PDA

View Full Version : Re-Sign Drayton Florence?

mjt328
06-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Historically, the Bills have been a revolving door at cornerback.
Talents like Nate Odomes, Jeff Burris, Thomas Smith, Antoine Winfield and Nate Clements have come and gone over the years - only to be replaced by younger defensive backs with lower price tags and less starting experience. Only time will tell if Drayton Florence can be added to that list.
After a disastrous season in Jacksonville, few expected Florence to be a big contributor for the Bills when he signed as a free agent in 2009. He still isn't a Pro-Bowl caliber player, but Florence has managed to start 29 of Buffalo's last 32 games at cornerback - and done a decent job at it. Some would argue that he's been the Bills best defensive back since joining the team.
Exceeding expectations has a price tag, though. And the Bills will probably have to shell out a decent contract to retain his future services.

Full Article
http://buffalobillsstampede.blogspot.com/2011/06/should-bills-re-sign-drayton-florence.html

NOT THE DUDE...
06-11-2011, 11:16 AM
he turns 31 in december. give him a 3 year deal. hes solid

Lone Stranger
06-11-2011, 01:06 PM
I like him. He's a solid player and would help solidify the secondary.

Yasgur's Farm
06-11-2011, 05:44 PM
3 year $10M

YardRat
06-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I'd rather resign Florence than Whitner, or even Poz.

Luisito23
06-11-2011, 09:35 PM
3 year deal sounds good.

NOT THE DUDE...
06-11-2011, 09:54 PM
i wouldnt mind letting him go if mcgee was healthy for the past 3 years. each of the past 3 years he has been hurt... i cant say i can depend on him... so it seems we should move on with florence.... jmo

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2011, 12:04 AM
letting florence go would be stupid. just like it was stupid to let jabari greer go.

justasportsfan
06-12-2011, 09:41 AM
letting florence go would be stupid. just like it was stupid to let jabari greer go.
actually , letting Jabari go ended up in bringing Florence in. With that said, yes. We should bring Florence back. The deeper the cb situation the better.

BertSquirtgum
06-12-2011, 11:34 AM
jabari greer is better than florence, imo. so, it was stupid to let him go. it will be just as stupid to let florence go. i don't want to see reggie corner starting at cb this year.

tampabay25690
06-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Depends what type of $$ he's looking for....
$3 mill per is fine....

DraftBoy
06-12-2011, 10:41 PM
If the price is right then yes, the youth we have behind him has potential but not sure they are ready to play immediately.

OpIv37
06-13-2011, 02:36 PM
This is one I would keep. He's one of the few decent people we have, and I think he's been the most underrated player on the team over the last 2 years.

Plus, McGee is old and can't stay healthy, and while McKelvin isn't an epic Maybinesque bust, he isn't living up to expectations. That means Florence is the best corner on the team.

Buddo
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Florence will not be re-signed for a measly $3 million per. The going rate for a decent corner has to be around the $4 -5 million mark, and I think he deserves to get that. 3 years sounds fine.
I see Florence as still starting outside this year, but moving to the nickel for the last couple of years, assuming he's re-signed. He's a pretty physical corner, and was probably best suited to the nickel all along, but injuries have meant he's ended up playing outside, a lot.
A fit McGee, imho, is still our best corner, but Florence atm is comfortably our second best.
While Florence gets his share of penalties, he's getting them, by and large, while in the right place, where it's because he's with the receiver.
McKelvin may have a boatload more of natural ability, but he's still very much learning the position at the pro level. Florence simply doesn't bite on all the little pump fakes etc., that McKelvin does ( although he did improve some in that respect, as the season went on).