PDA

View Full Version : The forecast at offensive tackle

justasportsfan
06-13-2011, 10:05 AM
In 2010 the Bills offensive tackle position was one marked by injury and more change than Buffalo’s coaching staff would’ve preferred to endure. Heading into the 2011 campaign there are still questions, but the Bills assistants believe they have the answers on their roster.

Buffalo was a bit hamstrung at the tackle position from the very start last season as neither of their projected starting tackles were healthy heading into the season.

“For us at that point in time we were trying to find the best fit and at the time Cornell (Green) was the best fit,” said Bills offensive line coach Joe D’Alessandris. “Injury came about for him. Demetrius (Bell) we knew his situation coming into the season. It was rehab, rehab, rehab and no strength training in his lower body because of trying to get on the field from the injury he had the year before.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/The-forecast-at-offensive-tackle/c74a33d2-ed8e-4147-86e2-dddd3d170f8b

Night Train
06-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Pears looks like the RT as of now. Hariston was a 5th rounder ( not 4th as Brown stated ) and needs tons of coaching this first year. Slow out of his stance but the staff sees something to work with. Probably further along with his run blocking ability.

Bills seem to have interior depth. Tackle is the concern.

k-oneputt
06-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Tackle has been the concern for at least ten years.

Johnny Bugmenot
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Buffalo was a bit hamstrung at the tackle position from the very start last season as the team waited until the fifth round to draft one, when they knew it was a position of need, and then moved him to guard, then they cut the other one they drafted.
Fixed. Now, if only the Bills could actually ADMIT their mistakes...

justasportsfan
06-13-2011, 10:56 AM
cutting players and firing Modrak isn't an admission of mistakes?

better days
06-13-2011, 11:00 AM

What mistakes would you like them to admit to? Mistakes others before them made? The mistake of not drafting an average OT in the 1st or a below average OT in the 2nd rnd when much better defensive players were available?

TigerJ
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
As far as admitting mistakes is concerned, the Bills really don't owe that to the fans. You simply deduce it as a fan from the steps they take after a mistake is obvious to everyone.

Now, we all know that Chris Brown's job is to put a positive spin on virtually everything that happens at OBD. Still, there are some encouraging facts in this story. Eric Pears was not in optimum shape when he came in and started for the Bills, and did a passable job. He's coming back bigger and stronger. Bell, had no opportunity to really get stronger in his lower body last offseason, and did OK under the circumstances. He's been healthy this offseason, and if he's as dedicated as he seems to be, has presumably used the time to build his strength. Cordaro Howard was an undrafted free agent, so I'm not expecting a lot from him, but after a season and an offseason in the system, he will be better than he was. Wang and Hairston will be in the picture. I don't expect all pro perfomances at the tackle spot, but it should be better than last season, and we should have better debt too.

psubills62
06-13-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm sure next time they'll look at this and remember to call you up to confess their mistakes outright.

WeAreArthurMoates
06-13-2011, 11:54 AM
Pears looks like the RT as of now. Hariston was a 5th rounder ( not 4th as Brown stated ) and needs tons of coaching this first year. Slow out of his stance but the staff sees something to work with. Probably further along with his run blocking ability.

Bills seem to have interior depth. Tackle is the concern.

Ummm, Harriston was a fourth rounder, he was the 2nd of the fourth round picks.

Buddo
06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
While only a small piece, I like what this article says.
Particularly in respect of Pears. If he pans out, he's still young enough to get several decent years from him.
While I think it was the most likely reason the coaching staff liked him when he came in, to hear them say that Pears plays the down exactly as asked to, is nice to have confirmed.
TBH, I still think we need additional depth at tackle, as if Bell goes down, I don't much fancy our chances, without getting exceptional play from either a rookie, or Pears, or both. Ideally we need a FA swing tackle backup, but that is probably asking for a minor miracle. ;)
Best bet is probably to try and find a serviceable vet FA to back up RT, so Pears can go across if Bell does go down. The rookies, are just that, and while they may become viable back up options next year, I can't see it for this year necessarily.

mysticsoto
06-14-2011, 07:31 AM
While only a small piece, I like what this article says.
Particularly in respect of Pears. If he pans out, he's still young enough to get several decent years from him.
While I think it was the most likely reason the coaching staff liked him when he came in, to hear them say that Pears plays the down exactly as asked to, is nice to have confirmed.
TBH, I still think we need additional depth at tackle, as if Bell goes down, I don't much fancy our chances, without getting exceptional play from either a rookie, or Pears, or both. Ideally we need a FA swing tackle backup, but that is probably asking for a minor miracle. ;)
Best bet is probably to try and find a serviceable vet FA to back up RT, so Pears can go across if Bell does go down. The rookies, are just that, and while they may become viable back up options next year, I can't see it for this year necessarily.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Pears will hold the position for long. Either Hairston or perhaps Cordaro Howard or even Mansfield Wrotto will probably take it from him. I don't view Pears very highly, and while I think he's still better than Cornell Green, I think a better option might present itself...

TigerJ
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think Pears will hold the position for long. Either Hairston or perhaps Cordaro Howard or even Mansfield Wrotto will probably take it from him. I don't view Pears very highly, and while I think he's still better than Cornell Green, I think a better option might present itself...

You might be right. I just don't think we have enough information to make really well informed predictions on this issue. Some have said Pears really struggled the last time he was a starter for a team, but I've also heard that he did a pretty good job under difficult circumstances when he played for the Bills last season. I do know that Wrotto has expressed the opinion to the Bills that he feels more comfortabl at guard, and he hopes that's where the Bills will use him. That probably means that the competition is between Pears, Hairston, Howard, and possibly Wang. A comment was made last season by someone from the Bills coaching staff that Wang seemed to be more suited to guard, but he has worked at tackle in practice.

Buddo
06-14-2011, 07:03 PM

There was also another comment in respect of Pears that was interesting, and that was that he wasn't at the right weight or strength level, and that Pears himself recognised this. If he has worked on both those aspects, and I suspect he's been given a regime to do so, then I can see him comfortably beating out anyone else on the roster for the position this year. Too much inexperience in the competition atm.
With an O-Line, if they are all doing what they are supposed to do, the sum of the whole, is far greater than that of the individual parts.
You can easily get better performance from the Right side of the line this year, simply from having a guy do what he's supposed to do, on each play. With the revolving whatever situation we had last year, you can bet your bottom $ that at least a portion of what seemed simply poor play, was caused by assignments not being properly followed.
I think it's also quite amusing, that you have an O=Lineman, who's supposed to be putting on the lbs, rather than shedding them. ;)

acehole
06-15-2011, 08:44 AM
read this left me feeling blah.....

our system...is quick hits so less emphasis on holding blocks but...ugg,

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/The-forecast-at-offensive-tackle/c74a33d2-ed8e-4147-86e2-dddd3d170f8b