• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Under the rumored CBA rules...

The rumor is that the new CBA will return FA to pre 2010 rules which allows for a player with 4 years of experience to hit the unrestricted market as opposed to being a RFA until 6 years of service. This makes three previously thought of Bills RFA's (over the next two seasons) off seasons now turn into UFA's. The two main names are;

WR Steve Johnson-Final Year of Contract
    OT Demetrius Bell-Final Year of Contract

Both of those are going to command a good chunk of money. Also considering McKelvin's contract is up after 2012 along with Byrd, Evans, Hangartner, Jackson, Levitre, and K. Williams we have a lot of big time decisions to make over the next two seasons.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: Under the rumored CBA rules...

Good, if Buddy and Whaley are the real deal it will show pretty quick.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Bell & Levitre are the most important. Bills have tried to stabilize the OL for how many years ?

RB & WR are always easy to find. I thought Kyle Williams was recently redone.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy
        The rumor is that the new CBA will return FA to pre 2010 rules which allows for a player with 4 years of experience to hit the unrestricted market as opposed to being a RFA until 6 years of service. This makes three previously thought of Bills RFA's (over the next two seasons) off seasons now turn into UFA's. The two main names are;

Both of those are going to command a good chunk of money. Also considering McKelvin's contract is up after 2012 along with Byrd, Evans, Hangartner, Jackson, Levitre, and K. Williams we have a lot of big time decisions to make over the next two seasons.
        So will all teams.

Comment

• BidsJr
          • Sep 2002

I'd like to know what QB's this would impact.
          "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

Johnson is a must IMO.. He is young and can possibly be our future #1.. i also believe he likes Buffalo so we want to keep him

We are going to have to spend close to 100% of the cap might as well pay a few of our UFA"s that is if we can't replace them with better UFA's
            Last edited by ddaryl; 06-22-2011, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Stewie
              Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
              • Aug 2002

Bell and Johnson should be resigned ASAP to prevent their exposure to the market. They could be offensive cogs for the next 7 years.

The rest of them, with the exception of Kyle Williams, can hit the road if they think they're worth more than average money.
              Originally posted by Topdog
              Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              I love Weiner.
              Originally posted by mercyrule
              also cheese

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

we have a ton of cap space i have no doubt both will get locked up during the season

Comment

• delectrolux
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by djjimkelly
                  we have a ton of cap space i have no doubt both will get locked up during the season
                  Seriously, the Bills are going to have like $80million in cap space. Their current salary is about $52M and the proposed cap will probably be around $140M...

Comment

• psubills62
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2008

If the Bills need to spend 90-93% of the cap, we should be able to lock up a LOT of our current players - not that I'm sure we really want to. Johnson, Byrd, and Bell are definitely three I'd like to see with long-term contracts.

Also, the good thing is that if we need to spend money up to the cap, we should be able to front-load a lot of these contracts to get up to the necessary cap number. That will make the players happy and more willing to sign. I might not have any of this right, though I'm sure clump or someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
                    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR
                      So will all teams.
                      Yes....however Im pointing out how this directly effects the Bills.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                        • Sep 2008

I was going to put out a thread of how those new supposed rules will effect this years UFAs. To make a long story short, it's a bad year to be an unrestricted free agent. Any player in this years pool is going to want a very quick resolution to this lockout or it's going to be tough to get the contract he wants. In example: Donte Whitner talks about how he wants a certain amount of money in order to play in Buffalo. The longer this lockout takes, the less likely he is of getting that no matter which team he goes to.

Now, I could be wrong here about actual number but there will probably be close to, if not more than 200 unrestricted free agents with a very small amount of time to get signed with a team as a result of this current lockout. As Albert Breer has said, "it's going to be a buyers market", a good number of these players, Whitner included, might actually find themselves taking a deal outside of what they are asking for just to get in somewhere to play in 2011.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Yes....however Im pointing out how this directly effects the Bills.
                          Well, I would say not very much. I would bet some other teams will be much more affected.

Comment

• Extremebillsfan247
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by better days
                            Well, I would say not very much. I would bet some other teams will be much more affected.
                            Some other teams will be more affected. But the immediate impact to the Bills and the decisions they will make over the next couple of years in respect to contracts will be significant. There's going to be a large roster turn over here probably over the next 3 years as the Bills struggle to get some of these guys under new contracts. The Bills wont be able to keep all of them. JMO
                            Last edited by Extremebillsfan247; 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days
                              You dont think making two of youngest starters, at positions we are already extremely deficient at, UFA's two years early is a great effect?
                              COMING SOON...

Comment

Working...
                              X