PDA

View Full Version : Don't go changing: Bills show faith in O

Ed
05-18-2011, 02:41 PM
I didn't see this posted, but it's a decent read.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/28950/dont-go-changing-bills-show-faith-in-o

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Good God. Marcus Easley is huge for a receiver (far right).

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0517/nfl_c_billspractice_cmg_300.jpg

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Here's why I like Gailey. Most other coaches would've said crap like well it was the right decision at the time and Edwards gave us the best chance to win then and blah blah blah. Not Gailey.

New head coach Chan Gailey backed him in the beginning. Edwards took most of the offseason reps and was named the No. 1 quarterback when training camp opened. Edwards started all four preseason games.

Fitzpatrick, Brown and Brian Brohm (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11290) fought over the scraps. Fitzpatrick attempted 23 passes before the season.

Asked at the NFL scouting combine in February if he regretted those decisions, Gailey replied, "Shoot, yeah. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have done that."

ddaryl
05-18-2011, 03:09 PM
my only question.. Why were Spiller and Evans not there ????

OpIv37
05-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Levi Brown has surfer hair.

Lucky for him, there will be plenty of summer beach time left after he gets cut at the start of camp.

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Levi Brown has surfer hair.

Lucky for him, there will be plenty of summer beach time left after he gets cut at the start of camp.
Because we'll bring in total studs like Tyler Thigpen and Troy Smith, who are soooo much better than him?

justasportsfan
05-18-2011, 03:33 PM

they weren't invited because they were high draft picks. Only rejects were allowed.

Thanks Ed. Great read.

SabreEleven
05-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Good God. Marcus Easley is huge for a receiver (far right).

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0517/nfl_c_billspractice_cmg_300.jpg

Leave it to you to be checking out the guys.

trapezeus
05-18-2011, 03:42 PM
the way edwards was scrapped so quickly makes me think that ralph had his hands all over that one.

Ralph: Chan, you got to give this guy a chance. i really like marv and he said bill walsh said something. we got to give him a chance.

Chan: Ok, if i give him a chance and he fails, can i bail on him?

Ralph: sure. but i know that won't happen.

Chan: if i bail on him, i'm cutting him. that's fine, right?

Ralph: Yep, but i just know that he needs better guidance.

Chan then gives edwards his 100% attention, shows to ralph that he's doing everything he can do, and in week 2 after 2 just awful games, chan goes to ralph and says, "you saw what i did. it didn't work. it won't get better. I'm cutting him." Ralph sheds a tear and oks the decision.

Bangarang
05-18-2011, 04:07 PM
the way edwards was scrapped so quickly makes me think that ralph had his hands all over that one.

Ralph: Chan, you got to give this guy a chance. i really like marv and he said bill walsh said something. we got to give him a chance.

Chan: Ok, if i give him a chance and he fails, can i bail on him?

Ralph: sure. but i know that won't happen.

Chan: if i bail on him, i'm cutting him. that's fine, right?

Ralph: Yep, but i just know that he needs better guidance.

Chan then gives edwards his 100% attention, shows to ralph that he's doing everything he can do, and in week 2 after 2 just awful games, chan goes to ralph and says, "you saw what i did. it didn't work. it won't get better. I'm cutting him." Ralph says "who are you and what was this all about again? Hang on, let me call the nurse".

fyp

Mr. Miyagi
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
LOL

When I think of Ralph I think of Homer Simpson's dad.

http://www.zokacoffee.com/blog/images/simpsons.jpg

zone
05-18-2011, 04:29 PM
It's nice to see all these guys working out together. Too bad Lee doesn't find it as important to get that connection with Fitz, he should watch his back with the young guys we have progressing.

Extremebillsfan247
05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
This is still a 7-9 team that in finishing 3 wins shy of repeating that record for the 5th straight season, got probably one of the best Dlineman in this years draft, a really good DB with a first round grade, and a really good inside linebacker which should all bring some level of impact to our defense. That receiving core is really young, but has a ton of potential. I don't think they are as far off from turning this team around as many others believe. But that's my opinion. Great article, now if we can end this stupid lockout, we can get the show on the road. Lets play some football already, Go Bills.

John Doe
05-18-2011, 05:28 PM
What a difference from last year.

None of the recievers were working out with Fitz, and any time spent with Trent ended up being wasted.

After the QB training camp competition, Fitz was forgotten until he took over well into the season.

The rookie wide recievers were still getting acclimated to the pro game and the offensive system.

Now almost all of the recievers are working out with Fitz who is definately the starter, and 3 of the rookies have gained some great experience. Plus, Easley is healthy.

Ginger Vitis
05-18-2011, 05:53 PM

They have millions of dollars in the bank.. Maybe they feel like they don't have to work as hard?

OpIv37
05-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Because we'll bring in total studs like Tyler Thigpen and Troy Smith, who are soooo much better than him?

Yes.

Those guys suck too but at least they have NFL game experience. Brown was always a long shot and as far as I can tell, he hasn't done anything to prove he belongs. It would be nice if he could set himself apart from clowns like them in camp, but given that he temporarily lost his roster spot to Brian ****ing Brohm, I don't see it happening.

better days
05-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Yes.

Those guys suck too but at least they have NFL game experience. Brown was always a long shot and as far as I can tell, he hasn't done anything to prove he belongs. It would be nice if he could set himself apart from clowns like them in camp, but given that he temporarily lost his roster spot to Brian ****ing Brohm, I don't see it happening.

Before he was drafted, the book on him was smart with a good arm. I guess we will find out how smart & how good.

Coach Sal
05-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Directly from Lee Evans twitter a few weeks ago:

"I really wanted to make the session with Fitz and the guys but the timing of it didn't work out."

I'd love for the whole team to be at private workouts while this lockout is going on. But, man, they are human beings who have real lives and families, too. Sometimes they may have prior commitments or issues that don't allow them to be at these things.

psubills62
05-19-2011, 08:52 AM

I'd love for the whole team to be at private workouts while this lockout is going on. But, man, they are human beings who have real lives and families, too. Sometimes they may have prior commitments or issues that don't allow them to be at these things.
David Nelson mentioned on twitter that they're going to have more workouts and "the whole team will be there."

cookie G
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM

I think it depends on what the other commitments were.

First, I like Lee Evans, always have. I thought he was the right pick at the time, and still do.

I thought he was underutilized, and still do. I forgive him for the Edwards era, because there wasn't a deep threat in the league that was going to be productive under those circumstances.

Even last year, Chan pointed out that SJ started getting the catches because Evans was being double teamed all of the time.

Ok, with that aside...

if the prior commitment is some celebrity golf tournament, or whatever...its time to readjust prior commitments.

I mean, this isn't the 60's any more, where guys are having to work other jobs in the offseason to make their mortgage payment. When you're making 9 million a year, this should be your major commitment.

I'd like to read an article about Evans saying, "I want to be more a part of this offense this year, I know I have more to offer. I talked to Chan about it before the lockout and I've talked to Fitz. I'm flying out weekly to Arizona and Fitz is flying out a few times to my place. We're working on shorter routes, getting our timing down so they just don't send me deep ever play."

THAT'S the type of commitment I'd like to be hearing.

The idea of "yeah, maybe we'll get together next month" doesn't sound like a lot of commitment to me.

There was an offseason when guys were making $10,000 a year. This should be treated as a year round, full time job these days.

And with THAT said, I do like the male bonding of all of the late round draft choices and UDFA's here. Hell, Dareus is talking about making teams pay for taking him 3rd in the draft.

Imagine the collective chip these guys can carry. They take this offense to another level and it will make a great story.

jamze132
05-19-2011, 09:46 AM
http://southparkstudios-intl.mtvnimages.com/shared/sps/images/shows/southpark/vertical_video/import/season_01/sp_0106_01_v6.jpg?width=480

This is how I see Ralph.

Coach Sal
05-19-2011, 10:11 AM
I think it depends on what the other commitments were.

First, I like Lee Evans, always have. I thought he was the right pick at the time, and still do.

I thought he was underutilized, and still do. I forgive him for the Edwards era, because there wasn't a deep threat in the league that was going to be productive under those circumstances.

Even last year, Chan pointed out that SJ started getting the catches because Evans was being double teamed all of the time.

Ok, with that aside...

if the prior commitment is some celebrity golf tournament, or whatever...its time to readjust prior commitments.

I mean, this isn't the 60's any more, where guys are having to work other jobs in the offseason to make their mortgage payment. When you're making 9 million a year, this should be your major commitment.

I'd like to read an article about Evans saying, "I want to be more a part of this offense this year, I know I have more to offer. I talked to Chan about it before the lockout and I've talked to Fitz. I'm flying out weekly to Arizona and Fitz is flying out a few times to my place. We're working on shorter routes, getting our timing down so they just don't send me deep ever play."

THAT'S the type of commitment I'd like to be hearing.

The idea of "yeah, maybe we'll get together next month" doesn't sound like a lot of commitment to me.

There was an offseason when guys were making $10,000 a year. This should be treated as a year round, full time job these days.

And with THAT said, I do like the male bonding of all of the late round draft choices and UDFA's here. Hell, Dareus is talking about making teams pay for taking him 3rd in the draft.

Imagine the collective chip these guys can carry. They take this offense to another level and it will make a great story.

Like I said, that would be great, but he doesn't have to explain anything to you, me, or anyone else. So, why do people have to assume he's not committed, without knowing anything about the reason(s) he didn't go?!

And I disagree that if the commitment was a golf tourney or something like that he should re-evaluate his priorities. (I have no idea what the reason was, but let's assume for a second it was)...If he made that commitment last summer or back in January, and people buy tickets and make donations based on him being there, then he needs to be there. We're not in a position to judge what should be more important to him. And we're biased because we're Bills fans.

Quick story. I knew Tony Hargrove in high school. His head coach is one of my best friends. When he was with the Bills (before suspension) he was set to do a kids football camp in his hometown. He is like a God in his hometown because he's in the NFL and has a lot of family there. Lots of kids parents paid decent $$ for their kids to be a part of this with him. And the town has a lot of underprivileged kids who use football as a way to stay away from trouble and/or try and get to college. I was going to help coach it. There were ads/flyers in the paper every day about it promoting it. A week before the camp, Tony had to cancel the whole thing because he was told by Bills coaches he had to be at some workouts they were doing (this was independent of regularly scheduled camps. He actually could have done the camp, but didn't want to upset the Bills coaches). People were really upset. Some at him, some at the Bills. Some just sad for their kids who really looked forward to this and had to get their $$ back. I was disappointed on a personal level because I was looking forward to coaching it. But, I also thought it made him look bad to do this after he made the commitment to those kids and the community. I understand he was in a tough spot. He had to make a choice. Some people felt he made the right one, to his team. Some felt he made the wrong one, not to his community and prior obligation.

The bottom line is: just because a guy like Evans doesn't choose to be at Fitz' camp over whatever else he has going on doesn't mean he's not committed.

Maybe there was a wedding.

Maybe his daughter was in a play and he doesn't get to see her do things very often.

I have no idea. But it doesn't really matter to me. Like I said, it would be great if he (and everyone else) was there. I'd love that. But it doesn't make me think his level of commitment is anything less than it was beforehand just because he made the decision to not be there over whatever else he had planned.

justasportsfan
05-19-2011, 10:18 AM
Like I said, that would be great, but he doesn't have to explain anything to you, me, or anyone else. So, why do people have to assume he's not committed, without knowing anything about the reason(s) he didn't go?!

Wish Evans was there but if anything, Lee has always been in shape for camp. He's always played hard at camp. He's always helped teammates at camp.

mysticsoto
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Wish Evans was there but if anything, Lee has always been in shape for camp. He's always played hard at camp. He's always helped teammates at camp.

He also hasn't whined much about not getting the ball thrown his way - despite the crappy qbs we've had. Sure he loved JP b'cse JP wasn't afraid to throw the long ball, but since, his #'s have fallen sharply b'cse Trent was a 5 yd thrower or take the sack. Fitz is better, but he still doesn't go long that often. And maybe that's b'cse of the Oline's limitations. Nevertheless, for the most part, Evans is quiet...

justasportsfan
05-19-2011, 10:41 AM
He also hasn't whined much about not getting the ball thrown his way - despite the crappy qbs we've had. Sure he loved JP b'cse JP wasn't afraid to throw the long ball, but since, his #'s have fallen sharply b'cse Trent was a 5 yd thrower or take the sack. Fitz is better, but he still doesn't go long that often. And maybe that's b'cse of the Oline's limitations. Nevertheless, for the most part, Evans is quiet...
He goes all out to block for his teammates . Definitely one of the better blocking WR in the league.

cookie G
05-19-2011, 11:05 AM

And I disagree that if the commitment was a golf tourney or something like that he should re-evaluate his priorities. (I have no idea what the reason was, but let's assume for a second it was)...If he made that commitment last summer or back in January, and people buy tickets and make donations based on him being there, then he needs to be there. We're not in a position to judge what should be more important to him. And we're biased because we're Bills fans.

Quick story. I knew Tony Hargrove in high school. His head coach is one of my best friends. When he was with the Bills (before suspension) he was set to do a kids football camp in his hometown. He is like a God in his hometown because he's in the NFL and has a lot of family there. Lots of kids parents paid decent $$ for their kids to be a part of this with him. And the town has a lot of underprivileged kids who use football as a way to stay away from trouble and/or try and get to college. I was going to help coach it. There were ads/flyers in the paper every day about it promoting it. A week before the camp, Tony had to cancel the whole thing because he was told by Bills coaches he had to be at some workouts they were doing (this was independent of regularly scheduled camps. He actually could have gone, but didn't want to upset the Bills coaches). People were really upset. Some at him, some at the Bills. Some just sad for their kids who really looked forward to this and had to get their $$ back. I was disappointed on a personal level because I was looking forward to coaching it. But, I also thought it made him look bad to do this after he made the commitment to those kids and the community. I understand he was in a tough spot. He had to make a choice. Some people felt he made the right one, to his team. Some felt he made the wrong one, not to his community and prior obligation.

The bottom line is: just because a guy like Evans doesn't choose to be at Fitz' camp over whatever else he has going on doesn't mean he's not committed.

Maybe there was a wedding.

Maybe his daughter was in a play and he doesn't get to see her do things very often.

I have no idea. But it doesn't really matter to me. Like I said, it would be great if he (and everyone else) was there. I'd love that. But it doesn't make me think his level of commitment is anything less than it was beforehand just because he made the decision to not be there over whatever else he had planned.

OK.

The season was over in January. It is now mid-May. Have you heard any time of him getting together with Fitz since January?

I know, maybe they have, maybe they haven't. If they have, there's a good chance you'd have heard someone mentioning it. In his tweet, or whatever it was...did you hear him say anything like "yeah, I couldn't make it, but I've been running for routes for Fitz X amount of times so far this offseason?"

The prior commitments line only goes so far. Sooner or later, you have to say, "would you mind getting a little football in between prior commitments?"

It isn't like these guys are given 2 weeks paid vacation. They're getting 6 months, with the occasional OTA thrown in during the meantime. They have the financial means to hop on a plane for a few days and still be able to be back for the weekend.

Its do-able, if they really wanted it to happen.

mysticsoto
05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
OK.

The season was over in January. It is now mid-May. Have you heard any time of him getting together with Fitz since January?

I know, maybe they have, maybe they haven't. If they have, there's a good chance you'd have heard someone mentioning it. In his tweet, or whatever it was...did you hear him say anything like "yeah, I couldn't make it, but I've been running for routes for Fitz X amount of times so far this offseason?"

The prior commitments line only goes so far. Sooner or later, you have to say, "would you mind getting a little football in between prior commitments?"

It isn't like these guys are given 2 weeks paid vacation. They're getting 6 months, with the occasional OTA thrown in during the meantime. They have the financial means to hop on a plane for a few days and still be able to be back for the weekend.

Lee Evans has nothing to prove. He runs great routes already. He's been on the team for quite a few years along with Fitz. Why take time away from the other prospects who want to work with Fitz and get their timing down? Fitz and Evans have had years to work together. He has nothing to prove.

You want to improve Evans' game? Improve the Oline so they can actually hold if the long pass is called for. Improve the Oline's run blocking so they actually have to play it with more personnel than just their front Dline. Lastly, develop the 2/3rd WRs so they are consistent. That should help remove teams from double teaming him and get him better numbers!

better days
05-19-2011, 11:39 AM
OK.

I have heard experts say & I agree with them that these player only workouts have very little real value other than keeping in shape & a chance for the players to bond together.

zone
05-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I have heard experts say & I agree with them that these player only workouts have very little real value other than keeping in shape & a chance for the players to bond together.

Don't under estimate the value of team bonding. I think that a well bonded team equates to more wins.

The only person that is getting hurt by the lack of connection between Fitz and Lee is Lee. You can clearly see that Stevie is Fitz go to receiver and there is a reason for that. Fitz and Stevie had time to build a connection, they were both on the second team and have had tons of reps together. I even happen to think that Fitz has a better connection with David Nelson than he does Lee Evans.

Evans will still draw the double team deep and block well with or without the connection so it really doesn't hurt the team as a whole, if anything it helps because Evans isn't taking up Fitz time so he has more of it to spend with the young guys.

cookie G
05-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Lee Evans has nothing to prove. He runs great routes already. He's been on the team for quite a few years along with Fitz. Why take time away from the other prospects who want to work with Fitz and get their timing down? Fitz and Evans have had years to work together. He has nothing to prove.

Of course he has something to prove, as does everyone on the offense. he hasn't been to a pro bowl, hasn't been to a playoff game and has watched his productivity drop over the past several years.

He should be hungry to take him...and the offense to the next level.

You want to improve Evans' game? Improve the Oline so they can actually hold if the long pass is called for. Improve the Oline's run blocking so they actually have to play it with more personnel than just their front Dline. Lastly, develop the 2/3rd WRs so they are consistent. That should help remove teams from double teaming him and get him better numbers!

You're preaching to the choir here.

I've been preaching about improving the Oline for a decade.

A lone voice in the wilderness.