PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down the tight ends: Buffalo

justasportsfan
06-06-2011, 11:32 AM
The Bills clearly rank last in the AFC East at tight end. It is a real area of weakness for Buffalo, and adding a good option there could really help this offense.

Amazingly, Jonathan Stupar’s 12 catches led all Buffalo tight ends last season. He doesn’t excel in any area of playing the position, though. His blocking is suspect, and his receiving skills are far from special. He has only 18 catches over his three-year career. Stupar should be a backup.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/29288/breaking-down-the-tight-ends-buffalo

psubills62
06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
I think you have the wrong link, there, justa.

trapezeus
06-06-2011, 11:37 AM
if the bills believe they have a decent WR corp and catching ability out of the backfield, why do we even need a TE? Why not just get another linemen to chip in and help out?

Especially knowing that gailey doesn't really utilize a TE. just a question, not an antagonizing comment looking to piss people off.

Figster
06-06-2011, 11:44 AM
if the bills believe they have a decent WR corp and catching ability out of the backfield, why do we even need a TE? Why not just get another linemen to chip in and help out?

Especially knowing that gailey doesn't really utilize a TE. just a question, not an antagonizing comment looking to piss people off.

To work across the middle of the football field properly and give our signal caller a big target/security blanket.

psubills62
06-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I just don't understand why you wouldn't use a TE. If you can find a good one (not necessarily a great one - a good one would suffice), they can create matchup problems with their versatility.

With what trap mentioned and the way Gailey seems to go about it, you need two bodies to do what one good TE should be able to do. If you put an extra OT out there, he's obviously going to solely block (except maybe the once a year pass to throw people off). If you put David Nelson out there, he's probably not going to be blocking, just receiving.

If you can get a 260 pound athletic guy who can block OR catch, then it creates confusion. Look at Rob Gronkowski. The guy is good at blocking, helping the Pats have a very good run game, but is also a downfield threat receiving. Just having the option of either/or can be useful.

DraftBoy
06-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I can break down our TE's real easy;

they suck.

mysticsoto
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I just don't understand why you wouldn't use a TE. If you can find a good one (not necessarily a great one - a good one would suffice), they can create matchup problems with their versatility.

With what trap mentioned and the way Gailey seems to go about it, you need two bodies to do what one good TE should be able to do. If you put an extra OT out there, he's obviously going to solely block (except maybe the once a year pass to throw people off). If you put David Nelson out there, he's probably not going to be blocking, just receiving.

If you can get a 260 pound athletic guy who can block OR catch, then it creates confusion. Look at Rob Gronkowski. The guy is good at blocking, helping the Pats have a very good run game, but is also a downfield threat receiving. Just having the option of either/or can be useful.

I would guess that's why they got and are happy with Scott Chandler. He's a sort of mini-Olineman at 270 lbs. But at 6'7", he can also go out and catch so you can't totally discount him either. My guess is, he will likely block more often than not, but if they start ignoring him to cover others, he could be sent out and make them pay for it.

psubills62
06-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I would guess that's why they got and are happy with Scott Chandler. He's a sort of mini-Olineman at 270 lbs. But at 6'7", he can also go out and catch so you can't totally discount him either. My guess is, he will likely block more often than not, but if they start ignoring him to cover others, he could be sent out and make them pay for it.
Just because he can catch doesn't mean he can create mismatches or stretch the field. I'm talking about a guy who can punish LB's when he blocks and when he's running routes. Not just a guy who can go for 4 YPC.

trapezeus
06-06-2011, 01:55 PM
ok, but with our line, isn't it worth having the extra protection all the time until we have 5 linemen that we trust can create 4 second pockets without additional help?

i think an extra ot could help create running lanes more than having an average blocker and a decent pass catching TE with where the team is now.

if we had a great line, then i'd say, let's fill in that missing piece.

mysticsoto
06-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Just because he can catch doesn't mean he can create mismatches or stretch the field. I'm talking about a guy who can punish LB's when he blocks and when he's running routes. Not just a guy who can go for 4 YPC.

Talk to Gailey, not me. He's the one not interested in using TEs. I'm just stating what I think he's thinking and wants to accomplish. Originally I wanted Kyle Rudolph in the draft who I thought could create great mismatches! But after thinking about how Gailey runs things, I changed my mind.

mysticsoto
06-06-2011, 02:46 PM
ok, but with our line, isn't it worth having the extra protection all the time until we have 5 linemen that we trust can create 4 second pockets without additional help?

i think an extra ot could help create running lanes more than having an average blocker and a decent pass catching TE with where the team is now.

if we had a great line, then i'd say, let's fill in that missing piece.

Just remember that great protection (extra lineman) means someone extra for coverage that they can have.

trapezeus
06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Just remember that great protection (extra lineman) means someone extra for coverage that they can have.

and with a good running back in freddie, a highly talented spiller who needs to see the field, they can get them on draw plays and swing outs.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
and with a good running back in freddie, a highly talented spiller who needs to see the field, they can get them on draw plays and swing outs.

Still not a given. Our Oline needs to prove it can run block well enough to open holes for our RBs. Spiller needs to prove he has the vision.

justasportsfan
06-09-2011, 10:14 AM
2011 will be Chandler's best shot yet

“He’s a physical kid in terms of his size. He can run. He can be a physical matchup against the people he’s running routes against just with his size,” said Bicknell. “He catches the ball very naturally. He can move. He was a good blocker. He’s got some things he can work on there, but he really did a good job for us as a point of attack type of guy. He kind of gives us a little bit of both where he can be a pass receiver and also a run blocker.”

Bicknell believes Chandler’s most important asset is his ability to handle defensive ends in the blocking game, while also having enough athletic ability to create mismatches underneath in the passing game.

“He’s an at the point of attack run blocker that can hold the point against big defensive ends. It’s the toughest matchup in the NFL in my opinion, the tight end against the defensive end. Those athletes over there are as good as any in our league, so he’s able to hold the point against them and he’s also able to get downfield and catch the ball when it’s thrown to him,” Bicknell said. “I know he had one catch that I remember against Miami. It was a little flat route where he catches the ball and turns it up and gets a first down. That’s the type of player that we need.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/2011-will-be-Chandlers-best-shot-yet/16639031-20a5-4ae1-9988-6799f39d0839

IMissKelly
06-11-2011, 10:37 AM
TEs are a supposed to be a safe choice in the passing game if the WRs cant get open. Unfortuantely our TEs can barely catach let alone block. I like the suggestion of Zach Miller mentioned in the link but i dont see oakland letting him loose.