PDA

View Full Version : Incredible Hulk has "arrived" in Buffalo.

The King
05-24-2011, 02:19 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtI_Xom.x8KS4wSPToyJqiA5nYcB?slug=ro-rogers_hulk_marcell_dareus_ready_nfl_mark_052411

LOS ANGELES – Assuming the NFL eventually dispenses with its bolts and chains, and the national fall ritual can recommence, Marcell Dareus (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24790/)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/24790/news) won’t be coming into the league through the side entrance.
Dareus, the No.3 overall pick of the Buffalo Bills (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/buf/) in last month’s NFL draft (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft), could be the league’s most colorful and outspoken newcomer. Even before the defensive tackle from Alabama has recorded a single pro stat, he is quickly gaining a reputation as a character in which to take notice.

OpIv37
05-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Can't wait for his contract dispute and subsequent holdout.

EDS
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Yikes.

trapezeus
05-24-2011, 02:26 PM
he is the first player in a long time that we all universally feel like can live up to the hype.

he seems like the real deal. i'd love to see goodell fine him for having spandex green sleeves poking through when dareus is paying homage to the hulk and talley in one shot.

justasportsfan
05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Can't wait for his contract dispute and subsequent holdout.
lol. Back to being optimistic again.

OpIv37
05-24-2011, 02:51 PM
lol. Back to being optimistic again.

nothing against Dareus- I just still don't trust this org to do the right thing and pay the man. Hopefully, if the lockout ever ends, there will be a rookie cap to save our asses.

McBFLO
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
nothing against Dareus- I just still don't trust this org to do the right thing and pay the man. Hopefully, if the lockout ever ends, there will be a rookie cap to save our asses.
Give me a break man. They couldn't stop bringing up how they don't ever want to be drafting this high again. There are several reports that the Bills turned down offers to trade out of the #3 slot. You think they're gonna play hardball with this guy?

I know it's virtually impossible for you sometimes, but try to give them some respect.

Cue the "they haven't earned it" response.

OpIv37
05-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Give me a break man. They couldn't stop bringing up how they don't ever want to be drafting this high again. There are several reports that the Bills turned down offers to trade out of the #3 slot. You think they're gonna play hardball with this guy?

I know it's virtually impossible for you sometimes, but try to give them some respect.

Cue the "they haven't earned it" response.

Damn straight, cue the "they haven't earned it" response. What has this organization done in the last 12 years to make you think they'll do the right thing?

I'll give them respect when either a) Ralph starts acting like he wants to win instead of just saying that he wants to win or b) someone other than Ralph takes over the team and starts acting like they want to win.

I don't understand why people insist on giving the organization respect when you look at their dismal results.

YardRat
05-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Damn straight, cue the "they haven't earned it" response. What has this organization done in the last 12 years to make you think they'll do the right thing?

When was the last time they had a first round pick hold out for an extended period of time?

OpIv37
05-24-2011, 08:50 PM
When was the last time they had a first round pick hold out for an extended period of time?

2 years ago: Maybin.

X-Era
05-24-2011, 09:01 PM
Two options:

1) We are permanently screwed

2) Hope springs eternal

I'm taking #2.

OpIv37
05-24-2011, 09:18 PM
Two options:

1) We are permanently screwed

2) Hope springs eternal

I'm taking #2.

There's a difference between hope and expectations. I hope it's #2, but given what we've seen so far, I expect it to be #1.

SabreEleven
05-24-2011, 09:21 PM

Too bad he still isn't holding out.

theanswer74
05-24-2011, 11:29 PM

Because of Crabtree.

The Bills are normally good getting players signed as long as players around their pick get signed. There should be no issues with Darues since the top guys normally get done pretty quick, maybe missing a couple a days.

alohabillsfan
05-25-2011, 04:35 AM
Please dont place Maybin and Dareus in the same conversation... Ever... Thank you.

Buddo
05-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Because of Crabtree.

The Bills are normally good getting players signed as long as players around their pick get signed. There should be no issues with Darues since the top guys normally get done pretty quick, maybe missing a couple a days.

Crabtree was the root cause, but as sod's law had it, Maybin's agent, was also well known, for not wanting to do a deal, until all the players around his pick were signed - which just added to the waste of time.
TBH, while strictly true, I consider Maybin's holdout to be due to a set of circumstances, rather than any inability to get a deal done on behalf of the FO on that one.
I don't think there have been any 'significant' hold outs, out of the norm for the NFL, other than that one, and as I said, I consider that to be circumstances, as much as anything else.

One thing I'm looking forward to, if there is a 'rookie cap', is the fact that agents should be getting all their clients signed up in good order, so they can participate fully in OTAs etc. and not missing any of TC.

Jeff1220
05-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I love the Dareus pick, so I'm not saying it'll go down this way, but I can remember several very similar articles being written about Mike Williams when he was drafted by the Bills.

McBFLO
05-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Which was BEFORE Nix was running the show, and while Dick Jauron was still here. You can't blame Nix and Gailey for that. That was while Russ Brandon was GM if my memory serves me correctly. And the Crabtree mention is dead on. Not the Nix's fault for the selection of, or the contract negotiation of Maybin. Apples and oranges. Nix has a good history of getting his picks signed by the time camp starts (albeit only 1 year).

X-Era
05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Crabtree was the root cause, but as sod's law had it, Maybin's agent, was also well known, for not wanting to do a deal, until all the players around his pick were signed - which just added to the waste of time.
TBH, while strictly true, I consider Maybin's holdout to be due to a set of circumstances, rather than any inability to get a deal done on behalf of the FO on that one.
I don't think there have been any 'significant' hold outs, out of the norm for the NFL, other than that one, and as I said, I consider that to be circumstances, as much as anything else.

One thing I'm looking forward to, if there is a 'rookie cap', is the fact that agents should be getting all their clients signed up in good order, so they can participate fully in OTAs etc. and not missing any of TC.I really hope that's in the next CBA.

OpIv37
05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Which was BEFORE Nix was running the show, and while Dick Jauron was still here. You can't blame Nix and Gailey for that. That was while Russ Brandon was GM if my memory serves me correctly. And the Crabtree mention is dead on. Not the Nix's fault for the selection of, or the contract negotiation of Maybin. Apples and oranges. Nix has a good history of getting his picks signed by the time camp starts (albeit only 1 year).

Except Jauron, Brandon and Nix don't write the checks. Ralph does. And he's still here.

better days
05-25-2011, 12:06 PM
I love the Dareus pick, so I'm not saying it'll go down this way, but I can remember several very similar articles being written about Mike Williams when he was drafted by the Bills.

Well when Williams was picked he was not thought of as the absolute best OT in the draft. There were many that liked the OT that the Vikings drafted better.

All of the experts think Dareus was the best DL player available & some thought he was the best player in the entire draft.

Jeff1220
05-25-2011, 01:09 PM
I meant the articles that highlight the combination of personality and talent. Mike Williams seemed to be a pretty charismatic dude, doing radio shows at UT and all that, along with what seemed to be outstanding talent. But in the end, it was all for naught.