PDA

View Full Version : Should we re-sign Poz?

mjt328
06-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Full Article:
http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-paul-posluszny.html

Some believe he's a consistently good player that always seems to be near
the ball, racking up tons of tackles despite a weak cast around him. Others
say he's a liability, playing a primary position (inside linebacker) on one of
the worst running defenses in the league.

Both the Bills front office and Poz have expressed interest in
re-signing. But as usual, a major factor will be money. Posluszny's rookie
contract made him a total of $4.75 million in four years, combined. On the
open market, he's expected to command closer to $5 million per year.

Extremebillsfan247
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
They should resign him if they can get him.

bf1
06-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Vet min.

User Manuel
06-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Full Article:
http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-paul-posluszny.html

Yes, he has been solid, not spectacular and we could use more solid on this team for now. I'd give him a 3 year deal with a good raise, he has been productive when healthy. If someone breaks the bank with an offer then say hello to free agency.

generalmills
06-06-2011, 03:18 PM
I think he gets a contract that many of us will believe to be too high, nothing outlandish though. Potential that we have not seen pan out is worth another chance. I Think Poz will be back.

OpIv37
06-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Absolutely not.

Poz is the old guard- a guy who never lived up to the hype or the draft position. Guys like him and Whitner are the mistakes this team needs to correct if we're ever going to get out of this quagmire we've been in for the last 10 years.

On a more practical level, he doesn't turn his hips well in pass coverage and can't shed a block to save his life. He literally gets swallowed up by offensive linemen when they get to the 2nd level. The guy is average, maybe slightly above average at best. We can do better.

And I know it's coming, so before anyone says "he'd be better if he had better players around him," it's a team game. That's true of EVERY player.

mayotm
06-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Absolutely not.

Poz is the old guard- a guy who never lived up to the hype or the draft position. Guys like him and Whitner are the mistakes this team needs to correct if we're ever going to get out of this quagmire we've been in for the last 10 years.

On a more practical level, he doesn't turn his hips well in pass coverage and can't shed a block to save his life. He literally gets swallowed up by offensive linemen when they get to the 2nd level. The guy is average, maybe slightly above average at best. We can do better.

And I know it's coming, so before anyone says "he'd be better if he had better players around him," it's a team game. That's true of EVERY player.If he's "slightly above average" isn't he worth keeping around at the right price? Losing him would create another hole that won't necessarily be filled by something better. I'm on the fence. Basically, ok either way.

justasportsfan
06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I think he gets a contract that many of us will believe to be too high, nothing outlandish though. Potential that we have not seen pan out is worth another chance. I Think Poz will be back.

Yup, he seems to be another Kelsay. Very forgetful on the field but the FO loves their character.

bf1
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
High motor. Blue collar.

trapezeus
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
he is servicable and decent depth. You pay for him until better, proven players come around.

this is the bed we've made. cutting him without decent depth at LB is a mistake, unless the solution is to poach a high end LB this year.

Michael82
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Poz would have already re-signed with the Bills if they didn't have that salary increase rule in the 2010 CBA, IMO.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
i think we might be able to do better with a fa, someone who is bigger and better at shedding blocks. could also be cheaper too.

wouldnt be upset if they resigned him though, he can go sideline to sideline.

OpIv37
06-06-2011, 03:35 PM
If he's "slightly above average" isn't he worth keeping around at the right price? Losing him would create another hole that won't necessarily be filled by something better. I'm on the fence. Basically, ok either way.

I think this is one of those situations where getting rid of him makes a statement about the old guard and underachievers. If it's a downgrade, it won't be much of one. And hopefully having guys like a more experienced Troup and Dareus on the DL will make the ILB's job easier.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Brandon siler could be cheaper and better

OpIv37
06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
High motor. Blue collar.

translation: he's white and plays defense.

EDS
06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Poz is the best linebacker the Bills have. That does not mean he is great, but certaintly better than anything else and losing him would just create another hole that we hope a rookie can fill - because if they can't we would be stuck with more veteran retreads.

YardRat
06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
You look at the POS's "highlights" and compare them to somebody like Jerod Mayo and the differences are disgusting. The guy isn't going to get any better unless you surround him with studs, and if you're going to do that just about anybody could fill the position so why pony up the big bucks?

If he's looking for a reasonable contract, go ahead and sign him but work on getting somebody better (which really shouldn't be that difficult) to take his spot in the starting line-up. If he's looking to break the bank, let him go elsewhere.

SABURZFAN
06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
High motor. Blue collar.

brittle arms....

THRILLHO
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Why create another hole? Re-sign him when we are allowed to. We dont know what free agency is going to look like and we already drafted. He's been under Gailey's system for a year so he has knowledge.

ServoBillieves
06-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Absolutely resign him. As stated before, he's the best linebacker on the team at the moment (unless a healthy Merriman makes a recovery). Would you rather see:

Kelsay-Davis-Sheppard-Moats/Merriman

or

Kelsay-Posluszny-Sheppard-Moats/Merriman?

X-Era
06-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Full Article:
http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-paul-posluszny.htmlResign him. 4-5 mill per and I'd be good.

FlyingDutchman
06-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I think this is one of those situations where getting rid of him makes a statement about the old guard and underachievers. If it's a downgrade, it won't be much of one. And hopefully having guys like a more experienced Troup and Dareus on the DL will make the ILB's job easier.

This team is in no position to make a statement, they need all the talent they can get. Sure he hasnt lived up to what we had hoped but hes had his moments. Resigning him at a fair price, seeing what he can do with some front line help, and avoiding yet another gaping hole on this team would be the sensible thing to do. We have zero depth to be messing around there

X-Era
06-06-2011, 07:57 PM
he is servicable and decent depth. You pay for him until better, proven players come around.

this is the bed we've made. cutting him without decent depth at LB is a mistake, unless the solution is to poach a high end LB this year.:clap: Replace him with something better or keep him.

tampabay25690
06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
YES u resign him

X-Era
06-06-2011, 08:30 PM
This team is in no position to make a statement, they need all the talent they can get. Sure he hasnt lived up to what we had hoped but hes had his moments. Resigning him at a fair price, seeing what he can do with some front line help, and avoiding yet another gaping hole on this team would be the sensible thing to do. We have zero depth to be messing around thereI'd still add another LB to the mix even with adding Poz.

OpIv37
06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
This team is in no position to make a statement, they need all the talent they can get. Sure he hasnt lived up to what we had hoped but hes had his moments. Resigning him at a fair price, seeing what he can do with some front line help, and avoiding yet another gaping hole on this team would be the sensible thing to do. We have zero depth to be messing around there

Poz is the best linebacker the Bills have. That does not mean he is great, but certaintly better than anything else and losing him would just create another hole that we hope a rookie can fill - because if they can't we would be stuck with more veteran retreads.

This is the problem: Our team sucks. They've sucked for the entire careers of guys like Poz and Whitner. Why? Because Poz and Whitner are part of the problem.

Granted, there are a LOT of problems with this team and it would be extremely unfair to blame the lack of results on these two alone, but we can't replace the owner, half the front office, half the coaching staff and 3/4 of the line-up all at once. What we can do is take the opportunities to break from the past when they present itself. It was stupid to re-sign Kelsay and it will be just as stupid if we re-sign Poz and/or Whitner.

X-Era
06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
This is the problem: Our team sucks. They've sucked for the entire careers of guys like Poz and Whitner. Why? Because Poz and Whitner are part of the problem.

Granted, there are a LOT of problems with this team and it would be extremely unfair to blame the lack of results on these two alone, but we can't replace the owner, half the front office, half the coaching staff and 3/4 of the line-up all at once. What we can do is take the opportunities to break from the past when they present itself. It was stupid to re-sign Kelsay and it will be just as stupid if we re-sign Poz and/or Whitner.Poz is a starting ILB in our defense. The only way I'm good with letting him leave is if we have a replacement on the squad and we don't. Who's your replacement if he leaves?

FlyingDutchman
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Granted, there are a LOT of problems with this team and it would be extremely unfair to blame the lack of results on these two alone, but we can't replace the owner, half the front office, half the coaching staff and 3/4 of the line-up all at once. What we can do is take the opportunities to break from the past when they present itself. It was stupid to re-sign Kelsay and it will be just as stupid if we re-sign Poz and/or Whitner.

I hear you man, but I think your bitterness for failed drafts is clouding the more reasonable decision given our situation

justasportsfan
06-06-2011, 10:45 PM
in fairness to Poz, he hasn't had a decent DL in front of him and it' was his 1st year under the new system. Maybe Wanny can help him out

jamze132
06-07-2011, 04:39 AM
I would offer Poz $2m per season and if he doesn't like it, he can walk. He's one of the most over-rated players on our team.

Jan Reimers
06-07-2011, 05:53 AM
What some of you don't seem to understand is that we can't get rid of every player who has not lived up to your lofty expectations.

Poz, while not a star, is a solid player who will be better when the D-line improves and we get another quality ILB, i. e., Sheppard.

We are in no position to cut loose every solid player like Poz, when we have starters that have far less talent than he does. Let's fill holes, not create more.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Also has a high motor.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 06:52 AM
What some of you don't seem to understand is that we can't get rid of every player who has not lived up to your lofty expectations.
Poz, while not a star, is a solid player who will be better when the D-line improves and we get another quality ILB, i. e., Sheppard.

We are in no position to cut loose every solid player like Poz, when we have starters that have far less talent than he does. Let's fill holes, not create more.

Yes we can. We aren't in a position to lose anything in cutting him loose either. We already suck, we drafted two new ILB's, the FA market actually looks decent in ILB, and we have Batten coming off injury moving to ILB. We can more than afford to loose Poz, and keeping players who are solid but not good and far from great because we are afraid of the ramifications makes no sense to me. His position is already a hole that needs to be filled.

alohabillsfan
06-07-2011, 07:00 AM
ROFL What the hell make POZ "solid". To shore up the middle you replace the middle, good bye Poz and Whitner. 4 million per ? for Poz? r u guys nuts! LOL

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 08:07 AM

lofty expectations? Your "solid" players got us 4 wins and the 3rd draft pick last year. The D was ranked LAST against the runs. There is absolutely nothing lofty about expecting better than that.

Poz is not a solid starter. He'd be a back-up on at least half the teams in the league. The reality is Poz IS a hole. It's not as glaring as some of the other holes on this team, but he is limited and we do need an upgrade.

Saying that we have "lofty expectations" for wanting more out of Poz's position is yet another example of Bills fans accepting mediocrity.

Mr. Miyagi
06-07-2011, 08:20 AM
I heart Poz.

Give him 20 million a year.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Yes we can. We aren't in a position to lose anything in cutting him loose either. We already suck, we drafted two new ILB's, the FA market actually looks decent in ILB, and we have Batten coming off injury moving to ILB. We can more than afford to loose Poz, and keeping players who are solid but not good and far from great because we are afraid of the ramifications makes no sense to me. His position is already a hole that needs to be filled.

That's incorrect. We are in a position to lose. We do not know what Sheppard or White will bring to ILB. We hope they will be good. Same with Batten. All those are ???'s! Poz is not a ?. We know what we are getting with him. It may not be superb, but it is adequate. His contract needs to be structured well enough such that if our ILBs pan out, we can cut him. That's all there is to it. But until then, it doesn't make sense to cut a position we have someone who is adequate in.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 08:34 AM
lofty expectations? Your "solid" players got us 4 wins and the 3rd draft pick last year. The D was ranked LAST against the runs. There is absolutely nothing lofty about expecting better than that.

Poz is not a solid starter. He'd be a back-up on at least half the teams in the league. The reality is Poz IS a hole. It's not as glaring as some of the other holes on this team, but he is limited and we do need an upgrade.

Saying that we have "lofty expectations" for wanting more out of Poz's position is yet another example of Bills fans accepting mediocrity.

I'm all for improving ILB when we have someone better than Poz. Do we have anybody better? As far as I can tell, we have several ???s on our roster at ILB that we need to evaluate - and who don't have any experience in the NFL. We are not in a position to say that anyone there is better. So, don't accuse of mediocrity, when what we might have to replace could be worse.

trapezeus
06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
i definitely think Poz has a lot of issues
1. he can't keep up with anyone in coverage.
2. he routinely gets steam rolled by linemen and usually is hanging on to a running back to drag him down.
3. he never gets to the QB on his blitz.

However, sadly, the bills have worse LB's on the team right now. and even in places where we have batten, sheppard, moats, etc, they aren't supermen. they could get hurt.

Wouldn't you rather have those better guys playing and getting spelled by a fresh poz than using some street guy that jauron would typically pick up in week 10?

Even fans of poz aren't asking to dumb 10MM a year. the price needs to be reflective of his overall skill but accounts for the 3 weaknesses.

in an ideal world, the bills draft his replacement in the next draft, and slowly break that guy in over 2 years. Then poz is done with us.

Jan Reimers
06-07-2011, 08:48 AM

It's really hard to reason with someone who is so constantly pissed off at everything, that he insults everyone with a different view.

I don't accept mediocrity. In fact, I hate the last 11 years of Bills' failures, but I'm not so irrational as to say "let's get rid of everyone that is not a star, because we suck."

I'm just saying let's keep the pluggers and grinders who give us solid performances week in and week out, and take care of the positions where we are really bad. No team has an All Pro at every position. Most have a handful of stars/playmakers, and a supporting cast of good, professional players.

Poz is that kind of player, no matter what you think.

Op, you let your anger color everything.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
I'm all for improving ILB when we have someone better than Poz. Do we have anybody better? As far as I can tell, we have several ???s on our roster at ILB that we need to evaluate - and who don't have any experience in the NFL. We are not in a position to say that anyone there is better. So, don't accuse of mediocrity, when what we might have to replace could be worse.

We know Poz isn't good enough. We can hold on to the same mediocrity, or we can take a chance that one of the ?'s is better.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. At the very least, we save several million by not re-signing Poz and we can use that to address the other problems with this team.

Philagape
06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
It all depends on the price. I'm not against keeping him per se, but if he uses his numbers on paper as a bargaining chip to be paid like an elite LB, then see ya.
I read somewhere the sides are far apart on a deal, so I'm afraid this is the case.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 08:59 AM
It's really hard to reason with someone who is so constantly pissed off at everything, that he insults everyone with a different view.

I don't accept mediocrity. In fact, I hate the last 11 years of Bills' failures, but I'm not so irrational as to say "let's get rid of everyone that is not a star, because we suck."

I'm just saying let's keep the pluggers and grinders who give us solid performances week in and week out, and take care of the positions where we are really bad. No team has an All Pro at every position. Most have a handful of stars/playmakers, and a supporting cast of good, professional players.

Poz is that kind of player, no matter what you think.

Op, you let your anger color everything.

You can blame it on me and my anger if you want, but the reality is that Poz is a mediocre player, and if you are defending him, then you are defending mediocrity.

No team has All-Pro's at every position, but no team has All-Pro's at ZERO positions except us. This is the same excuse we hear time and time again whenever someone on this board wants to upgrade a position. "We can't have All-Pro's at every position." Maybe not, but we can and should have better players. There is a lot of middle ground between mediocrity and All-Pro.

The reason this team loses is because we commit $5 million a year to guys like Poz and Kelsay, and that counts against a self-imposed "cash to cap" spending limit and greatly reduces- if not eliminates- our chances to improve. For $2 mil a year, I MIGHT see your point. For $5 million a year, it's far too much for Poz and comes at a very expensive opportunity cost.

If you don't see it, I don't know what to tell you. You are defending the status quo, and the results of that speak for themselves.

ZAZusmc03
06-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing us keep him on board as a rotational player, but he wont settle for that kind of pay, so I say good riddance.

The King
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Unless you have someone to replace him you keep him. You cant create a hole without a plan.

This is what they did with Fletcher... let him go... then they were hog tied to draft a LB. You can't rebuild that way./

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Unless you have someone to replace him you keep him. You cant create a hole without a plan.

This is what they did with Fletcher... let him go... then they were hog tied to draft a LB. You can't rebuild that way./

We can't keep paying $5 million a year for mediocrity either. We've tried that before and it doesn't work. See Kelsay, Chris. See Also Denny, Ryan. See Also Evans, Lee. I could keep going but you get the point.

We keep over-paying for mediocre players to avoid "creating a hole" when the players are ALREADY holes. Keeping Poz is not a plan. It's status quo mediocrity.

The King
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
We can't keep paying $5 million a year for mediocrity either. We've tried that before and it doesn't work. See Kelsay, Chris. See Also Denny, Ryan. See Also Evans, Lee. I could keep going but you get the point.

We keep over-paying for mediocre players to avoid "creating a hole" when the players are ALREADY holes. Keeping Poz is not a plan. It's status quo mediocrity.

Resigning him for another two years allows you to improve the position. dumping him and taking whats available is not the answer. We have the cap space this is how you use it effectively.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Resigning him for another two years allows you to improve the position. dumping him and taking whats available is not the answer. We have the cap space this is how you use it effectively.

No, this is not how you use cap space effectively. The Bills will give Poz $5 million and use it as an excuse to not sign any other free agents.

Then, in 2 years, Poz will be gone, but so will McGee and Evans and God knows who else, so in addition to replacing Poz, we'll have to replace them as well, and then we're right back where we started.

This is exactly what has plagued this team for the last 10 years: using a plan that's so long-term that new holes develop before all the old holes are filled.

I think some of you don't understand what LAST against the run means. It means we can't possibly get any worse. If we take a chance on a rookie or a guy we drafted last year, there's a chance he could be better, but it's impossible to do worse.

justasportsfan
06-07-2011, 10:18 AM
POZ may not have been great but neither would anyone with the DL we had. Poz has played with undersized linemen practically his entire career with a coach who told him to be conservative and play not to lose.

I would sign POZ to an acceptable contract and hope he plays better in the same system.

The King
06-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Agreed and sign a FA or two to compete with him.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
POZ may not have been great but neither would anyone with the DL we had. Poz has played with undersized linemen practically his entire career with a coach who told him to be conservative and play not to lose.

I would sign POZ to an acceptable contract and hope he plays better in the same system.

Everyone on the back 7/8 on any D would be better with better DL's in front of them. That's how team sports work. Some guys make the players around them better, and some guys need better players around them to be successful. We have too many of the latter and too few of the former.

wmoz11
06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
I think some of you don't understand what LAST against the run means. It means we can't possibly get any worse. If we take a chance on a rookie or a guy we drafted last year, there's a chance he could be better, but it's impossible to do worse.

We could do worse. League rankings don't cap how many yards we allow. We may have been in last, but we could have been in last by more YPG allowed.

I can see his deficiencies just as well as anyone, even being a Poz homer, but look at the season before last and compare his tackles and turnovers forced to other MLBs. He was in the very top tier.

The risk for us is signing him to a long-term deal not knowing whether or not he will adjust to our 3-4, though he certainly was slightly above average in his first year playing next to the likes of Reggie Torbor and others signed off the street.

justasportsfan
06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Everyone on the back 7/8 on any D would be better with better DL's in front of them. That's how team sports work. Some guys make the players around them better, and some guys need better players around them to be successful. We have too many of the latter and too few of the former.

doing the same thing and expecting different result also applies to not having any continuity at any position. We have done these a lot in the years you've complained about.This is why I would think that Poz could possibly do a better job with better DL and playing in the same system.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 10:30 AM
We know Poz isn't good enough. We can hold on to the same mediocrity, or we can take a chance that one of the ?'s is better.

Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity. At the very least, we save several million by not re-signing Poz and we can use that to address the other problems with this team.

Take a chance? Why do we have to take a chance. If our Dline becomes superb, Poz's job becomes easier by default. If the rookie ILBs step up, then we have insurance and an eventual replacement. But right now, we have too many ???s. You don't build a good team by release average players for question marks. Money has not been traditionally the problem of this team so I'm not sure why you are bringing it up.

Keep Poz, let's see what we have in Sheppard and White (I believe Batten has been mentioned as returning to the outside - although he claims to be training himself at both positions to increase his usefulness). It's the smart thing to do.

And understand that I don't see anybody here advocating to over pay him - we're saying, as long as the contract is adequate/decent. If he were to say, for example, that he wants $10 mil, then the correct decision would be to let him go!

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 10:32 AM
doing the same thing and expecting different result also applies to not having any continuity at any position. We have done these a lot in the years you've complained about.This is why I would think that Poz could possibly do a better job with better DL and playing in the same system.

If we re-sign Poz, the only continuity we are getting is the continuity of the mediocrity of the last decade. I complained when we did it with GOOD players, not when we did it with mediocre players.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Take a chance? Why do we have to take a chance. If our Dline becomes superb, Poz's job becomes easier by default. If the rookie ILBs step up, then we have insurance and an eventual replacement. But right now, we have too many ???s. You don't build a good team by release average players for question marks. Money has not been traditionally the problem of this team so I'm not sure why you are bringing it up.

Keep Poz, let's see what we have in Sheppard and White (I believe Batten has been mentioned as returning to the outside - although he claims to be training himself at both positions to increase his usefulness). It's the smart thing to do.

And understand that I don't see anybody here advocating to over pay him - we're saying, as long as the contract is adequate/decent. If he were to say, for example, that he wants $10 mil, then the correct decision would be to let him go!

Why do we have to take a chance?

BECAUSE WHAT WE'RE DOING ISN'T WORKING, and because signing Poz is expensive and comes at the opportunity cost of using that money on better players.

And if you think money isn't a problem for this team, you are wrong. We alternate between not spending, and giving money to the wrong guys. Paying Poz is another example of giving money to the wrong guys.

justasportsfan
06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
If we re-sign Poz, the only continuity we are getting is the continuity of the mediocrity of the last decade. I complained when we did it with GOOD players, not when we did it with mediocre players.

Thats you opinion. I think he can get better with a better DL than what Jauron gave him and he can play better when the coach doesn't play not to lose.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
That's incorrect. We are in a position to lose. We do not know what Sheppard or White will bring to ILB. We hope they will be good. Same with Batten. All those are ???'s! Poz is not a ?. We know what we are getting with him. It may not be superb, but it is adequate. His contract needs to be structured well enough such that if our ILBs pan out, we can cut him. That's all there is to it. But until then, it doesn't make sense to cut a position we have someone who is adequate in.

You are correct Poz is not a ? we know we get but that doesnt mean we need to settle for it either.

Its not cutting anybody its simply letting him go, at some point you have to show faith in your coaching ability/scouting ability to know player B is either ready or better than player A.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
You are correct Poz is not a ? we know we get but that doesnt mean we need to settle for it either.

Its not cutting anybody its simply letting him go, at some point you have to show faith in your coaching ability/scouting ability to know player B is either ready or better than player A.

You can say that with our scouting record of the last decade???

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM

What would you call drafting Batten two years ago, signing Davis, and drafting two more ILBs this year?

The plan has been in place, imo.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 10:42 AM
You can say that with our scouting record of the last decade???

You can't pull that card on me. People were pissing and moaning and *****ing a fit on draft day when I dared to criticize some of our picks and when I brought up that I was told "NOOOOOOO, this is a new regime, blah, blah, blah".

I didnt say I had faith, I said at some point you (as the coaching staff/organization) have to have faith. Otherwise what the **** are they doing out there?

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Why do we have to take a chance?

BECAUSE WHAT WE'RE DOING ISN'T WORKING, and because signing Poz is expensive and comes at the opportunity cost of using that money on better players.

And if you think money isn't a problem for this team, you are wrong. We alternate between not spending, and giving money to the wrong guys. Paying Poz is another example of giving money to the wrong guys.

B'cse what we're doing isn't working? What we're doing is switching over to a 3-4 with a defense initially geared for a 4-3 (and not very good at stopping the run even there). That has nothing to do with Gailey/Nix other than they've decided to change the scheme and don't have the right players for it yet. So your "what we're doing is not working" needs to have an asterisk on it.

Until a contract comes out, you don't know what "giving money to Poz" is. If it's anywhere close to the $5 mil range, it's probably fine. Each year pay goes up at all positions. If it's much more, then I would agree that that would need to be weighed in on the decision and likely cause us to let him go. Has any price been named or rumored at yet?

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 10:47 AM
You can't pull that card on me. People were pissing and moaning and *****ing a fit on draft day when I dared to criticize some of our picks and when I brought up that I was told "NOOOOOOO, this is a new regime, blah, blah, blah".

I didnt say I had faith, I said at some point you (as the coaching staff/organization) have to have faith. Otherwise what the **** are they doing out there?

Well, they do appear to be making changes in the FO by letting Modrak go. I am not familiar with any scouts being let go, but regardless, even if our new rookie ILBs show great potential, it doesn't mean they are NFL ready. Again, the big question is, what is Poz's contract going to cost. Until that is known, it's hard to draw up a right conclusion to what should be done.

trapezeus
06-07-2011, 10:50 AM

but they didn't address is yet, so letting him go weakens the overall structure of the LB corp.

you keep him, you may find others who push him to the bench. however, these guys who surpass Poz get injured all the time. you need a mid level backer to be a replacement and to help prevent injuries.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Well, they do appear to be making changes in the FO by letting Modrak go. I am not familiar with any scouts being let go, but regardless, even if our new rookie ILBs show great potential, it doesn't mean they are NFL ready. Again, the big question is, what is Poz's contract going to cost. Until that is known, it's hard to draw up a right conclusion to what should be done.

Well of course I agree, I mean if he's going to take below market value Id happily bring him back as a temp starter, but Im not willing to pay him market ILB starting salary on his new deal.

JCBills
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
What would you call drafting Batten two years ago, signing Davis, and drafting two more ILBs this year?

The plan has been in place, imo.

I call it a transition, not pushing someone out.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I call it a transition, not pushing someone out.

Well eventually somebody is going to be "pushed out".

FlyingDutchman
06-07-2011, 11:29 AM

but you wanted to pay through the roof for Peters bc he was the best on our team at that position....

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 11:47 AM
B'cse what we're doing isn't working? What we're doing is switching over to a 3-4 with a defense initially geared for a 4-3 (and not very good at stopping the run even there). That has nothing to do with Gailey/Nix other than they've decided to change the scheme and don't have the right players for it yet. So your "what we're doing is not working" needs to have an asterisk on it.

Until a contract comes out, you don't know what "giving money to Poz" is. If it's anywhere close to the $5 mil range, it's probably fine. Each year pay goes up at all positions. If it's much more, then I would agree that that would need to be weighed in on the decision and likely cause us to let him go. Has any price been named or rumored at yet?

if we don't have the right players for the 3-4, then why are you advocating keeping a mediocre player drafted for the 4-3? You are contradicting yourself.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 11:49 AM
but you wanted to pay through the roof for Peters bc he was the best on our team at that position....

yeah, well, I overrated Peters just like many of you are overrating Poz now.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 11:51 AM

In fairness LT is still a gaping hole on this team.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 11:51 AM
if we don't have the right players for the 3-4, then why are you advocating keeping a mediocre player drafted for the 4-3? You are contradicting yourself.

B'cse I think he can be an adequate player as an ILB in a 3-4. If I didn't think he could do it, I wouldn't be advocating keeping him. I think he's an avg or slightly above avg LB. Do I think he should command a high salary though? No, and that's what I'm waiting to see? How much does he want and what is he willing to settle for?

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Gaping hole is an exaggeration. Bell performed well last season.

justasportsfan
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

you're the one who called him slightly above average.

if we don't have the right players for the 3-4, then why are you advocating keeping a mediocre player drafted for the 4-3? You are contradicting yourself..

same as above.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Gaping hole is an exaggeration. Bell performed well last season.

Performed well is an exaggeration.

He was barely solid and at times was horrendous. He looked better because of how bad the RT situation was.

justasportsfan
06-07-2011, 11:56 AM

He was barely solid and at times was horrendous. He looked better because of how bad the RT situation was.
I think the OL looked better because of Fitz.

O-line places 12th

Buffalo’s offensive line placed 12th in the league allowing it to happen just under 14% of the time (13.92%). The two best teams were the Giants and the Colts. Naturally some credit has to go to the quarterbacks, who are the ones getting rid of the ball. But it’s a respectable place for the line to be despite all the shuffling that went on at right tackle as well as guard and center last season.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/06/07/pressure-into-sacks/

FlyingDutchman
06-07-2011, 11:59 AM

A lot of us didnt overrate Peters, we knew he was slightly above average. We are making the same statement you were then...That hes the best at that position, and we would have a huge hole if he were to leave so lets pay him. All we're saying about Poz is do it as long as its fair and hes not asking a lot. Same idea though of Poz being one of the better players at that position (unfortunately) and the lack of better options

FlyingDutchman
06-07-2011, 12:01 PM

right, and so is LB...all we have right now is some mediocore vets and some unknowns with potential

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 12:11 PM
right, and so is LB...all we have right now is some mediocore vets and some unknowns with potential

Completely agree.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 12:12 PM

He was pretty decent last year recovering from his operation.

Here's a good article on the Offensive Line Coach's thoughts on him:

"For the severity of the injury and coming from rehab, and considering he really hasn't had much strength training, and then rebounding -- he has done a great job," D'Alessandris said. "He's learned his assignments. We've had to adjust his recovery period after a game so we can have him ready to play on Sunday, but the system we have is working out fine."

Bell sits out practice every Wednesday.

Bell's pass protection is much improved over last season, when he was thrown into the starting lineup five days before the season opener despite minimal work with the first unit. Throw in the fact the Bills were running a no-huddle offense, and the situation was borderline unfair to a second-year man who never had even appeared in an NFL game. Bell gave up four sacks, by unofficial count, and plenty of pressures before getting hurt last year.

"I think my technique is a lot better than it was last year," Bell said. "But as far as where I want to be, it's not there yet. I think I've made a tremendous turn from last year."

Bell has not allowed a sack this season, by The News' count. He did well against inside power rushes from Chicago star Julius Peppers three weeks ago. He was sound against Detroit two weeks ago.
D'Alessandris said Bell is a good student.

"If a defender's giving him a specific move, with both of us sitting down and evaluating what's happening, he then takes it to the field and adjusts pretty darn well," he said. "That's encouraging. He knows his mistakes, so he can help fix them during the game."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article266393.ece

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
He was pretty decent last year recovering from his operation.

Here's a good article on the Offensive Line Coach's thoughts on him:

I dont care what his coach tells the media. Do you really consider that a non-bias evaluation?

You watched the games were you happy with the play of our LT? Because I sure as **** wasn't.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I dont care what his coach tells the media. Do you really consider that a non-bias evaluation?

You watched the games were you happy with the play of our LT? Because I sure as **** wasn't.

Yes. I thought it was pretty decent and he more than held his own many times against top rush passers!

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Yes. I thought it was pretty decent and he more than held his own many times against top rush passers!

Not what I asked. Were you satisfied with the overall play? Is that acceptable for you on a full-time permanent basis?

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Not what I asked. Were you satisfied with the overall play? Is that acceptable for you on a full-time permanent basis?

I said, "Yes, I thought he was decent". He wasn't a probowl player, but how many probowl left tackles does each team have??? I've seen better, and I've seen worse. Bell was decent. Period.

Syderick
06-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Yea if they can, then resign him

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 02:11 PM

Well I want more...much more in fact. I can't help you if that performance is all that you want.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I said, "Yes, I thought he was decent". He wasn't a probowl player, but how many probowl left tackles does each team have??? I've seen better, and I've seen worse. Bell was decent. Period.

Ive seen better and I want better. Am I asking for too much here or something?

We could win the super bowl tomorrow and until we have a team of All-Pro's at every position, Im going to ask for more.

That's the idea of the NFL, ever evolving, always looking to get better. Being satisfied is not good enough.

mysticsoto
06-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Well I want more...much more in fact. I can't help you if that performance is all that you want.

Woe...woe..woe...anybody can always ask for more at any position. Sure, I'd love a probowl LT. I'd also love a probowl QB, RB, WR, DT, DE, blah, blah, blah. When realism sets in, I acknowledge that the great majority of problems we have were in the run D and therefore that is where focus needed to be and was placed. In the meantime, Bell played decent enough to warrant another start and hopefully, a year removed from surgery, he will be that much stronger and quick.

bf1
06-07-2011, 02:59 PM

And he's below average. And fans love him anyway.

OpIv37
06-07-2011, 03:01 PM
And he's below average. And fans love him anyway.

That's what I don't understand. Criticize any player on this board, and with the possible exception of Chris Kelsay, you'll get posters rushing to his defense.

Well, if everyone on our team is worthy of defending, then why can't we win any ****ing games?

better days
06-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Ive seen better and I want better. Am I asking for too much here or something?

We could win the super bowl tomorrow and until we have a team of All-Pro's at every position, Im going to ask for more.

That's the idea of the NFL, ever evolving, always looking to get better. Being satisfied is not good enough.

I agree with what you are saying, but there is the chance Bell will improve, get better, play better & upgrade the position by doing so.

jimbohastle51
06-07-2011, 04:49 PM
he will be resigned quickly once the new cba is done. i wouldnt be surprised if it was a day or 2 after a new cba is reached, and he may still be a RFA after a new cba is reached depending on the terms agreed upon.

X-Era
06-07-2011, 05:14 PM
And he's below average. And fans love him anyway.I don't love him. And I think his numbers are a bit bloated because of how bad our DL played last year. But we don't have anyone proven to be better right now and we can't afford to get worse. If we want to replace him, sign somebody who's significantly better... anything else is a push or worse.

We can't afford the loss IMO.

X-Era
06-07-2011, 05:15 PM
he will be resigned quickly once the new cba is done. i wouldnt be surprised if it was a day or 2 after a new cba is reached, and he may still be a RFA after a new cba is reached depending on the terms agreed upon.Absolutely. I think there is a good chance he become a RFA instead of a UFA. And even if he doesn't, he will be resigned IMO.

X-Era
06-07-2011, 05:18 PM
That's what I don't understand. Criticize any player on this board, and with the possible exception of Chris Kelsay, you'll get posters rushing to his defense.

Well, if everyone on our team is worthy of defending, then why can't we win any ****ing games?Dude. This is not a defense of the player issue. It's all about getting worse by subtraction.

I don't think he's all-pro or anything better than average at this point. But I will take it over the alternatives currently on this roster.

It's easy to me. Were 4 and 12. If you want to get rid of him fine. But only if you want a significant and proven upgrade this year.

Sheppard may never turn out to be anything and even if he does he can only fill one of our two starting ILB spots... we have nothing else except vet depth and a late round rookie.

justasportsfan
06-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Well, if everyone on our team is worthy of defending, then why can't we win any ****ing games?

you had a major problem with letting Posey go without finding a replacement first. Poz is a better lber than Posey ever was.

Mr. Pink
06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
I honestly don't care if he stays or goes.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Woe...woe..woe...anybody can always ask for more at any position. Sure, I'd love a probowl LT. I'd also love a probowl QB, RB, WR, DT, DE, blah, blah, blah. When realism sets in, I acknowledge that the great majority of problems we have were in the run D and therefore that is where focus needed to be and was placed. In the meantime, Bell played decent enough to warrant another start and hopefully, a year removed from surgery, he will be that much stronger and quick.
Realism says the position needs to be improve upon, period. You think Bell can, Im ready to move on, and Im ready now. Ive seen enough to say Bell will be an ideal #3 OT who can play both sides, and be a good spot starter. That's about as far as I think he should go. Which is a hell of a lot for a 7th Round pick.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 09:25 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but there is the chance Bell will improve, get better, play better & upgrade the position by doing so.

I dont think that chance is as high as you do.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-08-2011, 12:45 AM
wouldnt be suprised if white and shep are starting opening day with davis and torbor as backups.... if poz is gone

mysticsoto
06-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Realism says the position needs to be improve upon, period. You think Bell can, Im ready to move on, and Im ready now. Ive seen enough to say Bell will be an ideal #3 OT who can play both sides, and be a good spot starter. That's about as far as I think he should go. Which is a hell of a lot for a 7th Round pick.

If you can show me where his improvement is, I'll let you know if I agree. Currently on our roster, he is the best for that position and adequate to handle it. If you're talking about upgrading it at next year's draft, I don't have a problem with that, as long as we take a QB in the 1st.

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 11:11 AM
If you can show me where his improvement is, I'll let you know if I agree. Currently on our roster, he is the best for that position and adequate to handle it. If you're talking about upgrading it at next year's draft, I don't have a problem with that, as long as we take a QB in the 1st.

Didnt we already go over that when I re-drafted this past draft or the year before? Ive given out 4-5 names already.

Jan Reimers
06-08-2011, 11:23 AM
wouldnt be suprised if white and shep are starting opening day with davis and torbor as backups.... if poz is gone
One more reason to keep Poz. Would anyone want 2 rookies starting at ILB, backed up by 2 journeymen? Ugh!

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
One more reason to keep Poz. Would anyone want 2 rookies starting at ILB, backed up by 2 journeymen? Ugh!

:wave:

You are operating under the assumption that FA will not happen then?

mysticsoto
06-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Didnt we already go over that when I re-drafted this past draft or the year before? Ive given out 4-5 names already.

I haven't been involved in every thread and I vaguely remember any of that being discussed, but in this past draft, there weren't many names outside the 1st rd that could come in and take Bell's place. You may say there is, but I disagree 100%.

In any case, drafting someone for OT would have meant losing another - which you'd then be complaining about. You can't address every position all in one draft.

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 12:09 PM
I haven't been involved in every thread and I vaguely remember any of that being discussed, but in this past draft, there weren't many names outside the 1st rd that could come in and take Bell's place. You may say there is, but I disagree 100%.

In any case, drafting someone for OT would have meant losing another - which you'd then be complaining about. You can't address every position all in one draft.

Oh Id happily trade in quite a few of our picks the last two years for some OT's.

No complaining, I promise, now can I have my OT's?

OpIv37
06-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Dude. This is not a defense of the player issue. It's all about getting worse by subtraction.

I don't think he's all-pro or anything better than average at this point. But I will take it over the alternatives currently on this roster.

It's easy to me. Were 4 and 12. If you want to get rid of him fine. But only if you want a significant and proven upgrade this year.

Sheppard may never turn out to be anything and even if he does he can only fill one of our two starting ILB spots... we have nothing else except vet depth and a late round rookie.

First, I think you are over-rating Poz. The subtraction is not nearly as significant as you think.

Second, I don't think any of you are taking opportunity costs into account. Poz is going to be much more expensive than any of the alternatives currently on the roster. And we are talking about Ralph Wilson's "cash to cap" team here. Re-signing Poz will most likely cost us an opportunity in free agency.

I'll take the cheaper guy with something to prove over a guy that we know is average any day.

OpIv37
06-08-2011, 12:16 PM
you had a major problem with letting Posey go without finding a replacement first. Poz is a better lber than Posey ever was.

First, I don't think Poz is all that much better than Posey.

Second, Posey was part of a D that ranked 2nd in the league for 2 consecutive years and should have been maintained. Poz was drafted for a 4-3 D and spent last year on a 3-4 D that was last against the run. It needs to be blown up.

justasportsfan
06-08-2011, 03:05 PM
First, I don't think Poz is all that much better than Posey.

Second, Posey was part of a D that ranked 2nd in the league for 2 consecutive years and should have been maintained. Poz was drafted for a 4-3 D and spent last year on a 3-4 D that was last against the run. It needs to be blown up.

lol. Posey did nothing here. The D was no.2 because of guys like Pat Williams, Sam Adams , TKO, and especially Dick Lebeau .NOT because of Posey.

POz has had Dick Jauron and a supporting cast thats hilarious compared to what Posey had and yet you say he's slightly better.

You're contradicting your own logic because you don't like POz but don't tell me people accept mediocrity when you wanted Posey to stay. The guy wasn't even mediocre on a team that had better suppodrting cast and coach than what Poz has had to work with.

stuckincincy
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
I would not offer Poz a new contract. Poz's career ratio to solo vs. assist tackles is 1 in 3. He chases the pile.

Better to grab a FA guy, at lower cost. CIN's Brandon Johnson's ratio is 1:2. More sacks with a lot less playing time. Also passes defended.

Brandon Johnson:

http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonjohnson/profile?id=JOH078319

Poz:

http://www.nfl.com/players/paulposluszny/profile?id=POS250036

OpIv37
06-08-2011, 03:34 PM
lol. Posey did nothing here. The D was no.2 because of guys like Pat Williams, Sam Adams , TKO, and especially Dick Lebeau .NOT because of Posey.

POz has had Dick Jauron and a supporting cast thats hilarious compared to what Posey had and yet you say he's slightly better.

You're contradicting your own logic because you don't like POz but don't tell me people accept mediocrity when you wanted Posey to stay. The guy wasn't even mediocre on a team that had better suppodrting cast and coach than what Poz has had to work with.

The point is, that D was working, so if you're going to cut him loose, find someone equal or better. Preserve or improve, but that D was too good to change for the sake of change.

The current D isn't working. We have very little to lose even if guys like Sheppard and Batten don't step up. Now, we need change for the sake of change. We need to send a message that the old guard is out and we will no longer accept average 4-3 players in our 3-4 defense.

If we get worse by having Poz out, so what? We were already last against the run, it sends the message that mediocrity will not be accepted, and it puts us in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And we would have saved several million against the cap. It's more than worth the risk.

justasportsfan
06-08-2011, 03:37 PM
The point is, that D was working, so if you're going to cut him loose, find someone equal or better. Preserve or improve, but that D was too good to change for the sake of change.

The current D isn't working. We have very little to lose even if guys like Sheppard and Batten don't step up. Now, we need change for the sake of change. We need to send a message that the old guard is out and we will no longer accept average 4-3 players in our 3-4 defense.

If we get worse by having Poz out, so what? We were already last against the run, it sends the message that mediocrity will not be accepted, and it puts us in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And we would have saved several million against the cap. It's more than worth the risk.

You cant say the D was working and run with it. There are reasons why a D works. Supporting cast and coaching. Poz had neither but Posey had both and yet he sucked . While Poz isn't great he doesn't suck as badly as Posey.

POZ would have played better than Posey if he had the same situation Posey had.

So again, you are contradicting your own logic becaue you don't like Poz. I get it.

X-Era
06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
First, I think you are over-rating Poz. The subtraction is not nearly as significant as you think.

Second, I don't think any of you are taking opportunity costs into account. Poz is going to be much more expensive than any of the alternatives currently on the roster. And we are talking about Ralph Wilson's "cash to cap" team here. Re-signing Poz will most likely cost us an opportunity in free agency.

I'll take the cheaper guy with something to prove over a guy that we know is average any day.First off, I don't give a **** about Ralph's wallet. And we were like 20 mill under the cap before the cap ended. Yes, I can't predict what our salary cost is with it being two years ago... but it doesn't even remotely cover that gap. Poz or no Poz we will have plenty of cap space. Do we have the money? See my first response to that. Cash to crap is already a busted philosophy, just plot out our wins vs. losses since we adopted that BS plan.

Second, I'm not interested in getting rid of a proven and performing commodity for an unproven anything on a 4 and 12 team. Over 100 total tackles three years in a row is better than any other ILB on this roster. As I already said, I don't think he is anything more than average and the numbers may be bloated. But, it's not like we have a viable replacement on the roster right now. If we were 12 and 4 with little weaknesses on the defense, I might feel better about it.

Nix has given indications that Whitner may be gone. But Poz wants to stay, and we want to keep him... he's going to be a Bill and although some may feel he will be overpayed, I still don't ggive a **** about Ralph's wallet. Get our spending up close to the cap and I'll worry about it. Or, get us into the playoffs with our cash to crap philosophy and I'll be all for it... Right now there is no justification.

X-Era
06-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I would not offer Poz a new contract. Poz's career ratio to solo vs. assist tackles is 1 in 3. He chases the pile.

Better to grab a FA guy, at lower cost. CIN's Brandon Johnson's ratio is 1:2. More sacks with a lot less playing time. Also passes defended.

Brandon Johnson:

http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonjohnson/profile?id=JOH078319

Poz:

http://www.nfl.com/players/paulposluszny/profile?id=POS250036Don't be surprised if Kirk Morrison's name doesn't get into the mix as a possible FA signee for us... Just speculation on my part, but don't be surprised.

X-Era
06-08-2011, 03:57 PM
If we get worse by having Poz out, so what? We were already last against the run, it sends the message that mediocrity will not be accepted, and it puts us in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. And we would have saved several million against the cap. It's more than worth the risk.Isn't this like slitting your own tires? To me this seems like one step up from rooting to lose.

Andrew Luck is out of the question for us without a trade to the #1 spot. And Nix has given zero hope that he will ever make a move like that.

stuckincincy
06-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Heh - Adams. He did his last year in CIN. Took him 4 or 5 games to "round" into shape...

Then he was classic Sam - always was double-teamed, still cat-quick. He had a pair of instant eyeballs that picked out the gap the moment the ball was snapped.

I heard someone describe him as "a pass-rushing linebacker who happens to be built like a rhino."

Sam was a unique player- BUF was dumb to let him go IMO.

stuckincincy
06-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Don't be surprised if Kirk Morrison's name doesn't get into the mix as a possible FA signee for us... Just speculation on my part, but don't be surprised.

Dhani Jones' contract is up. I think he'll get a gig somewhere. He's not an all-pro, but he is a smart cookie, who did a good job for CIN. At this stage, a decent look-see.

CIN wants to move Mulagla to MLB.

OpIv37
06-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Isn't this like slitting your own tires? To me this seems like one step up from rooting to lose.

Andrew Luck is out of the question for us without a trade to the #1 spot. And Nix has given zero hope that he will ever make a move like that.

it's like that, only if you consider ditching Poz a serious downgrade. I don't. I think it's a minimal loss, and one that we should be able to sustain with the other improvements to the D, plus we still have FA to get a replacement.

Mike
06-09-2011, 02:06 AM
ofty expectations? Your "solid" players got us 4 wins and the 3rd draft pick last year. The D was ranked LAST against the runs. There is absolutely nothing lofty about expecting better than that.

Hit the nail on the head!

For bad to slightly above average players, EVERY organization should let them walk and here is why:

1) average players are average so they will be EASY to Replace

2) it makes ZERO sense to resign an average player when you can draft a replacement with potential and pay him 5x Less

3) Drafting a replacement has Less Downside and More Upside. There is the potential that the pick may be great which is a Huge Bonus. If pick us awful, there is not a high drop off from average to bad and at least your are saving mega $$$ in the process.

4) Every team should try to improve! Either try to Improve the Talent or Cash Funds. If you spend $$$ on guys like Poz & Kelsey, you will have neither $$$ or talent. IF you draft a rookie, you will definitely have more $$$ and maybe more talent too. Last but not least, you can also use that extra $$$ that you now have on a Very Good to Great Player.

5) Great teams are living proofs of this: Giants let David Tyree go after helping them win SB. Look at all the players that get cut or released that are good to very good b/c of declining production and increasing salary like Chan Ocho Cinco -projected.

Mike
06-09-2011, 02:11 AM
In the end who would you rather have:

1) Julias Peppers & a rookie

or

2) Poz & Kelsey

And you would be paying nearly the same amount!
For me this is a no brainer, I go with #1 all day long.

Mike
06-09-2011, 02:24 AM
I think there is a major Fear of Loss here.

The world wont end and the Bills wont all of the sudden suck if we loose Poz... we already suck.

Its okay not to have a proven player fill his shoes for a year or two until a Better replacement comes alone. Its not like were contending for a Champointhsip anytime soon.

I get that many of you dont want to rock the boat, I get that your afraid of getting worst, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you improve. Look at St Louis the last few years...

Mike
06-09-2011, 02:25 AM
It normal for Teams to go from great, to mediocre, to awful, back to respectability, and to greatness. Its okay to admit that we are mediocre and have been for 10+ years. Chances are we will have to hit rock bottom before we get back to respectability.

Its nature, abs and flows, ups and downs, ins and outs. You cant always win or always loose. You can not have growth forever, every great economy is followed up by a bad one, and every bad economy is followed up by a good one.

Low tide, the bad times, the recessions and the depressions give you the opportunity to let go of whats not working. These times flush out the average and mediocre. If we hold on we only prolong that part of the cycle. We have to let bad and average players go before we get good ones to replace them. If you stay at your secure low paying job you wont have the opportunity to have a high paying job without letting go.