• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

NFL Owner hold "Secret Meetings"

The latest news : http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6617504

Has courts leaning owners way and Friday decision should create a stir.

Discuss...
    Please Make Sense
  • jcdavey
    • Dec 2006

Re: NFL Owner hold "Secret Meetings"

i'd love to see the dumb-ass players fold soon , that would be great

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

I would like to see the owners vacationing and running other business enterprises and wait for the players to fold like a tent which will happen because 75% dont have the resources that the "stars" have.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
        I would like to see the owners vacationing and running other business enterprises and wait for the players to fold like a tent which will happen because 75% dont have the resources that the "stars" have.
        Dead on. The players shouldn't be led by zillionaire QB's who have enough $$ to retire already.

I'm sure George Wilson and his ilk has a different view on the situation than Drew Brees and won't be tweeting nonsense.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

Everything hinges on Doty's court and how much in damages the NFLPA is awarded.

My bet is they get almost everything they are asking for and we have a long drawn out lockout and miss some games.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Secret meetings?

What next? Are they going to put the players on "double secret lockout"?
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• elltrain22
              • Sep 2003

Is this The Office, and is Roger Goodell, Dwight Schrute???
              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                Everything hinges on Doty's court and how much in damages the NFLPA is awarded.

My bet is they get almost everything they are asking for and we have a long drawn out lockout and miss some games.
                Even if Doty to award them damages, the NFL will appeal and it will take years to work out in the courts. It isn't like they will see any money in the next few years, which means they are in trouble the longer the lockout drags on.

A protracted lockout is not good for the players, because they have guys that need the money. That is why they tried to get it blocked. If the court rules to allow the lockout, the NFLPA will negotiate, because holding out for a long time does not make sense for them.

I'm not saying it is fair, but that is the facts. The Doty ruling really doesn't tilt the advantage.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

i want the owners to get slapped around. billionaires who take out $1bn from the shared pool. So effectively the players get 53% of revenues through UNguaranteed contracts.

the CBA was fine the way it was with rising revenues, something the league did during the worst economic times. furthermore most teams raised ticket prices during that time.

What leg do owners have to stand on to say they need to change it now?

And the NFL has enjoyed years of congressional support. the games are supposed to be provided for free yet they've bent the rules to let the NFL ticket get distributed for a ridiculous price.

They've been gouging us for years. it's time that they start shutting up and paying their fair share.

Comment

• theanswer74
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by trapezeus
                    i want the owners to get slapped around. billionaires who take out $1bn from the shared pool. So effectively the players get 53% of revenues through UNguaranteed contracts.

the CBA was fine the way it was with rising revenues, something the league did during the worst economic times. furthermore most teams raised ticket prices during that time.

What leg do owners have to stand on to say they need to change it now?

And the NFL has enjoyed years of congressional support. the games are supposed to be provided for free yet they've bent the rules to let the NFL ticket get distributed for a ridiculous price.

They've been gouging us for years. it's time that they start shutting up and paying their fair share.
                    You dont want the owners to lose if you want the Bills to remain in Buffalo.

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Multiple reports say DeMaurice Smith and other union officials were there. Getting together of their own accord is pretty significant

Initial reports of the clandestine Chicago-area meeting involving multiple owners and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell omitted reference to one key attendee.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• DraftBoy
                        Administrator
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ickybaluky
                        Even if Doty to award them damages, the NFL will appeal and it will take years to work out in the courts. It isn't like they will see any money in the next few years, which means they are in trouble the longer the lockout drags on.

A protracted lockout is not good for the players, because they have guys that need the money. That is why they tried to get it blocked. If the court rules to allow the lockout, the NFLPA will negotiate, because holding out for a long time does not make sense for them.

I'm not saying it is fair, but that is the facts. The Doty ruling really doesn't tilt the advantage.
                        Somebody said that if the Doty ruling goes to the players, the owners would need an immediate injunction to stop the money being paid. Otherwise the players would get the money and if the appeal overturns it they owe it back.

Not sure how true that is though.
                        COMING SOON...
                        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by theanswer74
                          You dont want the owners to lose if you want the Bills to remain in Buffalo.
                          I don't buy that at all. The NFL owners make the lionshare of their money from the TV contracts which are split equally.

the good people of WNY have given ralph a free place to have business. he doesn't own any expenses on the stadium and takes out all the profit.

What he lags in corporate suites, he makes up in parking, food, toronto, etc.

The TV deals get signed based on perceived interest. Buffalo, while less robust compared to other cities, has a huge following and is key in providing that perception that football runs deep in the average american's blood.

There is simply no reason that the city of buffalo loses its football team due to the CBA. This is simply a talking point from the owners who are trying to scare the fans into siding with them.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy
                            Somebody said that if the Doty ruling goes to the players, the owners would need an immediate injunction to stop the money being paid. Otherwise the players would get the money and if the appeal overturns it they owe it back.

Not sure how true that is though.
                            I have read it would be subject to appeal to the same Circuit Court in St. Louis. I even read the owners hope that Doty awards the players a huge sum of money because they feel that will make it easier to overturn on appeal.

If it is appealed, the players don't get the money. Instead the owners will appeal, and it will not be expedited like the lockout appeal is. It will just drag out and the money remains in holding, with neither side getting it.

Both sides are going to come to their senses soon and reach a deal anyway. This was never about the court case, it was about leverage in negotiations. Eventually, both sides want a new CBA.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Philagape
                              Multiple reports say DeMaurice Smith and other union officials were there. Getting together of their own accord is pretty significant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-with-owners/
                              Yeah, I'm surprised nobody else has commented on this fact. I read about this on ProFootballtalk.com. This can only be good news.

Comment

Working...
                              X