PDA

View Full Version : Hangartner at the center of competition

justasportsfan
05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
A few days old but didn't see it posted yet.

"We think Eric Wood was the best center in the draft coming out," said Bills General Manager Buddy Nix at the Senior Bowl in late January. "Obviously he wasn't [fully] healthy. But when he gets healthy, there's a good chance that's where he'll be. We'll just see. We'll play the best ones."

"We think Eric Wood was the best center in the draft coming out," said Bills General Manager Buddy Nix at the Senior Bowl in late January. "Obviously he wasn't [fully] healthy. But when he gets healthy, there's a good chance that's where he'll be. We'll just see. We'll play the best ones."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article436429.ece

Night Train
05-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Even if Wood starts at C, I want to keep Hang since he can play all 3 interior positions. I'm tired of seeing a weak OL without depth. We know he's smart as hell and has decent ability.

BertSquirtgum
05-31-2011, 11:08 PM
hangartner needs to be on the bench. he can't stop a true nose tackle for the life of him. carolina had it right when they had him on the team as a back up. if you need any proof that eric wood should be starting at center, just watch the lions game from last year.

mayotm
06-01-2011, 08:06 AM
hangartner needs to be on the bench. he can't stop a true nose tackle for the life of him. carolina had it right when they had him on the team as a back up. if you need any proof that eric wood shouldn't be starting at center, just watch the lions game from last year.I'm sure you spent endless hours breaking down film of the offensive line play for that game.

OpIv37
06-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I don't get the love for Hangartner.

The fact that we can't block a 3/4 NT is a big factor in why we struggle against 3/4 teams (particularly the other 3 teams in our division). I hope Wood does provide an upgrade at the position.

Stewie
06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
was that the lions game when n-dong suh had 2 tackles and 0 sacks?

edit: sorry, he was credited with 2 solos and an assist, with one behind the line. what a great game :rolleyes:

BertSquirtgum
06-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm sure you spent endless hours breaking down film of the offensive line play for that game.

watch it and then try talk say something. he single handedly held suh in check for 95% of the game

edit: in my first post it should have said if you need any proof that wood SHOULD be starting at center....... not shouldn't. i was half in the bag last night.

OpIv37
06-01-2011, 09:42 AM
I'm sure you spent endless hours breaking down film of the offensive line play for that game.

What?

If you're implying that he's not qualified to comment because he didn't spend hours breaking down film of the game, that's an impossible standard. None of us (well, very few of us) actually spend time breaking down film, so I guess we're not qualified to comment. Why even have a message board? None of us know what we're talking about anyway.

justasportsfan
06-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't get the love for Hangartner.

the love comes from the fact that we've had horrible centers before him.

OpIv37
06-01-2011, 10:12 AM

and this goes right back to what I always say about Bills fans accepting mediocrity.

Going from horrible to mediocre meets the technical definition of an improvement, but it's not good enough.

Hangartner was a back-up in Carolina and I'd be happy to have him as a C/G back-up here, but he's not starting material.

justasportsfan
06-01-2011, 10:20 AM
and this goes right back to what I always say about Bills fans accepting mediocrity.

Going from horrible to mediocre meets the technical definition of an improvement, but it's not good enough.

Hangartner was a back-up in Carolina and I'd be happy to have him as a C/G back-up here, but he's not starting material.

haven't heard anyone say he's a probowl center or that the position can't be upgraded.

mayotm
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
What?

If you're implying that he's not qualified to comment because he didn't spend hours breaking down film of the game, that's an impossible standard. None of us (well, very few of us) actually spend time breaking down film, so I guess we're not qualified to comment. Why even have a message board? None of us know what we're talking about anyway.I'm suggesting that very few people focus on the o-line when they watch a game. It's difficult to focus on the o-line even if you wanted to due to the camera angles. I'm also suggesting that a lot of opinions get thrown around about offensive lineman that are completely baseless. That's my point.

better days
06-01-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm suggesting that very few people focus on the o-line when they watch a game. It's difficult to focus on the o-line even if you wanted to due to the camera angles. I'm also suggesting that a lot of opinions get thrown around about offensive lineman that are completely baseless. That's my point.

You would think with the cost of the Sunday ticket, they would give us an extra camera or two. The technology is available to do so.

trapezeus
06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
hopefully the bills days of jamming people in the wrong position are done.

only the bills could trade back up to the first round to take a highly graded center and shift him over a spot.

and the days of taking backups and hoping they'll be starteres will be over. hangartner is a great body to fill in at times. but he isnt' a starter. the bills need depth like him. we just can't overpay for it hoping that he'll be a stud.

Ginger Vitis
06-01-2011, 01:10 PM
only the bills could trade back up to the first round to take a highly graded center and shift him over a spot.

The Bills never traded up into the 1st Round to take Eric Wood in 2009.. The pick the bills used to take Wood in the bottom of the 1st Round was the pick they received in the Jason Peters trade

FlyingDutchman
06-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Hang was terrible at center...he constantly gets blown back into the backfield so many times its ridiculous...

streetkings01
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Typical Dick Jauron move..........draft a guy that excelled at one position to play another one.

OT Butler to OG
FS Ellison to OLB
OLB Posluszny to MLB
OC Wood to OG
CB Byrd to FS
S Harris to OLB

BertSquirtgum
06-01-2011, 09:21 PM
haven't heard anyone say he's a probowl center or that the position can't be upgraded.
it was upgraded. last year when they moved eric wood to center. they took him out because he supposedly wasn't at 100% and they didn't want anything to happen to him. i believe the bills know they have their next kent hull and he should be on the bills' roster for the next 10 or so years.

mysticsoto
06-15-2011, 10:20 AM
it was upgraded. last year when they moved eric wood to center. they took him out because he supposedly wasn't at 100% and they didn't want anything to happen to him. i believe the bills know they have their next kent hull and he should be on the bills' roster for the next 10 or so years.
Wood didn't play great last year and I was hoping that it was b'cse he wasn't fully recovered from his injury. Atlast, word on this...yep, he played injured last year. Let's hope this year, it's a whole different story!

Per rotoworld:

Bills G/C Eric Wood stated recently that he played hurt all of last season.

Rushing his way through training camp last summer, Wood never gave himself a chance to get his surgically repaired leg back to 100 percent. Wood's play fell off in his second season, but he did have two terrific games at center late in the year. Now back to 100 percent, the 2009 first-rounder should be an asset in the running game whether he lines up at center or right guard.

justasportsfan
06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Wood didn't play great last year and I was hoping that it was b'cse he wasn't fully recovered from his injury. Atlast, word on this...yep, he played injured last year. Let's hope this year, it's a whole different story!

Per rotoworld:
Eric Wood Healed and Ready for NFL Strike to End

Wood was a first-round draft pick with the Buffalo Bills and was playing well as a rookie in 2009 before he suffered a gruesome compound fracture to his left leg in November of that rookie season. Wood endured the rehab and played last season for the Bills, but he wonders if he was ever 100 percent healed.

video:
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/rickbozich/2011/06/14/eric-wood-healed-and-ready-for-nfl-strike-to-end/

scartown
06-15-2011, 04:59 PM
Woods the starter at C. There won't be much of a competition.

Mr. Pink
06-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Fowler Hang = interchangeable

Mediocre players who understand what's going on just can't perform.

cookie G
06-15-2011, 09:52 PM

Thurm did it for you

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Week-11-Film-Session---Bills-Run-Game/072ab142-4175-4492-b754-908dc276e927

justasportsfan
06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Thurm did it for you

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Week-11-Film-Session---Bills-Run-Game/072ab142-4175-4492-b754-908dc276e927

here's another one

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Top-10-Performances-Eric-Wood-vs-Detroit/8d452f9b-304e-40d0-bab4-7590572c8ed7

justasportsfan
06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Fowler Hang = interchangeable

Mediocre players who understand what's going on just can't perform.

and who decided to make Hang the center? Dick. How I wish Dick was calling the shots in terms of talent for your browns.

Mr. Pink
06-16-2011, 02:07 PM
and who decided to make Hang the center? Dick. How I wish Dick was calling the shots in terms of talent for your browns.

Who drafted Wood? Since you like to claim Dick made all the decisions on draft day.

Since you like Wood, you should be thanking Dick Jauron.

justasportsfan
06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Who drafted Wood? Since you like to claim Dick made all the decisions on draft day.

Since you like Wood, you should be thanking Dick Jauron.

OH definitely. Just when you think he got it right, he moved him to guard instead of center. :coocoo:

All of Dicks dumbass decisions like Maybin, Trent,etc. makes me forget about his drafting Wood.

cookie G
06-16-2011, 06:55 PM
OH definitely. Just when you think he got it right, he moved him to guard instead of center. :coocoo:

All of Dicks dumbass decisions like Maybin, Trent,etc. makes me forget about his drafting Wood.

1. This team needs more Eric Woods...a great combination of strength, athleticism and smarts.

2. The tape shows WHY you draft an Eric Woods..to negate the abilities of a Suh, a Wilfork, a Jenkins. I remember before that game last year someone on another site said, "I'm worried about Suh, who's going to block him. I remember saying, "this is why Woods was drafted." For a few seconds, I felt like a prophet.

But that is why, And it is why I've been so hot on upgrading the OL, instead of the duct tape approach. Both Wood and Levitre have earned their draft slot. Apply that same approach to the tackle spot and they might finally have an OL that starts beating people up.

3. I never had a problem with moving him to guard his rookie year. It was a question of line calls and experience. That question no longer exists.

It makes more sense to me to move him to center now, and Hangman to guard. Hangman won't have to worry about taking on NT's 90% of the time, and can go and get out after LB's at the 2nd level.