PDA

View Full Version : Should we re-sign Whitner?

mjt328
06-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Follow to Poz post.
Full article:
http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-donte-whitner.html

We all know the team should have drafted Pro-Bowl tackle Haloti Ngata instead.
We all know Whitner lacks the talent of top NFL safeties like Ed Reed and Troy
Polamalu. But that doesn't mean Whitner can't be a contributor.

Like every player, Whitner has strengths and he has weaknesses.
It's
hard to ignore a player that racks up 140 tackles in a season, which Whitner
did in 2010 thanks in part to the team's switch to a 3-4 defensive scheme. But
as solid as he's been against the run, Whitner has struggled just as badly in
coverage. His Week 7 performance last year against Todd Heap was as awful as
they come.

jamze132
06-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Uh. No. Under no circumstances should we re-sign that douche.

Jan Reimers
06-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Only for a very reasonable price. But Whitner will want far too much.

OpIv37
06-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Hell no.

Do you people like losing? Guys like Poz and Whitner aren't good enough. Until we find upgrades, we will continue to lose.

User Manuel
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
No, he is part of the problem, not part of the solution. He simply will not be worth the money, whatever it is, unless it is a decrease.

trapezeus
06-08-2011, 12:46 PM
bills drafted his replacement already and have adequate depth that plays up to the current whitner standard right now.

Zero chance of whitner coming back.

Poz, they didn't really address the ILB position adequately to feel like they could handle injuries and not be fully depleted. they may be forced to sign him if there isn't FA to fill in on the ILB front.

streetkings01
06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
I actually feel more comfortable with Bryan Scott playing SS than I do Whitner. He's bigger, better in coverage and more physical than Whitner.

Novacane
06-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Sure.............if he'll take vet min and be content as a backup.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-08-2011, 02:05 PM
poz yes, whitner- hell no. searcy is stronger vs the run and can cover the slot. scott and wilson are only 30 and byrd is a pro bowler.

Raptor
06-09-2011, 09:25 AM
NO...I would rather have Wilson in there then Whitner.

Prov401
06-10-2011, 09:12 AM
poz yes, whitner- hell no. searcy is stronger vs the run and can cover the slot. scott and wilson are only 30 and byrd is a pro bowler.

lol. Searcy hasn't played a down in the NFL. That's such a silly statement.

And yes. Of course we should resign our best safety. Definitely shouldn't break the bank for him though.

trapezeus
06-10-2011, 12:44 PM
if whitner signed with another team, it would mean, at the very least, one game every 4 years where our TEs would have a great game.

you got to let him go for that reason alone.

Bill Cody
06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
no

Extremebillsfan247
06-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Follow to Poz post.
Full article:
http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-donte-whitner.html I think I'm done talking about Whitner, Poz. If they come back great, if they don't, fantastic. I'll continue to be a Bills fan with or without them here. Now, if it comes down to benefit of the team, regardless if we like him or not, losing Whitner will be felt by this team a lot more than losing Poz will. Whitner is more versatile. He could play any of up to 4 different positions on our defense, Poz doesn't have that kind of range in ability. On a team that sees a lot of injuries virtually every season, versatility is almost priceless especially among starters. But, that's my opinion.

TigerJ
06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Poz is a much more important piece of the Buffalo defensive puzzle right now than Whitner. I'm not opposed to re-signing him, but realistically, I don't think he's worth his asking price to the Bills, so I don't expect it to happen.