PDA

View Full Version : For all those giving DeMaurice Smith crap

ddaryl
06-16-2011, 12:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6663832&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

How close it got to that point is a matter of opinion. The moment may have come shortly after lawyers from both sides were brought back into the process at an undisclosed location in the Washington, D.C., area.

As tensions rose and anger grew, two sources said NFLPA leader DeMaurice Smith instructed his lawyers to "stand down."

With lawyers removed from the direct negotiations, the process was said to be getting back on track and to be in a good spot. The scenario Tuesday is an example of how tenuous the talks can be and how quickly they can be derailed.
But it also is proof that Smith and the players and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the owners have taken the process out of the hands of the attorneys and demanded control to hammer out a collective bargaining agreement.

During winter negotiations, many around the league worried lawyers were controlling the process. But Tuesday's events are the strongest evidence to date they are not.

Just posting this because of the huge amounts of comments coming from those who insisted he was the problem... but that was coming mostly from the anti-player pro-owner side of the debate...

I find it extremely encouraged that this chain of events has occurred but the 2 sides kept it real, and stayed committed to the task at hand and told the lawyers to scram.

cpearl
06-16-2011, 03:53 PM
People keep saying that the lawyers are the problem and the lawyers need to go. I don't agree with that (disclaimer: I am a lawyer). I think they have the WRONG lawyers working for each side. A good lawyer can help with negotiations. The problem is, the lawyers working here are also involved in other CBA issues in other professional sports leagues (both on Union and Owner sides). This is a serious conflict of interest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/16/another-reason-to-be-leery-about-the-lawyers/

better days
06-16-2011, 04:12 PM
People keep saying that the lawyers are the problem and the lawyers need to go. I don't agree with that (disclaimer: I am a lawyer). I think they have the WRONG lawyers working for each side. A good lawyer can help with negotiations. The problem is, the lawyers working here are also involved in other CBA issues in other professional sports leagues (both on Union and Owner sides). This is a serious conflict of interest.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/06/16/another-reason-to-be-leery-about-the-lawyers/

Well, I see no reason lawyers for either side want to see this settled anytime soon when there are still many billable hours available to be charged.

jamze132
06-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Let's play some friggin football damn it!

alohabillsfan
06-17-2011, 05:19 AM
I reason Demarice Smith is getting so much ****, is because of his comments and attitude.

ddaryl
06-17-2011, 08:51 AM
I reason Demarice Smith is getting so much ****, is because of his comments and attitude.

perceived attitude by those who chose to think he is and or/was the main problem..

he is representing the people who hired him.. and that requires not bending over or rolling over... which means yes their is going to be some hard lined quotes...

Owners were doing the same damn thing through their actions and media blitzes...

OpIv37
06-17-2011, 09:00 AM
perceived attitude by those who chose to think he is and or/was the main problem..

he is representing the people who hired him.. and that requires not bending over or rolling over... which means yes their is going to be some hard lined quotes...

Owners were doing the same damn thing through their actions and media blitzes...

First, the fact that he called off lawyers now is too little, too late. You don't get to **** something up for 4 months then take credit when you finally fix your own mistake.

Second, if he's really representing the people who hired him, why does he have them in a situation where they can't work or earn any money? There's a difference between bending over and compromising.

Third, even if the owners were to agree to every single one of the players' demands, he's still not necessarily representing the people who hired him. An agreement that's too harsh on the owners can undermine the stability of the league, and while it might put more green in the players' pockets short term, it's just as bad for them as it is for the owners in the long-term. Unions seem to consistently miss this point.

ddaryl
06-17-2011, 10:46 AM
LMAO ---- shoo

Extremebillsfan247
06-19-2011, 04:24 PM
As far as I'm concerned, he is a part of the problem, and not a part of the solution. Just like the League Owners, he is jockeying for position to get his side the best deal possible regardless of the consequences. I'm not one who will verbally pat him on the back because he told his lawyers to stand down. He wouldn't tell his lawyers to stand down unless there was something to gain by doing so.

There's a much bigger reason behind it than what we are being told. Both sides are guilty of trying to get the upper hand on the other instead of working together to try and resolve differences in the negotiation process. That's why I have a problem with Smith as well as the Owners. This isn't a poker game, the more both sides continue to approach it as such, the longer the process will take. JMO

ddaryl
06-20-2011, 07:28 AM
everything you said is common sense... but He is doing his job representing the players and getting them the best deal possible... Both sides are part of the problem... but guess what both sides are part of the solution to...

and yes there is something to gain by doing so.. a negotiated deal... that is his job. If he feels the points being discussed are in the players best interests then yes he is has something to gain.. COMMON SENSE

that is reality... if you were thinking that the 2 sides would come to some easy peasy agreement well that's a laugh.. Of course they are going to try to get the upper hand.. Happens everyday in politics etc.... Thats America, that's democracy, that's reality

I just brought this up because I remember viral posts of distinct hatred towards Smith by a few posters which I thought was laughable then, and still do...

I just have to laugh.....