speed but needs to get his act together.

BTW- I don't mind having 6-7 272 lb. Scott Chandler on the roster. I remember him well from his days at Iowa. Great blocker and good hands. Reminds me a lot of Pete Metz. Was pleased that the Bills picked him up from Dallas.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Buddo
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Night Train
          Reportedly working out with Fitz. The Bills spoke volumes by not picking a TE in the Draft. He does have speed but needs to get his act together.

BTW- I don't mind having 6-7 272 lb. Scott Chandler on the roster. I remember him well from his days at Iowa. Great blocker and good hands. Reminds me a lot of Pete Metz. Was pleased that the Bills picked him up from Dallas.
          I think Chandler was an original 4th round pick by Nix when he was still with the Chargers. I believe the FO etc. actually do have some hopes for him, or at least they like him thus far.
          Nelson needs to get himself healthy, and fit. If he can do that, he'll have a chance still. Imho, he's got the best hands of anyone on the team, and looks absolutely natural when catching the football. I'm pleased to hear he's working out with Fitz.
          I really hope they can get to the bottom of the migraine problem, because he could still prove to be a highly valuable asset if they do.

Comment

• Raptor
            • Jan 2009

Migraines are such a tricky situation because they can come and go out of no where. I want him to work out but that is a tough thing to overcome especially in this sport.

That said I think its pretty clear Gailey doesn't really require nor want his TE to be a big part of the passing game and looks at the position more as a in line blocker and last resort safety valve.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

I imagine they'll add at least one if not two TE's once FA starts. Id imagine a guy like Shulyar Oordt would be high on their lists.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• BillyT92679
                • Jul 2002

from all I heard they love Chandler
                Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• dannyek71
                  Drink Responsibly
                  • Dec 2004

Didn't he get suspended last year for roids?
                  [

Comment

• Buddo
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by dannyek71
                    Didn't he get suspended last year for roids?
                    I don't think it was 'roids. I'm not sure it was explicitly released as to what it was for, but bearing in mind the migraine situation, it's very likely it was weed related. (weed can help with migraines).

Comment

• Goobylal
                      • Jan 2004

Yeah, I'm not expecting much out of Shawn Nelson (who I don't think was working out with Fitz: it was David Nelson IIRC). Ideally I'm hoping that when a new CBA is approved, the Bills go after one of the top TE's available in FA, like Zach Miller, Marcedes Lewis, Kevin Boss, or Owen Daniels, or maybe even swing a trade for Greg Olsen.

As for Chandler, how is he really as a blocker? You'd figure that if he was really good at it, any of the 3 teams he was previously with would have kept him. I never focused on him in games with the Bills, so I don't know the answer, but he joined the team mid-season so that might not really be a fair judgement.

Also, considering he was a decent receiver in college, it seems odd is that none of his previous teams used him much in that capacity. The only thing I can think is his teams (SD, NYG, Dallas) had great receiving TE's (Gates, Boss, Witten) and only wanted to use him as a blocker.

Hopefully he's a late bloomer.

Comment

Working...
                      X