PDA

View Full Version : Lebeau's the man.

lordofgun
06-24-2003, 09:03 AM
It was clear during Buffalo's organized team activity workouts that new assistant head coach Dick LeBeau will have a strong hand in running the defense.
The veteran defensive coordinator for the Steelers and Bengals and former Bengals head coach is best known as the father of the zone blitz, and he and defensive coordinator Jerry Gray have spent many hours figuring out a way to meld the philosophy of disguising where the pass rush will originate and the nuances of the "46" scheme Gray and coach Gregg Williams brought to Buffalo from Tennessee.

Players expressed a lot of excitement over the things LeBeau is introducing.

"The blitz will come from anywhere, that's all I can say," strong safety Coy Wire said. "But we are going to be lethal."

Regardless of scheme, the Bills want to play to their strength and right now, the strength on defense is their linebacking corps of Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher and Jeff Posey. Their interplay with defensive linemen like Aaron Schobel, Keith McKenzie, Chris Kelsay, Sam Adams and Pat Williams will be intriguing as Buffalo works on improving its sack total of 31.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/6444863

justasportsfan
06-24-2003, 09:15 AM
I hope our safeties have enough talent and smarts to thrive in this promising D.

Jan Reimers
06-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Wire is going to be very good, but I don't think either PP or IR are the long term solution at FS.

lordofgun
06-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Any football player with the initials IR is in trouble. :D

justasportsfan
06-24-2003, 09:36 AM
:lol:

TypicalBill
06-24-2003, 10:13 AM
now im pumped!

:gobills:

JefftheBillsfan
06-24-2003, 10:51 AM
me 2 typ!

Stewie
06-24-2003, 10:55 AM
I can run and hit.. let me play safety

BillsNYC
06-24-2003, 03:48 PM
hmm...Kelsay they think will start?

ryven
06-25-2003, 01:06 PM
I think wire should shine in LeBeau's system.
It will be fun to watch the D this year.

TigerJ
06-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Wire is a smart guy. Yeah, he looked lost at times last season, but given the circumstances, who wouldn't? He's going to be up to speed through training camp and into the season this year. He's going to shine. I'm less convinced about the FS spot, but it won't be any worse than last year, and could get somewhat better.

The defence this year sounds really promising. Trying to run the 46 the last two years, Buffalo had two issues they couldn't overcome. First, they had lousy defensive personnel. The 46 doesn't work with so-so personnel. Second, the 46 is now a pretty old defence. There are ways to combat it that teams have learned over the years.

It was due for an overhaul. Buffalo has far better defensive personnel now, and LeBeau is almost the best guy the Bills could have to tinker with it and add the wrinkles that will make it scary again. Maybe Bellichick is better than LeBeau, but he's not an option, obviously. I'm excited.

Doc
06-25-2003, 08:54 PM
The biggest worries on defense are LDE and FS. Of those 2, I can live with Reese at FS, but if Prioleau wins the job, I don't think the FS position will be better at all. I'm hoping against hope that Reese blows Prioleau away and makes it an easy decision, but after reading prelim reports, it sounds like he'll win the starting job by default, i.e. because Prioleau is just too limited in pass coverage. I guess we'll find out the hard way.

As for LDE, there are a lot of candidates so there's hope. At worst I see the position being upgraded from Shidi, but the degree to which is what remains to be seen. The more time passes, the less sure I am that Jones will make it back. Hopefully Denney seizes his opp as well.

mypoorfriendme
06-25-2003, 09:18 PM
everyones got to keep in mind last year was the first year for both coy and PP at their positions. i have no doubt wire will have no problems adjusting this year now that hes made the move from backer to safety. he went to stanford, so hes got to be smart, even though last year he did look as confused as ryan leaf staring into a cover 2. i have faith in wire, and im sure PP will do just fine, and if not, IR did start in denver, so hes legit too

Doc
06-25-2003, 09:23 PM
True PP was new to FS last year, but he just doesn't have the cover skills to play FS. Now SS is another story and I'd be fine with him starting there if Wire struggles, although I'd worry about his durability. I just hope that someone, ANYONE, steps up at FS, and LDE as well. That's all I ask, not much more!

mypoorfriendme
06-25-2003, 11:33 PM
i think we have enough half way descent players to rotate at LDE (jones denney kelsay irons mckenzie) to where a fresh player woud be as effective as a tired better player. and as far as FS goes, i have a good feeling PP will step up his play, if not, reese will be there to snag the starting spot from him. again, competition will work for our team

Bledsoe2Henry
06-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Is it me or does anybody else feel that Dick LeBeau will be the DC by midseason? I mean, he has been working on implementing new plays and different things into the defense playbook. He also is bringing the Zone Blitz and I think that will be a great thing for this D. I am really excited and can't wait to see what this D can do.

Throne Logic
06-27-2003, 02:00 PM
I don't think we can truely judge PP's pass coverage skills based on last year's performance. Our front line was about as bad as I've ever seen. That left anyone in coverage pretty much hung out to dry. Even our "lock-down" corners were each exposed on a number of occasions. That's what happens when the opposing QB has a couple of minutes in the pocket to wait for his WR's to get open.

Let's see how PP does behind a decent front 7.

The_Philster
06-27-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Bledsoe2Henry
Is it me or does anybody else feel that Dick LeBeau will be the DC by midseason? I mean, he has been working on implementing new plays and different things into the defense playbook. He also is bringing the Zone Blitz and I think that will be a great thing for this D. I am really excited and can't wait to see what this D can do.

I hink it's not just you. To be honest, from all I've read, he's already basically got the job..just that Gray has the title and the play-calling responsibilities

Bledsoe2Henry
06-27-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I hink it's not just you. To be honest, from all I've read, he's already basically got the job..just that Gray has the title and the play-calling responsibilities

I feel that even Gray has to start worrying about losing it. Who knows. Maybe we will see LeBeau working with the defense entirely at training camp. That would tell me that Gray is just there with the title only and can lose it anytime TD wants to get rid of him. :D

The_Philster
06-27-2003, 04:12 PM

I feel that even Gray has to start worrying about losing it. Who knows. Maybe we will see LeBeau working with the defense entirely at training camp. That would tell me that Gray is just there with the title only and can lose it anytime TD wants to get rid of him. :D

Maybe he'll put forth an effort worthy of keeping the job this year. He has no excuses now. He's got the talent to work with.

BTW, :welcome: to the Zone

The first round's on LOG :cheers: :D

Michael82
06-27-2003, 05:13 PM

I agree! Jerry Gray better start worrying about his job, because Dick LeBeau is pretty much taking over. This will also be the final nail in Gregg's coffin, guys....won't it? Think of it....

Gregg Williams staff from Day 1....
OC Mike Sheppard - FIRED
DC Jerry Gray - Hanging by a thread...but is still DC.
ST Coach Danny Smith - One of the worst units on the team...needs to work on coverage. Also hanging by a thread.
OL Coach Ronnie Vinklarek - FIRED
LB Coach Miles Aldridge - FIRED

BTW....welcome to BillsZone! :cheers:

G. Host
06-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Mike32282
OL Coach Ronnie Vinklarek - FIRED
LB Coach Miles Aldridge - FIRED

BTW....welcome to BillsZone! :cheers:

Neither of these coaches had contracts renewed, they originally had 2 year contracts. They were not fired but they were not rehired.