PDA

View Full Version : Who was the better QB?

YardRat
06-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Sonny Jurgenson or Bart Starr?
Dan Fouts or Terry Bradshaw?
Dan Marino or Joe Montana?
Peyton Manning or Tom Brady?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-05-2011, 07:44 AM
starr
bradshaw
montana
brady

see rings (although i dont know if starr has one?)

sam5767
06-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I don't think you can go by just rings, otherwise Trent Dilfer is better than Marino. Rings also product of team...see Brady early in career when the Pats defense just as responsible for the wins.....my picks based on my opinion of the QB skills....not just rings.

Didn't see either Starr or Jurgensen play, so won't comment on either

Fouts: was much better QB than Bradshaw...Bradshaw was not very accurate....and was kind of a product of his team....Fouts made the Chargers what they were in early 80's (I still painfully recall that 50 yr TD with @2 minutes left in 80 playoff game...)

Montana: this was tough as Marino to me better pure passer, better arm, but Montana better scrambler/improviser...could go either way but seems that Montana gets the nod here due to post season success

Manning: because I can't stand Brady...lol...but seriously, Manning I think has better arm...slightly better field general...and has done well despite 3 different HC....both are great QB's, but Manning reminds me more of Kelly than Brady...and Kelly was the best (ok...my bias showing here..lol)

Again...the above is my opinion....

Ingtar33
06-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Starr
Fouts
Montana
Manning

Historian
06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Starr Fouts Montana Brady

Best of all time Elway

YardRat
06-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Starr Fouts Montana Brady

Best of all time Elway

Really?

Mr. Pink
06-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Sonny
Fouts
Marino
Brady

Mr. Pink
06-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Really?

Elway carried the 86-89 Broncos on his back alone on offense.

That team had very little offensive talent when they went to 3 Superbowls in 4 years.

Of course, they couldn't win because they ran into vastly superior NFC teams.

Elway is the best QB I've ever personally seen, not just highlights, play.

Mr. Miyagi
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Starr
Fouts
Montana
Manning
:bf1:

DraftBoy
06-05-2011, 12:03 PM

I only saw the second two and Ill go with;

Montana over Marino
Manning over Brady

Jan Reimers
06-05-2011, 12:18 PM
As pure throwers of the ball, it's:
Jurgenson
Fouts
Marino
Manning

ServoBillieves
06-05-2011, 01:07 PM
<hr style="color:#F3F3FF" size="1"> Bart Starr
Dan Fouts
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning

Billz_fan
06-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Being born in 1959 I was able to see them all play although when Star retired in 71 I was 11. Still at age 11 I was a crazy football fan. I used to wear my uniform watching games as a kid :laughter:

Anyway.........

Bart Star,

never saw Sonny as upper top tier though he had his moments. He was a beer gutted gun slinger and a leader. His career with the skins was always on again off again and he ended up sharing a lot of playing time with Billy Kilmer later on. Mos tof the time Sonny was in trouble with the coach or team for his off field night life fun.

Dan Fouts,

This one is more of a pick from the heart. Bradshaw has all the glory and rings but Fout's was so much more fun to watch. Bradshaw was surrounded by talent and benefited from better teams. Especially on defense. Had Fout's Chargers ever had a defense history would be written differently. The passing offense of the Chargers "pass first" philosophy was a pure joy to watch and Dan Fouts was the perfect QB to run it. He was one of the most competetive players ever. He was always yelling at his receivers and linemen etc. Take him any day of the week.

Joe Montana...

Marino was a great QB but this match up is almost unfair. Montana is who I consider the greatest ever. I personally saw Marino in many many games he played at the Ralph and he was an incredible passer that made you go wow when he threw a pass. Montana has all the advantages though in teams he played on, SB Rings, Comebacks and even his college career is better than most everyone elses. I was a big ND fan as a kid and Montana was incredible. Everyone knows what you mean when you talk about the Cotton Bowl game against Houston.

Peyton Manning

Brady and Manning can go either way depending on what you like. I don't think we have seen a smarter more hard working QB than Peyton Manning. Brady I have always considered a product of Bellicheats system. He is a great QB but Im not sure he shares the same career success he has now if he goes anywhere else. I think Peyton Manning would be great on any team.

YardRat
06-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Regular season stats v. championships.

Jurgenson led his league in passing 5 of 9 seasons, from '61 to '69 and nobody else was even close (Blanda, Brodie, Namath & Hadl twice). Starr, however, was collecting rings.

Fouts led the league in passing four straight seasons, and is one of the more prolific throwers in league history. Bradshaw has championships and never led the league.

Marino/Montana...See Fouts/Bradshaw.

Manning/Brady are a little bit different...Both have led the league in passing multiple times, and both have at least one ring. Neither won a championship, though, during their more prolific regular seasons.

mjt328
06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I didn't see the first two groups.

Personally, I always thought Dan Marino was better than Joe Montana. I consider Super Bowl rings a team accomplishment, and that was Montana's primary claim to fame.
Montana had Bill Walsh and an offense that was incredibly innovative for its time. He had Jerry Rice, probably the best wide receiver of all time. The rest of the players on his offense (John Taylor, Roger Craig) were pretty good too.
Marino had nobody around him. No running game. Nobody special calling plays on offense. He made the Marks brothers into decent players. To make matters worse, during his prime, the Dolphins had to compete every year with the more superior Buffalo Bills in the AFC East. Most of the time, they entered the playoffs as a wildcard team and didn't have a chance to reach the championship.

In the same way, I don't think Tom Brady is even in Peyton Manning's league. In my opinion, Manning is the greatest quarterback to ever play the game.
THE PROBLEM is that the Colts are seriously outcoached every year in the playoffs (often by the Patriots). There are ways to stop the "no huddle" offense, and Belichek knows all the tricks. Indianapolis seems like it hasn't caught on yet. So they usually choke in the big games.
I also think Brady's legacy is seriously tainted by the Tuck Game (he should have never went to that first Super Bowl) and the cheating scandal.

tampabay25690
06-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Really?

I think ELWAY was as well...

tampabay25690
06-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Wow some of you guys over annalyze

Starr
Bradshaw
Montana
Manning

Buddo
06-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Only having seen Montana and Marino much, and Manning and Brady obviously, I'm going with Montana and Manning.
Montana is the QB you would want to have, to win a game, if your life depended on it.
'Clutch' was probably invented to describe his performances. There got to a stage, if you watched many of his games, that if the 49ers needed a score with anything above a minute left to play, you assumed Montana was going to do it. It was a surprise if he didn't - because it didn't occur very often.
Manning over Brady, because he takes so much on his shoulders, and usually manages to come through. Brady has the benefit of an exceptional coach behind him, and while I don't think he's solely a product of a 'system', I'd say Manning might look the same on many teams, whereas Brady wouldn't.

Spiderweb
06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Sonny J was far superior of a thrower than Starr, who became Kilmer's backup late in his career when George Allen became HC. Kilmer was a pitiful excuse for a QB, but Allen liked him. Sonny was a free thinker, who enjoyed a party and a drink. Yet, there were moments when Allen called on Sonny to rescue a game, when kilmer was stinking the joint up, and Sonny came thru more often than not. On talent, pot belly and all, Sonny J beats out Starr (who still was a fine QB).

Luisito23
06-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Wow some of you guys over annalyze

Starr
Bradshaw
Montana
Manning

:hi5:

Extremebillsfan247
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Jurgenson and Starr were both before my time.
Fouts was a better QB than Bradshaw
Ill have to roll with Marino over Montana.
Peyton Manning over Brady.
This is based on my opinion and not actual data. I've watched most of these QBs in action, so I drew from that experience only.

elltrain22
06-10-2011, 10:41 PM

1. Bart Starr

2. Bradshaw- he won 4 super bowls, period.

3. Montana- comperable stats, but he actually won the big game, alot!! No brainer!!

4. Tough call, but probably Brady b/c of the 3 super bowls.

Syderick
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Bart Starr
Terry Bradshaw
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning