PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else worried about rookie holdouts?

Michael82
05-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Even if there is a season, it's probably going to be late or at least the beginning of FA and training camp/pre-season will be very late. Contracts can not be negotiated or signed until free agency officially begins. If they do agree to a rookie cap, it may not be in place for this season. So basically we'll be looking at all the rookies getting contracts and teams always wait for the teams in front or behind them. If none of the 2nd rounders and 1st rounders are signed by August, it will probably be at least another month to get them all signed.

The Bills have had trouble signing their rookies to contracts before camp. And now they would have even less time. I don't know about you guys, but I see a bunch of rookies, including possibly both Dareus and Williams holding out and missing all of whatever training camp and pre-season we have. Plus a couple regular season games. With a shorter time to work on contracts and with merging UFAs, RFAs and rookies together in that short time, it's going to be very tough to get the rookies signed. What do you all think? :feedback:

sdbillsfan2
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
I've been wondering the same thing !

psubills62
05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure if the NFL has the option anymore of going back to 2010 rules since the owners' appeal was upheld. They may need a brand new CBA at this point to be able to play football.

That means there's a good chance of a rookie pay scale. If everything continues as is, it would seem the owners will end up having the leverage. But as DraftBoy mentioned in another thread, that depends on what Doty rules on the TV money - if the players will get "damages" or whatnot.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a pay scale appear before the rookies sign. JMO.

jamze132
05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
I think there will be a pay scale eventually but I don't think we will see it for this draft class. I wouldn't expect an abnormal amount holdouts once the deal gets done, you know teams and agents are already talking numbers. Lets not be nieve. Teams and FAs are talking too.

Extremebillsfan247
05-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I think whenever this CBA/Lockout thing is over and done with, rookie holdouts will be a thing of the past. If there is in fact going to be some type of wage scale implemented, it basically nullifies holdouts in an effort to jockey for a better contract. The groundwork will essentially already be laid out based on where that prospect was selected in the draft.

Based on this year by itself though you make a good point. This could be the final season in which rookies may have the opportunity to cash in as much as possible. If that is the case, holdouts could be at record numbers while Agents for these rookies try and squeeze every available dime out of prospective teams. This shouldn't reflect badly on Marcell Dareus though as it is likely to be a league wide problem this year. Dareus may become a victim of circumstance here. JMO

mjt328
05-26-2011, 02:32 PM
I think whenever this CBA/Lockout thing is over and done with, rookie holdouts will be a thing of the past. If there is in fact going to be some type of wage scale implemented, it basically nullifies holdouts in an effort to jockey for a better contract. The groundwork will essentially already be laid out based on where that prospect was selected in the draft.

Based on this year by itself though you make a good point. This could be the final season in which rookies may have the opportunity to cash in as much as possible. If that is the case, holdouts could be at record numbers while Agents for these rookies try and squeeze every available dime out of prospective teams. This shouldn't reflect badly on Marcell Dareus though as it is likely to be a league wide problem this year. JMO

You're probably right.
I didn't think about the agents.

Michael82
05-26-2011, 02:50 PM

Based on this year by itself though you make a good point. This could be the final season in which rookies may have the opportunity to cash in as much as possible. If that is the case, holdouts could be at record numbers while Agents for these rookies try and squeeze every available dime out of prospective teams. This shouldn't reflect badly on Marcell Dareus though as it is likely to be a league wide problem this year. Dareus may become a victim of circumstance here. JMO

That's the reason why I think it's going to be a mess this year, especially in the top 10 picks. Agents are going to be looking to cash in big time and I have a feeling that there will be tons of holdouts, including Dareus.

mikemac2001
05-26-2011, 04:00 PM
i bet there is a rookie pay scale....makes to much sense to add it now then later...why would they want to pay these big contracts for a possible shorter year plus the rookies arnt part of the NFLPA (that no longer exists) so why would they care what they make, you would think they would rather put that money to older players/retired players

Extremebillsfan247
05-26-2011, 04:12 PM
i bet there is a rookie pay scale....makes to much sense to add it now then later...why would they want to pay these big contracts for a possible shorter year plus the rookies arnt part of the NFLPA (that no longer exists) so why would they care what they make, you would think they would rather put that money to older players/retired players
In order for a rookie scale to be implemented, a CBA must be agreed to. If the lockout continues, a CBA is far more likely to happen this year even if it means a wipe out to the 2011 season. If the lockout is lifted, you wont see a rookie scale until at least 2012 or later. The last time there was a work stoppage in the NFL, it took 6 years for a new CBA to take effect.

A lift of a lockout means the season continues without a CBA and temporary rules are put in place until one can be put together. So, lifting the lockout really is a double edged sword here. It may allow the season to go on, but it will create havoc with contract negotiations of not only rookies, but free agents as well. In any event, it's going to turn into a very ugly year for football. JMO

mikemac2001
05-26-2011, 04:29 PM
In order for a rookie scale to be implemented, a CBA must be agreed to. If the lockout continues, a CBA is far more likely to happen this year even if it means a wipe out to the 2011 season. If the lockout is lifted, you wont see a rookie scale until at least 2012 or later. The last time there was a work stoppage in the NFL, it took 6 years for a new CBA to take effect.

A lift of a lockout means the season continues without a CBA and temporary rules are put in place until one can be put together. So, lifting the lockout really is a double edged sword here. It may allow the season to go on, but it will create havoc with contract negotiations of not only rookies, but free agents as well. In any event, it's going to turn into a very ugly year for football. JMO

Thanks

that makes a lot more sense didn't think of it that way.....i still feel the owners are going to have the lockout allowed which gives them most of the power...the only fight the players would have would then be sitting out (costing them money and years + careers)

but idk owners might not want to lose on the money as well and just lift it.... and work on an agreement

BillsFever21
05-26-2011, 09:21 PM
I'm about fed up with the entire situation of the NFL at this point. They knew long before this offseason this was going to happen and they still haven't been able to come to an agreement.

Seeing as we are already approaching June and training camps would normally start in less then two months I could definitely see a shortened season. Once they do come to an agreement they have to go through FA and sign rookies. Not to mention get the players into shape.

If there isn't a deal in place by the next month you can count on the preseason being lost. If it last any longer then that it's almost pretty much assured we will see a shortened season.

It's a bunch of billionaires fighting with millionaires and it has me disgusted. I will watch the games on TV but I will not spend a dime on any tickets or merchandise this season. The hell with them.

Expect many blackouts in Buffalo again this year. This is usually the time when Season Tickets are being purchased. A large percentage of people are not going to fork out hundreds/thousands of dollars for tickets right now when there isn't a guarantee on when/if the season is going to start. Throw in some pissed off fans and it's going to hurt ticket sales even more.

We only sold out a few home games last year as it was and this year will be just as bad if not worse. Many people who buy season tickets may decide to use that money for a vacation this summer instead of investing that money on tickets right now without an assurance of a full season or any season for that matter.

Even if they did get a refund with a shortened/canceled season you still have to go through the hassle and you are giving away your money interest free right now that you could be using for other things. Throw in a percentage of pissed off fans that will say the hell with giving them my money this year whether it's with season tickets or individual game tickets and I definitely see even a bigger hit with ticket sales this season.

This won't be only a Buffalo problem but with many teams in the league. Go ahead and keep fighting over your money and it's going to cost them in the end. Look how long it took MLB to recover. The NFL would recover sooner but they will still take a hit in the pocket. Both sides need to realize this since it hits both of their pockets since the total revenue is split up in percentages for each side.

Many other people will be buying less jerseys and other NFL apparel too. I know they won't get a dime of my money this year.

theanswer74
05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Bills fans worry, its what we do.

There is nothing to worry about. A couple guys get late into camp and everyone is worried now.

Extremebillsfan247
05-27-2011, 05:21 PM
I'm about fed up with the entire situation of the NFL at this point. They knew long before this offseason this was going to happen and they still haven't been able to come to an agreement.

Seeing as we are already approaching June and training camps would normally start in less then two months I could definitely see a shortened season. Once they do come to an agreement they have to go through FA and sign rookies. Not to mention get the players into shape.

If there isn't a deal in place by the next month you can count on the preseason being lost. If it last any longer then that it's almost pretty much assured we will see a shortened season.

It's a bunch of billionaires fighting with millionaires and it has me disgusted. I will watch the games on TV but I will not spend a dime on any tickets or merchandise this season. The hell with them.

Expect many blackouts in Buffalo again this year. This is usually the time when Season Tickets are being purchased. A large percentage of people are not going to fork out hundreds/thousands of dollars for tickets right now when there isn't a guarantee on when/if the season is going to start. Throw in some pissed off fans and it's going to hurt ticket sales even more.

We only sold out a few home games last year as it was and this year will be just as bad if not worse. Many people who buy season tickets may decide to use that money for a vacation this summer instead of investing that money on tickets right now without an assurance of a full season or any season for that matter.

Even if they did get a refund with a shortened/canceled season you still have to go through the hassle and you are giving away your money interest free right now that you could be using for other things. Throw in a percentage of pissed off fans that will say the hell with giving them my money this year whether it's with season tickets or individual game tickets and I definitely see even a bigger hit with ticket sales this season.

This won't be only a Buffalo problem but with many teams in the league. Go ahead and keep fighting over your money and it's going to cost them in the end. Look how long it took MLB to recover. The NFL would recover sooner but they will still take a hit in the pocket. Both sides need to realize this since it hits both of their pockets since the total revenue is split up in percentages for each side.

Many other people will be buying less jerseys and other NFL apparel too. I know they won't get a dime of my money this year.

Well if your fed up now, just wait. It will get worse before players and owners finally turn a corner in the right direction. Just a brief example of what I'm talking about; the appeals process alone for just the lockout can take us anywhere from the middle of June to the beginning of July before we even get a ruling on that. Then theres the players anti trust lawsuit which will take even more time. The Owners still could file a counter suit claiming unfair labor practices against what they claim is still a Players Union.

My point here is that all that time spent in the court room means nothing is going to get done in terms of a new CBA. In fact the only real chance we have of getting a full season in at this point is if the lockout is lifted. If it's not, we won't only lose the preseason, but could lose the 2011 season with it. This thing is far from over, and you could even make the case that it has only just begun. JMO

TigerJ
05-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Anything I've read about any CBA to come out of post impasse negotiations is likely to screw the rookies with a rookie pay scale. The owners want it badly and the players union isn't especially interested in looking out for the interests of rookies and their agents. As a consequence, I'm not worried in the least about signing rookies.

Buddo
05-28-2011, 12:34 PM
To address a point made earlier, about it being the agents 'last, big, pay day' from rookies.
This could be true, but I don't feel it will affect contract negotiations that much.
The fact is, that once a rookie pay scale is adopted, there will still be money to be made by agents, on FA, where the money available for vets, will rise.
IMHO, it just means that agents will switch some of their focus, more towards vets, than rookies.
Basically, there's the same pot of gold to be had, just that it's spread out differently, and agents will adapt.

Buddo
05-28-2011, 12:39 PM
The biggest problem in respect of getting rookies signed, imho, is time. Get a deal (new CBA) done within a month, and there's good chances to get them all signed before TC. Lose much more time than that though, and it's likely to become a struggle.

tampabay25690
05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Even if there is a season, it's probably going to be late or at least the beginning of FA and training camp/pre-season will be very late. Contracts can not be negotiated or signed until free agency officially begins. If they do agree to a rookie cap, it may not be in place for this season. So basically we'll be looking at all the rookies getting contracts and teams always wait for the teams in front or behind them. If none of the 2nd rounders and 1st rounders are signed by August, it will probably be at least another month to get them all signed.

The Bills have had trouble signing their rookies to contracts before camp. And now they would have even less time. I don't know about you guys, but I see a bunch of rookies, including possibly both Dareus and Williams holding out and missing all of whatever training camp and pre-season we have. Plus a couple regular season games. With a shorter time to work on contracts and with merging UFAs, RFAs and rookies together in that short time, it's going to be very tough to get the rookies signed. What do you all think? :feedback:

Mikey great point.
That was 1 of the things I brought up on NFL sirius earlier this week.....
The teams that have the top picks are going to have a hell of a time getting there guys in camp......Just think CAROLINA they draft Newton and they will be so behind....Probably drafting in the top 3 again in the 11-12 draft........
Who knows what will happen but if we don't get good news the 1st week of JUNE things are really starting to look bad......

Just think for the BILLS, how many out of towners plan on making the trip to the RALPH for the Home opener????? ANSWER ALOT...Just go to Buffalo airport FRI, and SAT of an opener..........This will put a hold on my plans as well.......

This whole thing is a mess......

Cntrygal
05-29-2011, 05:31 PM
I've got a $100 voucher towards an airline ticket and I had planned on using it for the opener...... now I'm thinking of using it for a whitewater rafting trip.

ZAZusmc03
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Thought I would bump this up to the top seeing as we are still waiting with no good news quite yet. As time goes on, how many more on the boards will start seeing this as a possible nightmare to sign our rooks?

better days
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I've got a $100 voucher towards an airline ticket and I had planned on using it for the opener...... now I'm thinking of using it for a whitewater rafting trip.

I love whitewater rafting, but you can do that anytime although spring is the best time. There is only one opening day per year. There will be one this year, sooner or later.

theanswer74
06-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Thought I would bump this up to the top seeing as we are still waiting with no good news quite yet. As time goes on, how many more on the boards will start seeing this as a possible nightmare to sign our rooks?

No worry at all. It takes a day to sign an NFL free agent. The new CBA will be done late June early July, camps will open late July/early August. So teams will have plenty of time to sign rookies.

The only reason rookies take a few months to sign after the draft is because there is no deadline, so they wait for leverage. Training camp is the deadline.