PDA

View Full Version : Bills players set to hold workouts in Buffalo .

justasportsfan
05-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick texted that he's set to attend. Last month, he held a similar workout with a handful of Bills players in Arizona. Receiver Lee Evans, running back Fred Jackson and cornerback Terrence McGee are also expected to participate.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APafb3cbf56b464d3c8669ad08248aa051.html

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Get Spiller and Steve Johnson there too.

DraftBoy
05-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Bout damn time.

The Raiders and Falcons are working on details to scrimmage each other here in Atlanta.

Bangarang
05-19-2011, 04:47 PM
Bout damn time.

The Raiders and Falcons are working on details to scrimmage each other here in Atlanta.

Seems kind of risky no?

DraftBoy
05-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Seems kind of risky no?

Its just 11 on 11 passing drills. Non-Contact Im sure, but its good to stay sharp.

sdbillsfan2
05-19-2011, 06:48 PM
I was impressed that about 30 guys may show up. Like the effort !

"about 30 Bills players are preparing to begin a series of informal workouts in town next week. "

dasaybz
05-19-2011, 07:38 PM
About damn time for what? To play catch in shorts? Honestly, just stay home guys. I highly doubt that playing catch in May is going to make this team any better.

christhebillsfan783
05-19-2011, 08:00 PM
About damn time for what? To play catch in shorts? Honestly, just stay home guys. I highly doubt that playing catch in May is going to make this team any better.

Thats right, bad mouth any possibly positive news about the team growing some chemestry... It may not make them better athletically but im sure the more they hang out (when it is not necessary) and practice together, the better the chemestry is. Better then everyone ignoring one another and saying "Oh well, I don't have to be anywhere, I'll do my own thing". Im a fan of the workout.

alnilla
05-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Whats it going to hurt??? They should of been doing this months ago when it started.

alohabillsfan
05-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Until someone tears a hammy from insufficient stretching.

Buddo
05-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Nice PR exercise, and good for building team spirit. After that, about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
I'm sure there will be teams whose players will claim what they did themselves 'made all the difference', but ultimately it's just BS.
Coaches determine what is supposed to happen, not players. The coaches aren't involved - or are not supposed to be - therefore, whatever is done, is of little to no use.

DraftBoy
05-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Nice PR exercise, and good for building team spirit. After that, about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
I'm sure there will be teams whose players will claim what they did themselves 'made all the difference', but ultimately it's just BS.
Coaches determine what is supposed to happen, not players. The coaches aren't involved - or are not supposed to be - therefore, whatever is done, is of little to no use.

Yes because we know that guys like Marcus Easley don't need to learn the routes, or get timing down with his QB.

Guys like Danny Batten don't need to know coverage schemes and see the routes being run.

Guys like Chris Hairston dont need to know protection schemes, and assignments.

There is plenty to be gained in these workouts without the coaches being there. We are an extremely young team and we need all the time we can get.

Luisito23
05-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Young teammates working out together...How could this be negative?

trapezeus
05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
this is probably where its good to have a cerebral guy as a QB. Someone who grasped the gailey playbook and is able to communicate the offense to people.

mikemac2001
05-20-2011, 10:08 AM
just end this ****ing lockout i want football

Buddo
05-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes because we know that guys like Marcus Easley don't need to learn the routes, or get timing down with his QB.

Guys like Danny Batten don't need to know coverage schemes and see the routes being run.

There is plenty to be gained in these workouts without the coaches being there. We are an extremely young team and we need all the time we can get.

Easley might get some timing done catching balls in shorts. The rest he had last year to learn from the sidelines.

Same thing applies to Batten - IR, but kept around the facilities all the time.

Hairston will be moving to RT. You want to trust last years RTs to show him the ropes?

Whole thing is totally overblown imho. I won't deny that there are some limited gains to be made, mainly on the Offensive side of things.
It's a good exercise in building team spirit - and in keeping guys focussed on staying in shape.
Use in preparation for the season? - Next to none.
I can't argue that we aren't a young team, but like so much else that is NFL related, it's less about quantity, and more about quality. I'd be astounded to hear that there was going to be any quality coaching available.

wmoz11
05-20-2011, 10:33 AM
If you guys think they'll be lining up doing bird-dog linemen drills, you've got another thing coming. Just because these guys play the game doesn't mean that they can coach it or teach it.

Nothing they do at this thing will prepare them for the season, schematically. Not a chance.

I do think it's great that they're getting together to gain familiarity and interact. It's definitely a good thing. Just not for the reasons some people think.

justasportsfan
05-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Honestly, just stay home guys. I highly doubt that playing catch in May is going to make this team any better.

" I approve this post" -Jmarcus

better days
05-20-2011, 11:02 AM

The problem is there is nothing being filmed so a guy like Easley can be running the route the wrong way & won't even know it because there are no coaches there to coach him up & no film to look at.

justasportsfan
05-20-2011, 11:12 AM
knowing a wr's weakness, strengths , tendencies can help a qb . A wr can also learn about what his qb looks for.

Although Lee is a more talented wr than Stevie Johnson, Fitz said he gained chemistry with Stevie from playing together on the 2nd team during camp.

I agree that the coaches make the call but Fitz always stated that Gaileys listens to him when it comes to what Fitz thinks he's comfortable with when running a play. Fitz has changed a lot of plays on the line of scrimmage and playing with his wr's early on can only help the passing game.

As for the rest of the guys like Batten ,etc.etc. this time together will help them pick the brains of guys like Merriman.

There is more to gain from this

justasportsfan
05-20-2011, 11:14 AM
The problem is there is nothing being filmed so a guy like Easley can be running the route the wrong way & won't even know it because there are no coaches there to coach him up & no film to look at.

this is where Fitz comes in. He knows the playbook . He knows what Gailey wants/likes. I'd rather the coaches tweak their route running they learned from Fritz rather than start from scratch .