PDA

View Full Version : Under the rumored CBA rules...

DraftBoy
06-22-2011, 06:54 AM
The rumor is that the new CBA will return FA to pre 2010 rules which allows for a player with 4 years of experience to hit the unrestricted market as opposed to being a RFA until 6 years of service. This makes three previously thought of Bills RFA's (over the next two seasons) off seasons now turn into UFA's. The two main names are;

WR Steve Johnson-Final Year of Contract
OT Demetrius Bell-Final Year of Contract

Both of those are going to command a good chunk of money. Also considering McKelvin's contract is up after 2012 along with Byrd, Evans, Hangartner, Jackson, Levitre, and K. Williams we have a lot of big time decisions to make over the next two seasons.

BidsJr
06-22-2011, 07:04 AM
Good, if Buddy and Whaley are the real deal it will show pretty quick.

Night Train
06-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Bell & Levitre are the most important. Bills have tried to stabilize the OL for how many years ?

RB & WR are always easy to find. I thought Kyle Williams was recently redone.

THATHURMANATOR
06-22-2011, 07:56 AM
The rumor is that the new CBA will return FA to pre 2010 rules which allows for a player with 4 years of experience to hit the unrestricted market as opposed to being a RFA until 6 years of service. This makes three previously thought of Bills RFA's (over the next two seasons) off seasons now turn into UFA's. The two main names are;

Both of those are going to command a good chunk of money. Also considering McKelvin's contract is up after 2012 along with Byrd, Evans, Hangartner, Jackson, Levitre, and K. Williams we have a lot of big time decisions to make over the next two seasons.
So will all teams.

BidsJr
06-22-2011, 08:02 AM
I'd like to know what QB's this would impact.

ddaryl
06-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Johnson is a must IMO.. He is young and can possibly be our future #1.. i also believe he likes Buffalo so we want to keep him

We are going to have to spend close to 100% of the cap might as well pay a few of our UFA"s that is if we can't replace them with better UFA's

Stewie
06-22-2011, 09:00 AM
Bell and Johnson should be resigned ASAP to prevent their exposure to the market. They could be offensive cogs for the next 7 years.

The rest of them, with the exception of Kyle Williams, can hit the road if they think they're worth more than average money.

djjimkelly
06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
we have a ton of cap space i have no doubt both will get locked up during the season

delectrolux
06-22-2011, 10:34 AM
we have a ton of cap space i have no doubt both will get locked up during the season

Seriously, the Bills are going to have like $80million in cap space. Their current salary is about $52M and the proposed cap will probably be around $140M...

psubills62
06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
If the Bills need to spend 90-93% of the cap, we should be able to lock up a LOT of our current players - not that I'm sure we really want to. Johnson, Byrd, and Bell are definitely three I'd like to see with long-term contracts.

Also, the good thing is that if we need to spend money up to the cap, we should be able to front-load a lot of these contracts to get up to the necessary cap number. That will make the players happy and more willing to sign. I might not have any of this right, though I'm sure clump or someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

DraftBoy
06-22-2011, 10:56 AM
So will all teams.

Yes....however Im pointing out how this directly effects the Bills.

Extremebillsfan247
06-22-2011, 11:00 AM

I was going to put out a thread of how those new supposed rules will effect this years UFAs. To make a long story short, it's a bad year to be an unrestricted free agent. Any player in this years pool is going to want a very quick resolution to this lockout or it's going to be tough to get the contract he wants. In example: Donte Whitner talks about how he wants a certain amount of money in order to play in Buffalo. The longer this lockout takes, the less likely he is of getting that no matter which team he goes to.

Now, I could be wrong here about actual number but there will probably be close to, if not more than 200 unrestricted free agents with a very small amount of time to get signed with a team as a result of this current lockout. As Albert Breer has said, "it's going to be a buyers market", a good number of these players, Whitner included, might actually find themselves taking a deal outside of what they are asking for just to get in somewhere to play in 2011.

better days
06-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes....however Im pointing out how this directly effects the Bills.

Well, I would say not very much. I would bet some other teams will be much more affected.

Extremebillsfan247
06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, I would say not very much. I would bet some other teams will be much more affected.Some other teams will be more affected. But the immediate impact to the Bills and the decisions they will make over the next couple of years in respect to contracts will be significant. There's going to be a large roster turn over here probably over the next 3 years as the Bills struggle to get some of these guys under new contracts. The Bills wont be able to keep all of them. JMO

DraftBoy
06-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Well, I would say not very much. I would bet some other teams will be much more affected.

You dont think making two of youngest starters, at positions we are already extremely deficient at, UFA's two years early is a great effect?

X-Era
06-22-2011, 11:58 AM

I think Bell and Johnson would be UFA's after next season. You need 4 years accrued, each has only 3 seasons under thier belt. they both had 08, 09, and 2010 count.

DraftBoy
06-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I think Bell and Johnson would be UFA's after next season. You need 4 years accrued, each has only 3 seasons under thier belt. they both had 08, 09, and 2010 count.

2011 makes 4, their current contracts runs through this season.

trapezeus
06-22-2011, 12:19 PM
the talk of forced cash minimums and earlier unrestricted FA makes me think that the current bills outlook is bleak.

Ralph will find a new way to screw everything up. you know he doesn't like parting with his cash.

ddaryl
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
the talk of forced cash minimums and earlier unrestricted FA makes me think that the current bills outlook is bleak.

Ralph will find a new way to screw everything up. you know he doesn't like parting with his cash.

Well UFA's will have a tougher time finding obscene money. If teams are spending close to the cap each season that won't be leaving lots of free money for FA's

When Ralph passs and sells.. and if the new owner needs to see some commitment I am positive many Bills fans abroad would buy a season ticket. I would donate it to a Buffalo charity for under privileged kids....

there are ways for us to keep this team.....

better days
06-22-2011, 01:07 PM
You dont think making two of youngest starters, at positions we are already extremely deficient at, UFA's two years early is a great effect?

I know for a fact some teams have MANY more players coming up for free agency. The Bills, as has been said will have plenty of money to resign players.

better days
06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Some other teams will be more affected. But the immediate impact to the Bills and the decisions they will make over the next couple of years in respect to contracts will be significant. There's going to be a large roster turn over here probably over the next 3 years as the Bills struggle to get some of these guys under new contracts. The Bills wont be able to keep all of them. JMO

The Bills will be able to keep everyone they want to keep. Because of the past cash to cap the Bills have followed, they will have plenty of money under the new cap. They will be able to keep the players they want to keep & maybe sign a player or two from team/teams that do not have the cap space the Bills have.

kingJofNYC
06-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Everyone's excited about the minimum floor being 100% of cap, and yet they fail to see that smaller market teams will no longer have cheap controllable assets.

FA after 4 years will hurt small market teams. Everyone wanted a rookie cap, well quicker FA is the downside. Can't have a rookie cap and keep contract lengths what they were, these guys want FA asap.

Finding that diamond late in the draft will prove costly under the new terms. You're no longer going to dangle some small/minor salary boost to keep a 5th round pick who's proven to be a stud, he won't take it because he knows FA is right around the corner. If you don't extend him proper he's out the door.

ddaryl
06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Everyone's excited about the minimum floor being 100% of cap, and yet they fail to see that smaller market teams will no longer have cheap controllable assets.

FA after 4 years will hurt small market teams. Everyone wanted a rookie cap, well quicker FA is the downside. Can't have a rookie cap and keep contract lengths what they were, these guys want FA asap.

Finding that diamond late in the draft will prove costly under the new terms. You're no longer going to dangle some small/minor salary boost to keep a 5th round pick who's proven to be a stud, he won't take it because he knows FA is right around the corner. If you don't extend him proper he's out the door.

quicker FA but less money left over for FA because teams have to spend almost ot he cap year after year... That will be a reality for all teams and FA's

better days
06-22-2011, 02:08 PM

If a 5th rnd pick turns out to be a stud, he deserves to be paid. Teams will not be wasting money on players that don't deserve it like Mike Williams & Aaron Maybin.

kingJofNYC
06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Right, but if you're hitting on your early round picks as well as a few undrafted/late round picks, you're going to have to make serious sacrifices.

And this whole 100% to the cap thing is just like cap to cash, so don't expect miracles. Bonuses will just be counted year 1 instead of being amortized over the life of the contract.

Again, small market teams should want cheap controllable assets, you won't get this with the new deal. Whatever, only time will tell.

psubills62
06-22-2011, 02:47 PM

I'm a little confused about parts of your post. First, the floor isn't going to be 100% of the cap...more like 90-93%. Second, quicker FA? That's the same FA as before, if memory serves me correctly. 2010 was the only year that's been different, as players needed 6 accrued years instead of 4.

As far as your last paragraph...I don't see that things will be any different than what they were before. Teams usually try to "extend him proper" anyway. Not sure I can think of an example of what you're talking about there, except maybe Jason Peters?

acehole
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
This sucks for us if true...we get a lot of milage out of our draft pics....

X-Era
06-22-2011, 04:29 PM
2011 makes 4, their current contracts runs through this season.OK. Were saying the same thing. Reading your OP, it looked like you were saying they were UFA's this year.

tampabay25690
06-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Seriously, the Bills are going to have like $80million in cap space. Their current salary is about $52M and the proposed cap will probably be around $140M...

From what I hear everyday, teams are going to be forced to spend near the cap anyway......
The new rules will not allow a team to be real LOW against the CAP.....

bigbub2352
06-22-2011, 08:10 PM
i would walk away from mckelvin he is not worth the money he makes now...just like whitner

skill players can be found every year in FA or Draft...sign up the Bell's and the Levitre's...Williams as well

Stevie Johnson should be our next Franchise WR if he continues to progress which mite squeeze evans out the door freeing up more money to re-sign and sign guys

X-Era
06-22-2011, 08:21 PM
i would walk away from mckelvin he is not worth the money he makes now...just like whitner

skill players can be found every year in FA or Draft...sign up the Bell's and the Levitre's...Williams as well

Stevie Johnson should be our next Franchise WR if he continues to progress which mite squeeze evans out the door freeing up more money to re-sign and sign guysAgree on Stevie. Personally, I hope for him to continue his growth but kind of expect him to do less this year.

jimbohastle51
06-22-2011, 09:01 PM
johnson, williams, and byrd are the only musts here. i hate to say this about levitre but he is more easily replacable than the best DT in football right now or one of the best ball skills safeties or a solid go to possession receiver in johnson.

HopefulBillsFan
06-22-2011, 09:28 PM

Stevie Johnson should be our next Franchise WR if he continues to progress which mite squeeze evans out the door freeing up more money to re-sign and sign guys

we don't need to squeeze out, we need to keep in!!

Bert102176
06-23-2011, 03:31 PM

yeah the cheap bastard

ServoBillieves
06-23-2011, 04:40 PM
At least there's a cap...