PDA

View Full Version : NFL Owner hold "Secret Meetings"

Mike
06-02-2011, 01:18 AM
The latest news : http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6617504

Has courts leaning owners way and Friday decision should create a stir.

Discuss...

jcdavey
06-02-2011, 01:48 AM
i'd love to see the dumb-ass players fold soon , that would be great

alohabillsfan
06-02-2011, 05:36 AM
I would like to see the owners vacationing and running other business enterprises and wait for the players to fold like a tent which will happen because 75% dont have the resources that the "stars" have.

Night Train
06-02-2011, 05:39 AM
I would like to see the owners vacationing and running other business enterprises and wait for the players to fold like a tent which will happen because 75% dont have the resources that the "stars" have.

Dead on. The players shouldn't be led by zillionaire QB's who have enough $$ to retire already.

I'm sure George Wilson and his ilk has a different view on the situation than Drew Brees and won't be tweeting nonsense.

DraftBoy
06-02-2011, 07:32 AM
Everything hinges on Doty's court and how much in damages the NFLPA is awarded.

My bet is they get almost everything they are asking for and we have a long drawn out lockout and miss some games.

OpIv37
06-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Secret meetings?

What next? Are they going to put the players on "double secret lockout"?

elltrain22
06-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Is this The Office, and is Roger Goodell, Dwight Schrute???

Ickybaluky
06-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Everything hinges on Doty's court and how much in damages the NFLPA is awarded.

My bet is they get almost everything they are asking for and we have a long drawn out lockout and miss some games.

Even if Doty to award them damages, the NFL will appeal and it will take years to work out in the courts. It isn't like they will see any money in the next few years, which means they are in trouble the longer the lockout drags on.

A protracted lockout is not good for the players, because they have guys that need the money. That is why they tried to get it blocked. If the court rules to allow the lockout, the NFLPA will negotiate, because holding out for a long time does not make sense for them.

I'm not saying it is fair, but that is the facts. The Doty ruling really doesn't tilt the advantage.

trapezeus
06-02-2011, 08:28 AM
i want the owners to get slapped around. billionaires who take out $1bn from the shared pool. So effectively the players get 53% of revenues through UNguaranteed contracts.

the CBA was fine the way it was with rising revenues, something the league did during the worst economic times. furthermore most teams raised ticket prices during that time.

What leg do owners have to stand on to say they need to change it now?

And the NFL has enjoyed years of congressional support. the games are supposed to be provided for free yet they've bent the rules to let the NFL ticket get distributed for a ridiculous price.

They've been gouging us for years. it's time that they start shutting up and paying their fair share.

theanswer74
06-02-2011, 09:17 AM
i want the owners to get slapped around. billionaires who take out $1bn from the shared pool. So effectively the players get 53% of revenues through UNguaranteed contracts.

the CBA was fine the way it was with rising revenues, something the league did during the worst economic times. furthermore most teams raised ticket prices during that time.

What leg do owners have to stand on to say they need to change it now?

And the NFL has enjoyed years of congressional support. the games are supposed to be provided for free yet they've bent the rules to let the NFL ticket get distributed for a ridiculous price.

They've been gouging us for years. it's time that they start shutting up and paying their fair share.

You dont want the owners to lose if you want the Bills to remain in Buffalo.

Philagape
06-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Multiple reports say DeMaurice Smith and other union officials were there. Getting together of their own accord is pretty significant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/02/reports-de-smith-attended-not-so-secret-meeting-with-owners/

DraftBoy
06-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Even if Doty to award them damages, the NFL will appeal and it will take years to work out in the courts. It isn't like they will see any money in the next few years, which means they are in trouble the longer the lockout drags on.

A protracted lockout is not good for the players, because they have guys that need the money. That is why they tried to get it blocked. If the court rules to allow the lockout, the NFLPA will negotiate, because holding out for a long time does not make sense for them.

I'm not saying it is fair, but that is the facts. The Doty ruling really doesn't tilt the advantage.

Somebody said that if the Doty ruling goes to the players, the owners would need an immediate injunction to stop the money being paid. Otherwise the players would get the money and if the appeal overturns it they owe it back.

Not sure how true that is though.

trapezeus
06-02-2011, 10:51 AM

I don't buy that at all. The NFL owners make the lionshare of their money from the TV contracts which are split equally.

the good people of WNY have given ralph a free place to have business. he doesn't own any expenses on the stadium and takes out all the profit.

What he lags in corporate suites, he makes up in parking, food, toronto, etc.

The TV deals get signed based on perceived interest. Buffalo, while less robust compared to other cities, has a huge following and is key in providing that perception that football runs deep in the average american's blood.

There is simply no reason that the city of buffalo loses its football team due to the CBA. This is simply a talking point from the owners who are trying to scare the fans into siding with them.

Ickybaluky
06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Somebody said that if the Doty ruling goes to the players, the owners would need an immediate injunction to stop the money being paid. Otherwise the players would get the money and if the appeal overturns it they owe it back.

Not sure how true that is though.

I have read it would be subject to appeal to the same Circuit Court in St. Louis. I even read the owners hope that Doty awards the players a huge sum of money because they feel that will make it easier to overturn on appeal.

If it is appealed, the players don't get the money. Instead the owners will appeal, and it will not be expedited like the lockout appeal is. It will just drag out and the money remains in holding, with neither side getting it.

Both sides are going to come to their senses soon and reach a deal anyway. This was never about the court case, it was about leverage in negotiations. Eventually, both sides want a new CBA.

better days
06-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Multiple reports say DeMaurice Smith and other union officials were there. Getting together of their own accord is pretty significant

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/02/reports-de-smith-attended-not-so-secret-meeting-with-owners/

Yeah, I'm surprised nobody else has commented on this fact. I read about this on ProFootballtalk.com. This can only be good news.

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2011, 01:35 PM
What he lags in corporate suites, he makes up in parking, food, toronto, etc.

Not really. The parking costs less in Buffalo than most cities. So does the food. The only thing he has is Toronto. And that does not even close to making up for corporate suites, PSLs and the corporate advertising money that he does not get.

madness
06-02-2011, 02:43 PM
If we don't get a season, I want merchandising behind this whole thing. Why the heck can't I order an owners jersey yet?

Stewie
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM

lose what?

the bills don't lose money.

Philagape
06-02-2011, 03:42 PM
So apparently this was mediation organized by a third party after all, not an impromptu thing

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2011, 03:44 PM
lose what?

the bills don't lose money.
They also do not have enough cash flow to make the other owners happy

better days
06-02-2011, 03:53 PM
They also do not have enough cash flow to make the other owners happy

I don't think that is true. The only money owners share in aside from TV money is the money from tickets sold.

Each owner keeps all money from the private boxes & premium seating in their stadiums.

The Bills do a good job of selling tickets, so other owners are probably happy with that.

Extremebillsfan247
06-02-2011, 04:34 PM

A quote from the following article on this topic, One high ranking member of the former union estimated to me a new deal would be reached within two to three weeks, if not sooner. “This is the most optimistic I’ve been in many months,” he said.
http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/29747070?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

Philagape
06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
This may be even bigger:

Next week's mediation has been canceled, because the court says “it is engaged in confidential settlement talks with the parties.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/02/next-weeks-mediation-session-has-been-canceled/

X-Era
06-02-2011, 05:57 PM
This may be even bigger:

Next week's mediation has been canceled, because the court says “it is engaged in confidential settlement talks with the parties.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/02/next-weeks-mediation-session-has-been-canceled/Correct me if I'm wrong but this may be the first time that we have heard that the players have even talked settlement in the framework of getting a deal done.

Throughout the entire process they have simply outright rejected the owners proposals. They have not engaged in settlement discussions and to my knowledge have not made a single counter-proposal.

X-Era
06-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Not a fan of this comment:

"Multiple sources familiar with this week's discussions tell CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that "significant headway" had been made toward a new labor agreement.

Both sides are still cautioning that talks could fall apart at a moment's notice, but optimism is breaking through for the first time since early March. This week's talks have been more productive than all preceding mediation discussions combined, according to one source in the NFLPA. That progress has been chalked up to three primary factors: the absence of lawyers (specifically Jeff Pash, whom the players "despise"), the ability of Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones to soften hard-line, small-market owners, and De Smith ratcheting up negotiations at the players' request"

From: http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?r=1

The last thing I want is the big money owners to cave and force a bad new deal on small market teams like the Bills. The NFL needs to keep the cap lower to stay truly competitive. Unless they make up the gap in what we can spend and where the salary cap is. IMO, softening should be putting your money where your mouth is.

And the last thing I want is to yet again let the Pats sleaze out of having to deal with the downside of having a top 5 QB as far as the salary cap goes... Brady finally got the money for his play, and the Pats should have to deal with the downsides of what that means. The concept of limited cap should restrict teams from building powerhouses with a top 5 paid QB and many other high paid players. You should have to make choices where keeping a top 5 anything restricts what you can do in other areas... or revenue sharing should even the playing field.

Extremebillsfan247
06-02-2011, 06:12 PM

"Multiple sources familiar with this week's discussions tell CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman that "significant headway" had been made toward a new labor agreement.

Both sides are still cautioning that talks could fall apart at a moment's notice, but optimism is breaking through for the first time since early March. This week's talks have been more productive than all preceding mediation discussions combined, according to one source in the NFLPA. That progress has been chalked up to three primary factors: the absence of lawyers (specifically Jeff Pash, whom the players "despise"), the ability of Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones to soften hard-line, small-market owners, and De Smith ratcheting up negotiations at the players' request"

The last thing I want is the big money owners to cave and force a bad new deal on small market teams like the Bills. The NFL needs to keep the cap lower to stay truly competitive.

And the last thing I want is to yet again let the Pats sleaze out of having to deal with the downside of having a top 5 QB as far as the salary cap goes... Brady finally got the money for his play, and the Pats should have to deal with the downsides of what that means.
How did they soften Ralph up? "We'll let you beat the Patriots once, but Brady won't be playing", ? lol joking.

X-Era
06-02-2011, 06:15 PM
How did they soften Ralph up? "We'll let you beat the Patriots once, but Brady won't be playing", ? lol joking.I know your joking but that's a good question. It makes the most sense that it would have been in some assurance of additional monies as far as revenue sharing goes. Just an assumption. I think we sometime forget that it's not a given that the owners will vote to accept the new CBA that Jones and Kraft (for example agree with the NFLPA on). Revenue sharing is a whole new issue that likely isn't even discussed until they have the rough CBA done.

BTW, Clayton says 4 weeks to get a decision on tomorrows hearing... that puts us into July... and follows more in line with my notion that time is running out to save the season.

Extremebillsfan247
06-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I know your joking but that's a good question. It makes the most sense that it would have been in some assurance of additional monies as far as revenue sharing goes. Just an assumption. I think we sometime forget that it's not a given that the owners will vote to accept the new CBA that Jones and Kraft (for example agree with the NFLPA on). Revenue sharing is a whole new issue that likely isn't even discussed until they have the rough CBA done.

BTW, Clayton says 4 weeks to get a decision on tomorrows hearing... that puts us into July... and follows more in line with my notion that time is running out to save the season.
I'm starting to think a deal in principal will be ironed out between owners and players before then. If its true that players are starting to push De Smith into attempting some sort of settlement, it could be over very soon. Like you said though, it will probably depend on the rest of the owners who are currently not involved in these sessions as it moves from the negotiation process to a final vote. Hopefully it all goes well this time. We've been at this position before back at the beginning of March and it fell apart. So I'm optimistic that this cloud will soon break, but keeping my umbrella close just in case. lol

YardRat
06-02-2011, 08:00 PM

The last thing I want is the big money owners to cave and force a bad new deal on small market teams like the Bills. The NFL needs to keep the cap lower to stay truly competitive. Unless they make up the gap in what we can spend and where the salary cap is. IMO, softening should be putting your money where your mouth is.

And the last thing I want is to yet again let the Pats sleaze out of having to deal with the downside of having a top 5 QB as far as the salary cap goes... Brady finally got the money for his play, and the Pats should have to deal with the downsides of what that means. The concept of limited cap should restrict teams from building powerhouses with a top 5 paid QB and many other high paid players. You should have to make choices where keeping a top 5 anything restricts what you can do in other areas... or revenue sharing should even the playing field.

Jones stated a couple of weeks ago (paraphrasing) "I didn't build a 1.5 billion dollar stadium to have it sit empty...We'll get a deal done."

I don't trust that greedy bastard one iota to act in the best interests of the entire league.

X-Era
06-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Jones stated a couple of weeks ago (paraphrasing) "I didn't build a 1.5 billion dollar stadium to have it sit empty...We'll get a deal done."

I don't trust that greedy bastard one iota to act in the best interests of the entire league.He could easily fill it with people that don't like him.

Mike
06-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Its all a ploy. Who ever wins the decision gets the upper hand. For the players its not about winning this money, its about getting a favorable CBA. The last thing the owners want is a Non-Union League, which would destroy the way the NFL is today. Who ever wins, get the upper hand, and the ability to have a new CBA go their way.

Spiderweb
06-03-2011, 01:11 AM
[QUOTE=jcdavey]i'd love to see the dumb-ass players fold soon , that would be great[/QUOTE

******************** groan ******************