PDA

View Full Version : Would you spend a pick from next years draft on Terrelle Pryor?

X-Era
06-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Personally, I think he may get drafted in the supplemental in the 5th or 6th rounds. He may go in the 4th. I wouldn't necessarily mind the move.

Here's my take:

1) Pryor is just as good as any other UDFA that we could get right now. Nix was fairly clear that we will get a UDFA and a UFA for training Camp.
2) QB is now one of our top needs. Fitz may excel, stay the same, or fade. At this point we don't know yet.
3) Spending one of next years mid to late picks on the guy lets us groom a mid/late rounder now. If next years draft doesn't yield us a top QB prospect (assuming we decide we need one), we may be looking at a mid-rounder. Why not get a jump on grooming a guy?
4) He can run and throw but needs lots of help in decision making. Fitz and Gailey could really help him there.
5) He may fit best in a wide open system like ours where we can use his legs. He may even be a Wildcat option for us late in this season.
6) It won't impact what we do next year as far as drafting a QB high if we choose. We aren't making a huge investment.

Mr. Pink
06-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I've watched plenty of Pryor the last few years...truth of the matter is the dude will never be an NFL caliber QB. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if no one took him in the supplemental draft.

X-Era
06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Heres his stats. He passes most of the 26-27-60 (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/1/27/1959780/26-27-60) rule with better than 60% career percentage and more than 27 games started. No clue on his Wonderlic:

Career Passing Stats

<table class="shsTable shsBorderTable" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr class="shsTableTtlRow"><td style="width: 6%" class="shsNamD">Year</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNamD">Team</td> <td style="width: 5%" class="shsNumD">G</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Cmp</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Att</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Comp %</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Yds</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Yd/A</td> <td style="width: 5%" class="shsNumD">TDs</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Int</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Sacked</td> <td style="width: 6%" class="shsNumD">Yds</td> </tr><tr class="shsRow0Row"><td class="shsNamD">2008</td> <td class="shsNamD">OhioSt </td> <td class="shsNumD">13</td> <td class="shsNumD">100</td> <td class="shsNumD">165</td> <td class="shsNumD">60.6</td> <td class="shsNumD">1311</td> <td class="shsNumD">7.9</td> <td class="shsNumD">12</td> <td class="shsNumD">4</td> <td class="shsNumD">21</td> <td class="shsNumD">153</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"><td class="shsNamD">2009</td> <td class="shsNamD">OhioSt </td> <td class="shsNumD">13</td> <td class="shsNumD">167</td> <td class="shsNumD">295</td> <td class="shsNumD">56.6</td> <td class="shsNumD">2094</td> <td class="shsNumD">7.1</td> <td class="shsNumD">18</td> <td class="shsNumD">11</td> <td class="shsNumD">21</td> <td class="shsNumD">149</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow0Row"><td class="shsNamD">2010</td> <td class="shsNamD">OhioSt </td> <td class="shsNumD">13</td> <td class="shsNumD">210</td> <td class="shsNumD">323</td> <td class="shsNumD">65.0</td> <td class="shsNumD">2772</td> <td class="shsNumD">8.6</td> <td class="shsNumD">27</td> <td class="shsNumD">11</td> <td class="shsNumD">19</td> <td class="shsNumD">113</td> </tr> <tr class="shsRow1Row"><td class="shsNamD">Career</td> <td class="shsNamD"> </td> <td class="shsNumD">39</td> <td class="shsNumD">477</td> <td class="shsNumD">783</td> <td class="shsNumD">60.9</td> <td class="shsNumD">6177</td> <td class="shsNumD">7.9</td> <td class="shsNumD">57</td> <td class="shsNumD">26</td> <td class="shsNumD">61</td> <td class="shsNumD">415</td></tr></tbody></table>

X-Era
06-07-2011, 06:34 PM
I've watched plenty of Pryor the last few years...truth of the matter is the dude will never be an NFL caliber QB. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if no one took him in the supplemental draft.It would not surprise me either. However, I also won't be surprised at all if he gets taken in rounds 4-6.

BidsJr
06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha...... Pryor. AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

YardRat
06-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Personally, I think he may get drafted in the supplemental in the 5th or 6th rounds. He may go in the 4th. I wouldn't necessarily mind the move.

Here's my take:

1) Pryor is just as good as any other UDFA that we could get right now. Nix was fairly clear that we will get a UDFA and a UFA for training Camp.
2) QB is now one of our top needs. Fitz may excel, stay the same, or fade. At this point we don't know yet.
3) Spending one of next years mid to late picks on the guy lets us groom a mid/late rounder now. If next years draft doesn't yield us a top QB prospect (assuming we decide we need one), we may be looking at a mid-rounder. Why not get a jump on grooming a guy?
4) He can run and throw but needs lots of help in decision making. Fitz and Gailey could really help him there.
5) He may fit best in a wide open system like ours where we can use his legs. He may even be a Wildcat option for us late in this season.
6) It won't impact what we do next year as far as drafting a QB high if we choose. We aren't making a huge investment.

1. Wasting a draft pick is a huge difference from taking an UDFA flier on a guy.

2. It's a top need if we can find somebody better than Fitz. Pryor isn't that guy.

3. We don't need a mid-level 'groomer', so it would be a waste of time. Keep building the defense and offensive line, and when the timing/situation is right snag a real QB.

4. "He's a helluva athlete, but really can't handle the mental part of the position." No thanks.

5. Let him play WR or return kicks then.

6. It's a big enough investment and big enough risk to not take it. I'd rather have all of my picks next year instead of blowing one on a guy that (if he's lucky) might make it Canada, Arena, or the UFL.

Enough with the panic-button reactions regarding the QB position. Let somebody else waste their time and resources on this guy.

X-Era
06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
1. Wasting a draft pick is a huge difference from taking an UDFA flier on a guy. True if it ends up a waste.

2. It's a top need if we can find somebody better than Fitz. Pryor isn't that guy. Disagree. It's a top need if Fitz isn't the answer. I'm not trying to open up that whole discussion. Only saying that we should all be able to agree that we can't officially say Fitz is our answer yet.

3. We don't need a mid-level 'groomer', so it would be a waste of time. Keep building the defense and offensive line, and when the timing/situation is right snag a real QB.You can't endlessly spend draft picks on the defensive line, ignoring other areas on a 4 and 12 team will end up costing you heavily. And grabbing Pryor doesn't preclude drafting a real QB if one presents itself next year. Fitz will be a UFA, Brown has done nothing and we have no #2. It's not like we can't use him regardless.

4. "He's a helluva athlete, but really can't handle the mental part of the position." No thanks. That's why he's not considered a 1st round pick. Were potentially spending a 4-6 pick... and prospects in that range always have a issue. I trust Gailey and even Fitz enough to help develop a guy with decision making issues.

5. Let him play WR or return kicks then. Versatility is one thing I like in a probable backup or #3. As I said, he could end up being a decent Wildcat option. We don't have that right now as far as QB goes.

6. It's a big enough investment and big enough risk to not take it. I'd rather have all of my picks next year instead of blowing one on a guy that (if he's lucky) might make it Canada, Arena, or the UFL. I'm not as hung up on keeping picks as many are. Nix tends to agree with you so...

Enough with the panic-button reactions regarding the QB position. Let somebody else waste their time and resources on this guy. Some may not hit the panic button until it's too late. Where you sit, I don't know. But, on this 4 and 12 team, it remains a significant concern until it's answered on the field.

Billz_fan
06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I say nah. I just don't like or want the guy :laughter:

Buffalo Thriller
06-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Hell to the NO!

tampabay25690
06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I've watched plenty of Pryor the last few years...truth of the matter is the dude will never be an NFL caliber QB. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if no one took him in the supplemental draft.

I agree with you somewhat.......
But didn't alot of Tool's on here say Tim Tebow wouldn't be a NFL QB either????

bigbub2352
06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
i agree with u x-era...he is a project but so is levi brown...and any udfa we bring in

we will sign a vet qb..but still need a developmental qb

YardRat
06-07-2011, 08:36 PM
True if it ends up a waste.

Not worth the risk. The chances are much higher that he'll be nothing more than a roster spot, ever.

Disagree. It's a top need if Fitz isn't the answer. I'm not trying to open up that whole discussion. Only saying that we should all be able to agree that we can't officially say Fitz is our answer yet.

Granted he has yet to prove he is 'the answer'. He might not, ever. However, the last thing this team needs is an iffy mid-round talent to groom. We need a solid vet FA, or a young stud, and Pryor fits neither classification. We already have a project with Brown, so that position is filled and we don't need another.

You can't endlessly spend draft picks on the defensive line, ignoring other areas on a 4 and 12 team will end up costing you heavily. And grabbing Pryor doesn't preclude drafting a real QB if one presents itself next year. Fitz will be a UFA, Brown has done nothing and we have no #2. It's not like we can't use him regardless.

I didn't say that. I said defense and offensive line. Big difference.

That's why he's not considered a 1st round pick. Were potentially spending a 4-6 pick... and prospects in that range always have a issue. I trust Gailey and even Fitz enough to help develop a guy with decision making issues.

I'd prefer to not have a guy that doesn't have the brains for the job.

Versatility is one thing I like in a probable backup or #3. As I said, he could end up being a decent Wildcat option. We don't have that right now as far as QB goes.

I'd take him as a #3 UDFA if he can beat out Brown, but I'm not risking another draft pick on a clip board holder.

I'm not as hung up on keeping picks as many are. Nix tends to agree with you so...

It's a youth movement. Less picks = less youth.

Some may not hit the panic button until it's too late. Where you sit, I don't know. But, on this 4 and 12 team, it remains a significant concern until it's answered on the field.

"It" was partially answered this past season. Fitz can hold down the fort while we rebuild the worst defense in the entire league, and drafting Pryor isn't going to change that situation an iota.

djjimkelly
06-07-2011, 09:04 PM
pryor is a joke

PASS

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 09:29 PM
In the Supplemental? Nope.

After working out for a full year with a true QB coach and refining his game? Id be much more open to the idea come April 2012.

k-oneputt
06-07-2011, 10:08 PM
5th rd., then make him a tight end or wr.

DraftBoy
06-07-2011, 10:58 PM
5th rd., then make him a tight end or wr.

Dont know that he'd be willing to make the move. Don't spend the pick if he wont agree to move.

psubills62
06-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Not worth it.

Sorry, X, I know you're seeing another way to replace Fitz, but Pryor is not a good QB. I doubt he'd be good enough at another position to be drafted.

stuckincincy
06-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Dont know that he'd be willing to make the move. Don't spend the pick if he wont agree to move.

IIRC, he was 31-4 as a starter at OSU. No big deal there - OSU is a magnet for club-wide talent.

He's fast enough, but I don't know if he has any receiving experience. Maybe in high school?

Speaking of...It's my understanding that he already had a "posse" when he was in h.s. Not good.

Short scouting report:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/06/07/pryors-draft-prospects/

Mr. Miyagi
06-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Levi Brown is better than Pryor.

Hell, Losman is a ton better than Pryor.

Don't Panic
06-08-2011, 10:26 AM
I think he is absolutely worth a 5th round pick and wouldn't be the least bit upset if they used a 4th on him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
N F W

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I don't think a player on suspension or investigation can be eligible for the supplemental draft anyway.

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 11:04 AM
IIRC, he was 31-4 as a starter at OSU. No big deal there - OSU is a magnet for club-wide talent.

He's fast enough, but I don't know if he has any receiving experience. Maybe in high school?

Speaking of...It's my understanding that he already had a "posse" when he was in h.s. Not good.

Short scouting report:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2011/06/07/pryors-draft-prospects/
Part of the issue during his recruiting was that a few teams asked him about moving to WR/TE and he was very clear that he had zero interest in doing that.

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't think a player on suspension or investigation can be eligible for the supplemental draft anyway.

Why do you say that?

He's not currently suspended by anybody since he left OSU.

TacklingDummy
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
When all the dust settles Pryor is going to make Newton look like an angel.

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
When all the dust settles Pryor is going to make Newton look like an angel.

Neither player looks like the devil as it is now.

X-Era
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Neither player looks like the devil as it is now.I agree. And I tend to be much more conservative in what I would overlook.

X-Era
06-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Not worth it.

Sorry, X, I know you're seeing another way to replace Fitz, but Pryor is not a good QB. I doubt he'd be good enough at another position to be drafted.Theres no way I can look at Pryor and picture him replacing Fitz at this point. What I simply see is another developmental guy when were likely to be adding two more QB's to the mix. Could he eventually become a solid starter in the NFL? Who knows but I agree that it looks a long way off right now. But again, with a mid or late rounder, thats the type of situation were talking about anyways.

X-Era
06-08-2011, 11:41 AM
In the Supplemental? Nope.

After working out for a full year with a true QB coach and refining his game? Id be much more open to the idea come April 2012.The only part I question on this is how spending a year off the field will make him better at making decisions on the field. I mean if your saying he needs coaching, I agree but why can't he get that from an NFL team? I would think putting him on a squad where he knows he's not playing anytime soon but can still prep for games, take part in NFL caliber practices, get NFL caliber coaching, and play in preseason games would seem to be what he needs.

DraftBoy
06-08-2011, 11:50 AM
The only part I question on this is how spending a year off the field will make him better at making decisions on the field. I mean if your saying he needs coaching, I agree but why can't he get that from an NFL team? I would think putting him on a squad where he knows he's not playing anytime soon but can still prep for games, take part in NFL caliber practices, get NFL caliber coaching, and play in preseason games would seem to be what he needs.

1. Because he needs to grow up and I think him running straight to the moeny shows teams he's not ready.

2. Because I think he needs that much 1 on 1 attention that he cant get on a NFL squad.

The question is does he want to take this seriously or not.

mikemac2001
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
He seems like a "ME" guy

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Why do you say that?

He's not currently suspended by anybody since he left OSU.

Oh, I thought there was a rule in place with someone on suspension not being able to go into the supplemental draft. I guess I was wrong.

stuckincincy
06-08-2011, 02:52 PM
Part of the issue during his recruiting was that a few teams asked him about moving to WR/TE and he was very clear that he had zero interest in doing that.

Not surprising. He is reminding me of CIN's #6 pick in '06...Texas A&M qb Reggie McNeal. Got the call, was adamant that he was a qb.

Idiot B'gals signed him (one more of the owner's legendary "bargain picks") and forked over the signing $ plus the (hefty, to you and me) min. NFL weekly paycheck.

Arrested for some sort of a civil indiscretion while in camp. IIRC, he was on the roster for a few games. Now forgotten.

No to Pryor.

Extremebillsfan247
06-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Levi Brown is a better QB and he struggled to even make this team last year. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on Pryor.

T-Long
06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I would rather spend a late round pick on him and give the guy at least a chance to succeed then to sit around with Levi Brown. The guy is a great athlete and could find a spot somewhere on an NFL roster. I wouldn't waste a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on the guy, but if he costs a 5th rounder or later? I have no problem with it whatsoever. Hell, the majority of these draft picks in the later rounds even make the team/practice squad. Why not take the chance?

Mr. Pink
06-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Pryor has poor mechanics, doesn't read defenses well, tucks the ball too much instead of looking downfield and some of his passes tend to float. Combine that with his off the field issues and everything else and I don't see how an NFL team signs themselves up for that guy.

He'll be the next MVP of the UFL or whatever that leagues called, he can go head to head vs JP Losman in their Championship game.

Extremebillsfan247
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
I would rather spend a late round pick on him and give the guy at least a chance to succeed then to sit around with Levi Brown. The guy is a great athlete and could find a spot somewhere on an NFL roster. I wouldn't waste a Day 1 or Day 2 pick on the guy, but if he costs a 5th rounder or later? I have no problem with it whatsoever. Hell, the majority of these draft picks in the later rounds even make the team/practice squad. Why not take the chance?
Taking a chance on him if you lost nothing by doing it (example: undrafted free agent), then I could see giving him a shot. But we are talking about giving up draft picks to get him. Regardless of the round, giving up draft picks when they are your primary source for building your team is counterproductive. Long story short, it's not a very good idea.

YardRat
06-09-2011, 05:54 AM
http://www.lancastereaglegazette.com/article/20110609/SPORTS/106090319/CFL-team-looking-into-Terrelle-Pryor?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

The Saskatchewan Roughriders have acquired the negotiating rights to Terrelle Pryor and have spoken to Pryor's lawyer about bringing the former Ohio State quarterback to the Canadian Football League.

Pryor's attorney, Larry James, said Wednesday that the CFL is a genuine possibility for the ex-Buckeye.

"Yeah, it's like I told (the Roughriders). My house is not for sale, but at the right price, it's on the market," James said.

:rofl: at the attorney.

mysticsoto
06-09-2011, 11:39 AM
From rotoworld:

One NFC general manager says he would rate former Ohio State QB Terrelle Pryor's personality "dead last" if he was to make a character comparison between Pryor, Ryan Mallett, and Cam Newton.

"Like not-even-out-of-the-starting gate last," the GM said of Pryor's trust and reliability. "And it's probably only going to get worse." Per Yahoo's Jason Cole, there is "downright disdain" among NFL people for Pryor's "character flaws." Added one NFC head coach, "This kid sounds like he didn’t give a damn about anybody. He was just there for himself. He didn’t even try to hide it. He flaunted it. If you’re like that, it’s hard to be a quarterback."

DraftBoy
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
From rotoworld:

Over-reaction

FlyingDutchman
06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Nope. Hes not a NFL style QB, and although hes young and dumb, the lapse in judgement that went on for an extended period of time says too much about what type of person he is

YardRat
06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow. 62 votes. Pretty good response.

Night Train
06-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Ohio St. fan of 40+ years here. Watch all their games and saw Pryor play in person.

A 7th rounder and nothing more. He's still just an athlete playing QB and needs tons of hard coaching.

Extremebillsfan247
06-10-2011, 07:14 PM
From rotoworld: I have a problem with that. Simply saying you don't think he is good enough, or he lacks the talent to be effective at the pro level would suffice, but for any Coach, GM, or Scout to publicly lash out against a prospect in that manor is unprofessional. That is something I would expect from the Mike Florios of the world, but not from a staff member of an NFL football team.

psubills62
06-10-2011, 09:50 PM
I have a problem with that. Simply saying you don't think he is good enough, or he lacks the talent to be effective at the pro level would suffice, but for any Coach, GM, or Scout to publicly lash out against a prospect in that manor is unprofessional. That is something I would expect from the Mike Florios of the world, but not from a staff member of an NFL football team.
Why, exactly? Everyone knows the kid is a punk, and a pretty daft one at that. It's been out there ever since he started being recruited. And yes, how a prospect acts is a big deal to the NFL front office personnel. They're the ones that have to take a risk and make sure they draft guys who won't get into trouble off the field.

X-Era
06-11-2011, 01:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/29396/bills-dolphins-good-places-terrelle-pryor

stuckincincy
06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
1. Because he needs to grow up and I think him running straight to the moeny shows teams he's not ready.

2. Because I think he needs that much 1 on 1 attention that he cant get on a NFL squad.

The question is does he want to take this seriously or not.

He reminds me of a 6th round pick by CIN in 2006 - Reggie McNeal. QB for Texas A&M.

Said he was a qb, not a wr. Got the bonus $$$ and then got into trouble. Was on the roster for several games, as a wr. Then got dumped. IIRC, he's now catching passes in the CFL.

Good athlete, no mind, just a ubiquitous struttin' jive boy - you can find them on any city corner. He reminded me of the Sportin' Life character from Porgy and Bess. That's Pryor.