• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mysticsoto
    Too sober for this...
    • Apr 2004

Is Hairston the answer at RT?

It sounds good. Hope he solidifies that side!

Soft spoken Hairston set to compete

Comparing Bills running back C.J. Spiller to an offensive lineman happens about as often as the mercury pushes past 90 degrees in a Buffalo summer. It’s rare. But a man that coached both Spiller and Buffalo fourth-round pick Chris Hairston did just that.

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney in describing his left tackle prior to his senior campaign last summer, called him their “C.J. Spiller up front.”

While Swinney was referring more to Hairston’s consistent growth as a player, leadership and football IQ than his speed with the comparison, it was still eye-opening. But when you listen to Hairston discuss the level of pride he has in keeping his quarterback upright you begin to understand that the soft spoken offensive tackle has a passion to excel.

As a three-year starter at left tackle for Clemson, Hairston never wanted to surrender a clean shot from the blind side on his quarterback. What helped him learn quickly was going against some of the better pass rushers in the ACC every day in practice the past four years.

“I did a great job coming along throughout my career,” he said. “I was able to go against great defensive ends. My freshman year we had Gaines Adams there. I went against our scout team and we had Da’Quan Bowers come in, played a few years with him. We had Ricky Sapp, I went against him my freshman year, so that’s something that really came along. And I had to in order to survive in team drills, one-on-ones and team pass and all that.”

By the time Hairston was a senior he was a pretty polished pass protector surrendering just one sack on over 750 snaps over 12 games en route to First Team All-ACC honors.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...7-99da30cf9143
  • psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: Is Hairston the answer at RT?

I sure hope so. We desperately need someone to step up at RT. Butler's retirement was very unfortunate for this team.
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

Well lets hope so!

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

This was promising to me:

He’s got pretty good quickness for a guy his size. If you look at the change of direction, the short shuttle, the three cone, those kinds of things, he really measured higher than his 40 time said he should have measured. So his short area quickness was really pretty good.”

Comment

• Bangarang
          • Sep 2010

The potential and tools are all there. He's the mauler we've been missing on the right side. I'm hoping he can develop and fill one of our many needs for a long time.

Still need a franchise LT though.

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

if you had a physical model of what a RT should look like it would be Hairston. And he's a smart kid from all reports. I have a really good feeling about this pick.

Comment

• cookie G
              • Mar 2003

His shuttle and cones times at the Combine were 4.7 and 7.9. Average to a little below average, not close to guys like Costanzo, Solder and even Sherrod. Basically, his times were in line for a mid round draft choice, guys who don't have quite the athleticism of the higher round picks.

I know he supposedly did faster times at his Pro Day but those times aren't really official, take them for what its worth.

These times aren't always the end all of the evaluation anyways. Once in a while a guy can overcome limited athleticisim through other areas.

We'll see. I hope it works out, in spite of the Bills' lack of commitment to the OL.

This baling wire/waiver wire/late round draft choice routine for trying to fix the OL has gotten really old.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

I hope he can help because our run game was average at best since our blocking was meh.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• EDS
                  • Jan 2003

Can't be worse than Wang.

Comment

• elltrain22
                    • Sep 2003

Very optimistic about this kid, but I said the same thing last year about Wang. Time will tell, but, on paper, he looks very promising.
                    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• mysticsoto
                      Too sober for this...
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by elltrain22
                      Very optimistic about this kid, but I said the same thing last year about Wang. Time will tell, but, on paper, he looks very promising.
                      I never thought Wang would amount to much and was surprised to see all the love for him here. He was just too slow. And right now, it looks like the Bills are molding him to become an all-purpose backup - on either tackle of guard. Which means, the best he'll ever be is backup.

The RT fight will be between Pears and Hairston and Pears probably has the experience edge, but I think Hairston will transition in fairly early.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Didnt see much to like on tape on him. Needs to get stronger, and really needs to finish blocks off. More finesse than power, solid technical ability though, but does have a tendency to lunge in the open field.

I dont expect him to be the answer, but Im all for being surprised.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• psubills62
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          I never thought Wang would amount to much and was surprised to see all the love for him here. He was just too slow. And right now, it looks like the Bills are molding him to become an all-purpose backup - on either tackle of guard. Which means, the best he'll ever be is backup.

The RT fight will be between Pears and Hairston and Pears probably has the experience edge, but I think Hairston will transition in fairly early.
                          Yeah, I was never a huge fan of Wang. He just doesn't seem to have particular strengths. Technique? Eh. Strength? One of his weaknesses. Athleticism? OK. I just can't believe they selected Wang with a starting position in mind. This year they knew they needed an RT and they got one.

There are times when I'd rather have guys who are really strong in one area and weak in another. That's one reason I like Hairston - a mauling run blocker. He does has limited athleticism, but how many RT's are really that athletic?
                          "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                          - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by EDS
                            Can't be worse than Wang.
                            Don't be so hard on wang, he's just at the tip of his potential. Look for him to show up at camp with a bang. Wang's got balls.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by mysticsoto

Since asians are not big by nature ,I expected Wang to either be injured a lot like Yao MIng or not althletic enough to play in the pro level in his size.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X