PDA

View Full Version : My interview with Aaron Maybin

T-Long
05-19-2011, 07:17 PM
It has yet to be published on NFL.com, but The Fan Hub has it out. I figured, why wait? Hope you all enjoy...

Maybin Interview (http://www.thefanhub.com/1214/elsewhere/nfl/buffalo-billsthefanhub-interviews-bills-linebacker-aaron-maybin.html)

Bangarang
05-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Good stuff!

Tatonka
05-19-2011, 08:50 PM
i feel like you could have asked him some much tougher questions..

Tatonka
05-19-2011, 08:52 PM
not to **** on your interview.. you did a good job.. just feel like there were a lot of questions thrown out there that could have gotten to the stuff we really want to hear from him.

Mindbender
05-19-2011, 09:09 PM
i feel like you could have asked him some much tougher questions..

My guess is T-Long has pretty significant time restrictions or number of questions restrictions. I wouldn't want to piss off Maybin by being antagonistic the entire interview (5-6 questions or so). That's a good way to get him to not answer ANY questions and probably ruin any chances of future interviews.

I think this probably was the most antagonistic you could get in an interview like this:

Long: In a recent interview with Tim Graham of ESPN.com, head coach Chan Gailey was asked about you personally. He had this to say: "He's got to understand about pass-rush. He's got to understand about leverage and changing direction and not running past the quarterback and all those little things that go into a great pass-rusher's feel for beating an offensive tackle and getting to the passer. He's got to be a better special-teams player. He's got to be better versus the run." What is your response?

NOT THE DUDE...
05-19-2011, 09:36 PM
the kid has shown some flashes. he has speed, quickness, and seems to be working on his size and power/technique. i think its just a matter of him working on his technique and developing a legit power rush. its easier said than done. i remember eric moulds was considered done after 2 years, and he broke out. keep in mind that in preseason, during some games e.g. against jonathan scott he had 2 major pressures, against jeff backus he had his first sack in preseaon where he blew by him, in his first preseason game against max starks he had some pressure. its not like he hasnt shown potential. i just want him to get up to 265lbs and develop more power. that would help out his speed rush quite a bit... jmo if aaron maybin does have a breakout year, ie 8+ sacks, he would help out this team so much. i just think we are set with merriman, kelsay, moats, batten, coleman, and maybe even kirlew.... well see...

NOT THE DUDE...
05-19-2011, 09:38 PM
also keep in mind it took cameron wake, who is the same size and from penn state 5 years to break out. same for harrison. either way this is maybins last chance

patmoran2006
05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
the kid has shown some flashes. he has speed, quickness, and seems to be working on his size and power/technique. i think its just a matter of him working on his technique and developing a legit power rush. its easier said than done. i remember eric moulds was considered done after 2 years, and he broke out. keep in mind that in preseason, during some games e.g. against jonathan scott he had 2 major pressures, against jeff backus he had his first sack in preseaon where he blew by him, in his first preseason game against max starks he had some pressure. its not like he hasnt shown potential. i just want him to get up to 265lbs and develop more power. that would help out his speed rush quite a bit... jmo if aaron maybin does have a breakout year, ie 8+ sacks, he would help out this team so much. i just think we are set with merriman, kelsay, moats, batten, coleman, and maybe even kirlew.... well see...

Shown flashes of what? The highlight of his 2-year career has been drawing a holding penalty on Jonathan Scott. Aaron Maybin is done, barring injuries to other guys he won't even be on the opening day roster.

BTW, good job with the interview Terry. I know you have time restrictions on these things and also if you're name isn't Peter King or SalPal you can get cut off real quick from an interview with the wrong question. Good stuff

Novacane
05-19-2011, 09:46 PM
the kid has shown some flashes.

Uh..................no he hasn't.

Novacane
05-19-2011, 09:49 PM
BTW, good job with the interview Terry. I know you have time restrictions on these things and also if you're name isn't Peter King or SalPal you can get cut off real quick from an interview with the wrong question. Good stuff

Exactly why I don't get on you guys for not asking the real tough questions that we would all like to hear Maybust answer. You guys are trying to build a name for yourselves. If you ask to tough of questions you'll never get another interview,

jamze132
05-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Good job.

Mr. Pink
05-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Good job on the interview. Sounds like a class guy, too bad he absolutely blows on the field.

Buddo
05-20-2011, 06:25 AM
Good job on the interview. Sounds like a class guy, too bad he absolutely blows on the field.

Pretty much this.
I think that's what makes it more frustrating with him tbh. He doesn't just say the right things, he tries to do them. Let's hope something 'clicks' for him, and he can actually contribute this year - that doesn't mean I'm of the opinion he will, just that it would be good all round, if he could.

DesertFox24
05-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Look I really doubt this guy ever gets it but there are some things that may benefit him and help him out.

1. The coaches are not giving him anything this either makes players quit or work harder

2. He is working on his weakness and appears to be getting bigger. The one question I wish Long had asked him was how big is he now and how big does he want to be at start of training camp

3. The guy just turned 23, so he does have the ability to grow into his body if he is eating correctly and lifting to put on weight

4. Bottom line I am not expecting anything out of him but I do hope the he makes this team and does make some sort of contribution, because we need all the contributions we can get

Everyone wants to say year 3 he will break out like stevie. I have to disagree because when Stevie did play in his first two years he showed glimpses. Maybin has two plays that make you notice him. The holding call he drew and the time he destroyed that running back on screen and threw him like a rag doll for a no gainer. He showed good speed, fluid hips, and change of direction on that play. Other than that he has looked lost. Which, as he said in his own words could be from learning the scheme.

In closing I would be very careful writing players off or putting all your eggs in their basket at this point with this team. We are really young and have not done anything yet.

TigerJ
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM
Maybin pretty much has to know he has screwed up his pro career so far, so he has to be pretty brave to even do an interview. I think Terry asked about as tough a question as he could reasonably be expected to ask when he quoted Gailey's assessment of Maybin and asked him to respond. If you're a no name journalist trying to build your resume, you're pretty much toast if you start ripping on the guys you manage to get as interviews. You'll earn a negative reputation among sports figures and then nobody will talk to you.
Nice job, Terry.

better days
05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
Great interview Terry. Maybin is still very young & has a great work ethic so I think there is still hope for him.

trapezeus
05-20-2011, 09:23 AM
thanks for asking that question about how he deals with being publically called out by chan. he had a bit of a stock answer, but it was a good answer. i also liked that he said he's faced adversity at every level and this isn't really that different.

Out of curiousity, was this a face to face interview, or a submit questions and then see his written responses interview? I only ask because in one of his answers, it says "LOL". did he say lol or did he actually just laugh?

Ickybaluky
05-20-2011, 09:33 AM
also keep in mind it took cameron wake, who is the same size and from penn state 5 years to break out. same for harrison. either way this is maybins last chance

I think it would piss Bills fans off more if he takes years to develop and goes on to be a starter with some other team. You don't take a guy in the first round with the idea of him taking years to contribute. Maybin isn't in a position where poeple are going to be patient, he needs to start contributing.

I still think the biggest indictment of the kid is his lack of participating on ST. At least if he could contribute on ST he would dress on game day, but he hasn't. It makes it harder for the team to bring him along.

SabreEleven
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Maybin is tackling Big Ben?...that HAD to be Photoshopped.

Bill Cody
05-20-2011, 09:35 AM
I know this means nothing for him production wise which has been zero, but I was really impressed with the articulate way Maybin answered the questions, sounded intelligent. I admit to changing my mind about him after reading that. He really sounds like he's doing his level best. If the problem is that he just sucks I can't hold that against him at all. Despite his words my expectations remain quite low but I really hope he surprises me.

Thanks for doing the interview T Long good job.

wmoz11
05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Maybin is tackling Big Ben?...that HAD to be Photoshopped.

Maybe sacked Ben and Stafford in preseason one year. Then he called it a career.

Extremebillsfan247
05-20-2011, 11:28 AM
It has yet to be published on NFL.com, but The Fan Hub has it out. I figured, why wait? Hope you all enjoy...

Maybin Interview (http://www.thefanhub.com/1214/elsewhere/nfl/buffalo-billsthefanhub-interviews-bills-linebacker-aaron-maybin.html)
Fantastic interview. It's never a bad thing to read about stuff like this especially now with this lockout crap. Good work. Thanks for sharing this.

paranoid
05-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I thought it was a good piece. You struck a nice balance between total puffball questions and being unnecessarily confrontative.

Maybin sounds like a good guy. It's a shame he's been so disappointing.

FlyingDutchman
05-20-2011, 01:47 PM
as much as the kid pisses me off and Im still not over us skipping Orakpo for him, at least hes saying the right stuff and hes knows its all on him to sink or swim. ill still root for the kid

Demon
05-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Your Maybin interview is WGR's top story on their web site.... http://wgr550.com/Bills--Maybin-Hopes-to-Gain-Gailey-s-Trust/9884790

Coach Sal
05-21-2011, 04:16 PM
....I have been a follower of his teams from his days at the University of Miami under coach Jimmy Johnson...

Uhhhhh, what?! Wanny coached with Jimmy from 86-88 at The U. Maybin was "following" Wanny's teams before he was born and before his first birthday (b. April 1988)??

I understand he wants to give solid answers, but he obviously just looked at Wanny's resume to give THAT answer to that question.

As far as the interview itself, good job and congrats, Terry. Not just on the interview, but on the fact that it's been picked up and oublished by some other very reputable sources who get a lot of traffic.

T-Long
05-21-2011, 05:21 PM
really cool for WGR to pick it up. Thanks for all the positive feedback everybody! Merriman and/or Danny Batten interview will be published next. Stay tuned...

justasportsfan
05-23-2011, 10:32 AM
really cool for WGR to pick it up. Thanks for all the positive feedback everybody! Merriman and/or Danny Batten interview will be published next. Stay tuned...

NFL.com also picked up your article and added ..

Bill comes due: Maybin realizes it's time to shake 'bust' label

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ff1b80/article/bill-comes-due-maybin-realizes-its-time-to-shake-bust-label

Ground Chuck
05-23-2011, 11:34 AM
The most telling thing for me is that Maybin isn't even good enough to play on special teams. To me that speaks volumes.

mysticsoto
05-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Not looking good for Maybin...
Per rotoworld:

Bills OLB Aaron Maybin reportedly showed up to player-organized workouts looking "like a wide receiver."

Maybin's inability to keep weight on isn't new, and it doesn't appear he's fixed the problem in his third NFL offseason. The Bills are moving forward with Arthur Moats and Danny Batten behind Shawne Merriman and Chris Kelsay. A team that liked Maybin before the 2009 draft may offer Buffalo a late-round pick for him this fall. With the Bills, he would struggle to make the roster.

Ickybaluky
05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Not looking good for Maybin...
Per rotoworld:

Judge for yourself how big he looks:

LINK (http://twitpic.com/52cir1)

http://twitpic.com/52cir1

X-Era
05-25-2011, 11:40 AM

http://twitpic.com/52cir1The guy has always been jacked. But if he can't get off blocks, the rest is moot. Maybe he hopes to be more mobile in coverage and that's his best chance to get playing time.

Ickybaluky
05-25-2011, 11:54 AM
The guy has always been jacked. But if he can't get off blocks, the rest is moot. Maybe he hopes to be more mobile in coverage and that's his best chance to get playing time.

Chipping in on ST would be his best chance at playing time. At least that would get him dressed on game day.

X-Era
05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Chipping in on ST would be his best chance at playing time. At least that would get him dressed on game day.With Batten coming back, Sheppard and White as rookies, and Davis and Torbor both back, he's really on the outs at this point. His best chance is if Chris White looks raw and doesn't make the 53 man and if he can beat out a vet or if a vet gets injured for the season in TC. Just my opinion.

justasportsfan
05-25-2011, 01:44 PM
With Batten coming back, Sheppard and White as rookies, and Davis and Torbor both back, he's really on the outs at this point. His best chance is if Chris White looks raw and doesn't make the 53 man and if he can beat out a vet or if a vet gets injured for the season in TC. Just my opinion.

With the bills usually keeping 3 rb's and White being a ST player ,he'll make it.

X-Era
05-25-2011, 01:46 PM
With the bills usually keeping 3 rb's and White being a ST player ,he'll make it.We haven't even had FA yet. I'm not so sure we won't add another guy to the mix.

OLB- Kelsay, Batten
ILB- Poz, Torbor
ILB- Sheppard, Davis
OLB- Merriman, Moats

And that doesn't include White or Maybin... and I didn't include Antonio Coleman who may just continue to make his case.

justasportsfan
05-25-2011, 01:51 PM
We haven't even had FA yet. I'm not so sure we won't add another guy to the mix.

OLB- Kelsay, Batten
ILB- Poz, Torbor
ILB- Sheppard, Davis
OLB- Merriman, Moats

And that doesn't include White or Maybin... and I didn't include Antonio Coleman who may just continue to make his case.
My bad , I had Johnny White in mind :hitself:

X-Era
05-25-2011, 01:53 PM
And we may just grab a UFA and a UDFA or two... it's going to be a battle to see who makes it this year. Frankly I'm glad that we may have a problem like that... where we cut a 1st rounder because he never lived up to potential rather than being forced to keep him because we have nothing else.

It could just represent us turning the corner and become a decent team.

Michael82
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM

http://twitpic.com/52cir1

Wow! He looks jacked in his arms, but looks too tiny everywhere else! :ill: I don't like how scrawny his legs are either. No wonder he can't get any push.

SABURZFAN
05-28-2011, 12:09 PM
the kid has shown some flashes.

WHERE??????

i haven't seen it on the football field.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
My bad , I had Johnny White in mind :hitself:

i think they keep coleman instead of torbor... so...

kelsay/batten
sheppard/davis
poz/white
merriman/moats/coleman