PDA

View Full Version : The Bills worst 1st round selection

TacklingDummy
05-19-2011, 02:58 PM
The Bills worst 1st round selection since 2000.

Dr. Lecter
05-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I meant Maybin and voted too quickly and went with Williams. Dammit

justasportsfan
05-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Maybin so far.

mysticsoto
05-19-2011, 03:24 PM
You guys are crazy? Williams set us back years not just b'cse of his bad play, but b'cse of the money he commanded afterward! He was the cause Bledsoe became a sniveling mouse - he was so scared. Our QBs have never ran so much in their life.

Maybin is costing us, what? $500k vs Williams' $8 million in his last year - and we continued to have to pay him even after we dumped him...

justasportsfan
05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
You guys are crazy? Williams set us back years not just b'cse of his bad play, but b'cse of the money he commanded afterward! He was the cause Bledsoe became a sniveling mouse - he was so scared. Our QBs have never ran so much in their life.

Maybin is costing us, what? $500k vs Williams' $8 million in his last year - and we continued to have to pay him even after we dumped him...

the reason why I said so far is because at least Mike Williams saw the field. Maybin hasn't yet. If Maybin never sniffs the field ever again, he's the biggest bust.

mysticsoto
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
the reason why I said so far is because at least Mike Williams saw the field. Maybin hasn't yet. If Maybin never sniffs the field ever again, he's the biggest bust.

But he hasn't cost the team much. Did Erik Flowers ever sniff the field - I can't remember, but I sort of view both on the same boat so far...

trapezeus
05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
maybin was drafted by a crappy team. williams and losman came from a team that was close or recently had the taste of being good.

maybin was a bust the second the card was in. the other two really took our expectations and crushed them as thoroughly as possible. and they just left a wake of problems behind them.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2011, 03:48 PM
I meant Maybin and voted too quickly and went with Williams. Dammit

That's what she said.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2011, 03:51 PM

I went with Maybin because most everyone knew that it was a bad pick at the time.

With Williams it was either him of McKinnie. The Bills shockingly happen to pick the wrong one.

THATHURMANATOR
05-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Yes but I still don't mind the pick. He was clearly the guy we needed and early on was a good player. After he injured his back he lost his will to play football. Sucks but that is what happened.

X-Era
05-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I went with Maybin because most everyone knew that it was a bad pick at the time.

With Williams it was either him of McKinnie. The Bills shockingly happen to pick the wrong one.I went with Maybin because everyone else had at least some production even if it was very sub-par. Maybin has literally done nothing.

mjt328
05-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I voted for Losman.

First of all, because of the cost to get him. We had to trade back into the first round to snatch him up, losing our 2005 first rounder in the process. Because we had just taken Losman as our QB of the future and had no 2005 pick, we missed out on the opportunity to draft Aaron Rodgers, who kept falling in that draft. If we had just waited a year, I'm certain he would have fallen in our lap.

Which brings me to Losman himself. Since he was a first round quarterback, we HAD to give him a chance to start. And as the starting quarterback for three seasons, he arguably had the biggest impact of any player on our team being terrible from 2005-2007.

Finally, because Losman sucked so bad, we got suckered into believing Trent Edwards was the answer (just because he played marginally better in a couple games). That set us back another three seasons.

mysticsoto
05-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I voted for Losman.

First of all, because of the cost to get him. We had to trade back into the first round to snatch him up, losing our 2005 first rounder in the process. Because we had just taken Losman as our QB of the future and had no 2005 pick, we missed out on the opportunity to draft Aaron Rodgers, who kept falling in that draft. If we had just waited a year, I'm certain he would have fallen in our lap.

Which brings me to Losman himself. Since he was a first round quarterback, we HAD to give him a chance to start. And as the starting quarterback for three seasons, he arguably had the biggest impact of any player on our team being terrible from 2005-2007.

Finally, because Losman sucked so bad, we got suckered into believing Trent Edwards was the answer (just because he played marginally better in a couple games). That set us back another three seasons.

That's reasonable and I can certainly see that. Especially b'cse you're bound to give a QB more chances and therefore have to "eat up" the bad play for a longer period.

mysticsoto
05-19-2011, 03:59 PM
Yes but I still don't mind the pick. He was clearly the guy we needed and early on was a good player. After he injured his back he lost his will to play football. Sucks but that is what happened.

I just think it's too early. We need to see what he does in TC and preseason this year. What if he were to all of a sudden turn it up? Then all of you look like fools for choosing him as a bust so quickly. With all the news of having his son die...it's not a surprise why he might have been distracted last year. I'm not putting excuses for him. Just that I don't think his level of bust has cost the team as much as others...

THRILLHO
05-19-2011, 05:57 PM
I cant choose Williams because at the time, he was a good selection. It was the right choice. No one thought we had any business selecting Maybin, and they were correct. And like others have said; atleast Williams saw the field.

YardRat
05-19-2011, 06:02 PM
I went with Williams. Maybin at least has one more shot to do something, and he is still young.

Crisis
05-19-2011, 06:08 PM
losman....we had the most invested into him

MikeInRoch
05-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I agree that the answer should not be Williams. Williams was nod a bad choice based on the information available at the time. Maybin, however, was a horrible choice based on the information available at the time.

Having said that, I think that Drew Bledsoe should also get some consideration...

ajsdx
05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
The mere fact that you can make an argument for half our first rounders from 2000-2010 is pathetic.

elltrain22
05-19-2011, 06:49 PM
You know you're bad when it takes you several minutes to ponder which sucky pick, was the suckiest!

wmoz11
05-19-2011, 06:50 PM
I went with McCargo for the simple fact that we actually moved up to get this guy. Someone really thought that was a good idea. As soon as I saw us move, I KNEW it had to be for Mangold. How we botched that one I'll never know.

And I know we moved up for JP, but he at least had his moments. McCargo hasn't done a thing.

stuckincincy
05-19-2011, 06:58 PM

Yep. I cringed when they drafted such a big man with those toothpick ankles. But the first year or two, he did ok...nobody seems to remember that.

It's always a dice roll. CIN drafted RT Willie Anderson at #10 in 1996, amid laughter. The B'gals are far from a spiffy franchise, but they hit a home run there; Anderson was a rock for them for years and years.

I'm still scratching my head for reasons why BUF spent their 2nd - 3 total - on DBs. I guess they must have great confidence in Fitzys' scrambling abilities.

SquishDaFish
05-19-2011, 07:20 PM
I meant to vote Fat ass Mike Williams but hit Flowers oh well. Both SUCK

justasportsfan
05-19-2011, 09:10 PM
I voted for Losman.

We also lost out on drafting Orakpo if thats you reason.

At least JP gave us one good season.

OpIv37
05-19-2011, 09:22 PM
It was a tough call between Maybin and Mike Williams. As bad as MW was, at least he was on the field and played in some games, unlike Maybin. This makes Maybin the bigger bust.

The biggest mitigating factor is that Maybin still has a chance to redeem himself, but given what we've seen so far, I don't see it happening. If Maybin never takes the field again, he is clearly the biggest bust in Bills history, and possibly the biggest non-QB bust in NFL history.

Novacane
05-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Maybin was a WTF pick the second they made it. At least Mike Williams at was not a bad pick at the time. He just turned out to be a bust.

Ingtar33
05-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Mike Williams Started games and wasn't too bad at stretches. that's better then Erik Flowers, John McCargo and Aaron Maybin have managed. I'd put those three before Williams or Spiller (the next two worst)

acehole
05-20-2011, 03:34 AM
ftt.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-20-2011, 06:11 AM
i voted losman cause a big miss on a qb is a mega killer

Dr. Lecter
05-20-2011, 06:12 AM
Mike Williams Started games and wasn't too bad at stretches. that's better then Erik Flowers, John McCargo and Aaron Maybin have managed. I'd put those three before Williams or Spiller (the next two worst)
Really?

Spiller after one season?

Luisito23
05-20-2011, 07:15 AM
Wish I could vote for Maybin twice...The bum deserves it.

TigerJ
05-20-2011, 09:04 PM
I said Flowers. If Maybin departs the Bills never having accomplished anything, he'll certainly be in the conversation, but Flowers had his chance, blew it completely, and long ago left the teamnever having accomplished anything. The way I figured it, if they are still on the team, the player still has a chance to do somethng. If a player has started for a while, at least the Bills got something out of him. I'll have to admit though that seeing all of the first round picks since 2000 all together makes it pretty obvious what an ugly job Buffalo has done drafting in the first round. Out of all of them, the only one who gave Buffalo solid first round production was Nate Clements. It's no wonder Buffalo has one of the longest playoff droughts in the league.

thesquirrelking
05-21-2011, 12:28 AM
I said Williams but I think I should've put Flowers just because of his massive cone-head. The first time I saw him take his helmet off on the sideline my jaw almost hit the floor.

Michael82
05-21-2011, 02:20 AM
There's only one pick that really pissed me off and that's Aaron Maybin. I wanted Brian Orakpo so bad. Plus he's useless and still has as many career sacks as I do. :ill:

ServoBillieves
05-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Flowers, Maybin, and McCargo belong in their own little screwed up world. Losman, again, had his moments. McKelvin is still a decent corner, but a 1st rounder? Not so much. As well as Clements as we found out in the long run. Evans, McGahee, and Lynch are all still ballers, only problem is only 1 is on the team anymore. Williams sucked it up for us but turned it around, and Whitner is mediocre while Spiller is still a mystery.

Ugh... I still voted Flowers.

Dozerdog
05-21-2011, 02:54 PM
It's like voting between dog poo, baby poo, cat poo, cow poo.........

The winner will still be poo

Bangarang
05-21-2011, 03:54 PM
Looking at that list of players makes me a sad panda.

BillsFever21
05-21-2011, 07:29 PM
All you need to do is take a look at that list and you see the biggest reason why this club has been pathetic for the past decade. We got a few average players and that was about it.

It's pretty bad when the best player we drafted in the past decade is a toss up between Clements and Evans. Each were average for us but nothing spectacular.

Clements was probably the best. He gave us the most production out of any of them and was the only one out of that list who was considered one of the top players at their position around the league.

YardRat
05-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Spiller, McKelvin, and yes, even Maybin shouldn't even be part of the conversation. All three are still on the team, and all three still have the opportunity to have the lightbulb switch to 'On' for us.

That, of course, is being said only in the context of each pick relative to the others, and not based on who we could've/should've taken at that point. Hell, looking back even our 'better' picks are overshadowed by the likes of Reggie Wayne, Todd Heap, Drew Brees, Tommie Harris and Vince Wilfork.

Danny Duberstein
05-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Ugh.....there's so many terrible ones. I can't decide between:

Whitner - Not even close to BPA. Panicked because the guy we wanted (Huff) got taken, so we reached for the next best SS (like we did with Losman). Passed on Ngata, which would have filled a huge hole.

McCargo - I don't even know what to say.

Maybin - I mean, pass rusher was a need....but we picked this guy? Over Mathews, Orakpo and Oher?

Spiller - Yay, he's a great athlete. Too bad we passed on a ton of quality RT's (Bulaga, Smith, Saffold, ect), and we already had two 1000 yard RB's on the roster.

Canadian'eh!
05-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Wow... 5 years after the Erik FLowers pick he seemed like a mortal lock to be the ONLY person worth talking about in in terms of biggest 1st round busts.

Now?
He's still very near the top, but Williams, Losman, Maybin, and McCargo are right there too. Even those who were mildly successful like Whitner, McGahee, Lynch and McKelvin are generally disappointing.

The ONLY 2 good picks were Clements and Evans.

Clements walked as a Free agent and is long gone. Evans has been in a steady decline due to poor QB/OL/Coaching... etc.

Wow.