X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Ralph Wilson to other owners/NFL: "I told you so!"

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson is telling other NFL owners "I told you so." He was one of only two NFL owners to vote against the last Collective Bargaining Agreement - the same one that the owners opted out of and are now locking players out because of. Wilson telling Gary Myers of the New York Daily News that he voted against the last agreement because the players' share of 59.6 percent was too much.

"We've had a tough time," Wilson told The News. "We've hung in there. Buffalo has lost population and it's a tough go. When I came in the league, it was the 14th largest city in the league. All the corporations moved out of Buffalo. We're doing alright. We will make it, but it's not easy."

The Bills' owner also said his goal owning the team hasn't been to get rich.

"I came into this game 50 years ago because I enjoyed the game of pro football. Not to make money," Wilson said. "In those days, everybody was hoping to break even. We lost money for a number of years. I am really not into the game to make money, but I would like to break even or make a little."
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Don't Panic
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Dec 2005

Re: Ralph Wilson to other owners/NFL: "I told you so!"

I can't fault any owner/league for not wanting to see their franchise at least break even. I can imagine that if anyone isn't, we are one of those teams. That's why I keep finding myself siding with the owners through this whole lockout. I wish the players would concede some of the overall $$$, find some creative incentives (pension, health care) and get this thing over with.

Comment

• Lone Stranger
      • Sep 2002

I'd like to know what Ralph's definition of "a little" money is. However, we'll never find out because the books are closed. Which by the way I agree with. They are not our business. However, it is my firm belief that Ralph makes more than "a little" money.

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Don't Panic
        I can't fault any owner/league for not wanting to see their franchise at least break even. I can imagine that if anyone isn't, we are one of those teams. That's why I keep finding myself siding with the owners through this whole lockout. I wish the players would concede some of the overall $$$, find some creative incentives (pension, health care) and get this thing over with.
        the problem IMO is many of the newer owners don't want to break even they want to see MUCH higher profits not just break even or make a little money.

and the owners have all the blame because they voted to 30-2 to give the players 60% of revenues...

What makes me laugh is I'm no business genius but even I know you don't hand over 60% of the revenues..

None the less if the owners are hurting like they say then they need to open those books... but because they voted 30-2 to give 60% of the revenues away during the last CBA and refuse to open the books it pretty much screams they have plenty of money, because unless you have plenty of money you don't vote overwhelmingly to give away 60%

I am siding with the players and the ONLY way I will even consider looking at it from the owners side is when they fully open the books for all to see.... For anyone to actually think the owners at this point have the right to keep those books close if they want a better deal is foolish... You just do not vote 30-2 to give away 60% of the revenues unless your making mucho denero. therefore if they are admitting to how bad they screwed up last CBA they need ot prove it, because 30-2 says something else entirely.

again we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now if it wasn't for that 30-2 vote during the last CBA IMO
        Last edited by ddaryl; 05-15-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• cgbm
          • Jan 2011

this whole thing is rediculous. both sides need to stop being greedy. and if the players wont give way then the owners need to give way.

you cant ask the players to give more away. tell me what you would say if your boss came to you at work and said. "yeah.... ummmm..... i need to cut your pay a bunch. its not that our business isnt thriving because it is.... its just because if i cut your pay i will have more money for me at the end of the day"

of course the players arent going to like that.

and everyone needs to remember that at the end of the day were watching the players and giving alll our money to see the playerss play. not the owners.

beyond who is right or wrong, both sides are making millions / billions of dollars a year. and are in the entertainment business to entertain us. and after this many years of providing that service they should be forced to provide uninterupted service to us every year..... we pay them every year. even durring the recessions and job losses and such, we find a way to go to the games and buy the gear. and they owe it to us to do the same. especially when none of them are hurting in the cash department.

they are serving middle class america and are complaining about their 8-9 figure paychecks.

someone pour some powder in my hand cuz im about to slap all of them
          a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

What a load of crap.

Remember when Wilson said basically "I don't care." when it was said the fans won't be renewing season tickets because they don't believe the Bills are in it to win.

Ralph Wilson didn't think the teams wouldn't make money if they paid 59.6%.... He thought HE wouldn't make as MUCH.

He's not in it for the love of football.. he's in this to make MONEY.

Comment

• Oldbillsfan
              shelby's big brother smilie smilie
              • Mar 2007

The point is the owners gave in a couple years ago and are now trying to get it back. Wilson was right back then and he is now.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by fmr60
                I'd like to know what Ralph's definition of "a little" money is. However, we'll never find out because the books are closed. Which by the way I agree with. They are not our business. However, it is my firm belief that Ralph makes more than "a little" money.
                No question he does, but when he started the AFL with Lamar Hunt & a few others, there was no guarantee he would ever break even. It was much more likely the AFL would go belly up than to merge with the NFL. The members of the "foolish club" the name that AFL owners gave themselves, were men that truly got into it because of the love of the game.

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
                  What a load of crap.

Remember when Wilson said basically "I don't care." when it was said the fans won't be renewing season tickets because they don't believe the Bills are in it to win.

Ralph Wilson didn't think the teams wouldn't make money if they paid 59.6%.... He thought HE wouldn't make as MUCH.

He would of moved the franchise long ago if money was the most important thing.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Canadian'eh!
                    What a load of crap.

no doubt he wants to make SOME but he's no Jerry Jones who's in it for no other reason but the money .
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• cgbm
                      • Jan 2011

i have news for everyone here.

just about all the people in this business as owners, are in it for the money.

this is nothing more than an investment to them.

otherwise they would just be fans watching on their couch just like us.

there is such thing as an owner buying a team because they love it. but those guys wouldnt complain if the players made more money.

these guys are SHARKS dont be fooled.
                      a decent qb can win a fluke super bowl. but a franchise qb makes a perennial powerhouse.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                        • Sep 2008

I've been a fan of this team for more than 30 years and it still puzzles me how much hate some fans of this team have for this guy.

Comment

• Don't Panic
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cgbm
                          i have news for everyone here.

just about all the people in this business as owners, are in it for the money.

this is nothing more than an investment to them.

otherwise they would just be fans watching on their couch just like us.

there is such thing as an owner buying a team because they love it. but those guys wouldnt complain if the players made more money.

these guys are SHARKS dont be fooled.
                          I don't think its that black and white. Sure, they put money above all else (hence the position we find ourselves in now), but I really think the majority of these guys are true fans of the game as well. You have to be... being a good/successful owner almost requires it. Its just that being a fan doesn't come close to eclipsing their desire to make money off the team.

Comment

• BidsJr
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Extremebillsfan247
                            I've been a fan of this team for more than 30 years and it still puzzles me how much hate some fans of this team have for this guy.

This.
                            "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• casdhf
                              • Jul 2002

ralph is cheap
                              Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                              cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

Working...
                              X