PDA

View Full Version : What's happening to civility

sdbillsfan2
05-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Is it just me ,or is there a new trend going around this board ? There seems be more malcontents , not with the team , but against each other. It's seems like when ever someone goes out of their way to add something to the forum . they either get flamed or criticized .
T-Long came on to see if anyone had any questions for an interview . He didn't have to do it. He is trying to get answers to OUR questions.
But instead he get's comment like "who cares" Crappy player !well I CARE!
The same thing happens toPat Moran . It's not right ! If you don't agree with them fine. But there is a line between posting an opinion. and attacking the effort .

We have more then a few who go out of there way to make this board the best. We have guys like Db, clump ,Mikey (to name a few) who put in the extra effort. ( I know I left out a bunch of people ) I don't agree with everything every body says. but that is what makes this board. Debate the issues, not the effort.
I'm sure it runs through these guys minds that they might get torched, but they still put in the extra effort. It's easy to throw out the cheap shots, but not many of us are willing to go the extra mile.
Without the Coach Sals, t-longs, patmorans, Db, clumps , and Michael82 this board would still be okay, but not the same. I come here first ,before I look anywhere else to get caught up on Bills news.
Do these guys always get it right ? NO..but neither does ESPN. The difference is
They aren't charging us ESPN insider fees.
Jokes are one thing (am sill laughing @ the Maybin dress joke ) but how bout we give the guys doing the work around here a little more credit ?
Not anyone (contrary to popular belief )can start a blog or web page. It takes more then the vast majority are willing to invest , and more talent then you think.

With the lock out ,things have come to a stand still . Let's not shoot the messengers .
OK , I've said my piece . don't like it ? too bad !
The one perk to being one of the older posters is, I don't need to impress anyone.

Philagape
05-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Everyone's a tough guy behind a keyboard

ddaryl
05-16-2011, 01:29 PM
the ignore feature works wonderfully... If people are chronic douche bags place them on ignore. if enough people do this maybe some will get the idea and change tactics.

but I know for a fact lots of people on this forum like it this way. They like the controversy and the callouts... not sure why but they celebrate it.

Figster
05-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Compared to BB.com and twobillsdrive, the zone is a much more civil place to post, but OP is right,
Lets show some restraint/ respect to our more high profile posters. :pirate2:

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-16-2011, 01:42 PM
heck its alot nicer around here then in the past but i sure do agree with you SD...
however you left my illustrious name out of your list of leading posters... I mean who can forget such memorable threads as "Is JP the real deal?" and "Is Trent Edwards the real deal?" and how about my finest moment: "Is Ryan Fitzpatrick the real Deal?"
good god man, get your act together!

LOL

Figster
05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
the ignore feature works wonderfully... If people are chronic douche bags place them on ignore. if enough people do this maybe some will get the idea and change tactics.

but I know for a fact lots of people on this forum like it this way. They like the controversy and the callouts... not sure why but they celebrate it.

Yup, kind of a mental punching bag of sorts, for some posters:box:

sdbillsfan2
05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
heck its alot nicer around here then in the past but i sure do agree with you SD...
however you left my illustrious name out of your list of leading posters... I mean who can forget such memorable threads as "Is JP the real deal?" and "Is Trent Edwards the real deal?" and how about my finest moment: "Is Ryan Fitzpatrick the real Deal?"
good god man, get your act together!

LOL

Sorry !!!! Whacha say ? I had you on ignore ! lol j/k

Seriously......there are many many great posters and a few no so great , but at least they're respectful .

HHURRICANE
05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
It's been a while since I have been here. I would only abuse the guy who suggested bringing JP back.

acehole
05-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Why don't you just shut the hell up?
:duel:

Is it just me ,or is there a new trend going around this board ? There seems be more malcontents , not with the team , but against each other. It's seems like when ever someone goes out of their way to add something to the forum . they either get flamed or criticized .
T-Long came on to see if anyone had any questions for an interview . He didn't have to do it. He is trying to get answers to OUR questions.
The same thing happens toPat Moran . It's not right ! If you don't agree with them fine. But there is a line between posting an opinion. and attacking the effort .

We have more then a few who go out of there way to make this board the best. We have guys like Db, clump ,Mikey (to name a few) who put in the extra effort. ( I know I left out a bunch of people ) I don't agree with everything every body says. but that is what makes this board. Debate the issues, not the effort.
I'm sure it runs through these guys minds that they might get torched, but they still put in the extra effort. It's easy to throw out the cheap shots, but not many of us are willing to go the extra mile.
Without the Coach Sals, t-longs, patmorans, Db, clumps , and Michael82 this board would still be okay, but not the same. I come here first ,before I look anywhere else to get caught up on Bills news.
Do these guys always get it right ? NO..but neither does ESPN. The difference is
Jokes are one thing (am sill laughing @ the Maybin dress joke ) but how bout we give the guys doing the work around here a little more credit ?
Not anyone (contrary to popular belief )can start a blog or web page. It takes more then the vast majority are willing to invest , and more talent then you think.

With the lock out ,things have come to a stand still . Let's not shoot the messengers .
The one perk to being one of the older posters is, I don't need to impress anyone.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Doesn't the guy who doesn't care and the guys who think not so happy thoughts about other individuals have the same right as the guys who care and love everyone?

Michael82
05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Great post, sdbillsfan2! I wish you would post more often. :bf1:

Bangarang
05-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Everyone's a tough guy behind a keyboard

Keep talkin' and see if something doesn't happen to you. Test me bro.

:bringit:

Philagape
05-16-2011, 03:48 PM
Keep talkin' and see if something doesn't happen to you. Test me bro.

:bringit:

I got a blister on my thumb, does that count?

SABURZFAN
05-16-2011, 03:50 PM
civility went out the window when my thread, blasting JP Lossman after the loss to the Lions, mysteriously vanished. :bullseye:

justasportsfan
05-16-2011, 03:52 PM
a thread like this usually pops up during offseason.

X-Era
05-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I think we ought to simply realize that a lot of folks have a soapbox and are interested in the discussion. The hard part is that not all people share the same soapbox...

Chances are good someone will be ranting about something you don't agree with. But so what, I'm sure other person won't agree with you.

That's why theres this thing called the message board. That's the point. If you want to hear people agree with you you're in the wrong place.

Plenty on here are able to respectfully disagree. And under that framework, we have some pretty good dialogue. But when it gets nasty or too annoying many just simply leave for a day, for a while, or for good.

I value what T-Long, Db and a whole host of others bring. And to be honest, I really don't find much value in the ******* responses. I would trade those in to hear intelligent conversation any day of the week.

Mr. Miyagi
05-16-2011, 04:40 PM
It's not just offseason.

I'm a dick all the time, on and off the internet.

Yasgur's Farm
05-16-2011, 05:41 PM

The one perk to being one of the older posters is, I don't need to impress anyone.Way to tell off all the Jamie Dukes at BZ... :shelby:
http://www.crestock.com/images/550000-559999/555966-xs.jpg

Jan Reimers
05-16-2011, 05:49 PM
I try to remain civil on this board, as I always do in my personal and business life. Sometimes, though, I let some of the more outragous posts get the better of me.

Your thread is well taken, however, and I will try to do better in the future.

DrGraves
05-16-2011, 07:55 PM
A decade plus of losing probably isn't helping anyone's attitude.

Buffalo Thriller
05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
A decade plus of losing probably isn't helping anyone's attitude.

Ill second that..

Zero
05-16-2011, 10:00 PM

Lately, the way some people on this board react to something they disagree with, you would think you've just insulted their mommy.

Extremebillsfan247
05-17-2011, 02:06 AM
It is a good thing once in awhile to get subjects such as this one out into the open. A lot of times, things like this get swept under a proverbial rug until it becomes a much bigger problem. We can only change this by discussions such as this one which really help to make message boards like this one better.

I think this extended period of not having much to talk about plays a role in that incivility more so now than in the past with a genuine threat looming of a loss to the 2011 season in general. But there is still a lot of bitterness to past performances of this team fresh on the minds of a lot of posters here. Not to make excuses for such actions, but since I've been a member of this board, that seems to be the salt to the wounds of many here.

Since we all come from different walks of life, it can be expected that not everyone will get along as good neighbors. The bigger the crowd around you, the better the chance that one in that crowd will not get along with you. Even Coachsal, as cool and even tempered a person as he is, has seen his share of posters who would go out of their way to discount, or discredit his every word. The one thing we can do as posters to alleviate some incivility is to not add to such behavior by reacting to it in an equally negative manor.

Trust in the fact that moderators of most message boards pay attention to such actions and they will be dealt with accordingly. Of course, each message board is different with respect to rules of conduct. It should fall to the responsibility of every moderator to know those rules, so as to act upon them when such rules are violated. It is our responsibility as posters to act in a civil manor and report such events when hostility towards a poster is frequent enough to warrant such action. Moderators can only act, if they know what is happening in the first place. Although I don't expect everyone to agree, this is my opinion on such matters, and how they should be dealt with.

Novacane
05-17-2011, 08:25 AM

I agree with you in some cases. I don't know why guys flame Pat so bad. If you don't like him don't read his stuff.

As for T-longs Maybin interview thread. I don't care what Maybin has to say. Nothing against T-long. You care so go ahead and read the interview but don't preach at us that don't care to hear anything more from Maybust.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-17-2011, 10:18 AM
At the end of the day it is a message board. Anyone can freely come here and without much of a boundary, they can say what they want. There will always be people here who think they are better than everyone else. Heck, we have seen a lot of good people leave this place and not return because of some of us who just pushed and pushed until they left. I am not going to sit here and say I am not guilty of it, but I really don't care. I am here for fun, that is it, I am not going to change anyone's opinion no matter what I say. There are people here I don't care for, but they have the right to say what they want.

sdbillsfan2
05-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Heck, we have seen a lot of good people leave this place and not return because of some of us who just pushed and pushed until they left. I am not going to sit here and say I am not guilty of it, but I really don't care. I am here for fun, that is it

That just about says it all. Maybe thats the difference between you and I. I care when the good ones leave. But your 100% correct it's only a message board , your free to do what you like. Have "FUN" !

BertSquirtgum
05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
three words.......suck a fart

TigerJ
05-17-2011, 12:43 PM
I agree it can be pretty annoying. I'm not sure that a great deal can be done about it, short of tightening up the rules of conduct to an intolerable degree. I don't want to see that happen. I have for the last nine years made a consistent effort to be civil in all my posts, and I think for the most part I've been successful. I guess my hope is that when people see civil posting they'll decide to follow suit. Many won't of course, but as a few join up maybe it can become a movement.

jamze132
05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a bunch of vagina's having coffee together in here while talking about their feelings.

Mr. Pink
05-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Is this the right place for the Billszone support group?

Extremebillsfan247
05-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Is this the right place for the Billszone support group?
It's our version of an AA meeting. I'm currently constructing a bonfire so we can all gather around and sing koom ba yah. lol