PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning needs to show more leadership

T-Long
05-26-2011, 05:25 PM
If there ever was an athlete that the NFL would want to be the face of their billion dollar business, that player’s name would be Peyton Manning. Manning is the biggest name in the NFL, and his face is as recognizable as Lindsey Lohan’s is in the big house. His sponsorship list is endless and you can’t seem to turn on the TV without seeing him in at least one commercial.

Read more... (http://www.thefanhub.com/1266/elsewhere/nfl/peyton-manning-needs-to-take-leadership-role-in-new-cba.html)

EDS
05-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Flapping ones gums at the media does not constitute leadership.

G Wolly
05-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Yea he should work on his leadership skills.

So bring him here.

Novacane
05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Now, we can look at this two ways. One way is to respect Peyton Manning for keeping cool and not speaking out through the media.

This is exactly how I look at it. I don't want to hear anymore from any of the players. If he wants to show leadership he should tell DeMaurice Smith to get back to the table and get a deal both sides can live with.

Ickybaluky
05-26-2011, 08:13 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. The players, especially the stars, need to be out front talking about the lockout and giving their side of the issue. Instead, they let their lawyers give their side of the story, and it doesn't come across well.

Drew Brees is one guy who has been out there talking about the players side of trying to get a new CBA. More of the stars, like Manning in Brady, should be following his lead. It would help their case with the public.

Novacane
05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
I agree wholeheartedly. The players, especially the stars, need to be out front talking about the lockout and giving their side of the issue. Instead, they let their lawyers give their side of the story, and it doesn't come across well.

Drew Brees is one guy who has been out there talking about the players side of trying to get a new CBA. More of the stars, like Manning in Brady, should be following his lead. It would help their case with the public.

Two of the highest paid players in the game speaking out would help the players in public opinion? Very doubtful imo.

Ickybaluky
05-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Two of the highest paid players in the game speaking out would help the players in public opinion? Very doubtful imo.

Getting the players side from the players would definitely help. Instead, we hear from De Smith and his ilk and it doesn't come across well.

I think Brees has been a real leader for the players through this thing. Manning and Brady should follow his lead.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-26-2011, 08:42 PM
So bring him here.
He wants out of his contract-- as silly as it may seem, it's not out of the question. And even at 35, I'd take him.

better days
05-27-2011, 08:49 AM
ProFootball talk speculated about a week ago that Manning was keepig quiet because he does not want to say anything that may upset his commercial endeavors.

T-Long
05-27-2011, 09:19 AM
ProFootball talk speculated about a week ago that Manning was keepig quiet because he does not want to say anything that may upset his commercial endeavors.
Yeah I was hinting at that as well because I think that is playing a major role in why he hasn't been outspoken. I think he may have been persuaded to join the lawsuit and really didn't want to, mainly for that reason.

trapezeus
05-27-2011, 09:43 AM
i think if manning and brady and a couple other stars started to do the talkshow circuit and had a crafted message, they could really nail the owners.

explain it. 1. they take the injury risk
2. most players don't make it to the vested pension years.
3. they get cut from their contracts with injury or under performance so most don't see the efigures that get reported.
4. that they want football mroe than anyone else. it's just that the league has seemingly been growing exponentially and the owners have watched their team values soar from $200MM in the 90's to $800MM-$1BN now. They get money before the share. And if the model isn't broken, why should players take less?
5. Players aren't looking to get rid of the draft or cut revenue sharing or any of the things that they are being accused of. They want to play under the system that works. and that, for better or worse, is the old CBA.

I think the american public would listen to the players who aren't whining about it, but presenting a case of, "it just doesn't make sense to be tinkering with what works."

psubills62
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
He wants out of his contract-- as silly as it may seem, it's not out of the question. And even at 35, I'd take him. What exactly makes you think he wants out of his contract? Not sure it's even correct to say he has a contract, as he was franchise tagged.

mjt328
05-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Peyton Manning talking more would do. The players have their arguments and the owners have theirs. Both have good points and both have elements of greed.

I'm not siding with either. I just want something put together that benefits the NFL as a whole, and helps the Bills compete with the bigger market teams.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-27-2011, 08:53 PM
What exactly makes you think he wants out of his contract? Not sure it's even correct to say he has a contract, as he was franchise tagged.
He sued the NFL over it. There's not much more you can say about wanting out than to file legal action.

jamze132
05-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Peyton Manning has earned the right to not speak if he chooses not to. Besides, when is it EVER ok for someone involved in a case to speak about it during the process?

I seriosly do not understand what is behind this article. Is T-Long trying to just get his name out there writing about Peyton Mannings', of all people, leadership abilities? Come on man.

justasportsfan
05-31-2011, 10:56 AM
the icons of this league need to step up for the fans. Please exclude Newton. Don't want him to be "put on the spot with his notebook"

T-Long
05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
I seriosly do not understand what is behind this article. Is T-Long trying to just get his name out there writing about Peyton Mannings', of all people, leadership abilities? Come on man.

I am not trying to get my name out there by writing about Peyton Manning. So, I write about a high profile player and suddenly I am trying to make national media? No. I was reading up on the NFL lockout and realized that Peyton Manning's name is perched right atop the lawsuit, but what have we heard from him? Obviously he is a great leader on the field, but by putting his name on this type of lawsuit makes him susceptible to criticism by not coming out and commenting on this whole mess. That's all the article states. There are players around the league that are saying the same things. Not sure what your point is.

psubills62
06-01-2011, 11:12 PM
He sued the NFL over it. There's not much more you can say about wanting out than to file legal action.
I hope you're not talking about the general players lawsuit that has his name on it.

jamze132
06-02-2011, 04:41 AM
I am not trying to get my name out there by writing about Peyton Manning. So, I write about a high profile player and suddenly I am trying to make national media? No. I was reading up on the NFL lockout and realized that Peyton Manning's name is perched right atop the lawsuit, but what have we heard from him? Obviously he is a great leader on the field, but by putting his name on this type of lawsuit makes him susceptible to criticism by not coming out and commenting on this whole mess. That's all the article states. There are players around the league that are saying the same things. Not sure what your point is.
You're not a bad writer but take this advice... Not everyone who reads your articles are going to agree with you. Don't read further into it.

T-Long
06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
You're not a bad writer but take this advice... Not everyone who reads your articles are going to agree with you. Don't read further into it.
I am not naive about people liking or disliking my article. But your comment about it made absolutely no sense. You insert a dig at me saying I am trying to make a name for myself b/c I wrote an article about Peyton Manning. If you disagree with the article that's totally cool, everyone has their own opinion. But when you say something personal to me about my intentions of the article, that's when I have a problem with it.

Extremebillsfan247
06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Read more... (http://www.thefanhub.com/1266/elsewhere/nfl/peyton-manning-needs-to-take-leadership-role-in-new-cba.html)
Here is my take, what could Manning possibly say that hasn't already been said? or more importantly, in what way could it possibly change the current events other than to give the media some rhetorical, or literal nugget to chew on, or spin in a blog? I'm sure he does have an opinion on it. But I doubt seriously that his opinion would carry enough weight to end a Lockout, or force both sides back to the table to pound out a new CBA. When the time is right for him, I'm sure he will something to say. But right now he just has much bigger issues to worry about.

T-Long
06-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Here is my take, what could Manning possibly say that hasn't already been said? or more importantly, in what way could it possibly change the current events other than to give the media some rhetorical, or literal nugget to chew on, or spin in a blog? I'm sure he does have an opinion on it. But I doubt seriously that his opinion would carry enough weight to end a Lockout, or force both sides back to the table to pound out a new CBA. When the time is right for him, I'm sure he will something to say. But right now he just has much bigger issues to worry about.
and that ladies and gentlemen is how you disagree with someone else's point.

jamze132
06-03-2011, 06:17 AM
I am not naive about people liking or disliking my article. But your comment about it made absolutely no sense. You insert a dig at me saying I am trying to make a name for myself b/c I wrote an article about Peyton Manning. If you disagree with the article that's totally cool, everyone has their own opinion. But when you say something personal to me about my intentions of the article, that's when I have a problem with it.
Well why else would you post an article for the entire nation to read that calls out the best QB in the NFL? Regardless of whether or not that was your intention, that's how it came across.

T-Long
06-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Well why else would you post an article for the entire nation to read that calls out the best QB in the NFL? Regardless of whether or not that was your intention, that's how it came across.
That's how it came across to you, which I believe is the minority. I didn't "call him out", all I said was that he should be speaking out about the lockout because his name is on the lawsuit. That's like saying I write an article about Drew Brees because he is at the forefront of all of this and is very outspoken on it all. It works both ways. I am not sure if you have Sirius NFL Radio or not, but a lot of the hosts and fans have been chiming in on this subject. So, the claim that I wrote this article to get national attention is false. It's a trending topic and I gave my opinion on it. Case closed.

jamze132
06-04-2011, 01:22 AM
That's how it came across to you, which I believe is the minority. I didn't "call him out", all I said was that he should be speaking out about the lockout because his name is on the lawsuit. That's like saying I write an article about Drew Brees because he is at the forefront of all of this and is very outspoken on it all. It works both ways. I am not sure if you have Sirius NFL Radio or not, but a lot of the hosts and fans have been chiming in on this subject. So, the claim that I wrote this article to get national attention is false. It's a trending topic and I gave my opinion on it. Case closed.
I don't have any satellite radio in Germany.

It's just my opinion, I wasn't a huge fan.