• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Trap's hypothetical: YOU MAKE THE CALL!

So in another thread, a hypothetical situation came to mind. Here are the details, first give me your gut reaction and then answer the 3 questions. Just curious as to what the board thinks if the UFL became a wild card player in all of this.

Scenario:
    The NFL lockout continues with little to no movement putting the season in jeopardy. Let's say it is the end of July and the UFL announces, "Las vegas loco's make offer for Cam Newton". The rumors start swirling that newton, an unsigned player could take the deal. A few other UFL teams (i don't know any other team names) start asking URFA from the NFL if they want a contract. Someone signs. Rumors continue that the players are impressed by the contract and feel the UFL is providing the benefits that the NFL won't give.

The buzz continues that some NFL players are jumping over. Others are speculating that the UFL is now ready to expand and double in size with owners and financing ready. More NFL players are rumored to make the move.

1. what do you think of the players movign to another league
    2. what do you think of the expansion
    3. is the UFL something you'd be willing to follow, or does it need to be the NFL for you to care.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Trap's hypothetical: YOU MAKE THE CALL!

Originally posted by trapezeus
    So in another thread, a hypothetical situation came to mind. Here are the details, first give me your gut reaction and then answer the 3 questions. Just curious as to what the board thinks if the UFL became a wild card player in all of this.

Scenario:
    The NFL lockout continues with little to no movement putting the season in jeopardy. Let's say it is the end of July and the UFL announces, "Las vegas loco's make offer for Cam Newton". The rumors start swirling that newton, an unsigned player could take the deal. A few other UFL teams (i don't know any other team names) start asking URFA from the NFL if they want a contract. Someone signs. Rumors continue that the players are impressed by the contract and feel the UFL is providing the benefits that the NFL won't give.

The buzz continues that some NFL players are jumping over. Others are speculating that the UFL is now ready to expand and double in size with owners and financing ready. More NFL players are rumored to make the move.

3. is the UFL something you'd be willing to follow, or does it need to be the NFL for you to care.
    Newton would never risk injury in another league and potentially blow a huge contract. His agent would never advise him to do it.

The only way this is possible is if the NFL went out of business. I don't think anyone, at any level, would just permanently give up on a 9 billion a year business.

Will UDFA's do it? yeah, I could see that. Maybe even a few third tier free agents. But any player who could make way more in the NFL won't risk it due to injury.

And at that point were talking about it being what it already is, a league made up of UDFA's and third tier FA's.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by X-Era
      Newton would never risk injury in another league and potentially blow a huge contract. His agent would never advise him to do it.

The only way this is possible is if the NFL went out of business. I don't think anyone, at any level, would just permanently give up on a 9 billion a year business.

Will UDFA's do it? yeah, I could see that. Maybe even a few third tier free agents. But any player who could make way more in the NFL won't risk it due to injury.

And at that point were talking about it being what it already is, a league made up of UDFA's and third tier FA's.
      You don't remember the WFL or even the USFL, do you?

Not saying the UFL has the money to sign some players as trap alludes to, but if they decided they could afford it players would jump, no doubt about it.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• X-Era
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat

Not saying the UFL has the money to sign some players as trap alludes to, but if they decided they could afford it players would jump, no doubt about it.
        So you already realize your hypothetical won't work? And I think you may underestimate the hesitation from players and agents to make way less and risk injury rather than just to wait it out. Risk millions just so that you can play football? Inspiring but unrealistic.

Heres my take on several concepts:

1) The NFL folds and all the players move to the UFL- No I don't think it will ever happen because no one wants the NFL to fold.
        2) The UFL becomes a new league which eventually folds into an NFL conference- Slim possibility. I don't think the UFL cities have the revenue to meet the salary floor though
        3) High profile players jump to the UFL due to the work stoppage- Probably very slim chance due to the risk of injury
        4) UDFA's and/or third tier FA's jump to the UFL due to the stoppage- Decent chance

Probably the highest profile guys that you may see are journeyman backup QB's

What I do like is the concept of farm teams and "minors".
        Last edited by X-Era; 06-01-2011, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• jcdavey
          • Dec 2006

Scenario:

i'm a chargers fan, even if they move states/countries , and decide to fire every single player

it's about the name on the front, not the one on the back

i'd be happy for the players if they wanted to jump leagues to get paid, but i'm ready for the nfl to move on without them if that's what needs to happen

i'd follow the UFL about as much as i follow college football...which isn't all that much, it would be interesting seeing players you've grown accustomed to, playing in new places, but hopefully the nfl would still be able to survive without them.

Comment

• Thief
            • Sep 2009

The UFL actually has some improvements to the standard game watching entertainment value. Their camera angles, in huddle mics, lockerroom havetime adjustment cams, etc are all pretty cool. Name recognition would go a long way in my opinion.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Well, if the UFL had a John Brown or a Donald Trump along with their egos, it could happen, but they don't so it won't.

The only way a star from college would sign with the UFL is for much more GUARANTEED money than he could get in the NFL

The UFL wants to be a minor league for the NFL & I doubt they want to do anything to antagonize the NFL.

Comment

• mjt328
                • May 2011

If I can't root for the Bills, I'm not sure I could watch football.
                2013 "My Should Have" Draft
                Posted During the 2013 Draft
                1 - (16): Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
                2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                2 - (46): Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State
                3 - (78): Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
                4 - (105): Barrett Jones, OG, Alabama
                5 - (143): Brandon Jenkins, LB, Florida State
                6 - (177): Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Tennessee Tech
                7 - (222): Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee

2013 Buddy Nix Draft
                1 - (16): E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
                2 - (41): Robert Woods, WR, USC
                2 - (46): Kiko Alonso, LB, Oregon
                3 - (78): Marquise Goodwin, WR, Texas
                4 - (105): Duke Williams, FS, Nevada
                5 - (143): Jonathan Meeks, SS, Clemson
                6 - (177): Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State
                7 - (222): Chris Gragg, TE, Arkansas

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

Interesting post... And there's little doubt in my mind that more than a few players without contarcts will sign with the UFL... But I think the CFL is a more realistic player in that sweapstakes.

The key is that it would only involve those players who do not currently have contracts with an NFL team. Just because there's no CBA doesn't mean that there's no binding agreement between player under contract and team... At least at this time.

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Whether or not the league would be successful in the long run is not part of the hypothetical. New doesn't automatically = failure either. Revisit some AFL history.

'Making way less' isn't part of the hypothetical either. That's an assumption on your part. Granted, Newton isn't going to Las Vegas for peanuts, just for the love of the game, but if a NFL-size contract is thrown at him watch him jump.

Just to go off on a quick tangent...A rookie cap is going to have a similar effect. A newbie league with loads of money with no such cap would instantly be competitive, and could drain some upper-level talent right out of the draft. It would be NFL vs AFL all over again.

True on UDFA's and lower tier FA's, and again...if the money is there some high profile guys will move. The NFL already tried farm teams in Europe and failed, but I think they would have a better chance for success in North America. Might help solve the 'should student athletes be paid?' dilemma to a certain point also.
                    Last edited by X-Era; 06-02-2011, 05:45 AM.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                      • Sep 2003

Its not all about just the first round guys, start thinking about rounds 3 and beyond. There will be some players that play in another league if this continues.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • May 2009

i just want some football. if 80% of the players decided to make a ufl league, awesome. bring on the pain.

edit: i would be against the gay easter egg colors they use for their uniforms though.
                        Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 06-01-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

I think all of the players should tll the owers to go **** themselves and then sign multi-year deals with the UFL. That would ber hilarious.

Comment

• X-Era
                            • Feb 2005

Whether or not the league would be successful in the long run is not part of the hypothetical. New doesn't automatically = failure either. Revisit some AFL history.

'Making way less' isn't part of the hypothetical either. That's an assumption on your part. Granted, Newton isn't going to Las Vegas for peanuts, just for the love of the game, but if a NFL-size contract is thrown at him watch him jump.

Just to go off on a quick tangent...A rookie cap is going to have a similar effect. A newbie league with loads of money with no such cap would instantly be competitive, and could drain some upper-level talent right out of the draft. It would be NFL vs AFL all over again.

True on UDFA's and lower tier FA's, and again...if the money is there some high profile guys will move. The NFL already tried farm teams in Europe and failed, but I think they would have a better chance for success in North America. Might help solve the 'should student athletes be paid?' dilemma to a certain point also.
                            In your first statement you realize that the UFL won;t have the money to sign some of the higher priced players. I agree

These players didn't dream to go into the UFL, they dreamed to go to the NFL. The money, fame, and level of competition is superior. Even if an NFL sized contract was thrown at him, he still wouldn't risk his shot in the NFL IMO.

Again, I think the players see the NFL as a superior league. That could change with time but not anytime soon.

I've always been a fan of it and I hope we end up with some sort of farm system.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

Doesn't the UFL pay all of it's players the same? I thought that they had a scale for each player. If so, I would think that is the exact opposite of what they are trying to accomplish with the NFL.

Comment

Working...
                              X