PDA

View Full Version : Jasper wasting away to nothing

YardRat
05-22-2011, 06:55 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ff01d6/article/bills-dt-jasper-is-winning-battle-with-the-scale

The 6-foot-4½ nose tackle has lost 73 pounds since leaving Middle Tennessee State after his sophomore year to transfer to Bethel, an NAIA school in McKenzie, Tenn., and he has focused on slimming down even more since his college career closed last fall.

"(Bills regional scout) Matt Hand made a deal with me initially, saying they wanted me under 400 pounds," Jasper told the Tennessean (http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110520/SPORTS01/305200060/Biggest-winner-Mt-Juliet-lineman-sheds-weight-375-pounds-NFL?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports%20Tennessee%20Titans). "After the draft, I talked with coach (Chan) Gailey, and he said just to keep working hard and keep the weight off."

Luisito23
05-22-2011, 07:10 AM
:snicker2:

Bangarang
05-22-2011, 07:41 AM
How many times can this same story be told? Jasper is getting so much hype and yet nobody knows if he can actually play football.

mikemac2001
05-22-2011, 09:30 AM
How many times can this same story be told? Jasper is getting so much hype and yet nobody knows if he can actually play football.

Guys that big and that athletic aren't easy to find

Bangarang
05-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Guys that big and that athletic aren't easy to find

But can he play football?

hydro
05-22-2011, 09:49 AM

He's playing NT. Not exactly a position that requires vast football knowledge. He can be taught.

Scumbag College
05-22-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm fine with the pick of Jasper. He was a comp pick at the end of the seventh round...

If he doesn't pan out, it's not the worst thing in the world. I think any player taken at that point in the draft is a longshot to have any type of NFL career of note. It is an optimistic article and he seems to be working hard at it.

YardRat
05-22-2011, 05:20 PM
We're going to be the first team to win a Super Bowl and not have a single starter drafted before the fourth round.

ServoBillieves
05-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Honestly, how much football knowledge do you need when you can take up two blockers unintentionally? It's easy to bench press 285/305 if you're an offensive guard/center in the NFL, but try bench pressing 375 every play.

As long as he can push back and eat up space, that makes it a lot easier on the LB's and down linemen. Maybe spin, fall over and create a hurdle for the RB.

Oaf
05-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks this seems counter-intuitive?

TigerJ
05-22-2011, 09:26 PM
I was amused at what Jasper said about a conversation he had with his trainer. Allegedly, his trainer thinks he shouldn't drop below 360 lbs. It's also been said Jasper carries a lot less fat than you'd expect for a guy that big. I'd like to find out what his body fat index is. I'd also like to learn what he can do in the 40 and other combine tests that measure short area quickness, once he reaches 360.

NOT THE DUDE...
05-22-2011, 09:31 PM
he should enter camp at 365ish.

Goobylal
05-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I believe the Bills want him at 360# and initially he said that's where he planned to be by training camp. Sounds like he's hesitant to do it, but willing.

Mr. Miyagi
05-23-2011, 07:06 AM
Well its not easy give up Krispy Kreme.

mysticsoto
05-23-2011, 08:06 AM
From Chris Brown's blog:

As far as Jasper’s chances go I think there are a couple of things working against him. First, he played a lower level of college ball. Some players can overcome that quickly (see: Terrence McGee), but for most it takes a bit longer to develop into a player that can perform consistently against NFL competition. Second, he’s played offensive line each of the past two seasons at Bethel.
He has experience at defensive tackle, but its three years in the rearview mirror and to make the transition back to that position at the highest competitive level of football in a lockout shortened offseason is going to be difficult.
By no means am I doubting Jasper. I don’t know the man. I do know he has a tremendous work ethic as evidenced by his efforts to streamline his body and mold himself into an NFL prospect. He also has smarts and obvious physical ability. How quickly he masters the techniques however, will be the ultimate factor that determines his chances.

I hope Chris is wrong about this, b'cse if they are thinking that he will remain in the PS, they are dead wrong. Denver will probably snatch him up the next day! If the kid looks like diamond in the rough, they better keep him off the PS!!!

don137
05-23-2011, 08:07 AM
The thing I like about the last two drafts is they seem to draft good character players that have a passion to be better and not just great athletes but are lazy (I.e. Mike Williams). I love hearing stories like this and Troupe who want to do what it takes to be successful in this league.

BillyT92679
05-23-2011, 08:17 AM
he's the 7B pick
house money

if he can't, who cares?

If he can, then that's the steal of the century

EDS
05-23-2011, 03:15 PM
From Chris Brown's blog:

I hope Chris is wrong about this, b'cse if they are thinking that he will remain in the PS, they are dead wrong. Denver will probably snatch him up the next day! If the kid looks like diamond in the rough, they better keep him off the PS!!!

If the guy can't make the Bills 53 man roster how many other teams are really going to be eager to get the guy? Right now, we don't know if is any better than Lonnie Harvey or Kellen Heard, two other oversized defensive lineman the Bills have brought in for a look.

mysticsoto
05-23-2011, 03:28 PM
If the guy can't make the Bills 53 man roster how many other teams are really going to be eager to get the guy? Right now, we don't know if is any better than Lonnie Harvey or Kellen Heard, two other oversized defensive lineman the Bills have brought in for a look.

Joique Bell couldn't make our roster last year. He was picked up immediately. Several years ago, we put a promising FB in our PS and he was gobbled up quickly too. Just b'cse they can't make our roster doesn't mean other teams have no interest. Denver right now is hurting for DTs (which is why it was so surprising they preferred Von Miller over Dareus - but I'm not complaining with their choice - just puzzled). Still...you can bet that they are looking to fill their holes as much as they can in FA and if they see this 370 lb behemoth that can clog a hole (perfect NT for a 3-4 def), and who is working out hard to try and make it, they will grab him and let him be 2nd or 3rd string while he learns behind a vet.

Unless Jasper is totally clueless, I'd prefer to let Spencer Johnson go, and see what becomes of Jasper. Johnson is 29 and is strictly backup material. He has not shown that he is capable of stepping it up any more than he already has. I'd prefer to take a chance that Jasper may develop into a formidable NT rather than holding on to Spencer who, has no more upside than he's already shown.

EDS
05-23-2011, 03:40 PM
Joique Bell couldn't make our roster last year. He was picked up immediately. Several years ago, we put a promising FB in our PS and he was gobbled up quickly too. Just b'cse they can't make our roster doesn't mean other teams have no interest. Denver right now is hurting for DTs (which is why it was so surprising they preferred Von Miller over Dareus - but I'm not complaining with their choice - just puzzled). Still...you can bet that they are looking to fill their holes as much as they can in FA and if they see this 370 lb behemoth that can clog a hole (perfect NT for a 3-4 def), and who is working out hard to try and make it, they will grab him and let him be 2nd or 3rd string while he learns behind a vet.

Unless Jasper is totally clueless, I'd prefer to let Spencer Johnson go, and see what becomes of Jasper. Johnson is 29 and is strictly backup material. He has not shown that he is capable of stepping it up any more than he already has. I'd prefer to take a chance that Jasper may develop into a formidable NT rather than holding on to Spencer who, has no more upside than he's already shown.

What about Kellen Heard? He is about the same size as Jasper.

mysticsoto
05-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Don't know much about him...but I'll keep my eye open once...I mean...if TC ever comes around.

Goobylal
05-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Spencer is a DE in the 3-4. I'd finally cut ties with McCargo and give his roster spot to Jasper.

Jasper has 20# on Heard, and Heard has nowhere near the athleticism of Jasper.

TigerJ
05-23-2011, 10:35 PM
What about Kellen Heard? He is about the same size as Jasper. I think Heard is a little taller, and lighter 350-ish without checking his measurables at BB.com.

mysticsoto
05-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Spencer is a DE in the 3-4. I'd finally cut ties with McCargo and give his roster spot to Jasper.

Jasper has 20# on Heard, and Heard has nowhere near the athleticism of Jasper.

Arrrgghhh...it's unbelievable that McCargo is still on this roster. Yes, if he was being counted then yes, he should definitely be the 1st to go. It's almost a no brainer to keep Jasper over McCargo.

Jasper's stamina is supposed to be really good also. He was on the field alot playing Guard and even ran alot to block at the 2nd level. Now he must even be in better shape with his exercise regimen. I really hope this kid pans out. I could already see ESPN lining up to do a "feel good" story about him if he makes it on the team...

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Bell was also re-cut and bounced around a few teams.

It is rare that these supposed projects get scooped up by other teams. Very rare.

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2011, 08:20 AM
And McCargo was DE last year too.

mysticsoto
05-24-2011, 08:48 AM
Bell was also re-cut and bounced around a few teams.

It is rare that these supposed projects get scooped up by other teams. Very rare.

Huh? Bell was kept off the PS on purpose in 2008 b'cse of the fact that he would be taken by another team!!! He didn't play one game in '08, but Jauron recognized that he had the potential to play LT. 2009 was a trying year for him as he "learned the ropes" on the job and ended w/injury. Last year, he finally started to emerge like they (and I) thought he had the capacity to do.

ChristopherWalken
05-24-2011, 09:20 AM
He has size, natural ability and a strong work ethic. If he can transfer those things to work on the field, he has a ligitimate chance of making the team - at very least the practice squad.

justasportsfan
05-24-2011, 09:30 AM
He's a project. Only way he sticks is if he isn't dominated at camp.

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Huh? Bell was kept off the PS on purpose in 2008 b'cse of the fact that he would be taken by another team!!! He didn't play one game in '08, but Jauron recognized that he had the potential to play LT. 2009 was a trying year for him as he "learned the ropes" on the job and ended w/injury. Last year, he finally started to emerge like they (and I) thought he had the capacity to do.
Jouique Bell, the player that YOU mentioned and I responded about.

mysticsoto
05-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Jouique Bell, the player that YOU mentioned and I responded about.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about Demetrious.

But that doesn't help your argument either. Joique was never viewed as a top diamond in the rough. Some of us thought he'd be a pretty good backup. Apparently he's good enough to be off the PS. Though he's been waived a couple of times, in some instances it was to make space for another player needed. When Philly got him, they tried to PS him and NO snatched him away.

I think you're helping my argument.

Besides, who would you rather have on the team? Jasper or McCargo? (Doesn't matter that McCargo played DE last year)

Goobylal
05-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I think Heard is a little taller, and lighter 350-ish without checking his measurables at BB.com.
Yep, 6'6" and 355#.

Arrrgghhh...it's unbelievable that McCargo is still on this roster. Yes, if he was being counted then yes, he should definitely be the 1st to go. It's almost a no brainer to keep Jasper over McCargo.

Jasper's stamina is supposed to be really good also. He was on the field alot playing Guard and even ran alot to block at the 2nd level. Now he must even be in better shape with his exercise regimen. I really hope this kid pans out. I could already see ESPN lining up to do a "feel good" story about him if he makes it on the team...
Maybe a movie: "The Heavy Side."

And McCargo was DE last year too.
He did? Who cares, cut him anyway!

SABURZFAN
05-24-2011, 06:28 PM
the guy is still a fat slob.

Mad Max
05-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm fine with the pick of Jasper. He was a comp pick at the end of the seventh round...

If he doesn't pan out, it's not the worst thing in the world. I think any player taken at that point in the draft is a longshot to have any type of NFL career of note. It is an optimistic article and he seems to be working hard at it.

True for most teams, not so much for the Buffalo Bills. We have much better luck with late round/ UDFA guys than with first rounders.

1st rounders- Whitner, Maybin, Flowers, McCargo, Mike Williams, Losman, Rob Johnson (cost a first), Dreadsoe (cost a first)....

6th and 7th rounders/ UDFA- Moats, Nelson, Why So Serious, Bell, Peters, Fitzy was a 7th round pick originally (by the Rams)

I like the big ole biscuit eaters chances.