PDA

View Full Version : Pay Only For Talent

Mike
06-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Here is my theory on success. If you are going to pay for a player, make sure he is talented. Hopefully the NEW CBA will make it more enticing for teams like the Bills to pay for Talented players like Peppers vs players like Royal, Poz, Evens, etc...

Hope cash to cap is done. Hope the Bills are not as cheep on acquiring real TALENT. Hope that there is a Cap Minimum so Ralph actually spends some $$$... Its a miracle that the Bills ever had success, Bill Polian was Ralph's Lotto ticket winner with incredible a million to one odds... that paid...

SquishDaFish
06-23-2011, 04:30 AM
This team is already on the right path.Where have you been the last year or two? And Evans and Poz are good dont lump them in with Royal. Jeez some people have nothing better to do

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Are you saying to win in this league you need talented players? Brilliant!!!

Mahdi
06-23-2011, 09:06 AM
This team is already on the right path.Where have you been the last year or two? And Evans and Poz are good dont lump them in with Royal. Jeez some people have nothing better to do
I think the point here is that we want to pay 9mil a year to guys like Wayne, Andre Johnson and Fitzgerald rather than having to pay it to Evans who is not near those guys.

And not pay Poz wages that rival what Johnathan Vilma is getting if they decide to resign him.

Whatever the cap is going to be, we need to spend it on top notch talent. Not saying we have to bring in 10 FAs but the 2-3 or 4 that we bring in I would rather it be spent on a few high quality, expensive players instead of giving out a bunch of middle of the road contracts that bring us little return on investment.

Plus this is a team well positioned to add a couple high priced FAs and fill out the rest of the positions with all the young guys we have that we have been collecting in the lower rounds and UDFA that have been successful add ons.

jamze132
06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I bet the CBA is voted 30-2 again. Guess who won't like it because he won't be able to save $30M a year by not spending on players.

Extremebillsfan247
06-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Here is my theory on success. If you are going to pay for a player, make sure he is talented. Hopefully the NEW CBA will make it more enticing for teams like the Bills to pay for Talented players like Peppers vs players like Royal, Poz, Evens, etc...

Hope cash to cap is done. Hope the Bills are not as cheep on acquiring real TALENT. Hope that there is a Cap Minimum so Ralph actually spends some $$$... Its a miracle that the Bills ever had success, Bill Polian was Ralph's Lotto ticket winner with incredible a million to one odds... that paid...Talent by itself is overrated. Every player in the league has talent or they wouldn't be professional football players. Building a team on talent alone turns you into the Bengals. We need to do better than that to succeed in the NFL. You need players with raw leadership skill, good moral character, and some attitude on top of that talent to succeed on this level. JMO

better days
06-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Talent by itself is overrated. Every player in the league has talent or they wouldn't be professional football players. Building a team on talent alone turns you into the Bengals. We need to do better than that to succeed in the NFL. You need players with raw leadership skill, good moral character, and some attitude on top of that talent to succeed on this level. JMO

Agreed, but I would have used the Redskins rather than the Bengals as an example.

Mike
06-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Talent by itself is overrated. Every player in the league has talent or they wouldn't be professional football players. Building a team on talent alone turns you into the Bengals. We need to do better than that to succeed in the NFL. You need players with raw leadership skill, good moral character, and some attitude on top of that talent to succeed on this level. JMO

It is often said that the real successful people in the life, the really talented ones have one thing in common. Their relentless determination to achieve their goals. Everything else is either attainted or learned or gained one way or another. So heart, determination, leadership skills, attitude these are all talents too.

Extremebillsfan247
06-29-2011, 02:43 AM
It is often said that the real successful people in the life, the really talented ones have one thing in common. Their relentless determination to achieve their goals. Everything else is either attainted or learned or gained one way or another. So heart, determination, leadership skills, attitude these are all talents too. Talent does not equal heart, determination, and leadership. Talent is an above average base skill and nothing more. All those other things are intangibles. Not everyone with talent has heart, determination, or natural leadership ability. If everyone with talent had the ability to lead, anyone could play QB, or lead a defense, and not everyone with talent can do that. If every talented player in the league had heart and determination, we wouldn't have players in the NFL like Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, etc. Talent will only get you so far in a league built on it. You need more than that to succeed at that level. That is why players who come into the NFL thinking their talent is good enough to get them through usually fail.

BertSquirtgum
06-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Hope cash to cap is done. Hope the Bills are not as cheep on acquiring real TALENT. Hope that there is a Cap Minimum so Ralph actually spends some $$$... Its a miracle that the Bills ever had success, Bill Polian was Ralph's Lotto ticket winner with incredible a million to one odds... that paid...

this post is worse than the smell of regurgitation

Mike
06-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Talent does not equal heart, determination, and leadership. Talent is an above average base skill and nothing more. All those other things are intangibles. Not everyone with talent has heart, determination, or natural leadership ability. If everyone with talent had the ability to lead, anyone could play QB, or lead a defense, and not everyone with talent can do that. If every talented player in the league had heart and determination, we wouldn't have players in the NFL like Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, etc. Talent will only get you so far in a league built on it. You need more than that to succeed at that level. That is why players who come into the NFL thinking their talent is good enough to get them through usually fail.

I think you've missed my point completely. Athletic talent is not the only talent that exist in the world or the NFL. Leadership is also a talent, which some have and others don't. Character is a talent as well. I know your probably only to thinking of talent in terms of athletic but it expresses itself in a multitude of areanas.

Determination to succeed is often to be considered one of the most precious and rare talents of all. This talent can overcome others which is evident in some of the greatest players. Rice was not the most talented wr to play the game but he was the best. In fact he was widely considered slow for his position. Montana didt have the strongest arm but he too was one if the best. Both guys had unbeatable work ethic and determination to succeed and surpassed guys that were more athletic.

Mike
06-30-2011, 02:44 AM
this post is worse than the smell of regurgitation

Where have you been thus whole time? NFL is full of regulations. The whole CBA is a form of regulation. If there was no regulation the NFL would be far more like baseball & the Bills would be as hopeless as the Pirates.

better days
06-30-2011, 08:02 AM
I think you've missed my point completely. Athletic talent is not the only talent that exist in the world or the NFL. Leadership is also a talent, which some have and others don't. Character is a talent as well. I know your probably only to thinking of talent in terms of athletic but it expresses itself in a multitude of areanas.

Determination to succeed is often to be considered one of the most precious and rare talents of all. This talent can overcome others which is evident in some of the greatest players. Rice was not the most talented wr to play the game but he was the best. In fact he was widely considered slow for his position. Montana didt have the strongest arm but he too was one if the best. Both guys had unbeatable work ethic and determination to succeed and surpassed guys that were more athletic.

Talent is a God given gift. You can't teach speed or hand eye coordination. Leadership, Determination & Character can be taught & learned & therefore are not talents.

Mike
06-30-2011, 10:28 AM
Talent is a God given gift. You can't teach speed or hand eye coordination. Leadership, Determination & Character can be taught & learned & therefore are not talents.

I see, if it CAN NOT be taught or learned then it can not be improved. If it could be improved that means some one who does not have a talent can improve themselves to have it. So in your wild world where a Talent can not be Taught, Learned or Improved Why in The Word Do Professional Athletes and other talented individuals Work on Improving their talents? What you said makes Zero cense. If it can not be taught or learned or improved than why do these super fast and slow guys have coaches who show them how to become faster for the 40 yard dash?

Mike
06-30-2011, 10:30 AM

It Occurs to me that You Have No Clue What Talent is so here is the Definition:

talent |ˈtalənt|
noun
1 natural aptitude or skill : he possesses more talent than any other player | she displayed a talent for garden design.
• people possessing such aptitude or skill : I signed all the talent in Rome | Simon is a talent to watch.
• informal people regarded as sexually attractive or as prospective sexual partners : most Saturday nights I have this urge to go on the hunt for new talent.
2 a former weight and unit of currency, used esp. by the ancient Romans and Greeks.

Mike
06-30-2011, 10:37 AM
You can't teach speed or hand eye coordination

BTW you can teach speed & hand eye cordination. here is a guy who helps NFL players increase their speed:
http://www.aolnews.com/2010/01/29/tom-shaw-proves-you-can-teach-speed/

I am sure you have heard the phrase "use it or loose it" its the case for having a talent. If you do not develop it, the neurological connections in your brain, those neuro-associations will deplete. Conversely if you use your talent, those connections increase helping you improve. Its a very simply brain response. Your Body and Mind respond to your actions which are often forced by your needs and passions.

Mike
06-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Lastly Teaching Determination/Motivation is much harder than teaching anything else. If a person is determined/Motivated to learn something weather its calculus or business or how to catch a football he can get there because of the drive and determination. How ever if a person has ZERO motivation to become determined how in the world can he get himself to the point where he has the desire to become determined. Without motivation its hard to do anything.

BertSquirtgum
06-30-2011, 11:54 AM
regurgitation means puke

better days
06-30-2011, 12:23 PM
I see, if it CAN NOT be taught or learned then it can not be improved. If it could be improved that means some one who does not have a talent can improve themselves to have it. So in your wild world where a Talent can not be Taught, Learned or Improved Why in The Word Do Professional Athletes and other talented individuals Work on Improving their talents? What you said makes Zero cense. If it can not be taught or learned or improved than why do these super fast and slow guys have coaches who show them how to become faster for the 40 yard dash?

From Websters dictionary:

Talent: the NATURAL endowments of a person.

Natural endowments are something a person is born with, hence God given. What athletes do when they are Coached is to learn how to use the talent they possess properly.

Some people respond well to coaching & use their talent to its fullest while other people squander their talent.

better days
06-30-2011, 12:33 PM
It Occurs to me that You Have No Clue What Talent is so here is the Definition:

talent |ˈtalənt|
noun
1 natural aptitude or skill : he possesses more talent than any other player | she displayed a talent for garden design.
• people possessing such aptitude or skill : I signed all the talent in Rome | Simon is a talent to watch.
• informal people regarded as sexually attractive or as prospective sexual partners : most Saturday nights I have this urge to go on the hunt for new talent.
2 a former weight and unit of currency, used esp. by the ancient Romans and Greeks.

Sorry I missed this post, but they I guess you do also, or you do not understand english.

If you understood this you would stop your argument about talent. Talent is a natural aptitude or skill according to the definition YOU looked up. That means it is something a person is born with.

Mike
07-01-2011, 12:51 AM

Talent: the NATURAL endowments of a person.

Natural endowments are something a person is born with, hence God given. What athletes do when they are Coached is to learn how to use the talent they possess properly.

Some people respond well to coaching & use their talent to its fullest while other people squander their talent..

Well it looks like you have changed your position and that you Agree with me that talent can be improved! A speed runner can improve and become faster with coaching.

Obviously Talent is not a black and white issue. It is not like someone has it and someone does not. More accurately its varying degrees. We all have the aptitude towards certain skills and we can all learn those skills however some of use have more aptitude towards mastery. Leadership & Determination are natural skills, they are talents. Some people have an aptitude towards being great leaders and its easier for them to improve on their Leadership skills with training. For the rest of us, we too can improve our leadership skills in the same way we can learn how to run faster even thought we may never win the 100yard dash at the Olympics or become the President of a country.

better days
07-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Well it looks like you have changed your position and that you Agree with me that talent can be improved! A speed runner can improve and become faster with coaching.

Obviously Talent is not a black and white issue. It is not like someone has it and someone does not. More accurately its varying degrees. We all have the aptitude towards certain skills and we can all learn those skills however some of use have more aptitude towards mastery. Leadership & Determination are natural skills, they are talents. Some people have an aptitude towards being great leaders and its easier for them to improve on their Leadership skills with training. For the rest of us, we too can improve our leadership skills in the same way we can learn how to run faster even thought we may never win the 100yard dash at the Olympics or become the President of a country.

I have not changed my position. I never said a person could not be coached to better use the talent he has.

The point is leadership, determination etc that you called talent are not talent because they are not things people are born with.

Mike
07-01-2011, 04:32 PM
The point is leadership, determination etc that you called talent are not talent because they are not things people are born with.

You've never heard of the Phrase "natural born leader"? Some people are defiantly born with leadership qualities which are evident at a younge age. Anyways don't take my word for it, just look at the research! Any study done on leadership acknologes these facts and like coaching someone with the natural aptitude can improve or squander their talent.

better days
07-01-2011, 05:41 PM
You've never heard of the Phrase "natural born leader"? Some people are defiantly born with leadership qualities which are evident at a younge age. Anyways don't take my word for it, just look at the research! Any study done on leadership acknologes these facts and like coaching someone with the natural aptitude can improve or squander their talent.

Yes I have heard the phrase "natural born leader" IMO it is someone that has learned that trait at a young age. Name a study I can google by a respected University that has proven leaders are born & not developed & I will change my mind on the subject.

Mike
07-01-2011, 08:05 PM
Here are a few:

Research Study on Leadership
http://www.legacy-irc.csom.umn.edu/RePEC/hrr/papers/1302.pdf
http://www.ipacweb.org/conf/03/arvey.pdf

"Leadership Gene"
http://alquemie.smartbrief.com/alquemie/servlet/encodeServlet?issueid=D451C259-EEBD-4F88-B435-792561F6B40A&lmcid=archives
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/56/leadership.html

Book About Leadership Gene ( will alone have multiple sources and references)
http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Gene-Genetic-Life-Long-Career/dp/0273635573

better days
07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Here are a few:

Research Study on Leadership
http://www.legacy-irc.csom.umn.edu/RePEC/hrr/papers/1302.pdf
http://www.ipacweb.org/conf/03/arvey.pdf

"Leadership Gene"
http://alquemie.smartbrief.com/alquemie/servlet/encodeServlet?issueid=D451C259-EEBD-4F88-B435-792561F6B40A&lmcid=archives
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/56/leadership.html

Book About Leadership Gene ( will alone have multiple sources and references)
http://www.amazon.com/Leadership-Gene-Genetic-Life-Long-Career/dp/0273635573

Well, nothing here proves leaders are born, not developed. After doing some research myself, it looks like a subject of debate. Looks like you are not alone in your belief, I'll give you that.

Mike
07-02-2011, 11:39 PM
First your making a Nature vs Nurture argument and it could be argued the other way that Nurture -ie how you grow up, your surroundings etc- is more responsible for athletic prowess than genetics. For instance the USA gets more gold metals than any other country even though their only 5% of Global populations & obviously there's a Strong correlation between a countries wealth and its performance at the Olympics!

Well, nothing here proves leaders are born, not developed. After doing some research myself, it looks like a subject of debate. Looks like you are not alone in your belief, I'll give you that.

Obviously you don't know a thing about science so I'll will stop after this point. Science does not prove anything. In fact science has not Proved one thing in all its existence. It has not even PROVEN GRAVITY!

Proving Something is a mathematical concept, not a science. Science doesn't prove things. Proof is a mathematical concept.

Science is empirical and rational. Theories are tested, verified, cold, hard explanations of the natural world. In Science, nothing is 100%, but some of the things we know right now are as close to 100 as we can possibly go, IE, The Theory of Gravity is just about 99% confirmed!

Lastly, Did you Even Read All of Those? They are Pier reviewed journal articles.... So here is what that means:their results are verifiable and replicable just like gravity!

better days
07-03-2011, 12:57 AM
First your making a Nature vs Nurture argument and it could be argued the other way that Nurture -ie how you grow up, your surroundings etc- is more responsible for athletic prowess than genetics. For instance the USA gets more gold metals than any other country even though their only 5% of Global populations & obviously there's a Strong correlation between a countries wealth and its performance at the Olympics!

Obviously you don't know a thing about science so I'll will stop after this point. Science does not prove anything. In fact science has not Proved one thing in all its existence. It has not even PROVEN GRAVITY!

Proving Something is a mathematical concept, not a science. Science doesn't prove things. Proof is a mathematical concept.

Science is empirical and rational. Theories are tested, verified, cold, hard explanations of the natural world. In Science, nothing is 100%, but some of the things we know right now are as close to 100 as we can possibly go, IE, The Theory of Gravity is just about 99% confirmed!

Lastly, Did you Even Read All of Those? They are Pier reviewed journal articles.... So here is what that means:their results are verifiable and replicable just like gravity!

I did not read the 1st two because I could not open them, but it does not matter. As I said it is a subject up for debate. For someone that purports to be more intelligent than I am, you should learn to use spell check, it is your friend.

PromoTheRobot
07-03-2011, 10:23 PM
How do you rate talent? Madden score?

PTR