PDA

View Full Version : WR Nelson working hard to gain weight

mysticsoto
05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Looks like he intends to be the possession receiver we need.
_____________________________________________________________\
Per Rotoworld:

Bills WR David Nelson is trying to bulk up to 225 after playing last season in the 205 to 210-pound range.

He's already at 220. At 6-foot-5, Nelson ran an impressive 4.45 forty at the Florida Gators' 2010 Pro Day, so he should maintain plenty of speed at the greater weight. After catching 31 balls for 353 yards and three scores as an undrafted rookie, Nelson will be in the mix for Buffalo's third receiver job.

X-Era
05-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Looks like he intends to be the possession receiver we need.
_____________________________________________________________\
Per Rotoworld:
I don't know how much of a difference there is in the #3 or #4 guy to be honest in our spread type passing attack. I like what Easley may become as a possession guy. I just hope Nelson continues to do what he does... he was a very pleasant surprise. I'd like to see us end up with:

Stevie Johnson
Lee Evans
David Nelson
Marcus Easley
Roscoe Parrish

If we keep a 6th, Donald Jones or Naaman Roosevelt and Jones probably wins that battle.

Mr. Miyagi
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
I guess we'll need Nelson to bulk up and be that possession guy when Easley gets hurt again.

WeAreArthurMoates
05-25-2011, 04:37 PM
I guess we'll need Nelson to bulk up and be that possession guy when Easley gets hurt again.

Even if healthy, I want Easley on the outside. He's faster than Nelson and has a knack for getting open deep.

TigerJ
05-25-2011, 08:17 PM
I don't know how much of a difference there is in the #3 or #4 guy to be honest in our spread type passing attack. I like what Easley may become as a possession guy. I just hope Nelson continues to do what he does... he was a very pleasant surprise. I'd like to see us end up with:

Stevie Johnson
Lee Evans
David Nelson
Marcus Easley
Roscoe Parrish

If we keep a 6th, Donald Jones or Naaman Roosevelt and Jones probably wins that battle.Given Gailey's heavy use of a passing attack and multiple receiver sets, I wouldn't be at all surprised should the Bills carry 6 receivers. Five is the standard number for a conventional offense, but Gailey isn't exactly conventional.

jamze132
05-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Even if healthy, I want Easley on the outside. He's faster than Nelson and has a knack for getting open deep.
What knack?

He's never played.

tampabay25690
05-26-2011, 06:45 AM

Nelson is a inside guy anyway...
Not a deep threat at all...He will be used as a TE type WR especially when we hit the red zone....
I was very happy to see him make the team last year especially being a Gator fan...

k-oneputt
05-26-2011, 07:53 AM
Not surprised he made the team at all. Look at where a lot of their late rd. picks and free agents have come from. They are used to playing against top competion in college.

mysticsoto
05-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Given Gailey's heavy use of a passing attack and multiple receiver sets, I wouldn't be at all surprised should the Bills carry 6 receivers. Five is the standard number for a conventional offense, but Gailey isn't exactly conventional.

Might as well since we don't need/use tight ends much. We can keep Chandler and Nelson (2) and carry 6 WRs instead. I don't think we can PS Felton Huggins and Roosevelt anymore so we may need to find new talent to place there. Lately, we've been getting a rash of injuries at the WR position - for whatever reason.

John Doe
05-26-2011, 09:02 AM
Might as well since we don't need/use tight ends much. We can keep Chandler and Nelson (2) and carry 6 WRs instead. I don't think we can PS Felton Huggins and Roosevelt anymore so we may need to find new talent to place there. Lately, we've been getting a rash of injuries at the WR position - for whatever reason.

I wish we had a place for Roosevelt - he made some plays last season in limited action.

Does anyone know if he can be placed on the practice squad?

mysticsoto
05-26-2011, 09:21 AM
I wish we had a place for Roosevelt - he made some plays last season in limited action.

Does anyone know if he can be placed on the practice squad?

He was on the roster for the last few games due to injuries. I'm not sure you can be on the roster and play and then go back to PS...

John Doe
05-26-2011, 09:28 AM
He was on the roster for the last few games due to injuries. I'm not sure you can be on the roster and play and then go back to PS...

Found it.

Each NFL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL) team may keep up to eight members on its "practice squad" in addition to the 53-member main roster. They consist mostly of rookies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie)
who were cut in training camps and borderline NFL-caliber players. Both rookies and young veterans are eligible for the practice squad. However, a player cannot participate on the practice squad for more than three seasons, or if he has accrued a year of NFL experience (six or more games on a club's 53-man active roster or official Injured Reserve (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injured_Reserve) list.) If the player was on the active list for fewer than 9 games during their "only Accrued Season(s)", he maintains his eligibility for the practice squad.<sup id="cite_ref-nflpa_0-0" class="reference">[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scout_team#cite_note-nflpa-0)</sup>

Looks like he may be eligible.

mysticsoto
05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Found it.

Looks like he may be eligible.
Sorry, buddy. I think he was on the active 53-man roster for 6 games (exactly) according to the player stats at nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/players/naamanroosevelt/profile?id=ROO670292

Edit: Oh sorry, missed the last sentence of the wikipedia tidbit. You're right, maybe he is eligible.