PDA

View Full Version : Who was the best Bills QB after Jim Kelly?

X-Era
06-11-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm leaving out Fitzpatrick. Let's face it, some of you homers will pick the current guy.

This ought to be good.

don137
06-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Wow, talk about picking the tallest dwarf. IMO, Ithink Fitzshould be there whether he is the current QB or not.

Night Train
06-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Took me a second to select Flutie. He won but Ralph ordered RJ to start. Meddling fool.

Bledsoe was on fire the first 7 games of 2002 and then played poorly in the clutch most games after. I was against that aquisition from the start, due to his shortcoming between the earholes.

The rest I'm trying to purge from my memory.

ParanoidAndroid
06-11-2011, 09:27 AM
For anyone voting for Bledsoe over Flutie (which I almost did), the argument is this: Who was the best Bills QB since Kelly. While no one would disagree that Bledsoe had a better carreer, Flutie played better for the Bills than Bledsoe did, save that first half of '02 when Moulds and Peerless were both top 5 WR's.
Flutie won games for Buffalo. He moved the ball and scored when the Bills needed it.

TacklingDummy
06-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Wow, talk about picking the tallest dwarf.
Actually it's picking the shortest dwarf.

BillsFanCupp38
06-11-2011, 10:02 AM
Flutie was a winner... Bledsoe was a baller... I'll take the winner.

Stewie
06-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Bledsoe was the best QB. It was glaringly obvious to all that he needed an all pro line to be effective, but his effective was 4000 yards and 25 touchdowns.

Dr. Lecter
06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Beldsoe and it is not even close

Buckets
06-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Jack Kemp

YardRat
06-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Dreeeeeeewwwww.

Ebenezer
06-11-2011, 02:57 PM
If Bledsoe had had anything resembling an offensive line he might have passed for 5000 yards.

Jan Reimers
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Say what you will about his being a midget, or that we won with defense, or whatever, but Flutie got it done. He was a winner.

Just look at his record compared to any of the other guys.

It's Flutie hands down.

Electrici
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Flutie, no questions asked.

YardRat
06-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Flutie was better than Johnson...That ain't saying much.

Philagape
06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
It was glaringly obvious to all that he needed an all pro line to be effective

Which is exactly why he's not the best.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-11-2011, 05:14 PM
I think flutie would have won the SB for us that year.
oh well
I still have my box of Flutie Flakes on my desk where it will remain forever

THE END OF ALL DAYS
06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
who the hell picked Edwards? are you itchin fer a fight?
:)

djjimkelly
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
joe ferguson lol jack kemp why arent they on list

madness
06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Jim Kelly, Joe Ferguson, Jack Kemp, Drew Bledsoe then Doug Flutie

Mr. Pink
06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Bledsoe is so much better than anyone else on that list it's not even funny.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-11-2011, 06:16 PM
flutie, its not even close. winning is what matters and if he would have played against tennesse we would have won by 10.... 99 was our superbowl year and benching him was a huge mistake!

TacklingDummy
06-11-2011, 06:19 PM
flutie, its not even close. winning is what matters and if he would have played against tennesse we would have won by 10.... 99 was our superbowl year and benching him was a huge mistake!
100% Agree.

Mr. Pink
06-11-2011, 06:28 PM

So just completely ignore what Flutie did the previous year in the playoffs vs Miami.

If Rob Johnson plays that game, the Bills win.

Besides, Johnson started Week 1 the following season vs the eventual 13-3 Titans and lead them to a W. AND when Johnson walked off the field he put them in a position where they should have won.

justasportsfan
06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
So just completely ignore what Flutie did the previous year in the playoffs vs Miami.

Besides, Johnson started Week 1 the following season vs the eventual 13-3 Titans and lead them to a W. AND when Johnson walked off the field he put them in a position where they should have won.

you're forgetting that it was Flutie who took the bills to the playoffs vs. miami to begin with. The he too took us to the playoffs vs. the titans. Whe Robosack was qb, we went on a losing streak .

BADTHINGSMAN
06-11-2011, 07:38 PM
:rofl: I forgot all about Billy Joe Hobert so i had to but really IMO its Bledsoe. Makes me wonder with a better oline if he would have came close to Marino's record.

TacklingDummy
06-11-2011, 09:30 PM
Marino made his o-line look better than it was by getting rid of the ball quick. He never had a running game because his o-line was never really all that good.

Bledsoe made his o-lines look worse by holding onto the ball too long.

BoyILuvLoznStupidly
06-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I say Flutie, he should have played in the playoffs.

I was at the Jags/Bills game where Flutie ran in for a TD on the botched play inside the 5 yard line to win the game. He also went to the pro bowl that year. I bet he would have taken us deep into the playoffs.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-11-2011, 09:52 PM

and the debate begins...

1- johnson played against miami in 98 weeks 2 and sucked. he was sacked like 9 times.

2 flutie played week 8 in 98 vs miami and won 30-24 and then barely lost in the wildcard game where he almost threw for 400 yards. keep in mind in this game our secondary was without thomas smith, no sam cowart for 3 qtrs, no phil hansen.. and we still should have won....

3 99 flutie was the main reason we won against baltimore a team similar to the titans.

4 flutie was 10-5 as a starter with 2 games without moulds.

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-12-2011, 09:50 AM
robosack was awful, but he was not the reason we lost the 'homerun throwup' game. He was solid. Not spectacular, but solid and put us in a position to win that game. Flutie was the best even though i accidentally pressed drew bledsoe

FlyingDutchman
06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Flutie. Once teams figured out all they had to do was blitz Bledsoe, he was average, and at times painful to watch. He did have the best year of any QB we've had since Kelly though

tampabay25690
06-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Im gonna go Bledsoe....
It was tuff becasue I was not a Flutie fan but the guy brought it to another level while in Buffalo....
Bledsoe by a small margin...

LarryBoy
06-12-2011, 11:42 AM
I've still got a box of Flutie Flakes around here somewhere...

mjt328
06-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Drew Bledsoe had the most talent and he looked awesome the first 7-8 games we had him. But then something happened and he regressed into an immobile and innacurate turnover machine.

Doug Flutie had none of the physical tools that people look for in a quarterback. He also had lots of bad games - statistically. But he knew how to make plays when it counted and we rarely lost with him under center. And winning is ALL that matters in the end.

djjimkelly
06-12-2011, 06:20 PM
your all forgetting that during the flutie years

the bills had by far the best defense in the NFL

flutie was very average

he was like dilfer on the ravens

Johnny Bugmenot
06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
joe ferguson lol jack kemp why arent they on list
Because, um, they came BEFORE Jim Kelly.

warsawbassman
06-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Flutie got this team to the playoffs.............twice. Bledsoe crapped his pants when a playoff birth was on the line in 04' vs. the Steelers backups. Doug Flutie's play in 1998 is one of the main reasons the Bills are still in Buffalo. The staduim lease was going to run out, they were not selling the club seats required to re-up the lease. Fan interest was way down following Kelly's, and Levy's retierment. Bruce, Andre, and Thurman were old and no longer dominant. 1997 was bad. The came Flutie and 1998.......boxes sold, lease renewed, stadium renovated. Bills still in Buffalo.

Yeah.......... sorry if thats not as good as Bledsoes 4000 yard, .500 season in which the bills went 3-5 in the 2nd half..................WTF?!?!. Stats are not the only mesuring stick.

MikeInRoch
06-12-2011, 07:15 PM
And the ridiculous over-rating of Flutie lives on.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Do I seriously need to remind you of the 3-13 season the Bills had when Johnson was starter? There is a reason Rob Johnson never amounted to anything but a third-stringer when he left Buffalo. He could run a QB sweep better than anyone and could show you a flash or two of incredible talent, but when called upon to lead a team for a season, either got injured or bombed. Rob was a great short-term backup in his time here-- but he was a terrible starter.

As far as the main question goes, you can't argue with results. Only one QB has led this team to the playoffs since Kelly, and that's Flutie. In the three seasons he started there was not a single losing season. He had what it took to get the job done. Yes, he had great defense to help him, but Bledsoe lost several 10-6 games in '03-- the types of games Flutie would've won 13-10. Bledsoe came awfully close with that 9-7 season, but in the end he was too inconsistent to finish the job with the tools he was given.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I certainly don't think saying that Flutie is better than the horrendous crop of losers that have occupied the revolving door that is the Bills quarterback position is THAT much of a stretch. We're talking about an argument on the order of who got the highest test score in a special-ed class.

ServoBillieves
06-12-2011, 07:27 PM
Craig Nall and Shane Matthews, hands down.

MikeNC
06-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Kay Stevenson

Billz_fan
06-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Dam I look at that list and it's hard to believe thats what we have had for QB's since Kelly. Good Lord. Anyone asks why haven't the Bills been in the playoffs since the 90's ?

You just whip this list out and show them :laughter:

swiper
06-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Flutie.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Craig Nall and Shane Matthews, hands down.
Ah, good ol' Craig. Never really did get much of a chance, with all the inopportunely timed injuries. Had he been healthy... given that his competition was Losman and Edwards, he may have been the best quarterback they had at the time, and that's not saying much.

BillsFanCupp38
06-13-2011, 09:54 AM

Flutie single handedly would win games for us... What more do you want?

justasportsfan
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM

If you consider the list ,it's not hard to pick him over the others.

The Jokeman
06-13-2011, 01:59 PM
I say Flutie, he should have played in the playoffs.

I was at the Jags/Bills game where Flutie ran in for a TD on the botched play inside the 5 yard line to win the game. He also went to the pro bowl that year. I bet he would have taken us deep into the playoffs.
Umm THAT year Flutie had a chance to lead us deep in the playoffs but he literally dropped the ball when he got sacked by Trace Armstrong and fumbled the ball. The following year when he played worse was when he got benched. That said I voted for the jackass but still think had RJ been able to play the rest of 1998 and 1999 he might have developed into a better QB but there's no way to prove it.

Syderick
06-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Definetly Flutie! He was a winner.

Bledsoe had one good stats year and was crap after that. He could even hit 3000 yards in a season after 02. In 04 when the Bills had a good defence he still couldn't get them to the playoffs and played like garbage.

Philagape
06-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Flutie and Bledsoe both had remarkable half-season runs here and were pretty inconsistent otherwise.
The difference is, as was pointed out, Bledsoe needed help to be effective while Flutie could carry the team on his back during his peak.

imbondz
06-13-2011, 10:12 PM
that list is torture.

but for me it's Flutie, based on that face that he won games, and was exciting to watch. If Bledsoe had a better supporting cast, he probably would be 2nd. Always liked Bledsoe

X-Era
06-14-2011, 05:41 AM
that list is torture.

but for me it's Flutie, based on that face that he won games, and was exciting to watch. If Bledsoe had a better supporting cast, he probably would be 2nd. Always liked BledsoeThe list is torture and our record has been torture... I wonder if there is a relationship there? :D

chernobylwraiths
06-14-2011, 05:54 AM
For anyone voting for Bledsoe over Flutie (which I almost did), the argument is this: Who was the best Bills QB since Kelly. While no one would disagree that Bledsoe had a better carreer, Flutie played better for the Bills than Bledsoe did, save that first half of '02 when Moulds and Peerless were both top 5 WR's.
Flutie won games for Buffalo. He moved the ball and scored when the Bills needed it.

This.

While not a great QB, Flutie brought the team in for winning scores plenty of times. Flutie won with what he had, Bledsoe couldn't.

And it isn't even close.

chernobylwraiths
06-14-2011, 05:55 AM
Umm THAT year Flutie had a chance to lead us deep in the playoffs but he literally dropped the ball when he got sacked by Trace Armstrong and fumbled the ball. The following year when he played worse was when he got benched. That said I voted for the jackass but still think had RJ been able to play the rest of 1998 and 1999 he might have developed into a better QB but there's no way to prove it.

delusional

Historian
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
This is like asking..."Who was the best President since Clinton?"

Oye Vey.

Van Pelt.

At least he was good for a few laughs.

And Spartacus votes for Travis Brown. It's a shame what we did to him.

chernobylwraiths
06-14-2011, 03:43 PM
This is like asking..."Who was the best President since Clinton?"

Or who is the smartest zoner.

Bill Cody
06-14-2011, 05:22 PM
Doug Flutie brought a franchise on life support back from the dead. It's amazing to me how little respect he gets. He had his limitations but he was very exciting to watch and he won games. He had moxie. RJ couldn't hold his jockstrap.

Drew Bledsoe is just short of being a hall of fame QB. He also gets little respect. It's true he needed a line to succeed and he got worn down here after getting creamed every week but the man had a golden arm. He hasn't played in years but you could send him to Arizona for a couple months and he'd be better than Fitz.

It's actually a damn close call IMO but Bledsoe would be my pick.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-15-2011, 09:16 AM
And Spartacus votes for Travis Brown. It's a shame what we did to him. Who let that guy out of the Spin Zone? Call security!