PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Pegula Close to Buying Amerks

Michael82
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Multiple sources have confirmed to 2-On-Your-Side that Sabres Owner Terry Pegula is in the final stages of purchasing the Rochester Americans of the American Hockey (http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/121780/4/Sources--Pegula-Close-to-Buying-Amerks#) League.

We're told that negotiations have intensified over the past couple of weeks, and that the deal has either reached, or is close to reaching its conclusion.

The Sabres would offer no confirmation, but did reaffirm that they are "looking at all aspects of the organization, including the AHL affiliation short and long term."

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/article/121780/4/Sources--Pegula-Close-to-Buying-Amerks

Michael82
05-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Awesome news! I'd love to see what Pegula can do if he owns the Amerks and has total control of them too. :bf1:

OpIv37
05-17-2011, 03:22 PM
when does the Sabres deal with Portland end?

trapezeus
05-17-2011, 03:29 PM
more exciting if you substitute "amerks" with "Bills"

OpIv37
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
more exciting if you substitute "amerks" with "Bills"

If you replace "Amerks" with "Bills," then it's exciting even if you replace "Pegula" with anyone who won't move the team.

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2011, 03:32 PM
when does the Sabres deal with Portland end?
2013-2014. And (supposedly) there is not an out clause.

Cleve
05-17-2011, 03:34 PM
This is terrific news for Sabres/Amerks fans. Terry Pegula is like a godsend for the sports fans of WNY. Go, Terry, go!

OpIv37
05-17-2011, 03:36 PM

What the hell was Golisano thinking? Was Steve Donner really that bad? Hell, even if he was, why rope yourself into Portland for so long?

SabreEleven
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
What the hell was Golisano thinking? Was Steve Donner really that bad? Hell, even if he was, why rope yourself into Portland for so long?

Golisano thought of 1 thing...Money.

Michael82
05-17-2011, 03:58 PM
There's always out clauses, as long as you have enough money. Pegula does. :up:

Michael82
05-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Here's more to the story....

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

The Buffalo Sabres have been looking at all aspects of their organization, including their minor-league situation and a possible return to Rochester, and a reunion with their longtime affiliate is getting closer.

Sabres owner Terry Pegula has had talks to purchase the Amerks, a source told The Buffalo News today. The Associated Press quotes a source as saying the Sabres have signed a nonbinding letter of intent to purchase the American Hockey League club.

JD
05-17-2011, 04:24 PM
And it continues to be too good to be true.

I'm waiting for the "Pegula arrested for money laundering" thread

Cleve
05-17-2011, 05:04 PM

I

Yeah really. Please DON'T pinch me - if I am dreaming I don't want to wake up. :)

CuseJetsFan83
05-17-2011, 05:20 PM
as a sabre fan great news... as a crunch fan... even better....... i miss the days of miller, vanek, pominville, hell even cunneyworth and houda :)

still wish they'd take over syracuse, but it makes too much sense.......... but i do have to wonder if the knighthawks are included or if its a hockey only deal?

camelcowboy
05-17-2011, 05:35 PM
If you replace "Amerks" with "Bills," then it's exciting even if you replace "Pegula" with anyone who won't move the team.He can own both the bills and sabres since they are in the same market.

Michael82
05-17-2011, 05:37 PM
as a sabre fan great news... as a crunch fan... even better....... i miss the days of miller, vanek, pominville, hell even cunneyworth and houda :)

still wish they'd take over syracuse, but it makes too much sense.......... but i do have to wonder if the knighthawks are included or if its a hockey only deal?
Pegula already owns the Bandits. He can't buy the Knighthawks too.

YardRat
05-17-2011, 06:18 PM

Natural gas...Pennsylvania...polluted water...Hmmmmmm.

hydro
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
He can own both the bills and sabres since they are in the same market.

True, although this has nothing to do with what Opiv was getting at. All he is saying is that anyone that buys the Bills is fine as long as they stay.

G Wolly
05-18-2011, 12:30 AM

Pegula funded the Bin Laden raid.

trapezeus
05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Natural gas...Pennsylvania...polluted water...Hmmmmmm.

this is pegula's long term strategy to get the flyers and penguins to suck. that's how committed he is to sabres hockey.

OpIv37
05-18-2011, 09:27 AM
this is pegula's long term strategy to get the flyers and penguins to suck. that's how committed he is to sabres hockey.

DC is downstream from PA and not that far away- hopefully it takes out the Capitals too. It may affect me, too, but it's worth a little cancer to see the Sabres win and the Caps lose.

trapezeus
05-18-2011, 09:44 AM
and people question your fandom.

Mercy
05-18-2011, 12:26 PM
love it, love it, love it

SkateZilla
05-19-2011, 12:27 PM
2 Contract stoppers:

AHL Affiliate Contract.
We already have a contract with Portland. (details I dont know)

Pegula Owns the Sabres which own the Bandits,
The Amerks Own the Knighthawks

Buying the Amerks would also transfer ownership of the Knighthawks to Pegula,
which is against the rule of one owner controlling 2 teams.

Mercy
05-19-2011, 12:39 PM
2 Contract stoppers:

AHL Affiliate Contract.
We already have a contract with Portland. (details I dont know)

which is against the rule of one owner controlling 2 teams.Is that what they're reporting? I don't think the Amerks own the Knighthawks. They have the same owner.

OpIv37
05-19-2011, 12:42 PM

which is against the rule of one owner controlling 2 teams.

I think mercy's right- I don't think the Amerks own the Knighthawks. I think they are both owned by the same guy.

Regardless, it's not a contract stopper. Pegula could either sell the Bandits, the Amerks could sell the Knighthawks before Pegula buys the team, or a sale of the Knighthawks to someone other than Pegula can be worked into the arrangement. It complicates things, but it's not a stopper.

SabreEleven
05-19-2011, 12:44 PM
How is Pegula getting out of Portland?

OpIv37
05-19-2011, 12:47 PM

There are probably two options:
1. Wait.
2. Pay.

Mercy
05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
2. Pay.That's what I assumed.

Dr. Lecter
05-19-2011, 12:51 PM
Pay and help them find another NHL team. There is no formal out, but it is relatively minor. I am sure that Pegula is smart enought to have a plan in place to deal with that if he is looking this seriously at buying the Amerks.

And yes, the Knighthawks are another stumbling block as they would be a package deal. Pegula will need to find a home for them or work out a deal whereby they stay in the Blue Cross arena but pay no rent or something like that.

Mercy
05-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Who says?

http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/2011/05/17/sabres-want-the-amerks-but-a-sale-is-far-from-a-done-deal/

History, they say, repeats itself. And so, as long as no surprises are found during the current due diligence process, the Rochester Americans will again be owned by the Buffalo Sabres.

Several sources close to both organizations said today that negotiations are well underway for the Sabres to buy the Amerks from Curt Styres. Officials from both teams won’t comment.

Sabres owner Terry Pegula and team president Ted Black have made further regionalization of their NHL brand a priority. Owning and stocking the Amerks will enhance those efforts.

Styres, reached by phone at his home in Ohsweken, Ontario, declined direct comment when asked if a sale is close to being finalized. He has never admitted that he is trying to sell the franchise to the Sabres. However, persons familiar with the team’s operation say discussions have been underway between the Amerks and Sabres for more than a month.

Styres apparently will continue to own the Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League.

Mercy
05-19-2011, 01:05 PM
http://blogs.democratandchronicle.com/kevino/2011/05/17/those-amerk-sale-rumors-are-way-more-than-rumors/

RESUME AGAIN: Styres will continue to own the Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League, largely because the lacrosse team is his baby. He’s the team’s general manager (the league honored him as executive of the year) and his nephew (Cody Jamieson) plays on the team and now graces the atrium windows of Blue Cross Arena at the War Memorial.

Dr. Lecter
05-19-2011, 01:08 PM
That is different than what I saw yesterday, but is great news. I know attendance was down for the Knighthawks, but if they are removed from the equation that is great.

Mercy
05-19-2011, 01:09 PM
That is different than what I saw yesterday, but is great news. I know attendance was down for the Knighthawks, but if they are removed from the equation that is great.Which is why you would think the guy would want to get rid of them